Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
More specifically it detects potential murder victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

muscles like this! posted:

Best way to finish a duel is definitely Heavenly Strike.

Yeah, wound up taking out Kojiro that way when down to low health and one resolve, was pure joy to see. Other duels were much easier when I was smart enough to come in with full resolve unlike my previous catastrophe; seems like there was something about that one duelist Duel in the Drowning Marsh guy that made it hard to time my moves also, but with enough resolve I toughed it out. Others were much easier at least. I wouldn't call myself more than OK at this game but I swear there's something about the duels in this game where I always manage to have a cinematic looking finish if I win. Two were finished with a perfect parry/counter, one I did the perfect dodge version, finished one guy with Blade Dance, and even the last guy who went to a regular attack the game had Jin do this amazing slash and turn move with it. Very morale boosting after all the horrible deaths previously on my first attempt.

Ostrava posted:

Did it feel like the timing of the Show Down button release changed suddenly to anyone? I started the game on Hard and I'm what seems like mid Act 2.

I can't tell if I'm imagining it but the patch seems to have changed the timing of the Show Down. Either that or the more numerous Gold and Blue enemies means I'm encounter them more and maybe they have faster timings?

Anyone else? It's so noticable I swapped away from the Sakai clan armor, I really liked it's bonus because I was nailing the show downs all the time

Act 2 Show Downs are harder timing, pretty much because of the harder enemy types. I could tell when I was learning the area when I finally started nailing the showdowns. Also I use the "bigger window for parry/dodge" charm, maybe that affects the Show Down timing too? I still mess up some of them even now, and I expect when I finally hit Act 3 I'll suck again for a while.

And as tradition, got my own "drat this game is pretty" screenshots:

(minor Act 2 spoiler, poor Yuriko, at least I got this right in time)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mantis42 posted:

This is the first game of this style where I never use the detective vision.

I think I've only used it once or twice in massive camps or farmsteads to find that last lone Mongol I need to kill. The stealth is never demanding enough to need it, but some of the Act 3 camps definitely have the strongest design in terms of giving you lots of grapple points and verticality. It's a decent Tenchu experience.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mantis42 posted:

This is the first game of this style where I never use the detective vision.

I don't think the game needed it at all. It's thrilling to go into a tent and surprise, there are some Mongols in there (I can relate, this happens when I go camping) and you have to be on your toes to dispatch them quickly.

But they did include it and I'm glad it's not all powerful at the beginning. It's a good trade-off to make you go slower and then think, do I really want to spend points upgrading this or can I live with this nerfed version? I haven't put any points into it yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I liked how getting caught by one enemy doesn’t mean the whole camp is alerted. There’s a small window where you can still trigger an assassination and if that isn’t available a quick fight will not raise the alarm unless you let them yell or use the horn alarm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I liked how getting caught by one enemy doesn’t mean the whole camp is alerted. There’s a small window where you can still trigger an assassination and if that isn’t available a quick fight will not raise the alarm unless you let them yell or use the horn alarm.

Does the horn summon reinforcements from outside the camp or is it just for alerting the rest of the camp?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Ostrava posted:

I saw the pic in this post as a small thumbnail and i got Fallout in Japan vibes... now I want Japanese Fallout. (Not Bethesda)

That came out 75 years ago.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I used the (minor act 2 spoiler) blow gun on a dude at a mongol camp and got a goofy flashback to a "we inspire others with our actions" talk with Shimura as the enemy was spazzing out

These flashbacks happen at the most amazing moments

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lobok posted:

Does the horn summon reinforcements from outside the camp or is it just for alerting the rest of the camp?

It's just an alert and I don't think the horns even alert the entire camp, depending on the size. It doesn't spawn additional enemies though.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 31, 2020

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

free hubcaps posted:

the refined version w/o antlers kinda looks like Shredder from tmnt

I really like wearing the sakai armour and helmet, dyed black, with the white purity of war mask. It just makes you look very creepy.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lethal is quite a big difference in how fast you die. Last time I just played through as “Jin”. This time I can’t decide if I want to play “wandering swordsman” and go ronin/Kensei armor and only use swords and kunai, or just go full sword/bow honor dork with huge armor.

Edit: lethal does not gently caress around. Early game is hard as hell with no skills.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 31, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1289223064157163521?s=20

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not enough pets. Do better, people.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPCpMSHwOfA

:allears:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
so i finally figured out how to take a picture and load it up here

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 31, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is actually one of my complaints with the game, there’s a lot of endgame MMO tier style builds that just completely evaporate the challenge from the last third of the game. I specced out max Terrorize and it was just utterly hilarious, albeit thematically appropriate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This video is loving incredible

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

lol

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Lobok posted:

I don't think the game needed it at all. It's thrilling to go into a tent and surprise, there are some Mongols in there (I can relate, this happens when I go camping) and you have to be on your toes to dispatch them quickly.

But they did include it and I'm glad it's not all powerful at the beginning. It's a good trade-off to make you go slower and then think, do I really want to spend points upgrading this or can I live with this nerfed version? I haven't put any points into it yet.

It's only a tradeoff if you leave it unupgraded. 2 points into it makes you move as fast as normal crouching; once I got that early in the game there was no reason to not use it any time I wanted to crouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQD3JzDjmRg

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 31, 2020

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Since that stat of "enemies fled in fear" made me think of it: I highly recommend a fear build.

