Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

Pretty sure the entire Royals record setting World Series bullpen is available

Davis is still on the Rockies and Holland signed a minor league deal with KC.

Julio Cruz posted:

too bad you missed the boat on Fernando Rodney

e: wait no, he signed with an indy ball team so he's still available

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

you broke my grill posted:

that's what it took to convince people to wear batting helmets
I thought Ray Chapman is the only player to die as a direct result of a baseball injury, and it resulted in a new ball any time it got dirty (a precipitating factor in the end of the deadball era). Batting helmets weren't mandatory until 1971.

edit: batting helmets were in use sporadically and by different teams s early as 1941, and several teams started mandating them in the 50's but it didn't become universally mandated and enforced for decades

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 31, 2020

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Was he at the summer camp or did he just happen to get it? Not trying to sound like a heartless bastard here, genuinely curious

No he just happened to get it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sydin posted:

Alright so we've got Kimbrel and Allen, are there any other thoroughly washed up closers we can add in to create the ultimate over the hill bullpen?

Pretty sure Jamie Moyer is warming up in his back yard

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

sounds like the entire league is being infected with BASEBALL FEVER

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cubs signed cody allen, LMAO thanks for the memories cody

They defeated the 2016 Indians, now they must become the 2016 Indians.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

you broke my grill posted:

that's what it took to convince people to wear batting helmets

It was actually Joe Adcock getting hit in the helmet and walking it off at a time when helmets were optional. People who saw the fastball hit him in the temple thought he died, but he didn't even have to leave the game. There's not really any analogy for this situation, I hope they cancel the season very soon before someone dies or gets a lifelong disability.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I wonder if they'd have gone ahead with the season had Freddie Freeman died from his bout with Covid. The skeptic in me says no, that the players would wear black bands and touching pre-game tributes would be produced but the games would go right ahead just the same.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If any player died it would be a major quake to everything.

But I do think there's a practical difference between someone who caught it before all this vs all these cases during it. The former is a sign of how serious we should be taking this. The latter is a sign of how badly they're not taking this seriously.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What’s the deal with moving Player Pool guys off the active roster? I saw a comment that one of the reasons the Marlins are just plain shut down is because they don’t want to put a bunch of their top prospects on the active roster and then make them go through waivers once they’re bumped for the return of the regular players. This can’t be the case, can it? I haven’t been able to find a clear explanation of how everything works this year, but MLB has to have anticipated this scenario and worked out a deal for teams to freely move their guys around without it counting against their number of options. MLB can’t be that incompetent. Right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I believe they are in fact that incompetent.

Remember, they're supposed to cut down to 26 man rosters in a couple of weeks. MLB's plan has always been "this is gonna be totally fine."

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Shinjobi posted:

gently caress the Astros and everyone whose essence they've touched in the timestream

Including my own!!!!!!!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Here's a dumb question:

Why is this season happening lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALFbrot posted:

Here's a dumb question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUj6GGVYrh4&t=317s

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

Here's a dumb question:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Baw gahd that's Ted Dibiase, The Million-Dollar Man!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

How does Dibiase keep getting away with this?!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/snyyankees/status/1289290474537197569?s=20

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Incoming tommy john surgery

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1289304394312212481
Lol "the sport"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

'The sport" is on you Manfred

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hahahahahaha of course this is all going to result in Manfred and the owners blaming the players and coaches for the shutdown. It was always going to end that way because the people running this sport are human garbage.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"This sport really needs to be managed better" says man in charge of managing sport.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"This sport really needs to be managed better" says man in charge of managing sport.

:emptyquote:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There was a bit more:
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1289305783180484608

He really is trying to drag everyone into this colossal failure.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

"We did all we could," Manfred lamented, "but baseball could just not protect itself."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

"If I don't do a better job, your players are going to be sent home." is a hell of a threat

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Manfred trying to pin this on the players and use it as leverage in a CBA negotiation. :lol:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

This is a prime “we’re all trying to find the guy who did this” meme opportunity.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Manfred really taking a page from the Trump playbook on this one. Funny how the people in charge aren't to blame for any of these outbreaks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Blaming the players was always going to be the playbook from the start, and unfortunately the loving Marlins players handed Manfred a crystal clear justification to use. The fact is that the Marlins were even in a position to be able to make a decision to play or not despite positive cases is a monumental failing of the MLB and also proof that they completely botched creating and enforcing the rules, but my guess is a lot of the public will just accept a simple "players violated the health rules and it killed the season" justification.

gently caress the owners, etc.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1289205119741915139

:hmmyes:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Astros scandal: let the players off

Covid scandal: blame the players

Never attempts a shred of responsibility for the running of the league. It's always someone else's fault.

Resign Manfred. Resign in shame and what you have done to baseball.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

What the hell this is a stu--oh the Giants made the cut let's rock and roll

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Astros scandal: let the players off

Covid scandal: blame the players

Never attempts a shred of responsibility for the running of the league. It's always someone else's fault.

Resign Manfred. Resign in shame and what you have done to baseball.

https://twitter.com/bobfescoe/status/1289306634347360256

I look forward to Manfred reading and responding to all these takes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ScottMillerBbl/status/1289312104286060544

Seriously can we please just raze the entire state of Florida off the face of the earth?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
STOP SLAPPING HANDS

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

kolby posted:

We all love baseball but chill out with the, "gently caress EVERY TEXAN AND THEIR FAMILIES -- IT'S SUCH A lovely STATE"

gently caress people who defended the cheating if you want, but holy poo poo, you're really amped up about stuff that has nothing to do with baseball. we get it, texas hurt you

I never said anything about "gently caress every texan and their families" in that post. I have plenty of family in and from Texas. Your response is overly sensitive.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Baseball truly is America the Sport