Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottMillerBbl/status/1289312104286060544

Seriously can we please just raze the entire state of Florida off the face of the earth?

How was that not part of the initial plan :wtf:

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I agree to this, but only if you include the Marlins

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

The Glumslinger posted:

Because they never took this seriously in the first place?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Jesus loving christ. Just shut it down, this is sub Gary bettman level idiocy. Rob Manfred Eat poo poo And Die

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Found a nice picture of two cardinals pitchers flouting masks and social distancing while out renting a boat and SOMEHOW neither one of them is Carlos Martinez.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The most apt gif

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Found a nice picture of two cardinals pitchers flouting masks and social distancing while out renting a boat and SOMEHOW neither one of them is Carlos Martinez.

p-p-post that poo poo

also lol this is the sport where their brilliant plan was foiled by "oh poo poo there's other people in the hotels". this was never going to be anything other than a disaster because this country is nothing but a disaster

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mattingly should be permanently banned from the sport. Has any single person's incompetence led to an entire loving season being derailed before?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees and Red Sox are both honoring the Astros by banging on tin cans.

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1289335113554079744

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 1, 2020

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Mattingly should be permanently banned from the sport. Has any single person's incompetence led to an entire loving season being derailed before?

Rob Manfred?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, realistically, this has always been the plan.

They created a half-rear end plan that they didn't plan to enforce whatsoever. Surprisingly, people didn't adhere to it, thus backing MLB with the argument that their plan wasn't a bad idea from the start, it could have worked if it just weren't for Those Pesky Players (*cough* and some scapegoats in team management that we'll try to look past). It's too bad the players were so flagrantly violating ownership's sterling plan for keeping baseball going and caused the premature end of the season.

At least that's how they think they can get it sold.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Spaced God posted:

Sure, but what about Manfred?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Doctor Teeth posted:

p-p-post that poo poo

also lol this is the sport where their brilliant plan was foiled by "oh poo poo there's other people in the hotels". this was never going to be anything other than a disaster because this country is nothing but a disaster

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1289339564675551232

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Astros scandal: let the players off

Supposedly the only reason the league was able to do an investigation into the team was because they gave the players immunity

Nodoze posted:

Incoming tommy john surgery

Would he even be able to get it right now? Or do athletes get to have special exemptions for elective surgery the way they get to get tested daily

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees and Red Sox are both honoring the Astros by banging on tin cans.

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1289335113554079744

A lot of people said the league was trying to keep the Red Sox cheating investigation and punishment as low key as possible and man did they succeed

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Johnny Bravo posted:

Rob Manfred?

Mattingly coaches the Marlins, so he has some culpability w/r/t players not following bubble protocol.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Mattingly coaches the Marlins, so he has some culpability w/r/t players not following bubble protocol.

I don't disagree with ya. I disagree with him being the single most incompetent person causing baseball to shutdown again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean... maybe its just that we're talking about my favorite player as a child and I certainly think Mattingly has SOME culpability. But like "Ban Mattingly for this" feels very scapegoatish to me. A whole poo poo load of people didn't take poo poo seriously and I'm not sure the blame should fall squarely on middle management.

But then again that's how we handled the Astros thing so I guess its consistent at least.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I mean... maybe its just that we're talking about my favorite player as a child and I certainly think Mattingly has SOME culpability. But like "Ban Mattingly for this" feels very scapegoatish to me. A whole poo poo load of people didn't take poo poo seriously and I'm not sure the blame should fall squarely on middle management.

But then again that's how we handled the Astros thing so I guess its consistent at least.

Yeah, exactly this. If anyone is gonna be blamed from the Marlins, at least put it on Jeter. But I'm still of the opinion Manfred did as little as he could to ensure any of this actually worked and essentially set on field talent up to fail so that when they do, it's their fault for being careless.

Whether or not that's incompetence is up to what you view Manfred's job is I guess. Quite competent at helping owners, wholly inadequate at looking after baseball the sport (and it's players).

