Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Surface 3 supports USB-C charging, see my post in the last page or two about docks, there's additional USB-C docks on the current page of the Chromebook thread

I think those two posts cover 70% of the subject

A thunderbolt docks is also really convenient for plug and play for all the various work accessories.

I like Caldigit's line of charging docks but many companies such as Dell / HP offer similar options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I am personally using a TB3 lenovo dock, but for those unfortunate enough to not have a TB3 port at least options exist

USB4 is supposed to start showing up in laptops this Winter/next Spring, that will be a game changer for consumer laptops, providing 40gbps USB docks to the common man

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
What are the best websites these days for good deals on laptops? Looking for a gaming laptop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I am personally using a TB3 lenovo dock, but for those unfortunate enough to not have a TB3 port at least options exist

USB4 is supposed to start showing up in laptops this Winter/next Spring, that will be a game changer for consumer laptops, providing 40gbps USB docks to the common man

I'm hoping AMD laptop CPU gets USB4 support as well in the near future.

Note for my own experiences using AMD laptop G14 with a HP Thunderbolt dock it seems to work without any issues for the "plug + play" but most likely because I'm using a single 1080p display.

I'm sure it would have issues such as trying to get two monitors working at 4K due to the bandwidth limitations with USB 3.2 vs Thunderbolt.

Also :vince:

etalian fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 30, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hadlock posted:

Will it or will 90% of them be usb4 gen2x2 with the same 10Gbps we already have?

Edit: sorry that should be gen 2x1

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 30, 2020

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Hello laptop thread! I'm looking to replace my faithful old Lenovo T420 which lasted me all through college and then some. I know I want to stick to Lenovo, but all the available models make my head spin and I'm hoping for some advice.

I don't have very many intense things I do on computers. I do a little coding and watch the odd video, play a few games. I won't be doing any serious multiplayer gaming on it, but I would love to be able to play modern single player games occasionally.

I care a lot about it having the following:
A good number of USB ports
An HDMI out
A price under $800

That's it!

My T420 was refurbished, but I'm hoping to buy new this time. What would you recommend? What should I look out for? Are there any pitfalls you can see me falling into that I should watch out for?

Thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bomrek posted:

Hello laptop thread! I'm looking to replace my faithful old Lenovo T420 which lasted me all through college and then some. I know I want to stick to Lenovo, but all the available models make my head spin and I'm hoping for some advice.

I don't have very many intense things I do on computers. I do a little coding and watch the odd video, play a few games. I won't be doing any serious multiplayer gaming on it, but I would love to be able to play modern single player games occasionally.

An HDMI out
A price under $800

That's it!

My T420 was refurbished, but I'm hoping to buy new this time. What would you recommend? What should I look out for? Are there any pitfalls you can see me falling into that I should watch out for?

Thanks!

I’m gonna try to get some names for specific models, but you’re gonna want a GTX 1660ti graphics card if you want to play games on it. You could probably get away with a 1650 for now, but I don’t think it’ll last you long since the 4GB of VRAM is probably gonna be inadequate pretty soon. Do you have any wiggle room on the budget at all? Another 50 bucks should get you the new dell g3. Depending on your job your employer may even have a discount with them.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bomrek posted:

An HDMI out
A price under $800

That's it!

Thanks!

Your use case sounds almost perfect for the Vostro 15 7500 that was recently (and again) available on sale, and with a 15% coupon; it has a 1650 Ti and so far when I've tested it in games, it holds up pretty well on medium/high settings at 1080p.

Edit: And actually, to follow up, I think I'm leaning heavily towards keeping the Vostro and returning the G14. I do love the typing experience/trackpad of the G14, but it feels like a first generation work in progress, which isn't a bad thing, but seeing more recent updates of people having clear coating peeling off, the fans always being on, etc, some minor coil whine on the fans, all makes me lean to the Vostro. It's frustrating because the screen is nice, I like that it has 120 hz and activesync, the 2060 is obviously more powerful than the 1650 Ti in the Vostro, all make me want to keep it.

