Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Also, spock was sleeping on the job when he did not immediately check the programming of the computer. It sounds like he only made sure a bunch of beans had not made their way into the computer chassis and called it quits.

But yeah, the acting was good and aside from the somewhat lame showdown at the end I was kind of at the edge of my seat.

The witnesses were given the computer disks after each testimony, is that a record of their testimony, were they IDs of some kind or does everyone carry their service record with them?

thotsky fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

thotsky posted:

The TOS Episode "Court Martial" was pretty good, although it does seem weird how the prosecution does not have to present any evidence other than the computer tapes. You would think finding the jettisoned pod and/or a body would be pretty important.

The twist was pretty good, although I expected the turn of the angry kid to be indicative of her having learned the truth of the twist, rather than just being convinced of the captains morals by a few letters.

It's an okay episode, but Cogley's legal strategy always seemed strange to me: raise no objections and sit out the first part of the trial, then grandstand about being "accused by technology". The Measure of a Man seemed like a more accurate depiction of a court martial.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's an okay episode, but Cogley's legal strategy always seemed strange to me: raise no objections and sit out the first part of the trial, then grandstand about being "accused by technology". The Measure of a Man seemed like a more accurate depiction of a court martial.
Yes he was a very lovely lawyer

He also had no idea that the evidence was fake and lucked out that they figured out the ruse

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Kirk was clearly being manoeuvred into taking a fall, and part of that was recommended him the Federation’s worst lawyer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Probably not good for Finney that Cogley is his attorney

A week later he was probably working in an asteroid mine

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bunch of Trek RPG books on Humble Bundle, supporting the NAACP Legal Defense Fund.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Technowolf posted:

Bunch of Trek RPG books on Humble Bundle, supporting the NAACP Legal Defense Fund.

For a second there you got my hopes up that it was the old FASA stuff from the 80s. :(

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

MikeJF posted:

Oh man I just saw an early study of the Enterprise-E and it looks so much nicer without all the little jaggies

Mods are asleep post smooth enterprise.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Duckula posted:

Mods are asleep post smooth enterprise.

It looks like something from the wierd time travel dream sequence from Star Trek IV that nobody discusses, ever.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Astroman posted:

It looks like something from the wierd time travel dream sequence from Star Trek IV that nobody discusses, ever.

wait, the what?

oh gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65nSJrF-zgw&t=91s

how did I forget about this scene :psyduck:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s like some perfectly coded film hack that makes you forget about it immediately after you see it. But when you watch it, you’re like... “what the gently caress”.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s just so off the wall and unexpected as a time travel sequence. Everyone dies, becomes one, is reborn through fire, awakes. Because the rest of the film is basically comedy, it genuinely does get forgotten in a moment.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I like the visual parallelism between the BOP/Enterprise/whale.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It’s just so off the wall and unexpected as a time travel sequence. Everyone dies, becomes one, is reborn through fire, awakes. Because the rest of the film is basically comedy, it genuinely does get forgotten in a moment.

I like making time travel a really hosed up bizarre risky experience which helps a little bit to justify why it isn't happening all the time. As opposed to stuff like the end of First Contact when right at the end of the film they're just like "Ok, time to easily open a portal back to the future".

MikeJF posted:

Oh man I just saw an early study of the Enterprise-E and it looks so much nicer without all the little jaggies

I'd love to see the Ent-E with Ent-D style detailing and finish. The original concept with forward swept pylons is interesting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I finally got my copy of the DS9 tech manual, and I’m a little disappointed it doesn’t have the real world footnotes like the TNG one did. They really added to making it a fun read, and helped explain some of the decisions as to why things are a certain way.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Senor Tron posted:

I like making time travel a really hosed up bizarre risky experience which helps a little bit to justify why it isn't happening all the time. As opposed to stuff like the end of First Contact when right at the end of the film they're just like "Ok, time to easily open a portal back to the future".

I'd love to see the Ent-E with Ent-D style detailing and finish. The original concept with forward swept pylons is interesting.

That looks so right to me that I didnt even recognize it wasn't the same ship from the movies.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
ENT is really inconsistent with when they care about Xindi life and when they kill without remorse. I could chalk it up to different writers, or different characters but it's almost as bad as Janeway's characterization.