Maxed out ghost armor
Major Charm that increases triggering of fear by 25% I think
Minor charms that cause %fear when someone is set on fire

Throw in the perfect parry skills and ghost stance and boy, I didn't have to fight a whole bunch of dudes. Just make sure to use your fire oil, fire arrows, bombs and exploding arrows.

It's hilariously effective. An Act3/endgame build to be sure, but still awesome once you get to it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magus42 posted:

It's only a tradeoff if you leave it unupgraded. 2 points into it makes you move as fast as normal crouching; once I got that early in the game there was no reason to not use it any time I wanted to crouch.

this is the reason my last purchased talent was the revive yourself one, after I had gone through almost all of the game. It's so easy to generate resolve and I didn't want to completely remove the penalty for me trying something cool and loving up, it's already pretty tame as it is lol

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I managed to mount one of the decorative horses outside of Omi Monastery I think.

I couldn't move the horse or jump off it or dismount or anything. The only action I was able to perform was swing the sword, which looked even more ridiculous.

I name this horse, Titanic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started Act 2. Is each act about 1/3 of the game, or is the third act shorter (which seems like a decent possibility since the first act consisted of half the map and the second seems to be the other half)?

I have predictions about the Ishikawa quest chain that it will turn out that he tried to make romantic advances on Tomoe or something. I assumed this at first, then decided against it after the reveal of him training some guy who did bad things, and then returned to it after Masako made some comment about "an old man taking in this young woman being trouble." Also Ishikawa just comes off as very dubious in general; dude is definitely trying to hide something still.

I really like how there aren't really any "filler" quests in this. As far as I can tell, every quest has at least some sort of plot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magus42 posted:

It's only a tradeoff if you leave it unupgraded.

But that's what I mean. I did not think it was worth the points early on (still don't) and that's the trade-off. You get or enhance your other skills and tools at the expense of leaving the hearing in its initial form.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I have predictions about the Ishikawa quest chain that it will turn out that he tried to make romantic advances on Tomoe or something. I assumed this at first, then decided against it after the reveal of him training some guy who did bad things, and then returned to it after Masako made some comment about "an old man taking in this young woman being trouble." Also Ishikawa just comes off as very dubious in general; dude is definitely trying to hide something still.

He does have secrets but they relate more to why he's no longer a samurai, not that. He really did consider Tomoe his daughter.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
also does the timing for standoffs get tighter as you progress in to Act 2 cuz I'm getting fuckin wrecked suddenly

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Skypie posted:

also does the timing for standoffs get tighter as you progress in to Act 2 cuz I'm getting fuckin wrecked suddenly

I think it depends on the enemy level (the color/amount of armor they're wearing). More advanced guys will feint more and will close the distance more quickly, it feels like

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I fail the initial standoff half the time against gold-tier Mongols and ronin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

404notfound posted:

I think it depends on the enemy level (the color/amount of armor they're wearing). More advanced guys will feint more and will close the distance more quickly, it feels like

I had a guy in Act 2 do the stand-off by standing much closer to me and it made me think of bowling and stepping over the line. Cheating trash that guy was.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game needs a duel rush mode so badly

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

SkeletonHero posted:

That came out 75 years ago.

Too soon.

Aphrodite posted:

That's not enough pets. Do better, people.

Stroth posted:

God damnit fox stop disappearing while I pray I still need to pet you

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A definitely interesting look is full black Sakai armor with thief wrap face. At a lot of angles it looks like just a black suit of armor moving on its own.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Anyone else mostly just trot the horse (dapple Sora) along the land and not gallop around all that much? Its just fin to travel along, seeing what there is to see, sometimes finding flowers and sometimes Mongols to murder.

God I would love to see this as a full ronin wandering Japan thing.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I got the Gosaku and please, game, just give me a giant maned helm so I can be Takeda Shingen from Sengoku Basara

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Skypie posted:

I got the Gosaku and please, game, just give me a giant maned helm so I can be Takeda Shingen from Sengoku Basara

I've got good news for you. Keep upgrading that armor.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I've gotten enimies to flee in terror even without any gear/charms/weapons/techniques that can make enemies flee. I wonder if "leveling" or the legend system or whatever also has a chance to terror as a hidden stat? It would make sense in game at least.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Welp. Just got my first plat ever with this game and I even got the (armor) white Ghost armor I wanted. Happy ending all around.

Ending spoiler: Poor uncle... :(

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Magus42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQD3JzDjmRg

oh my god lol

also i know the complaint about trivializing the game is justified but I honestly think its cool af that there are op endgame builds like this

e:do patrols disappear when you beat the game? I've been roaming around the beach south of Drowned Man's Shore practicing standoffs, there seem to be patrols all over the place there and it seems like a good place for dicking around

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 1, 2020

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Skypie posted:

disjoe posted:

Wearing the fully upgraded Gosaku armor and running around killing fools like Takeda Shingen from Samurai Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Just beat the game and picked the option that all HONORABLE SAMURAI would take. I like what they did with the controller there.

I’ve had a poo poo ton of fun with this game but I’ll be happy to put it down after I get the plat. Act 3 was so bleak/depressing it put kind of a bad taste in my mouth.