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Why are 47 hats so washed out?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Johnny Bravo posted:

Yeah, exactly this. If anyone is gonna be blamed from the Marlins, at least put it on Jeter. But I'm still of the opinion Manfred did as little as he could to ensure any of this actually worked and essentially set on field talent up to fail so that when they do, it's their fault for being careless.

Whether or not that's incompetence is up to what you view Manfred's job is I guess. Quite competent at helping owners, wholly inadequate at looking after baseball the sport (and it's players).

I mean I think the players hold responsibility too. But yeah, ultimately this is on MLB for dozens of different reasons. Just the fact that they allowed the situation in Miami to happen instead of having clear rules about players who test positive sitting out or teams having to clear before they go out there is insane.

It just seems like the same kind of weird thing with the Stros where the union protects the players and the commish protects the owners so no one left to blame except the manager. I guess that's always been what the manager is there for but the absurdity and futility of it is really on display lately.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 1, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MADRIGAL IS UP!!!!!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I wore a Bucks mask today instead of a Brewers mask.

I made the right choice.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I mean I think the players hold responsibility too. But yeah, ultimately this is on MLB for dozens of different reasons. Just the fact that they allowed the situation in Miami to happen instead of having clear rules about players who test positive sitting out or teams having to clear before they go out there is insane.

Yeah for sure. The players are all grown adults and bear some responsibility too but it's not like the blame game is a zero sum thing where if MLB is to blame then players aren't or vice versa. Relying on 30 teams to keep themselves COVID free seems highly impractical and unrealistic without the infrastructure in place to support that, which was Manfred's job.

e: Sorry, I know you weren't trying to make that point about it being MLB or the players to blame and I didn't mean to imply that. I think we both agree that everyone is a little to blame and some are a lot to blame though!

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 1, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

too bad you missed the boat on Fernando Rodney

e: wait no, he signed with an indy ball team so he's still available

Rodney signed with the Astros today, sorry to everyone who cherishes him

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Johnny Bravo posted:

e: Sorry, I know you weren't trying to make that point about it being MLB or the players to blame and I didn't mean to imply that. I think we both agree that everyone is a little to blame and some are a lot to blame though!

No worries. I didn't take it that way. I was trying to just like be careful because of the Mattingly thing because I know I'm not objective there. I think we agree everyone's got some blame but ultimately this is the same stuff we've been killing MLB as an organization and whole on for weeks. Marlins were just the guys who made the first big fuckup that exposed the massive holes in the system.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rodney is already a cubs legend for getting like an out and then shooting the arrow on the cardinals in NLDS

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

"No way to prevent this. Says only major sport where this is happening."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1289304394312212481?s=21

???

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/JDodgersLA/status/1289378253040320512?s=19

:stare:

Why didn't I make my team the Dodgers?

OxySnake posted:

"No way to prevent this. Says only major sport where this is happening."

League you mean. NPB and Korean baseball are fine..

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That throw by Betts Jfc

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The National Women's Soccer League completed its season with zero covid cases.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Good god, Mookie

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hahaha I didn't remember this
https://twitter.com/JATayler/status/1289390032071974913

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Blooper should be the MVP of every game, really.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I don't know how anyone could dislike Rizzo. Dude just fuckin' loves life. (which makes sense)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/1289390475833536513

This loving sucks. Dude is highly underrated.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rickiep00h posted:

I don't know how anyone could dislike Rizzo. Dude just fuckin' loves life. (which makes sense)

To be fair he can be kind of a dickhead on the field. He's also had a couple hard slides into opposing catchers.

But yes off the field he's a fantastic guy.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

To be fair he can be kind of a dickhead on the field. He's also had a couple hard slides into opposing catchers.

But yes off the field he's a fantastic guy.

Fair. Something something competitor? (I've only been to one Cubs game (the 163 vs MIL, wherein Rizzo hit a pretty good donger) and don't actually follow them all that much despite living in walking distance to Wrigley.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1289397493147394048