Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I mean I guess I'd be safe if I'd just let Kamek own me with facts and logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

With alpha dream dead, they should just rip off the Mario and Luigi battle system wholesale. Added bonus: your helper character can just be Luigi.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
luigi can tell mario luigi's the helper to make mario feel better while we all know the real dynamic at play

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Roach Warehouse posted:

Whaaaat? was this the cutout hand snake? I loved the hurl hammer and never saw this. That rules.

Yeah that boss denies literally everything you do unless you hammer him the right distance. If you hurl hammer he catches it and whacks you. If you use a fire flower he sumo slaps the ground and readies himself to punch the fire away. Jump at him he catches *you* and throws you etc. He's such a shithead it's really funny.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't know if I missed a tutorial message or something, but I just started the game like...yesterday, and have no idea why some of the enemies have little pissed thought bubbles.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't know if I missed a tutorial message or something, but I just started the game like...yesterday, and have no idea why some of the enemies have little pissed thought bubbles.

They're angry and do more damage. The real value though is that it can help you solve the puzzles since angry ones are usually gonna be in the same group.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is a good game and I like it a lot but was anybody else completely blindsided by the dark tone it took on Bob-ombs which is not shared by any other game in the series?

Like, after Paper Mario 1 and TTYD had Bombette and Bobbery exploding willy-nilly because you wanted to get a Super Shroom on the other side of a wall or whatever, this one had me spend a chapter and a half wondering why Bob-omb wasn't doing any explosions before suddenly learning they actually kill him and now I have a sub-objective to cheer up the mascot sidekick character because a party member's shocking suicide has left her too depressed to continue the quest. Do kids play this game?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

loquacius posted:

This is a good game and I like it a lot but was anybody else completely blindsided by the dark tone it took on Bob-ombs which is not shared by any other game in the series?

Like, after Paper Mario 1 and TTYD had Bombette and Bobbery exploding willy-nilly because you wanted to get a Super Shroom on the other side of a wall or whatever, this one had me spend a chapter and a half wondering why Bob-omb wasn't doing any explosions before suddenly learning they actually kill him and now I have a sub-objective to cheer up the mascot sidekick character because a party member's shocking suicide has left her too depressed to continue the quest. Do kids play this game?

It's okay, turns out Bobby was under the rubble all along, and when the moles bring all the rubble into the cave he shows up again. He's just fine and you can speak to him and everything, he just wants to stay in the cave because he's too tired to keep adventuring with you.

(don't tell me otherwise or you're getting ignored)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

loquacius posted:

Do kids play this game?
i'm sorry but this is the most tired take/joke possible

literally every kids media deals with dark themes except ones that are written for 1-year old babies

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
yo shy guys finish last is some trashfire poo poo lol

why the gently caress do you have to waste your time with 15 minutes of filler surrounding the 4 challenges that mean anything

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I thought I could game the roulette with timing as I was doing the first normal plot pass but then near the end the friction period changed itself up so you can't even frontload the 50 pointers to figure out whether it's a bum attempt early in instead of after 20 minutes on the 11th round or w/e

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean, just cheat with the capture button

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I felt like hot poo poo too because I got the level 3 ninji minigame correct on the first pass and then on my first perfect game attempt I rolled the level 3 ring scramble and passed that as well, but then level 3 goomba math destroyed me because I had to gamble on whether 1 or 2 goombas I overlooked out the corner of my eye left the pool and I chose poorly

I was really hoping the first try would be a beginner's luck thing but now I'm resigned to hell

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Amppelix posted:

i mean, just cheat with the capture button

that's lame IMO

I mean as in it feels personally lame to me to do it myself I don't give a poo poo if anyone else did it obviously

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i agree it's a bit lame but so is having to repeat the entire 20 minute rigamarole if you lose.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it's a shame because the minigames are neat, it'd be a great little aside with the fat cut

like hey here's the supercut, can you solve the 4 level 3 challenges in a row, mario

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
(mario's answer is no)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Amppelix posted:

literally every kids media deals with dark themes except ones that are written for 1-year old babies

Moral guardians will not cease until kids are put into a box with absolutely no way of seeing anything even slightly objectionable

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Novasol posted:

With alpha dream dead, they should just rip off the Mario and Luigi battle system wholesale. Added bonus: your helper character can just be Luigi.
I would absolutely go apeshit for Partner Attacks, which are like Bros Attacks, but Mario teams up with an inordinately knowledgeable Goomba instead.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Amppelix posted:

it was literally five minutes' game time after "thank god the crew of this ship were all just unconscious or stuck inside the sea monster fully conscious and alive, turns out not a single person died in this sea monster attack(except all of the bombs, guess they all died but they don't count)"

also as I mentioned it was a series first

the point of the post was the whiplash

Up to this point the darkest thing in any Paper Mario game apart from frequent body horror was probably the existence of the noose in Rogueport which nobody ever brought up in dialogue

e: That line in my post was supposed to be a joke and I wouldn't have put it in if I knew it was gonna be the only thing anybody commented on

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 30, 2020

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There was also a whole world being wiped from existence, after which you wandered through the white void of nothing where it used to be in Super Paper Mario.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I loved that part, I just got to the desert and the spoilered thing was one of my favorite bits so far. It really got to me in a way I would not expect from a Paper Mario game!