I feel like the fan issue could be solved simply by updating the Windows power/thermal management to turn them off until 65/70 deg. C then slowly ramp them up, but it seems like they want to keep the CPU and GPU down to 30/40 degrees at all times, even when it can clearly handle day-to-day light tasks without fans on and thermals stay fine.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 30, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm hoping Asus creates a gen 2 concept of the G14 since it's a really unique product in terms of power and portability combination.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

SourKraut posted:

Your use case sounds almost perfect for the Vostro 15 7500 that was recently (and again) available on sale, and with a 15% coupon; it has a 1650 Ti and so far when I've tested it in games, it holds up pretty well on medium/high settings at 1080p.

Edit: And actually, to follow up, I think I'm leaning heavily towards keeping the Vostro and returning the G14. I do love the typing experience/trackpad of the G14, but it feels like a first generation work in progress, which isn't a bad thing, but seeing more recent updates of people having clear coating peeling off, the fans always being on, etc, some minor coil whine on the fans, all makes me lean to the Vostro. It's frustrating because the screen is nice, I like that it has 120 hz and activesync, the 2060 is obviously more powerful than the 1650 Ti in the Vostro, all make me want to keep it.

I feel like the fan issue could be solved simply by updating the Windows power/thermal management to turn them off until 65/70 deg. C then slowly ramp them up, but it seems like they want to keep the CPU and GPU down to 30/40 degrees at all times, even when it can clearly handle day-to-day light tasks without fans on and thermals stay fine.

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you! I don't know if it's your unit or my expectations; I am usually very serious about fan noise (my desktop has a be quiet 900 tower and a Noctua NH-D15 cooler), but the fan noise for my G14 never bothered me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

space marine todd posted:

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you! I don't know if it's your unit or my expectations; I am usually very serious about fan noise (my desktop has a be quiet 900 tower and a Noctua NH-D15 cooler), but the fan noise for my G14 never bothered me.

I think it's hit or miss due to first wave of G14 production builds.

Hopefully the consistency improves over time.

I'm very satisfied with the laptop so far and it's also tough to find a comparable value for a new laptop with this fast of a CPU,16GB,1GB SSD, 2060 GPU all for $1450. It's does require some setting tweaking and other playtime out of the box to optimize performance.

So far I have experienced any of the issues reported with some of the earlier builds from March such as the LCD screening randomly turning off.

I read that they made intel version of the same concept (Asus M14) but looks like it got panned in reviews since it had much worse performance than the AMD model.

etalian fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 30, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

Will it or will 90% of them be usb4 gen2x2 with the same 10Gbps we already have?

Edit: sorry that should be gen 2x1

I think 40gbps "turbo mode" is optional but Intel will probably (??) include it on all their chips. But their company took a big steamy dump this week so who knows. We'll know more on/around Sept 15 when they unveil the new consumer chips

I think 20gbps is still guaranteed. Peripherals can still opt for lovely speeds with crappy third party Chinese/Vietnamese chipset of course

No idea about AMD, I feel like I read something about their chips not being ready until summer 2021 but don't quote me on that

USB4 devices are going to be slow to arrive anyways, not like it matters a whole lot between now and 2022.

I have a pet theory that the new upcoming Oculus Quest S/2 is going to be the launch USB4 device, with backwards USB-C/3.x compatibility. We'll see. Intel really needs a win right now.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

etalian posted:

I'm hoping Asus creates a gen 2 concept of the G14 since it's a really unique product in terms of power and portability combination.

It's a dead ringer in size and weight for the 13" rMBP.

I wonder how much of the weirdness around the Zephyrus G14 currently is due to how new Ryzen 4000 Mobile is as a platform, or Asus's general deficiencies in validation and quality control compared to Dell or Lenovo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's probably from cramming a gaming laptop into a thin and light chassis.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

OMEN 17 Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, Intel Core i7-10750H, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 17.3" 144Hz Full HD, Windows 10 Home, RGB Keyboard (17-cb1080nr, 2020 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087Z21FXV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A06iFbE0AMKN2

Why shouldn’t I buy this?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I think 40gbps "turbo mode" is optional but Intel will probably (??) include it on all their chips. But their company took a big steamy dump this week so who knows. We'll know more on/around Sept 15 when they unveil the new consumer chips

I think 20gbps is still guaranteed. Peripherals can still opt for lovely speeds with crappy third party Chinese/Vietnamese chipset of course

No idea about AMD, I feel like I read something about their chips not being ready until summer 2021 but don't quote me on that

USB4 devices are going to be slow to arrive anyways, not like it matters a whole lot between now and 2022.

