Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My tip for the combat sequences is to capitalize on the slow motion when you knock an enemy down. You can move the camera at full speed so use that as a chance to line up the next headshot or reload or somethin. Also, blood ammo is still super effective so don't use normal bullets even if it may seem like the situation calls for it.

Edit: and don't stack a bunch of crap on Sam in combat! On my first time through I picked up everything I walked over and all that came of it was a very wobbly Reedus with 10 blood bags and 5 extra guns I couldn't use.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm glad I'm not the only person that hates the combat sections

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't mind combat in the game regularly but the killing skeletons parts I was not a fan of.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Build 5 more road segments way up in the mountains and finally accepted the south knot quest. It was a hilariously chill mission since I safely took my highway all the way there. They wanted to play a music track after it too so I got off my bike and walked very slowly to let it play out a little.

Then I got to the first part of the game I haven't enjoyed. Died several times on this dumb war mission. Non-lethal stuff doesn't seem very helpful, I just keep getting gunned down when trying to rambo it. I'll come back tomorrow after watching BIG SARU do it.I'm not about trying to fight the weirdo from my bb memories.

Ok drat, obviously won't be able to pull this off but cool to know strand works.

It's a chore, but it isn't as difficult as it might first seem. Facts:

1. The shotgun sucks
2. The rifle doesn't
3. You have infinite access to health insects
4. It's a fight of attrition

That's really all you need. Enemy AI isn't very good and bar Mads Mikkelsen they don't actually hurt very much unless you run out into the open. Just take pot shots at them from around corners, go for a jog if you run out of Rifles and remember that you will have to down Mikkelsen three times. Ignore non-lethal, it's just a slower and riskier way of achieving the same objective.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I found the shotgun was pretty clutch in close, I wouldn’t rely on it but if you find yourself face-to-face, whip it out and go wild. I passed the Vietnam sequence by the skin of my teeth thanks to the shotgun. Got a B rating but whatever, back to cut scenes. That was the only one that gave me any trouble.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Blingee: A Hideo Kojima Game

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Shinmera posted:

Blingee: A Hideo Kojima Game

this game has gravitas

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Don't be so serious.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried for a bit more at the combat section but I straight up wasn't having a good time. Lowering difficulty would've been smarter but I just grabbed a cheat table for that section to get passed it, don't feel bad about it at all. Then I unlocked the ziplines and proceeded to immediately ignore their obvious attempts to get me to monkey up the mountain the hard way when I have a road that practically leads right to where they want me to go.

Loaded truck full of every scrap of ceramic and metal I could and went back up the long mountain road, only to once again realize they wouldn't let me sequence break in any fashion. Still made it up to mountain knot nearly on truck only. These last few highway pylons are going to be tough to complete, they very purposely put one pylon that takes almost 10k of metal/ceramic to stop highwayman like myself from just truckin on up. Chiral crystals are also becoming quite scarce for these last few. Here's hoping the three next centers I officially open have the required mats. I suppose once I finish this highway, I can build a zip network, but that seems like such a hassle, manually carrying chems and special alloys to and fro. Maybe I'm just spoiled not having to use a ladder or climbing anchor in so long. Definitely should build zips to chiral artist and weather station because I always avoid their deliveries due to the hassle.

I have 5 stars from almost everyone, besides Mama, South Knot (close tho), Director (just need to do one more to officially get the star, bots got me to 4.99 stars already), and of course pizza man at barely 1, maybe even under? ...oh wait, Lake Knot dude STILL hasn't gotten that last sliver of 5 star. I kept thinking maybe the game was holding it back until story progression but we're way past that being the hub now. It's just weird bringing him a huge load of regular orders and lost parcels and he's just like "meh." Even the dude's face is severely unimpressed with everything.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

You don't need materials to build ziplines, just to upgrade them. A level 2 zipline has an extra 50 feet of range but that's all, so if you plan ahead you can stretch out a network with a few carefully selected upgrades.