Mayweather offers his life for a kamizake mission and I guess it's supposed to make me feel something, but he may as well be a recurring redshirt at this point. I keep fully expecting him to die to further Archer's manpain but he's so useless he hasn't been off the ship in 5 episodes.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 30, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So O'Brien is Irish, I guess Keiko is japanese, and Picard is Franglish, but are Ryker, Geordi, Barkley, Crusher, and Pulaski just American?

I guess Worf is really Russian, but he tries his hardest to cover that up. And I guess probably most writers forget that too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Technowolf posted:

This is a fantastic deal and STA is a really great RPG system. I'm playing in a weekly game of it now and having a blast.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Riker is Alaskan. Geordi is from loving Mogadishu.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
but crusher?

she was born on the moon

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Archer has been incompetent for drat near 3 years, been responsible for hundreds of deaths, and thrown a temper tantrum every single time something has gone even slightly not his way, but thank god he gave a 2 sentence speech about being kinda guilty about 2 of his dozens of lovely command decisions, or else I might be inclined to think he's a piece of poo poo!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pick posted:

Riker is Alaskan. Geordi is from loving Mogadishu.

The Siskos are the only African-American main or recurring characters in Star Trek, if I recall correctly. Uhura was from the African Confederation, Geordi is Somalian, Mayweather and Burnham's families were both spacers. Kass was from a colony world, I think?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 30, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think part of why they made Geordi from Mogadishu was an affirmative statement that, in fact, Africa will not be a hosed-up hellhole forever.

Also what's wrong with being from the moon

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Yate's freighter being called the Xhosa implies a South African connection for her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think part of why they made Geordi from Mogadishu was an affirmative statement that, in fact, Africa will not be a hosed-up hellhole forever.

Also what's wrong with being from the moon

Everyone assumes your family are either cheese farmers or whalers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I was about to say the Asian characters are actually the opposite, but it turns out it's pretty varied. Sulu and Harry Kim are both Americans, Hoshi and Keiko are both Japanese. Georgiou is Malaysian according to Sperg Alpha (despite the Greek name?).

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 30, 2020

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Until explicitly told otherwise, I will claim that the reason that there's not a lot of China-Chinese or anyone from India in Star Trek is because WWIII went very, very, very, very badly for those countries.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was reminded last night that the very first extremely racist joke I remember being told as a small child was about Star Trek.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

Until explicitly told otherwise, I will claim that the reason that there's not a lot of China-Chinese or anyone from India in Star Trek is because WWIII went very, very, very, very badly for those countries.

Khan Singh?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pick posted:

Khan Singh?

He’s gen X, pre WW3

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol at the thought of Kahn blasting Pixies as he gears up for world domination.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Drone posted:

I was about to say the Asian characters are actually the opposite, but it turns out it's pretty varied. Sulu and Harry Kim are both Americans, Hoshi and Keiko are both Japanese. Georgiou is Malaysian according to Sperg Alpha (despite the Greek name?).

I woulda thought that Sulu was supposed to be from Japan proper from how he's got some traditional Japanese dress in the movies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I woulda thought that Sulu was supposed to be from Japan proper from how he's got some traditional Japanese dress in the movies.

The only thing we know is that Sulu once said he was born in San Francisco. He might have grown up anywhere on Earth (or off Earth, for that matter).

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was reminded last night that the very first extremely racist joke I remember being told as a small child was about Star Trek.

“So a Pakled, a Ferengi and an Irishman walk into a bar...”

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Chekov also sports some kinda ridiculous looking neo-Russian garb in Star Trek 3, too.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I was going to tell y'all 5 jokes but I could only think of 4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really like this one. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUKt3KyMhHY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

So O'Brien is Irish, I guess Keiko is japanese, and Picard is Franglish, but are Ryker, Geordi, Barkley, Crusher, and Pulaski just American?

I guess Worf is really Russian, but he tries his hardest to cover that up. And I guess probably most writers forget that too.

wait I thought Worf's family were like, uber Greek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

sexpig by night posted:

wait I thought Worf's family were like, uber Greek

This clip has subtle hints as to where Worf's family is from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138gX3wolOo