Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm glad I found this thread - I enjoyed the sitcom RL discussion! Also I never knew about Cogmind or Jupiter Hell and they're both on my Steam wishlist now.

Really though, I'm curious if there are any roguelikes on Switch of which I'm unaware. I own and have played the heck out of: Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, Dead Cells, Into the Breach (I dunno if this counts but I'm including it!), and Tangledeep. I've been on a roguelike bender since about March - I bought and moved into a house and Roguelikes on Switch are the perfect gaming companion for packed up houses and not having time or attention to sink into a big ol' game. I put about 30 hours into Gungeon and 70 into each Dead Cells and Isaac. I haven't played Tangledeep since it was released on the Switch.

I'd do terrible things for a Switch version of Crawl, but since that'll never happen, am I missing any good RL's on Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Unexplored

And if you want to venture into rogue adjacent territory

Everspace, Ironcast, Darkest Dungeon, Slay the Spire, Risk of Rain 2

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Bunker punks was cool but not as replayable as I hoped. Dunno, with just a little more variety in procgen it could have been something special.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Switch Crawl could be done in homebrew, I know I had builds of DCSS and Nethack on my DS, way back when

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Crypt of the Necrodancer is one of the best roguelikes on the Switch I find the game difficult to play without a keyboard so it didn't catch me there, but if you don't mind playing with a d-pad it'll be great.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I remember eyeing Unexplored a year or so ago. I have Cadence of Hyrule and it was fun but just okay to me, I don't think I need more of that game play.

Slay the Spire though is in my sights to purchase next time it goes on sale.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Speaking of real time roguelikes did anyone ever play this old one I think it was a 7DRL it was like an arena setting you could choose from a couple of classes and assemble a team and fight another team. It was pretty barebones and the pacing was a little to fast for me but it was a really cool concept and I'd like to revist it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Slay the Spire's the other one that I've spent 100+ hours on along with Isaac and Gungeon. Idk how it does with the little Switch screen but the game is really really something and it's my favorite of the 3.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No Wave posted:

Slay the Spire's the other one that I've spent 100+ hours on along with Isaac and Gungeon. Idk how it does with the little Switch screen but the game is really really something and it's my favorite of the 3.

Card Quest, Trials of Fire, Monster Train, and Deck of Ashes all have differing takes on that genre if you crave more card based conflict

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've only done Monster Train out of those. MT was very fun for 40 hours and I'd totally recommend it. Will take a look at card quest.

I've also played Griftlands and would not recommend it in its current state.

StS is really remarkable though. It's certainly the best balanced game I've ever played.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Card Quest is the only game I've played to make me feel like a powerful wizard, even though it was turn-based. ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP SWISH ZAP

Monster Train meanwhile I suck at it but I'm having fun anyways and have 50 hours in it and I'm on Covenant rank 10 out of 25 so I can't see myself stopping anytime soon. (Covenants are "you beat the game? good here's a new challenge. beat it for another horrible modifier and beat me again. you get a special card frame if you make it to 25!" and I love them)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Card quest is very fun, but despite similarities on the surface it is very, very different from slay the spire. Card quest is much more of a puzzle game where your deck is something you design to solve those puzzles.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Have you guys played Poker Quest? It's basically Dicey Dungeons but with poker hands instead of dice rolls. Playing the beta's free right now, though there will be a steam release eventually.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In the end, I made myself a thread for Streets of Rogue. Enjoy it

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm glad I found this thread - I enjoyed the sitcom RL discussion! Also I never knew about Cogmind or Jupiter Hell and they're both on my Steam wishlist now.

Really though, I'm curious if there are any roguelikes on Switch of which I'm unaware. I own and have played the heck out of: Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, Dead Cells, Into the Breach (I dunno if this counts but I'm including it!), and Tangledeep. I've been on a roguelike bender since about March - I bought and moved into a house and Roguelikes on Switch are the perfect gaming companion for packed up houses and not having time or attention to sink into a big ol' game. I put about 30 hours into Gungeon and 70 into each Dead Cells and Isaac. I haven't played Tangledeep since it was released on the Switch.

I'd do terrible things for a Switch version of Crawl, but since that'll never happen, am I missing any good RL's on Switch?

There are some roguelikes that follow the old-school Japanese format on the switch, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Shiren the Wanderer being two of them. There are a couple others, but they have weird poo poo like your boobs growing as you progress in the dungeon (I'm not joking).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
loving adventurers getting a boob growing dungeon the rest of us just have to rely on genetics

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having roguelikes on the switch sounds like it'd be pretty fun, boob growing or no

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is the switch backwards compatible with older Nintendo handhelds? The remake of the original Shiren the Wanderer came out for DS.

The fifth game is supposed to be coming to Switch soon but I don't think it's out yet.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The boob one is called Omega labyrinth Life, and while it's an actual old-school Japanese roguelike, I think you will find to be a bit much. At the very least you probably won't want anyone to see you playing it. There isn't any nudity or anything as far as I'm aware, but uhh... just look at some reviews first.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Shirin the Wanderer are both solid roguelikes that also follow the old-school Japanese formula and are great games in their own right.

