Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I had friends and family who lived in houses that all had old 1970s intercom systems in them, but not once was there a house where the system actually worked. Do any of you goons actually have one in your house that works? I'm not talking about a new one you installed yourself, I mean an old one that came with the house that uses wires and wood paneling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
When we moved into our house when I was a kid, in the kitchen there was an intercom station with an AM/FM radio and a wall mounted record player. The record player at the time still worked, and I got the radio to work on occasion and play in other rooms, but I could never make the intercom work.

It was loving awesome when I was 10 though, it had so many button and switches it looked like a spaceship control panel.

[edit] I found a picture of a similar one. Ours had more switches on it I think. There wasn't anything in that second cabinet, but it looked like it had a hookup for an 8track or something.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 31, 2020

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Korthal posted:

I had friends and family who lived in houses that all had old 1970s intercom systems in them, but not once was there a house where the system actually worked. Do any of you goons actually have one in your house that works? I'm not talking about a new one you installed yourself, I mean an old one that came with the house that uses wires and wood paneling.

I toured some really outdated house not too long ago that had one that worked. It was just like you describe, wood paneling and a bunch of metal button, probably 1970's era.

That house was a 1.5 million dollar home that needed a complete remodel lol. gently caress american real estate.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

drat I want that record player!

EDIT: this is extemely my poo poo:

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 31, 2020

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
When I was kid we moved into a house built in the 1930's. It had a buzzer downstairs right outside the kitchen, connected up to the hallway upstairs. This was not a big house by any means, actually kinda small, you would only have to shout at like a medium volume to do the buzzer's job. Maybe it was one cool trick to feel like you lived in a mansion.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

we moved into a house that had the one in the op and me and my brother would curse and fart through it so my dad smashed it. now we just yell across the house at each other and say 'what' a lot.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoxXIHJcFI

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

My grandmother's house had one when I was a kid, but it was sold off when she passed away in the 90's. They were pretty cool but kinda useless nowdays.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want one in my house cause ill eventually have kids and they deserve the finer, stupider things in life.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I live in like a 100 year old apartment building and that poo poo works. Not that I ever had a chance to test it out tbh

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

We had one in the house I grew up in; it worked somewhat (a LOT of static) but we rarely tried to use it (it was easier to just shout). My dad’s medical office had one though that had a light system (each room was assigned a color and you could page a specific room from another room and a light would go off in the paged-room letting you know which room the page came from) that they used constantly and it seemed like a really smart idea in that context (although now I’m sure people just use phones/text messages fare more effectively).

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
The buzz people in button works but the voice button doesn't. Also the peephole in the door is this old latch style thing that's been painted over and doesn't work. Here are some pictures so you can pretend you're here with me looking at my buzzer and peephole and we're hanging out.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm glad it says 'speak here' on the unit itself because my first thought wasn't to talk to the electric thing on the wall controlling the door that all the noise was coming from, I was going to hold it at arms length and tell my anime wall scroll all about it

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i just shout loudly at my mom to bring me my chocolate milk op

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

My mom bought a house that had a central vacuum system of all things. The house was built in the 1990s and she bought it in the early 2000s. You'd plug a hose into the wall and it would, in theory, suck up into the central cannister. It didn't work at all and would be prohibitively expensive to fix if she could find anyone to fix it. She just uses a regular vacuum. What a weird gimmick.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if you stick your dick innit hypothetically speaking

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Biohazard posted:

drat I want that record player!

EDIT: this is extemely my poo poo:

This is the exact panel that was in the kitchen of the house I grew up in. It was a simple ranch style house built in the mid 50's, and there was a panel just like the one in the OP in every room. There was also one outside next to the front door, but it didn't work. The house wasn't that big, so it made more sense to just yell down the hall than try to use the intercom, but besides the front door panel, it was fully functional. Kinda sucked that the front door would have been the only useful part of the whole system. I think I used the radio on it a few times to play music throughout the house, but the sound quality sucked.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

It feels like I am playing fallout every time I see one. Never seen a working one though.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
We moved into a house that had one when I was 6. It was still pretty cool tech back then, so I was pretty geeked out about it at first. But even my stupid first-grader brain figured out that it was pretty impractical when you could just like walk to the other room. It isn't like we were all spread out across a mansion or anything. It was just a normal suburban house and anybody who was home was probably in the living room. I think I had a stand on a chair to talk into it anyway.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

We had one in our house that was built in the 1930s. One end in the kitchen inside the phone nook, the other in the detached garage, we used it to tell my dad to stop loading ammo and come eat dinner. I guess it stopped working at some point, in the mid 90s. I think it had a radio, too, but we never used that.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Colonel Cancer posted:

I live in like a 100 year old apartment building and that poo poo works. Not that I ever had a chance to test it out tbh