I have a pet theory that the new upcoming Oculus Quest S/2 is going to be the launch USB4 device, with backwards USB-C/3.x compatibility. We'll see. Intel really needs a win right now.

Ok so clarification

Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4 (TB3/TB4), USB4

USB 3.x: max 20gbps, in the real world the most you'll ever see is 10gbps probably, most likely 5gbps, in USB-C format max 100w power delivery, only 1x 60fps 4k display

USB4: min 20gbps, max 40gbps, 100w power, 2x 60fps 4k display
Thunderbolt 3: min 20gbps, max 40gbps 100w power, 2x 60fps 4k display
Thunderbolt 4: min/max 40gbps*, 100w power, 2x 60fps 4k display

The biggest difference between USB4 and Thunderbolt 4 seems to be that your laptop will turn on if you plug in a TB4 dock, and all the cables/chipsets/devices must be certified, plus you're garaunteed 40gbps. Previously TB3 didn't guarantee 100w or 40gbps. The other big difference is that TB4 supports USB4 protocol across it's bus, TB3 does not

USB4 I think without the certification will have slightly less compatibility, and doesn't garauntee 40gbps or 100w

TL;DR USB4 is basically a slightly better version of TB3, and TB4 is TB3 with slightly higher quality control + dock luxury features

*supposedly only 40gbps, there's no discussion about what happens when you use cables longer than 6 feet. Probably 20gbps up to 20 feet but I don't see a mention of it anywhere, and I can't see them not selling cables longer than 6'

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 31, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's probably from cramming a gaming laptop into a thin and light chassis.

Yeah that's biggest G14 flaw since it can get really toasty and loud during peak power use situations.

Not surprising since the weight is 3.5 lbs which puts it between ultra books and 15" laptops in terms of portability.

The CPU is legit since for anything multi-core it either exceeds performance of the latest Intel 6-core laptops and some situations gets close in performance to Intel 90W CPUs which are used in some of the larger heavier gaming laptops.

Also there's nothing like in terms of value getting all the specs for around $1500, a similar Blade Advanced "rip-off" laptop would go for $2000+.

Other laptops in the same footprint (Blade Stealth and MSI Prestige 14") get worse performance due to having a 4 Core CPU and also 1660 graphics.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

etalian posted:

I'm very satisfied with the laptop so far and it's also tough to find a comparable value for a new laptop with this fast of a CPU,16GB,1GB SSD, 2060 GPU all for $1450. It's does require some setting tweaking and other playtime out of the box to optimize performance.

The US price is very low, in the UK that model goes for $2600 (with the Ryzen 9) and $2350 (with the Ryzen 7).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

etalian posted:

Yeah that's biggest G14 flaw since it can get really toasty and loud during peak power use situations.

Not surprising since the weight is 3.5 lbs which puts it between ultra books and 15" laptops in terms of portability.

The CPU is legit since for anything multi-core it either exceeds performance of the latest Intel 6-core laptops and some situations gets close in performance to Intel 90W CPUs which are used in some of the larger heavier gaming laptops.

Also there's nothing like in terms of value getting all the specs for around $1500, a similar Blade Advanced "rip-off" laptop would go for $2000+.

Other laptops in the same footprint (Blade Stealth and MSI Prestige 14") get worse performance due to having a 4 Core CPU and also 1660 graphics.

I think too that it just needs some more decent focus on the software support side, i.e. fine-tuning of drivers, power management profiles, etc. Areas that should be somewhat easily manageable now with the first generation, as long as Asus actually puts effort towards continuing to support it. That's why I haven't yet taken it back, because it feels like so many of the issues I have with it at least can be rectified via software, but I'm also nervous because it seems as if Asus (and others) track record of long-term support is not great, in this case long-term being more than 12 months...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red Bones posted:

The US price is very low, in the UK that model goes for $2600 (with the Ryzen 9) and $2350 (with the Ryzen 7).

