Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

And Tyler Too! posted:

So is it just me or is FF7R really, *really* stingy with gil?

If you end up using a lot of potions and phoenix downs, it can get pretty expensive I guess. I found I basically never had to buy armor, there are very few weapons you need to buy with gil, and you pick up enough random materia if you look around that I didn't really buy much of those either, so I usually was not short on money, but I've seen some streamers be pretty strapped for cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

And Tyler Too! posted:

So is it just me or is FF7R really, *really* stingy with gil?

Yes. But you will have eventually hundreds of thousands with nothing to use it on.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

And Tyler Too! posted:

I finally finished FF15 and I feel like the back half was rushed. I wanted to take out the evil nasty empire, its evil nasty king, and his evil nasty generals and it turns out they were all unceremoniously killed offscreen, and Niflheim is abandoned, rip.

I felt that the reunion with the rest of the guys years later fell flat emotionally.

Also laughed at Cindy being AWOL because God forbid we show fanservice girl getting old.

I eventually gave up on the game shortly after returning to the capital, the game just became too much of a chore.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for spoiler-tagging FFXV stuff. I just restarted because my save from around release is gone and I am on chapter 3 now, I was maybe on chapter 7 or 8 last time (?) when square put out that weird apology letter and said they'd put some more work into chapter 10 or 11 or whatever (I just googled and don't see any mention of this anywhere), and I decided I'd take a break and never came back. I just came here to post that this game is nice to play during the pandemic because it feels like you're not just running around murdering everyone like in Horizon. There's a lot of 'chill bro moments' as you drive from place to place and there's just a generally relaxed atmosphere that I'm enjoying. My wife commented last night "the music is very intense for just a fishing game" while I was fishing in some lake or other. Anyway, I'm enjoying it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vichan posted:

I eventually gave up on the game shortly after returning to the capital, the game just became too much of a chore.

You're inches from the finish line, finish your game!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that FFXV's ending loving ruled, even though the latter half was very, uh, rushed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
much love for the final fantasy 6 mural in the foyer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Still playing FFXIII, why did people hate Hope so much? He seems like just a normal child.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

His storylines go absolutely nowhere for 20 hours and stop the narrative dead in its tracks whenever he appears on camera.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

exquisite tea posted:

His storylines go absolutely nowhere for 20 hours and stop the narrative dead in its tracks whenever he appears on camera.

I'm in the part where he's running around with Lighting in the nature reserve, and it doesn't seem that bad. Lighting's demanding but not patronizing treatment of Hope has helped him toughen up and mature a lot. He still talks about getting revenge on Snow but it seems like his heart isn't really in it anymore and he's just using Snow as a place to put his anger.

And Hope's childishness and need for guidance has loosened up Lightning a lot. She's dropped some of her emotional barrier and is thinking about her relationship with her sister.

There's been clear character growth for both of them

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I got FFXV on the summer gift train, but decided to put it aside until the new GPUs launch.

I've never seen a game use all 8GB of my 1080's VRAM and 12GB of regular RAM before.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm in the part where he's running around with Lighting in the nature reserve, and it doesn't seem that bad. Lighting's demanding but not patronizing treatment of Hope has helped him toughen up and mature a lot. He still talks about getting revenge on Snow but it seems like his heart isn't really in it anymore and he's just using Snow as a place to put his anger.

And Hope's childishness and need for guidance has loosened up Lightning a lot. She's dropped some of her emotional barrier and is thinking about her relationship with her sister.

There's been clear character growth for both of them

a lot of people on this forum also hate children

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I mentally associate Hope with Academia 400 As gently caress so he's just ruined as a character forever.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I got FFXV on the summer gift train, but decided to put it aside until the new GPUs launch.

I've never seen a game use all 8GB of my 1080's VRAM and 12GB of regular RAM before.

Use the SpecialK mod, it optimizes FF15 a ton.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

I mentally associate Hope with Academia 400 As gently caress so he's just ruined as a character forever.

lmao. I still don't know what they were thinking with this area. Every single step is an encounter

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

I think that FFXV's ending loving ruled, even though the latter half was very, uh, rushed.

XV wasn’t exactly a masterpiece, but it’s also a minor miracle it was as good as it was.

It was like the game dev equivalent of one of those cooking gameshows where you need to make something coherent out of 6 half-assed ingredients under a time crunch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sefal posted:

lmao. I still don't know what they were thinking with this area. Every single step is an encounter

And you get no experience! It rules!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost
People hate Hope because he doesn't embody the typical video game male power fantasy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hope sucks so much that Serah literally screamed through time to tell him how dumb he is.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

HD DAD posted:

XV wasn’t exactly a masterpiece, but it’s also a minor miracle it was as good as it was.

It was like the game dev equivalent of one of those cooking gameshows where you need to make something coherent out of 6 half-assed ingredients under a time crunch.

is there a good documentary or something about the development? I always hear about it being crazy but I don't know that much about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elephant Ambush posted:

People hate Hope because he doesn't embody the typical video game male power fantasy.

This is a poor analysis when Snow is in the same game and somehow even worse.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

exquisite tea posted:

Snow is good. We've been over this in this thread a lot.

Snow is just the same as Bartz or Zidane, a truly heroic himbo stuck in a story that doesnt allow for anyone to do anything to divert the villains plans.

You meet the man as he and his militia are derailing a train that was taking a bunch of innocents off to a death camp. Hes cool.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sefal posted:

Just thank Etro that most of the fragments come from 1 NPC in a non-spawning area so you don't need to make too many trips through spawnomania.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

hope is a 14 year old boy with magic powers that hangs around with multiple attractive women that inexplicably put up with his bullshit and who has no parents, he is the distilled primordial essence of the male fantasy

people hate him because whenever the story gives him prominence it's so that he can whine about something or do something stupid

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Moms are tough!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Snow is good. We've been over this in this thread a lot.