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

loquacius posted:

This is mostly a consequence of the first two Paper Marios being the only games in the entire franchise that play fast and loose with the nature of Bob-omb lives in order to make Bob-omb partners actually practical. In all other appearances (including, actually, the other Paper Mario games featuring them), it's pretty overt that Bob-ombs are mass-produced, one-time explosives that just happen to also have sapience, and I appreciate that TOK takes a couple of moments to explore how hosed up that is. There's been a lot of hand-wringing about how they could have at least given Bobby uniquely-colored shoes or the like, but I would argue that his character arc wouldn't be anywhere near as strong if he wasn't designed to be, literally, generic cannon fodder.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Once you have made it to the desert, go back to Shogun Studios and use the photo booth, btw

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I wish bowser were my dad

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I love the rapidfire shakeups they introduce to regular battles through the green streamer and I'd really have appreciated some kind of gauntlet mode somewhere or other in the game that incorporated the full spectrum of various gimmick enemies and scenarios into brutal brainmelter poo poo

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
also I'm pretty sure I've doubled over my time in this game listening to the OST in the museum after completing each streamer because there's seriously a day of music tallied up in this game

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's like 50 songs per chapter. It's genuinely absurd. I wonder how much of the production values were spent just going towards the music.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
speaking of the music I just reached the final area and I can't believe it still has heights to climb to

they knew they had a banger because they do the classic cool jrpg thing of carrying a song across field and battle

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Araxxor posted:

There's like 50 songs per chapter. It's genuinely absurd. I wonder how much of the production values were spent just going towards the music.

This game had FIVE different composers and they all went unbelievably hard
I just blew my friend's mind by pointing out that percussion backing in Bobby's theme includes the sound of a turnkey clicking.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Am I supposed to have found one of the numbered pipes back to Toad Town by the time I get to (green streamer)the jungle area? The enemies there are kicking my rear end and I'm pretty sure I missed an HP Up somewhere since some of them are surviving even when I solve the puzzle unless I get an Excellent hit with a Flashy weapon. I think the only way back is to go to the start of the spa area, down the light pillar, then back on the boat and off to Toad Town, and then driving the boat all the way back when I'm done, which doesn't seem ideal.

(As a perfect example of why these puzzle battles are hit-and-miss with people, most of the time my experience here has been spending 50+ seconds being baffled while staring at the rings, then hurriedly shoving them into a failed solution that at least lets me hit a full group, or even spending 200-300 coins, letting the Toads do the first slide for me, and then STILL not being able to solve it half the time. Even with my new buddy Kamek kicking rear end, I'm running out of good weapons.)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah it was the door on the right in the Lobby. If you talk to the Toad in front of said door they tell you it’s there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Am I supposed to have found one of the numbered pipes back to Toad Town by the time I get to (green streamer)the jungle area? The enemies there are kicking my rear end and I'm pretty sure I missed an HP Up somewhere since some of them are surviving even when I solve the puzzle unless I get an Excellent hit with a Flashy weapon. I think the only way back is to go to the start of the spa area, down the light pillar, then back on the boat and off to Toad Town, and then driving the boat all the way back when I'm done, which doesn't seem ideal.

(As a perfect example of why these puzzle battles are hit-and-miss with people, most of the time my experience here has been spending 50+ seconds being baffled while staring at the rings, then hurriedly shoving them into a failed solution that at least lets me hit a full group, or even spending 200-300 coins, letting the Toads do the first slide for me, and then STILL not being able to solve it half the time. Even with my new buddy Kamek kicking rear end, I'm running out of good weapons.)

There are snifits selling all the legendary weapons right in the spa's main area so you don't even need to go back to Toad Town to restock

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
Just finished the game earlier today. I agree the final boss wasn't quite as intense as expected but I liked the "phases"if you want to call them that.

Overall I'd never played a paper Mario before and I liked it. There weren't too many times where I felt bogged down by fetch quest after fetch quest, mostly just the desert. I'm definitely not going to 100% at all, but might circle back for some stuff.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
One very small, trivial nitpick since I've been watching other people's playthroughs:
For a game that insists on having so many cute faux-musical singalong moments, the localization did an uncharacteristically poor job at times writing lyrics that fit the melodies. "Go With The Flow" in particular, I have no loving clue how they intend to be sung with the way they try to have each single line fill two whole measures.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Morbi posted:

For a game that insists on having so many cute faux-musical singalong moments, the localization did an uncharacteristically poor job at times writing lyrics that fit the melodies. "Go With The Flow" in particular, I have no loving clue how they intend to be sung with the way they try to have each single line fill two whole measures.

Yeah!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The different musical sections actually come up later believe it or not, in a high stress moment

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I did try to sing Go With the Flow and it did....not work

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1289306669273366529?s=19

They really folded these dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Go With The Flow is one of those songs that was very obviously written in Japanese first and trying to adapt it to English lyrics just doesn't work at all without sounding incredibly awkward.