I've found it pretty crazy how much cheaper things like electronics and video games are here in the US (Mainly no VAT i assume?)

I know looking at reviews that have Australian prices it's even crazy for the real world price difference.

I know from making small talk here in Florida with tourists it's really popular on their vacation to visit the local electronics/outlet stores since the prices are much better.

SourKraut posted:

I think too that it just needs some more decent focus on the software support side, i.e. fine-tuning of drivers, power management profiles, etc. Areas that should be somewhat easily manageable now with the first generation, as long as Asus actually puts effort towards continuing to support it.

Yeah I think better options for the G14 power profiles could make a big difference for the thermal issues during gaming.

Especially because most modern games are GPU not CPU limited.

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 31, 2020

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
My wife needs a new work laptop and I honestly have no idea what the specs for something that absolutely does NOT need to play games should be. She's mostly going to be doing MS Office suite stuff on it and also needs to be able to dictate to it. How low of specs can I aim for here, to keep costs low? Reliability/longevity would be the most important things over performance, although good battery life and boot speed would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FordCQC posted:

My wife needs a new work laptop and I honestly have no idea what the specs for something that absolutely does NOT need to play games should be. She's mostly going to be doing MS Office suite stuff on it and also needs to be able to dictate to it. How low of specs can I aim for here, to keep costs low? Reliability/longevity would be the most important things over performance, although good battery life and boot speed would be nice.

Any suggestions?

What's her budget? She could probably get away with something like a refurbished T430 for $150, but the battery will be shot and the screen is not amazing. You can get a refurbished T460 for around $300

New laptops start at $400 typically, anything off the shelf ought to work. A brand new T490 will run you about $750 and last you for several years

Whatever you buy, try and upgrade the hard drive to an SSD, usually a minimal extra cost

Look for an i5 cpu and 8gb ram and at least a 256gb ssd

Re: boot speed, just close the lid. You should never need to fully turn off a laptop in 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FordCQC posted:

Any suggestions?

From digital trends guide for 2020 budget focused laptops ($1000 or less)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-budget-laptops/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For a non gaming laptop, there's no point in spending extra on faster RAM, right? Does matching speeds if I'm adding a second stick matter? Does choosing between single and dual rank (sorry, I don't know much about RAM)?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rinkles posted:

For a non gaming laptop, there's no point in spending extra on faster RAM, right? Does matching speeds if I'm adding a second stick matter? Does choosing between single and dual rank (sorry, I don't know much about RAM)?

Some :spergin: is gonna race in here with spreadsheets to technically prove me wrong, but in the real world no, no it does not matter one bit for the average user

There is a pretty significant improvement in quality of life moving from 1, 2, or 4gb to 8gb. The bump from 8 to 16 is not very noticable to the average user

That said, some laptops are very picky about specific ram sticks. You should know if you model is problematic if you do some quick searching

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 31, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Was just surprised it had an empty slot, already came with 8 gigs.

I used crucial's site to parts check.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

l

That said, some laptops are very picky about specific ram sticks. You should know if you model is problematic if you do some quick searching

Trying to upgrade the ram in my 2018 model Dell G3 was a goddamn nightmare. I checked compatibility online on three different sets and never got any of them to work. It’s the only computer I’ve ever had that problem with.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Was just surprised it had an empty slot, already came with 8 gigs.

I used crucial's site to parts check.

Ready aim fire away, then

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Some :spergin: is gonna race in here with spreadsheets to technically prove me wrong, but in the real world no, no it does not matter one bit for the average user

There is a pretty significant improvement in quality of life moving from 1, 2, or 4gb to 8gb. The bump from 8 to 16 is not very noticable to the average user

Yeah I know some real world performance studies have found 8 GB to be the minimum recommended amount while 16 GB is the sweet spot if you use more intensive applications on your laptops such running video games.

Under 8 GB does lead to a big decrease in performance especially for things like game load times.

