Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

”MOTYC” is just a ”candidate” for the best match of the year, if you think it was amongst your favorite matches of this year then you can say it’s a MOTYC even if you liked something more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've voted dozens of matches as MOTYCs this year, it's about the vibe of the match not a specific declaration

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

I've voted dozens of matches as MOTYCs this year, it's about the vibe of the match not a specific declaration

i can feel that. i just have a dumb linear brain.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think both philosophies for nominating matches are valid. I nominate anything over a certain threshold of quality MOTY but I have a weird respect for people who are incredibly particular and only rarely give them out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NienNunb posted:

I think both philosophies for nominating matches are valid. I nominate anything over a certain threshold of quality MOTY but I have a weird respect for people who are incredibly particular and only rarely give them out.

i was an egm reader, gotta have strong standards

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I find it weird to hand out 2 MOTYCs on one show but apart from that I let them fly

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jesus WEP posted:

I find it weird to hand out 2 MOTYCs on one show but apart from that I let them fly

What if the best 2 matches of the year or on the same show tho?

My own thought is very much just "how cool was this?" It's kind of closer to star ratings than anything, I don't really think in star ratings but you could say an HM is somewhere around 3 1/2 to 4 1/4 & MOTYC is above that. Roughly, you get the idea anyway. HM is "I think you should watch this if you like good wrestling" & MOTYC is "you really need to get your eyeballs on this, it loving slaps"

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW Summer Struggle, 31/07

Like a horror movie

nth

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Since it's a nomination list my opinion is that "HM" means if you like wrestling you should check this match out, it has value. Motyc means "I think this could possibly be a match of the year and you have to watch it if you like wrestling"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

For me, MOTYC means you have to make time to watch this and HM means, it’s worth watching if you have the time.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Since it's a nomination list my opinion is that "HM" means if you like wrestling you should check this match out, it has value. Motyc means "I think this could possibly be a match of the year and you have to watch it if you like wrestling"

This has been what I've generally went with too. HM = good to very good, MOTY = great/must-see

I definitely get the people who think it should be something that's treated as rare, but at the same time I'd be lying if I said there weren't shows in recent memory I could think of that had numerous great matches that I believed deserve recognition/stand out as things people should make time for

Obviously there's a decent amount of Wrestle Kingdoms and G1 shows from the last decade that come to mind for the latter, but I also immediately think of stuff like:
DDT's Peter Pan from last year with Endo/Takeshita and the Akito/ASUKA 1-Lighttube deathmatch;
DDT's Coming To America show from last Mania Weekend which felt like a perfect intro to the company in general, and I know it helped get some people here interested in/introduced to talent like Maki Itoh and Daisuke Sasaki;
even a show like AAA Heroes Inmortales which had value by containing (in my opinion peak fun-lucha) lucha matches like the Copa Pena, and also a serious/legit great match like Fenix/Kenny, all in the same night

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

When I was running these threads and added the HM to it, I was looking it as:

MOTY - 4 star and above
HM - Just. *just* missed the cut. Like ***3/4. This match was real loving good but it was just missing something.
WMOTY - this is self explanatory

HMOTY - no!!! this doesn't exist!!! gently caress you!!!! argh!!!
TVMOTY - i swear to god

Just like. A collection of the best matches on the year as a good resource for everyone. Also as an encouragement to get people to watch other stuff.

Nowadays this forum is WAYYY less WWE-centric, and so much stuff is nominated now that I personally think I'd try and restructure it a bit. I don't really know how. Maybe higher standard for MOTYC list? I dunno. Just my thoughts. It's a little staggering seeing how big this thread is now.

In the end though it's just a fun list to keep track of stuff. Not that big a deal. Nominate what you enjoy. This is much easier for me to say now that I'm not running the list and counting votes.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 31, 2020

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I go the rare route for MOTYC because I think if nearly everything great gets a MOTYC then the MOTYC just feels like a super HM. We've got more MOTYCs than I can bother to count rn and if I wanted to catch up on just the best matches I'd have no idea what to actually go with as a result. Smaller promotions that manage to eek out a legitimate ****1/2+ match just get lost in the shuffle of every par AEW and NJPW match getting MOTYCs. I'm not a huge fan of multiple MOTYCs on the same show, but I understand since I've seen enough Wrestle Kingdoms and G1 tournaments and there are legitimately tough calls sometime.