I lived in like a 75 year old one a bit ago that had something that looked like a cheaper plastic version of the one in the OP for letting in folks at the building's front door.
The actual speaker link and intercom didn't work, but the buzzer did and so did the door open switch -sorta.
The really lovely part about that was my apartment was either the default or just the easiest one to access so anytime someone wanted in and didn't know how to call their friend I got to hear a series of loud electrical buzzers in my living room.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I had a friend whose mom was partially deaf, so they installed one of these in their house some time in the 90s for easier communication. The last time I was there was 2003ish, and it was still working. I am unable to verify if it is still active as of this posting, but his parents do still live in the house.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

My older and much much much cooler cousin used to make fart noises through the intercom while all the adults were downstairs eating dinner until his mom shrieked up the stairs: "AL! KNOCK IT OFF!"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I grew up in Brooklyn in the 80s and 90s and we had this exact one in our house.

We had one in the kitchen and one in the basement. So when it was time to eat dinner and we were downstairs in the basement playing video games or whatever my mom would intercom "time to eat!!" like a Pizza Bagels commercial and poo poo

If the dial on the intercom was off, pressing the button would just emit a high pitch buzz and it meant essentially the same thing (time to eat).

It worked from the time my parents bought the house in the 80s until we moved in 2002.

clitical hit
Nov 21, 2015

My dad spent who knows how much to install an intercom in every room in our house... And my mom still ended up screaming from downstairs. I just want the record player in the wall.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm currently housesitting a mansion with a working intercom system.

Well actually I'm dogsitting. The dog has a bell she rings when she has to pee, and I am expected to respond to it every time. I am literally a piss butler.

Anyway haven't had cause to use the intercom, since the people who live here are gone, but apparently it does work and it's a hell of a lot easier than wandering around for ten minutes looking for the person you're trying to talk to.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Sitting Here posted:

I'm currently housesitting a mansion with a working intercom system.

Well actually I'm dogsitting. The dog has a bell she rings when she has to pee, and I am expected to respond to it every time. I am literally a piss butler.

Anyway haven't had cause to use the intercom, since the people who live here are gone, but apparently it does work and it's a hell of a lot easier than wandering around for ten minutes looking for the person you're trying to talk to.

why would they teach the dog to ring and bell when it needs to pee instead of teach the dog not to pee until you let it outside. :confused:

also you should teach the dog to use the intercom so you can do shenanigans.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Find an out-of-the-way room and set up something to occasionally play a recording of the pissbell through the intercom.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hello? I need to talk to you while I’m pooping. :phone:

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I lived in a flat where it worked fine but all I'd ever get were the neighbour kids playing with the buttons outside, it was annoying cause that poo poo was real loud

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
This old thing is outside our units. The only people who ever call it are the occasional delivery driver. It's behind a door that is permanently open so I don't know why they bother, cos they can just walk in if they want

It rings this old rear end phone in the kitchen. It rings just rarely enough that we forget it exists and say "what the gently caress is that" when it rings.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
The house I grew up had an intercom in every room, it was actually replaced with a brand new system in the late 90s. We never used it because it was easier to page on the PBX. Had a central vacuum system too.

They still make them but I think anyone in the market for one these days is going to use a PBX and a proper whole house audio system.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Three Olives posted:

The house I grew up had an intercom in every room, it was actually replaced with a brand new system in the late 90s. We never used it because it was easier to page on the PBX. Had a central vacuum system too.

They still make them but I think anyone in the market for one these days is going to use a PBX and a proper whole house audio system.

How old were you when you first decided that you hate poor people?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Strumpie posted:

why would they teach the dog to ring and bell when it needs to pee instead of teach the dog not to pee until you let it outside. :confused:

also you should teach the dog to use the intercom so you can do shenanigans.

I'm just a plebe it's not my place to know the rationale of my betters

Xaintrailles posted:

Find an out-of-the-way room and set up something to occasionally play a recording of the pissbell through the intercom.

tired: gaslighting
wired: pisslighting

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Korthal posted:

My aunt and uncle have a system that looks just like the one in this picture and their house was built in the early-mid 90s so I dont think thats from the 70s.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
My friend had one and as teenagers we would get high and curse at his parents in Urdu using it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

We've got an intercom but it's built into the floor and it just pushes hot or cold air out, kind of ineffective if you ask me

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Korthal posted:

my grandparents had one that I remember from the late 80s early 90s but I do not think I ever saw the thing actually working. not sure what model, looked kind of like this.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I remember seeing some old documentary or investigative report on how houses were going to become automated. There was a scene where these rich old people had a computer named "Leonardo" installed. There is a really good scene of the old lady trying to get it to work and just repeating "Leonardo, Leonardo, Leonardo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

My gramps had a really nice house with a central vacuum system. It sucked!

A family friend briefly lived in a house with a loving dumbwaiter which I was obviously obsessed with as a dumb kid