32 GB+ only makes sense for certain applications such as more intensive media applications.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/compu...tations%20only.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-much-ram-memory,6092.html

https://www.techspot.com/article/1770-how-much-ram-pc-gaming/

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 1, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

etalian posted:

32 GB+ only makes sense for certain applications such as more intensive media applications.

I have 32 GB in both my computers and according to GPU-Z my system memory use maxes out at a skosh under 16GB when I’m gaming.

That said, who knows what RAM usage in games will look like next year when the new consoles hit.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have 32 GB in both my computers and according to GPU-Z my system memory use maxes out at a skosh under 16GB when I’m gaming.

That said, who knows what RAM usage in games will look like next year when the new consoles hit.
PS4 and Xbox 4 (One) have 8GB of RAM.

The PS5 and Xbox 5 (Series X) will have 16GB of RAM.

So....

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The United States posted:

PS4 and Xbox 4 (One) have 8GB of RAM.

The PS5 and Xbox 5 (Series X) will have 16GB of RAM.

So....

They (or at least the PS5) have those insane NVMe drives that theoretically pull like 5GB/sec so I wouldn’t be shocked if the PC RAM requirements go up substantially. Even without that, I wouldn’t be shocked if system memory usage ends up in the 20-24GB range before too long.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Narrowing down my search for a gaming laptop. There are two on my list that I’m really having trouble with because of the monitors. One has a 4k 60Hz, the other has a 240hz 1080p.
They also have different GPUs, but I’d be fine with either. What are your thoughts on the monitors? I’ll be using this for my computer science masters I’m about to start, and hopefully for my tech job beyond that, as well as some gaming here in there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
You have the links flipped I think.

I don’t really think you can go wrong with either, but I don’t think you’ll be gaming at 4k on that laptop with the 4k display and 2060 max q. Maaaybe with something that supports the new DLSS2.0 that runs on fairy dust and unicorn farts and older stuff. Maybe. But for watching movies and productivity stuff you’ll be fine.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Yes, links are swapped. I think I’ve eliminated the 4k 60hz option from my list, as well as some others. I’m down to 2!!! Help me decide..

Option #1: MSi GS66 w/RTX 2060

Option #2: Asus ROG Zephyrus M15 w/RTX 2070 Max-Q

Which would you pick and why?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SamEyeAm posted:

Yes, links are swapped. I think I’ve eliminated the 4k 60hz option from my list, as well as some others. I’m down to 2!!! Help me decide..

Option #1: MSi GS66 w/RTX 2060

Option #2: Asus ROG Zephyrus M15 w/RTX 2070 Max-Q

Which would you pick and why?

Option 2, you may as well spend the extra 30 bucks and go up a model of GPU and double the size of the SSD. Unless there’s something really wrong with asus laptops it feels like a slam dunk.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
How are the built in speakers in the G14? I see that it has Atmos but so does my Thinkpad P1 at work and that sounds pretty below average.

I'm getting the itch to sell my Matebook X Pro and upgrade to one of these or a G15. The speakers in the MBXP are really good for its size.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Option 2, you may as well spend the extra 30 bucks and go up a model of GPU and double the size of the SSD. Unless there’s something really wrong with asus laptops it feels like a slam dunk.

I just bought the Asus, with a $100 student discount so it ended up being $1,480, cheaper than the MSi!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

How are the built in speakers in the G14? I see that it has Atmos but so does my Thinkpad P1 at work and that sounds pretty below average.

I'm getting the itch to sell my Matebook X Pro and upgrade to one of these or a G15. The speakers in the MBXP are really good for its size.

Pretty good since the G14 has 4 total speakers (2 top + 2 bottom firing) and compared to my previous old Dell XPS 15 (2 bottom firing speakers) they were a big improvement due to having a actual bass response on the low end.

Doesn't top Apple Macbook Pros for overall sound quality but still above average overall sound quality in my view, the extra speakers do help.

Similar to many other of the issues with G14 laptop it does require tweaking in Dolby Atmos program to improve things like the max loundness /Make sure to turn Spatial Sound option off.

The Flossy Carter review of the G14:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCxJkTtz0Hs

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is probably a silly question: could undervolting a laptop's cpu help with how hot it gets during normal use? Just to make it a bit more comfortable for actual lap use. (or are these things already running at minimum safe voltage?)