At the same time though it's the Something Awful recommend matches thread so really who cares if we don't have the toughest criteria.

e: Looking back over this year I've given 7 MOTYC votes and in hindsight only four of them (Dragon Lee vs Hiromu Takahashi, Bebop vs the Bucks, Nyla Rose vs Riho, and the Fighter Fest eight man) are ones I still see as a MOTYC. And honestly I loved Bebop vs the Bucks so much I'm willing to just call it MOTY for me unless G1 comes up with something very mindblowing this year.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 31, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If I was going to make tough criteria I would say that when you nominate a motyc you need to also explain why that match is important. Not just good but important in a way that it must be seen. Just to get people to think a little harder on their nomination.

But also we're not sending anyone a plaque so who cares.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Honorable Match of the Year

TV Match of the Year

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
5th July
Pro Wrestling NOAH New Hope Day 3
Daisuke Harada vs Seiki Yoshioka

Decent little match, maybe a tad long but good stuff

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NienNunb posted:

Honorable Match of the Year

TV Match of the Year

hulkamatt is going to put you through a table for this

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I like nominating stuff from TJPW and Gatoh Move because they aren't ever going to be super heavy workrate matches but those companies are about having fun matches and fun characters and they're very good at delivering on that.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

hulkamatt is going to put you through a table for this

He's put me through a table for worse

#cum

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HulkaMatt posted:

Nowadays this forum is WAYYY less WWE-centric, and so much stuff is nominated now that I personally think I'd try and restructure it a bit. I don't really know how. Maybe higher standard for MOTYC list? I dunno. Just my thoughts. It's a little staggering seeing how big this thread is now.

A couple of years ago I actually upped the amount of votes needed to meet the threshold for MOTYC and HM, so believe it or not under the old rules the lists on the first page would be even longer than they currently are! We've also hit a kind of golden period of incredibly good matches the last few years as well, helped in large part by the increased accessibility of wrestling from such a wide variety of promotions. The days of WWE dominating everything are happily long gone.

HulkaMatt posted:

In the end though it's just a fun list to keep track of stuff. Not that big a deal. Nominate what you enjoy.

:hai:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Shlak vs Casanova Valentine, Fans Bring the Weapons, IWA MS King of the Death Matches 2020, 7/31

Two dudes hitting each other with light tubes and throwing each other around despite being too gassed to do so in an abandoned Rent a Center.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1289367947014676480

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Aero Boy vs Tristen Ramsey, DEATH FROM ABOVE BUNDLES OF 8 FOOT LIGHT TUBES HOLD UP MYSTERY BOXES WHEN THE TUBES ARE BROKEN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX WILL OPEN, DROPPING ITS CONTENTS ONTO THE WRESTLER BELOW IT MATCH, IWA MS King of the Death Match, 7/31

You might be thinking how could a match with a gimmick that good be bad? Two of the boxes had salt in them, one had light bulbs and the bulbs didn't break. Weak.

MOTYC: John Wayne Murdoch vs Shane Mercer, Double Hell No Ropes Barbed Wire Caribbean Spider Web Death Match, IWA MS KOTDM 7/31

Two of the best Canadian Destroyers of the year and just a great death match overall. Good show!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 1, 2020

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I do four and a half stars and up for MOTYC, three and a half and up for HM. The “make time to see this” vs “see if you have time” difference someone posted is basically what I’m going for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

DEATH FROM ABOVE BUNDLES OF 8 FOOT LIGHT TUBES HOLD UP MYSTERY BOXES WHEN THE TUBES ARE BROKEN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX WILL OPEN, DROPPING ITS CONTENTS ONTO THE WRESTLER BELOW IT MATCH

When the stuff drops, is that how the match is won? Or is it how the match is... begun!?!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Arisa Nakajima (c) vs. Yoshiko for the SEAdLINNNG Beyond the Sea Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG Close to You (7/13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4QIIwq4Xr0

A battle between two of the most influential websites on the Internet as SomethingAwful's own FIGHT ISLAND champion of the month takes on the new queen of TikTok. One of the best matches I've seen all year as you might expect from these two, the near falls are some of the tensest I've ever seen.

