Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ospreay also has the exciting storyline of 'can he stop doing his dumb facial expressions so people start taking him seriously'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

You could have Wato & Taguchi, Uemura & Kidd, Despy & Kanemaru or Douki & Kanemaru, Bushi & Hiromu, Ishimori & Togo. There's not a lot of teams but right now it's enough. A big complaint I have right now is that there's very little of interest on most of these cards, it's just wrestling for the sake of it because we've got to fill up the undercards. The Junior Tag belts would be a useful enough thing to just throw some meaning out there. You could bring in a couple of teams of freelancers to fill the numbers & do an 8 team knockout tournament to crown a new champ to at least have something meaningful on some of these August Korakuens, and along the way you could have LIJ lose to BC to further the build to Hiromu vs Ishimori at the baseball stadium, rather than endless multiman tags.

At a time when the US title is out of play, the IC title is attached to the HW & the NEVER 6 Man belts are just in this weird limbo I really don't think they can afford to wait the many months until Yoh recovers.

These are good points, but this would require Gedo to give a single solitary poo poo about the Jr Tag belts.

Also there's some weird brainworming going on where people forget to differentiate between their personal opinion of someone and how good they objectively are. And given the matches he's capable of and how over he's gotten there is no question about Billy being an objectively great wrestler even though he's a poo poo person.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerebral Bore posted:

These are good points, but this would require Gedo to give a single solitary poo poo about the Jr Tag belts.

Also there's some weird brainworming going on where people forget to differentiate between their personal opinion of someone and how good they objectively are. And given the matches he's capable of and how over he's gotten there is no question about Billy being an objectively great wrestler even though he's a poo poo person.

It's hilarious to me Gedo's attitude to tag team wrestling makes no sense on a couple of levels: he's a Memphis guy & tag teams were a big part of that whole scene, The Fabs, Rock'n'Rolls, The Moondogs, Sheepherders, Pretty Young Things, The Midnights. He was a tag team wrestler his entire career. But nope, does not give a poo poo.

But even if he doesn't care, god it's more interesting than just more meaningless multimen.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

forkboy84 posted:

It's hilarious to me Gedo's attitude to tag team wrestling makes no sense on a couple of levels: he's a Memphis guy & tag teams were a big part of that whole scene, The Fabs, Rock'n'Rolls, The Moondogs, Sheepherders, Pretty Young Things, The Midnights. He was a tag team wrestler his entire career. But nope, does not give a poo poo.

But even if he doesn't care, god it's more interesting than just more meaningless multimen.

People keep saying this and honestly, maybe that's why he doesn't care about tag teams? That's what he was pigenholed into his whole career and he never became a breakout singles star, perhaps there's a little resentment going on there.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I kind of just assume he only gives a poo poo about what he thinks draws and doesn't think tag teams draws. I mean, the booking in general usually focuses on the big matches and everything else has a "the boys figure it out" energy to it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I kind of just assume he only gives a poo poo about what he thinks draws and doesn't think tag teams draws. I mean, the booking in general usually focuses on the big matches and everything else has a "the boys figure it out" energy to it.

Sure, but there's a history of tag teams drawing in Japan. All Japan selling out the Budokan multiple times with matches like Holy Demon Army vs Super Generation Army for the belts. Hell, in '92 Miracle Violence Connection vs Jumbo & Taue headlined above a Triple Crown match! And that's not even a one off, MVC vs Hansen & Tenryu headlined over Jumbo vs Barry Windham in 1990.

It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you treat the tag division like an after thought then obviously it won't draw but if you have big stars in regular tag teams like MVC & Holy Demon Army treating the belts like they matter then sooner or later they are going to draw.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Sure, but there's a history of tag teams drawing in Japan. All Japan selling out the Budokan multiple times with matches like Holy Demon Army vs Super Generation Army for the belts. Hell, in '92 Miracle Violence Connection vs Jumbo & Taue headlined above a Triple Crown match! And that's not even a one off, MVC vs Hansen & Tenryu headlined over Jumbo vs Barry Windham in 1990.

It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you treat the tag division like an after thought then obviously it won't draw but if you have big stars in regular tag teams like MVC & Holy Demon Army treating the belts like they matter then sooner or later they are going to draw.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that. I just think Gedo's thinking is as simple as "they don't draw so why bother" because tag teams don't draw is one of those things that gets thrown around a lot even if they obviously can.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I don’t know my NJPW history well enough to answer this myself, but have there been some big draw tag teams specifically in NJPW’s history? Or has NJPW always been a singles wrestler-forward kind if company?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I don’t know my NJPW history well enough to answer this myself, but have there been some big draw tag teams specifically in NJPW’s history? Or has NJPW always been a singles wrestler-forward kind if company?