You don't have to build ziplines at all but making the grand zipline network from coast to coast was one of the big highlights of the game for me! Not all at once, of course. I'd build out, go raise levels with some preppers to get more bandwidth, and build some more. I'd love more open world/action games that let you build your own infrastructure!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Finished the game last night finally, wow that was a ride. Loved the game start to finish except for some of those boss fights.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lou Takki posted:

Finished the game last night finally, wow that was a RIDE with Norman Reedus

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

You don't need materials to build ziplines, just to upgrade them. A level 2 zipline has an extra 50 feet of range but that's all, so if you plan ahead you can stretch out a network with a few carefully selected upgrades.

You don't have to build ziplines at all but making the grand zipline network from coast to coast was one of the big highlights of the game for me! Not all at once, of course. I'd build out, go raise levels with some preppers to get more bandwidth, and build some more. I'd love more open world/action games that let you build your own infrastructure!

True I just have an upgrade addiction. I'm always keeping up on my 5 stars game, plenty of bandwidth to go around. I should go back to the first level sometime and check on those old boys and see if there are any secret preppers out there I missed.

I was also thinking I could use a Zipline network to get over the mountain and to these last 3 mountain pylons. Yeah, highway directly to them is cool but it is quite the long drive in a pretty slow vehicle. I keep meaning to time a trip from the "starting point" of a highway haul to the next available pylon. I'm mostly out mats right now anyway, but I'd be curious which was faster, one mega-haul the highway-way, or zipping up and down a mountain range 300m at a time carrying only 300 or so worth of mats at a time.

My money is still on truck, the absolute volume it can carry is boggling. Chiral Crystal farming is annoying, especially when I don't travel on foot or deal with BTs for a long time. I have found a few caches of hella chiralium but they're pretty rare. Part of me is tempted to send out bot deliveries, then rest in private room, and repeat just to get my outpost resources back up. So much stuff would decay though, maybe even my precious roads.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I finished my mountain zipline network and it's pretty amazing to fly around making tons of deliveries with ease. The cherry on top was making a line from the Spiritualist to the Waystation North of Mountain Knot to make a complete ring. Also surprisingly fun to revisit old ziplines and try to condense them to save some bandwidth.

Next step is to connect to the lower left stops after Heartman

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

ngl i fuckin loved Sam constantly talking about how FUCKIN BADASS it would be to see this AWESOME BIKE on RIDE with Norman Reedus while using the RIDE-branded special bike

my greatest disappointment with Death Stranding is the inability to have my private rooms stocked with the far superior MONSTER ULTRA WHITE

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do other player Ziplines not show up or only in the next zones I haven't QPID'd yet?

What's a good load out for a Zip trip? I guess it probably doesn't matter too much aside from the PPC2s, ropes and ladders if you need em, but you could always zip back to get em on demand, right? And I could get my route differences much closer to 1 with the right zip network. Hmm I can feel the zip madness forming inside.

Wheeee posted:

ngl i fuckin loved Sam constantly talking about how FUCKIN BADASS it would be to see this AWESOME BIKE on RIDE with Norman Reedus while using the RIDE-branded special bike

my greatest disappointment with Death Stranding is the inability to have my private rooms stocked with the far superior MONSTER ULTRA WHITE

I was actually surprised when they replaced the monster with timefall porter. 3 Monsters and a bug is a bad breakfast no matter how you slice it, but 3 beers and a bug can't be better! I also like how it can turn my sweat and filth ytime-rain into Monster to drink on the go. I've yet to see the RIDE ride outside of taking a dump.

Speaking of, I took a brown dip in a hot spring known for its ability to ease bowel tension to facilitate making GBS threads. Tried to tell myself it was hot mud, but come on, it was clearly a steaming pool of diarrhea water.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 31, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite thing about that whole section of the game world is that the facilities form the shape of Sam's dreamcatcher:

And I have NO idea if it was intentional or not. It's so close to being the exact shape but not quite. The knotted ties on the dreamcatcher even correspond to the locations of the facilities what with there being no knot on the top left corner!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 31, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hmm but what does the butt shaped lake symbolize i wonder

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think you'll find the lake is actually shaped like a nice healthy set of testes, to represent the way plants reproduce the same way as humans do and in that way we are connected with nature such that when Sam reconnects a knot he brings the earth back to life, and furthermore

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

So much stuff would decay though, maybe even my precious roads.