Bwoof. That is some stiff wrestling. Absolutely nth this, it rules.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

MassRafTer posted:

WMOTYC: Aero Boy vs Tristen Ramsey, DEATH FROM ABOVE BUNDLES OF 8 FOOT LIGHT TUBES HOLD UP MYSTERY BOXES WHEN THE TUBES ARE BROKEN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX WILL OPEN, DROPPING ITS CONTENTS ONTO THE WRESTLER BELOW IT MATCH, IWA MS King of the Death Match, 7/31

You might be thinking how could a match with a gimmick that good be bad? Two of the boxes had salt in them, one had light bulbs and the bulbs didn't break. Weak.

Big second.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh my god i feel so embarassed until i clicked the video i was assuming that it was the blowup doll getting these rave reviews

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Adding an unnecessary MOTYC nod to Nagata/Suzuki. Want to compliment them for making forearms (far behind kicks and chops as far as strikes go) sound like gunshots. Also the funniest commentary call when Suzuki pulled out the chair "this isn't a hardcore match!!!" like have you idiots ever watched this promotion?

JOHN CENA posted:

oh my god i feel so embarassed until i clicked the video i was assuming that it was the blowup doll getting these rave reviews

I've seen people giving their takes on the Act Yasukawa/Yoshihiko incident before, which is pretty darkly funny to imagine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

To be fair, the blow up doll vs Takeshita from Peter Pan Night 1 this year is a match you could give a MOTYC to. I think I only went HM but it's about as good as "cinematic wrestling" is going to get.

Wait, I checked, I went MOTYC on it, never mind. Seriously, give it a watch if you have the spare time: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1pT4y1g7zU?from=search&seid=12231154100095056387 (Skip to 165:38 for start to the build up to get why the match happened)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 1, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

When the stuff drops, is that how the match is won? Or is it how the match is... begun!?!

It's like Stairs in a Stairs match you don't have to use the Stairs but they help you win The Stairs Match.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Erick Rowan, master of the Stairs Match

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

MOTYC: Frankie Coverdale vs Nature Boy Paul Lee - Talkn Shop a Mania

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

MOTYC: Frankie Coverdale vs Nature Boy Paul Lee - Talkn Shop a Mania

The match isn't even over yet, the headlock spot is still going!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Chad 2 Badd vs. Sex Ferguson in a Boneryard Match - Talk N' Shop A-Mania 8/1

Terrible, awful, stupid and ridiculous... I loved every second of it. The cameos, the flashback, the running commentary by the wrestlers, the meta jokes. the end twist. Just a beautiful goddamn mess by two idiots having fun.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Chad 2 Badd vs. Sex Ferguson in a Boneryard Match - Talk N' Shop A-Mania 8/1

Terrible, awful, stupid and ridiculous... I loved every second of it. The cameos, the flashback, the running commentary by the wrestlers, the meta jokes. the end twist. Just a beautiful goddamn mess by two idiots having fun.

2nd

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The match isn't even over yet, the headlock spot is still going!

ok i thought it was over when they were like this is stupid lets just cut away from it. and it wouldve been better that way. but i stand by my vote

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If your definition of MOTYC is "Must See" then Shlak vs Eric Ryan from KOTDM 2020 Night 2 is a MOTYC because you must see it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

motyc: sex ferguson vs chadd 2 badd talkn shop a mania

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wmotyc: sex ferguson vs chadd 2 badd talkn shop a mania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Memorial Gate, 8/2

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - BxB Hulk & KAZMA SAKAMOTO vs. Jason Lee & Kota Minoura

The Kota Minoura push is real! Minoura has been putting in the loving work since DG came back from quarantine break, and has been racking up impressive performances on pretty much every show, and here is no different. He plays a wonderful babyface in peril, taking pretty much all of the heat in the match before paying it off in a satisfying manor in the finishing stretch,