Edit: Shirin isn't out yet, it should be out relatively soon. They will be releasing a couple of the titles for both Switch and PC soon.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 31, 2020

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Shirin 5 is awesome but I already played to death on the ps vita. Switch lately got One Way Heroics+, tho, which is cheap and awesome.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

In the end, I made myself a thread for Streets of Rogue. Enjoy it

This game looks rad and I really want to buy this now!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is the switch backwards compatible with older Nintendo handhelds?

No.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Bunker punks was cool but not as replayable as I hoped. Dunno, with just a little more variety in procgen it could have been something special.

I really, really did not like the way it's shooting/fps mechanics felt, which sucked because otherwise it's exactly the type of game I wish there were more of. FPS roguelites are still a super untapped genre imo.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Terminally Bored posted:

Shirin 5 is awesome but I already played to death on the ps vita. Switch lately got One Way Heroics+, tho, which is cheap and awesome.

Do NOT skip One Way Heroics. It's too good.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tildes posted:

I really, really did not like the way it's shooting/fps mechanics felt, which sucked because otherwise it's exactly the type of game I wish there were more of. FPS roguelites are still a super untapped genre imo.

yeah for sure

i think the issue is that roguelike features are what excite the developers but the fps feel has to be really solid before any of that should be added to the game. the most fun "fps roguelike" i've ever played was DoomRL Arsenal, a wad for doom/doom2 that adds a bunch of weapons from DoomRL and also a lot of demon variations, and then you assemble the new weapons by adding mods to the base weapons. the roguelike layer is fairly basic stuff but, well, doom is already fun to play so it just makes it better.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

OtspIII posted:

I never posted about it in this thread, did I? Check it out here!

It's my attempt to make a real-time roguelike that keeps the strategic pace of a classic turn-based roguelike. You start with two basic abilities (dash and slash), and pick up unidentified rods and potions that gives you extra options. Once you use one fully up it gives you a permanent stat boost, too.

10 levels, 26 monsters (one per letter of the alphabet), and the ability to stop time at will. Let me know what you think!

Quoting this amazing thing since I accidently fell into it and wastedloved like 20 mins at work earlier today. First death slimeooze, second death to a huge M that I summoned from a staff and tried to plunk death because running away is dumb?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
How the gently caress did none of you point out the top-tier Chocobo's Dungeon game on Switch, do not sleep on that game. It sincerely owns and its a vastly improved and expanded port of the Wii title.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Jupiter Hell Sniper (Rifle variant) trip report:
Burst Rifle variant versus Sniper variant inconclusive. I've got another data point to compare when I run another sniper though.
Burst Rifles can pretty easily get enough accuracy at max range with use of agility mod, especially with the helmet slot. it doesn't quite feel as satisfying as a sniper rifle, but that is in part due to a confused skill build I was using that kinda sucked. Also, my last (failed) sniper run was on hard, so not an equivalent comparison.

My best guess: they're somewhat equivalent, but a Sniper rifle is a bit like a shotgun in terms of damage. The math doesn't quite feel right though, so after the hurricane goes through, I'll do another sniper run (it doesn't hurt that I enjoy that build). That doesn't stop me from enjoying a rifle on a marine or tech, but I'm inconclusive when it comes to a Scout Sniper master trait. I'm not sure if the difference I feel is real, or preconceived bias.

Also, I'm not seeing much sniper discussion in the steam/chaosforge/reddit so I don't have any better opinion to refer to.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 1, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

END ME SCOOB posted:

How the gently caress did none of you point out the top-tier Chocobo's Dungeon game on Switch, do not sleep on that game. It sincerely owns and its a vastly improved and expanded port of the Wii title.

Two problems:

It removes the card collecting and battling minigame, which isn't related to the meat of the game but it WAS pretty fun, and playing co-op changes the music inescapably to this horror:

https://youtu.be/M4ZQ3LvxW9E?t=20

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

John Lee posted:

and playing co-op changes the music inescapably to this horror:

Holy poo poo, that track really goes places

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

It removes the card collecting and battling minigame, which isn't related to the meat of the game but it WAS pretty fun, and playing co-op changes the music inescapably to this horror:

this composition is cool and i love the drums but WTF is going with the orchestration... the bridge part with the trombone is kind of awesome tho

reminds me of Hermeto Pascoal from hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Yi5pUeM-s

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Magitek posted:

Holy poo poo, that track really goes places

Oh my god

I had never engaged co-op, neither of my roommates wanted to hop in on my file instead of playing their own. That was loving wild.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

:stare:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that is really something

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

lol holy poo poo that music was worth clicking on the link for

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

lmao

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

...how? Was that written by a literal five-year-old?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the quote crowd dragged me to clicking that, was not disappointed

pumpinglemma posted:

Wouldn't go that far, it's kind of a fun tune I think :v: just... dead, dead, dead loving wrong for co-op here or any video game except possibly a joke credits scene lmao

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

John Lee posted:

Two problems:

Just needs a kazoo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pumpinglemma posted:

I was imagining the gaudy car that Homer Simpson made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
honestly I'm coming around on it