Roads decay very slowly, don't worry about them.

CJacobs posted:

My favorite thing about that whole section of the game world is that the facilities form the shape of Sam's dreamcatcher:

And I have NO idea if it was intentional or not. It's so close to being the exact shape but not quite. The knotted ties on the dreamcatcher even correspond to the locations of the facilities what with there being no knot on the top left corner!

:eyepop:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Do other player Ziplines not show up or only in the next zones I haven't QPID'd yet?

They began to show up more for me as I crossed into mountain territory, but yes they show up and have been integral to my obsessively having ziplines in place to never have to walk anywhere more than once.

As to the RIDE bike, you get the design well before ziplines from a delivery I think, I forget exactly, but build one and ride around on it.

CJacobs posted:

this fuckin game

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Khanstant posted:

hmm but what does the butt shaped lake symbolize i wonder

that was made by Buttman. he's otherwise normal he just shits his pants every 20 minutes on the dot

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, here's something I found out on my PC version replay: You don't unlock no. 2 grenades until you poop in the private room. But just using the toilet isn't enough, you have to have eaten a cryptobiote first or else Sam doesn't have anything in him to poop. Even the game mechanics acknowledge that the dude never eats anything. Have a sandwich or something Sam please!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of which, here's something I found out on my PC version replay: You don't unlock no. 2 grenades until you poop in the private room. But just using the toilet isn't enough, you have to have eaten a cryptobiote first or else Sam doesn't have anything in him to poop. Even the game mechanics acknowledge that the dude never eats anything. Have a sandwich or something Sam please!!

I never actually made that connection.

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I liked that Heartman's lake heart looks normal but when you walk across his house it adds a line that makes the heart look all distended and poo poo. Nice one Kojima.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

surprisingly fun to revisit old ziplines and try to condense them to save some bandwidth.

That was a fun section of the game most people probably missed out on, it was like being in a city planning simulator for a while.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

that was made by Buttman. he's otherwise normal he just shits his pants every 20 minutes on the dot

Being made to sit there and watch his face contorting for three full minutes was a bit uncomfortable but hey, it's a Kojima game.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Johnny Sasaki lives!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Being made to sit there and watch his face contorting for three full minutes was a bit uncomfortable but hey, it's a Kojima game.

during that scene you're meant to be looking around the room, there's actually a ton of things you can zoom in on for close-ups and likes

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
don't forget to zoom in on the stuff near the ground before it gets... y'know, drenched

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Off to build some roads!

And when I donated the leftover supplies:

:350:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Just had a fun fight. On my way to the evo devo biologist, picking up the tar extraction devices, I brought two assault rifles expecting to run into BTs. Rather than try to sneak all around, I just let myself get dragged for the boss fight. Then I see TWO lions :monocle:. I wouldn't have survived without the tip ITT to summon other Sams for help.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Pawn 17 posted:

Just had a fun fight. On my way to the evo devo biologist, picking up the tar extraction devices, I brought two assault rifles expecting to run into BTs. Rather than try to sneak all around, I just let myself get dragged for the boss fight. Then I see TWO lions :monocle:. I wouldn't have survived without the tip ITT to summon other Sams for help.

So many times that has saved me toward the end of the game, that was a great tip. I spam that button to feed my thirst for rocket launchers and grenade launchers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thank christ

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pawn 17 posted:

Yeah the double BT fights are a rude surprise when they start showing up thank god for my weird pale friends

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Pawn 17 posted:

Just had a fun fight. I wouldn't have survived without the tip ITT to summon other Sams for help.
how ?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Hit the touchpad whenever you're in a boss fight and Sam will call out for help, which summons other Sams from the tar to throw you some more grenades and blood bags.

well poo poo the more you know

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 1, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hit the touchpad whenever you're in a boss fight and Sam will call out for help, which summons other Sams from the tar to throw you some more grenades and blood bags.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

this game would be a lot better with no boss fights, they're all terrible incompetent poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Cool I was wondering why the game’s performance suddenly got worse yesterday. Losing freezes got so much worse