I started looking and got distracted when I found out that in 1986 New Year Dash was an entire tour, 27 shows long. The 2nd last night was a sell out at Osaka-Jo Hall & then the final night of the tour was back to Tokyo for 12,000 at Sumo Hall. At least half the dates on the tour drew over 2,000 fans (I stopped counting). Man, '80s New Japan did insane business.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I guess in other words, was Gedo starting as a booker the start of NJPW’s tag woes or was it always the weak point?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I actually like the Yujiro stuff to a degree. I also think that it's being pretty well received in Japan based on crowd reaction. I also understand that he isn't having the best matches. Okada is clearly taking it easy to rest up (this is good) but even an extremely motivated SHO isn't getting much out of him.

I think it's just an easy face v heel match that can be thrown on house show undercards to get a reaction. It's fun for what it is. I know id really probably enjoy it if I was there live

Ospreay would obviously be having better matches. His match with Okada last year was one of my favourite. Also Ospreay is better in matches where the story is an easy one. For example the above match with Okada it's easy for him to work a narrative into it. Okada is his mentor and Ospreay desperately wants to be him.

But even Ospreays video game matches where he just does a bunch of movez are cool. Birds of prey is just Ospreay and Robbie doing cool moves but as if the undercards wouldn't be better if they were on them

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
So I'm gonna come out and say it but I liked Yujiro vs Okada for what it was. Because when Okada has to face a person like Yujiro it should just be him not giving a gently caress really and then easily winning at the end.

And for that Yujiro played his role well.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Ospreay vs ZSJ at New Beginning is one of the best matches of the year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ospreay v Hiromu at Wrestlekingdom which featured the debut of TIME BOMB 2

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

No idea about Manhattan but Korakuen is somewhat weirdly located in that you have to take an elevator to get there.

Not anymore you don't. The elevator has been disabled by the coronavirus.

It's pretty tedious cos I used to just skip the elevators and power walk up the stairs but now you have all the olds slowly ambling up them and you can't overtake them because of social distancing.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

If okada wants/needs easy matches he can wrestle each young lion

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Have you seen how hard the young lions go

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Name a current young lion who Yujiro is a better worker than

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Not anymore you don't. The elevator has been disabled by the coronavirus.

It's pretty tedious cos I used to just skip the elevators and power walk up the stairs but now you have all the olds slowly ambling up them and you can't overtake them because of social distancing.

how does shinjuku FACE work? i used the stairs in korakuen but as far as i could tell the elevator was the only way to the correct floor in shinjuku

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Draxion posted:

Have you seen how hard the young lions go

Kick Okada's rear end, Uemura

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here's something I learned exists today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewhrtWEujjM

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1289350129238122496?s=20

no la tv show tonight as they're in between tapings but they have a presser up at 10 about the next series

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MJeff posted:

Here's something I learned exists today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewhrtWEujjM

wasn't aware of that one but i saw them have a singles match in the ecw arena in 2015. p good

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

They are running a NJ cup

Some cool matches announced. No Jay White interestingly so I wonder if he has taken advantage of his citizenship to return to NZ

That said Juice wasn't announced (I don't think) and he appears to be back in the US

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

If you can excuse the double post

https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/status/1289382231429935104?s=19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gimme a Brody/Cobb or KENTA/Tonga final

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So they gonna strip Moxley or get him out to Cali?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MJeff posted:

So they gonna strip Moxley or get him out to Cali?

It's for a future shot specifically at Moxley, they said

So either they made a CA match to drop the belt happen, or it's in 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

surprised they're doing karl vs kenta rd 1

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Burn Down Canberra posted:

That said Juice wasn't announced (I don't think) and he appears to be back in the US

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1289385481541574662

Thauros posted:

surprised they're doing karl vs kenta rd 1

That was gonna be in the New Japan Cup, wasn't it?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1289385481541574662

That was gonna be in the New Japan Cup, wasn't it?

karl was a young lion then tho

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Chris James 2 posted:

Maybe the pandemic gets them to open The Forbidden Door, and AEW lets them use him in the US

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also depends on if Moxley still has the AEW belt and they're OK with their world champ doing jobs (I think he's beating MJF but who knows)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Thauros posted:

karl was a young lion then tho

Karl himself has said the plan originally was that he would be a main roster guy starting with the Cup, but things of course went to poo poo and the first episode of LBC ended up being it. He mentions it in the Kevin Kelly interview he did before the first episode went up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Mid South Tony should play hardball and in exchange for getting Mox on NJPW Strong, should get The Shooter on TNT.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jay White not being in that tourney is very curious

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Benne posted:

Also depends on if Moxley still has the AEW belt and they're OK with their world champ doing jobs (I think he's beating MJF but who knows)

Hasn't Jeff Cobb been in AEW? They could conceivably be OK with a Mox loss to a guy as a way to build their own championship defense program.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hasn't Jeff Cobb been in AEW? They could conceivably be OK with a Mox loss to a guy as a way to build their own championship defense program.

Cobb never signed and just did a one-off appearance, very different circumstances

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
From what I heard, Cobb wants to remain non-exclusive for now, but AEW does want More Cobb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MJeff posted:

From what I heard, Cobb wants to remain non-exclusive for now, but AEW does want More Cobb.

Yeah I think they had an offer on the table but he wanted to keep working NJPW and ROH. By all accounts the offer is still open if he wants it.