Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Speaking of purple, I’m very upset that Trek didn’t keep the purple and black color scheme on the 2021 Fuel EXs. It makes my new bike decisionmaking that much harder.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

BeastPussy posted:

I'm not partial to purple on my own bikes but that's gonna look real cool.

how dare you

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What's the deal with companies moving to carbon only frames? Is it that much more profitable? I'm in the market for a new bike sometime in the next few months and every single one I've narrowed it down to don't have an alloy option.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

how dare you

Wow that feature looks really cool.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I finally found a bike to buy so checking into the purple club

Roscoe 8, overpriced as poo poo but I'll have it for a while at least. Had to go to "women's" labeled frames to get a good color.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Boogalo posted:

I finally found a bike to buy so checking into the purple club

Roscoe 8, overpriced as poo poo but I'll have it for a while at least. Had to go to "women's" labeled frames to get a good color.

That’s a cool bike. Even if overpriced, everything on it is solid and you’ll be probably be glad you paid a bit more for a bike that needs nothing and has no weak links.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tacier posted:

That’s a cool bike. Even if overpriced, everything on it is solid and you’ll be probably be glad you paid a bit more for a bike that needs nothing and has no weak links.

Definitely, nothing needs upgrading and any changes are me having to figure out my comfort level for things ex: moving the bars up and down, trying a shorter stem or riser bars and better grips, etc. It's hella fun to ride even though I'm bad and have a lot of confidence to build.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2020

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

yoohoo posted:

What's the deal with companies moving to carbon only frames? Is it that much more profitable? I'm in the market for a new bike sometime in the next few months and every single one I've narrowed it down to don't have an alloy option.

What bikes are you looking at? It tends to vary by company and model.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BeastPussy posted:

I'm not partial to purple on my own bikes but that's gonna look real cool.

A bit late, but Imma point out you are very wrong and purple is an awesome color for everything.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Boogalo posted:

It's hella fun to ride even though I'm bad

Thread title

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

jesus WEP posted:

Thread title

:hmmyes:

mods?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

vikingstrike posted:

What bikes are you looking at? It tends to vary by company and model.

Mostly the Spur, Optic, 5010, and Fuel 8. Transition's new lineup are all cf and Santa Cruz said they aren't making alloy frames for certain bikes anymore. Norco had alloy as an option on the Optic in 2019 but 2020 is all cf. Bikes are already pricey as hell I don't want to pay the cf tax on top.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not sure I have any advice on those particular bikes, but the new Hightower has an alloy model if you’re looking at Santa Cruz bikes. Specialized also sells the new Stumpjumper as an alloy bike. I’d guess you might have better luck finding aluminum bikes from the larger companies: Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc. You could look for an older Guerilla Gravity frame as another option. Maybe like a last generation Smash?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I don't mean to say there aren't options out there, I've spent a lot of time looking and reading, it just so happens that 3 of the 4 I've settled on don't offer aluminum when they did last year. I'm just noticing a trend that I hope doesn't pick up.

I'm not in any hurry to buy, I'm moving back west next month and I'm going to try before I buy, so the models I've *settled* on could easily end up not being what I go with. But I don't really care for most Specialized or Giant bikes.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 1, 2020

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Maybe check out out the Banshee Phantom/Prime or new Commencal Meta TR?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Probably costs more to do both an aluminum and
Carbon version so if bike companies are feeling production pinches then maybe they may be cutting versions

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Carbon has gotten a lot cheaper and more reliable to produce as well, a trend that will only continue going forward.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That's so many button pushes though! Like at least 3! Ok fine.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If I was going to buy an aluminum bike I would go pick up a Ripmo AF

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo-af

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Elmnt80 posted:

That's so many button pushes though! Like at least 3! Ok fine.

:hf:

Ropes4u posted:

:same:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Ropes4u posted:

A friend of mine has a Ripmo AF and absolutely loves it.

...how the hell is anyone getting a new bike these days, anyhow? Any time one of my favorite local shops gets any new inventory it’s gone in a day.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The more expensive bikes are still somewhat available. Although those are running out too. I might have just ordered something, and it might have been the last one.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Boogalo posted:

figure out my comfort level for things ex: moving the bars up and down, trying a shorter stem or riser bars and better grips, etc.

Trek makes a good bike but I’ll never understand why their stack heights are the same (low) all the way from S to M/L. It defies logic and anatomy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tacier posted:

Trek makes a good bike but I’ll never understand why their stack heights are the same (low) all the way from S to M/L. It defies logic and anatomy.

This and the knock block make me slightly regret my ex 8. I have 50mm riser bars now because of that and I'm still not super thrilled with the fit. And a threaded BB would be nice. And and

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

This and the knock block make me slightly regret my ex 8. I have 50mm riser bars now because of that and I'm still not super thrilled with the fit. And a threaded BB would be nice. And and

I am curious what about knock block you don't like. I honestly haven't even noticed it but I feel like the trails in michigan are a lot tighter and twistier than out here.

I am considering a different bike next year...I am kind of hoping that next spring will have a bike excess with everyone buying pretty much anything they can this year.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Notice the 50mm riser bars? Nobody makes those in 35mm diameter. Had to get the adapter to run a normal stem and 31.8 bars. Even then, you can only get bontrager stems with the knock block and there are only 3 sizes. It's not consumer friendly as they only did it to make their frames cheaper (one less bend) and results in less angle for the bars to rotate and proprietary parts. For many it's probably not a big deal and wasn't a deal breaker for me either. I just probably wouldn't buy into it again given the choice.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Makes sense. I guess I feel like my bike fits well do maybe less of a deal.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Never hit the knock block while riding even the tightest trails and have come to really like it for manhandling the bike while dismounted. Feels weird now when I'm moving my wife's bike and the bars just... keep spinning.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I hit it a few times on the rental bike I had, and it even caused a very low speed crash at one point, but I’m sure both that I could get used to it and that it’s likely my own incompetence as a rider. I’m still likely to get the Fuel EX at some point here.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hit a newly opened trail in leadville today (off the fee area sign by the molly brown campground)

Pretty easy but fun, I'm excited to try it on the journeyman next time I'm up that way

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Most of my gripes on the Roscoe are the mentioned low stack and threaded bb but also the weird cable routing around the BB and lack of thru-axle on the rear and 120mm vs 130mm fork. It's just a gaping hole for the cables instead of nice small holes for cables to exit from and an access hatch to get to them internally. For almost $1800, there are similar or lower priced bikes that have the things it lacks.
(Yes i got that scraped cable replaced under warranty)

Color is fantastic though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is strange cable routing on the Roscoe.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Qr rear? Really?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Kona Jake the Snake has the same style routing. I actually kind of like it, it lets water and dirt drain out without collecting around the BB.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

QR is annoying today but yeah I prefer that cable routing honestly. I suppose I'll be on record as pro big ole holes

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

That’s a speed hole.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

quote:

It's hella fun to ride even though I'm bad

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
lol at thinking MTB prices are in any way related to production cost. They're moving to carbon because both carbon and aluminum frames cost a miniscule amount to make compared to what they charge, and they can charge much more for carbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Source your quotes?