Snow is just the same as Bartz or Zidane, a truly heroic himbo stuck in a story that doesnt allow for anyone to do anything to divert the villains plans.

You meet the man as he and his militia are derailing a train that was taking a bunch of innocents off to a death camp. Hes cool.

He's also like 8 foot 20 which is, I guess, the male equivalent to the female characters being 5'7 and 80 pounds or whatever.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

And Tyler Too! posted:

You're inches from the finish line, finish your game!

You're right, I should at least see it all through before passing judgement.

How is the DLC compared to the base game?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
You know how some people will just completely be dismissive of some Japanese games or media in a kinda racist way because it’s “anime trash”?

As much as I love the Final Fantasy series, FF13 is, for better and worse (mostly worse), anime trash.

The writing is borderline incomprehensible.

It reminds me, in ways of the FF9 strategy guide. That one that doesn’t actually give you any information and then expects you to go online to get the actual information.

That’s FF13. They just say some random bullshit that makes no sense then expect you to read a bunch of codex entries to understand anything.

FF13 is anime trash and the FF9 strategy guide of video games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hope has a dad, who he hates, until he doesn’t anymore because he realizes his mom is dead because she wasn’t tough enough and no amount of killing Snow will bring her back.

After Hope learns to love his dad again, Snow goes outside without a shirt and dares the military to shoot his bare sexy chest, which of course the military can’t bring themselves to do.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vichan posted:

You're right, I should at least see it all through before passing judgement.

How is the DLC compared to the base game?

I haven't tried the DLC yet, my Regalia can fly so I'm enjoying that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Snow is literally a shounen anime character. He also uses no weapons. He literally just punches everything, including gigantic war machines. The biggest difference with him is that he actually has a girlfriend as opposed to the anime trope of every guy treating attractive women like they're radioactive. He also genuinely loves Serah and is a good boyfriend which is by far his best quality. He also has a rad theme song.

Mordiceius posted:

You know how some people will just completely be dismissive of some Japanese games or media in a kinda racist way because it’s “anime trash”?

As much as I love the Final Fantasy series, FF13 is, for better and worse (mostly worse), anime trash.

It reminds me, in ways of the FF9 strategy guide. That one that doesn’t actually give you any information and then expects you to go online to get the actual information.

That’s FF13. They just say some random bullshit that makes no sense then expect you to read a bunch of codex entries to understand anything.

We all agree that the story is trash and told poorly but everything else you said is wrong. It has great characters, fun combat, an awesome soundtrack, and graphics that still hold up as amazing after all these years. Lack of towns is subjective but I personally liked not having to durdle around every town and talk to everyone multiple times to get hints as to where to go next or what to do. Sell poo poo, buy poo poo, maybe upgrade something, move on with the story.

Also

Mordiceius posted:

Moms are tough!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

If the incredibly simple plot of Monsters want t make heroes get big and strong to start off the apocalypse cause they're tired of the monotony of existance is incomprehensible to you your brain must have been fried completely playing any other ff game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The reason the game seemed incomprehensible to me was because I was expecting some big plot twist that never actually came. Bart tells the party "your job is to kill Orphan and everything else including me" and the party asks "why would he have us do that that's weird" so there's a really clear place for more plot. But then you get to the end of the game and they do exactly what he wants. They kill Orphan (who Bart like, fused with I guess?), Coccoon falls but Vanille and Fang save it, your guys get decrystallized, game over.

The game is not actually complicated, it's just very stupid.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

The reason the game seemed incomprehensible to me was because I was expecting some big plot twist that never actually came. Bart tells the party "your job is to kill Orphan and everything else including me" and the party asks "why would he have us do that that's weird" so there's a really clear place for more plot. But then you get to the end of the game and they do exactly what he wants. They kill Orphan (who Bart like, fused with I guess?), Coccoon falls but Vanille and Fang save it, your guys get decrystallized, game over.

The game is not actually complicated, it's just very stupid.

I felt the same way on the first playthrough. I tried really hard to keep up with the story hoping that the end would have some kind of payoff and I basically just gave up after you go back up to Cocoon. The second playthrough was so much better because I just ignored the story and enjoyed everything else.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The winning move was not to play. A strange game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

a lot of people on this forum also hate children

This is my proof for why Persona 4 is one of the greatest video game of all time. In spite of all of us being jaded, cynical bastards, Nanako managed to work. They wrote Nanako well enough that this intensely cute and "don't you just love her" character became beloved instead of making us all shake our old man fists in fury. "Make me feel something for this child, will you? Well I refuse!" And it's not like P4 can really succeed in spite of Nanako. I can't say this opinion doesn't exist somewhere but "i loved P4 but hated Nanako" is an opinion I've never encountered and I don't understand how it might even be possible given her centrality to the game. Saying you liked the game but hated Nanako is like saying I liked the game but hated Social Links and the 1 More system and randomized dungeons and silent protagonists. Just incompatible views to my mind.

One misstep in her writing and people woulda turned on her and the game as a whole in a heartbeat and denounced it as the worst anime trash of all time.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 1, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

We all agree that the story is trash and told poorly but everything else you said is wrong. It has great characters, fun combat, an awesome soundtrack, and graphics that still hold up as amazing after all these years.

and most importantly, That Gay poo poo

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

the only reason I finished the game tbh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fang is too good for vanille and in this series of tweets I will (part 1/98433)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Final Fantasy really isn't gay enough. It's basically this and the Honeybee Inn, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of poo poo. I'd guess FF14 would have solid gay representation at this point too.

Also Fang really should've gotten a lot more screen time, she really doesn't get to do a lot of cool poo poo.