Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It is possible to finesse placement on the edge of the forest while still not being tree blocked, but yeah its silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Is it documented anywhere what bonuses and penalties various factions get for post-battle loot and sacking settlements?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Oh hey there's a physical edition coming out. That's cool except:

- It's just the first game

- It includes Chaos and Beastmen

Not bad, but still.

It feels like two things to me. First is that there's going to be a game 1+3 Mortal Empires equivalent which ignores the South West. Second that this is going to be the version of game 1 to get put up on (and possibly given away for free on) the Epic Store while TWW 3 will be on both. It's simultaneously giving away a four year old game (so not much lost) and encouraging at least some people to get TWW3 on the Epic Store because you get a lot of DLC for free. The physical edition is just a stunt.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like the Wood Elfs and their celtic blood cult meets Tolkien aesthetic that they've got going on but their micro heavy playstyle combined with their tree maps that you cant see anything on drive me insane.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I like the Wood Elfs and their celtic blood cult meets Tolkien aesthetic that they've got going on but their micro heavy playstyle combined with their tree maps that you cant see anything on drive me insane.

The true way to play Wood Elves is to play Durthu and bring the forest to the enemy. Don't need any of that silly micro when you've got trees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For quite a long time whenever I played empire I would end up with durthu periodically trundling out of the forest with a stack of like, 17 trees and a regiment of wild riders.

And that's easily enough to dunk a garrison, but it's a slow and tedious fight.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 1, 2020

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

High Elves are way more Tolkienesque than Wood Elves, IMO.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

You talking noldor or sindar? Cos high elves are noldor, sindar are wood elves.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

For quite a long time whenever I played empire I would end up with durthu periodically trundling out of the forest with a stack of like, 17 trees and a regiment of wild riders.

And that's easily enough to dunk a garrison, but it's a slow and tedious fight.

Adolf Branchler is on his way to gently caress up Brettonia.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

which ones did bilbo escape in a barrel?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Southpaugh posted:

Maybe I don't know much about Wood Elves, but the Sindar are like, chill, ya know? Wood Elves seem like they are kind of pscyopathic.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Southpaugh posted:

a.k.a the poncy Rivendell elves (Elrond) versus the spooky Lothlórien elves (Galadriel when she went a bit nutty)

edit:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Maybe I don't know much about Wood Elves, but the Sindar are like, chill, ya know? Wood Elves seem like they are kind of pscyopathic.

see the "when Galadriel went apeshit" bit above, not when she was pretending to be all nice

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Feanor would've fit right in on Ulthuan.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

orangelex44 posted:

a.k.a the poncy Rivendell elves (Elrond) versus the spooky Lothlórien elves (Galadriel when she went a bit nutty)

edit:

see the "when Galadriel went apeshit" bit above, not when she was pretending to be all nice

Galadriel is a Noldor Elf...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think wood elves are mirkwood, i.e forest's fukkin fulla spiders and if they don't get you the elfs will shoot you for fun.

Also they live in caves. Like some sort of dwarf.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite Wood Elf quote is when they confirm that they are just waiting for the nearby humans to gently caress up so that they can decorate the forest with human entrails.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Elves and humans, should be friends. Imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am quite happy to leave them in their forest as the empire, but they insist on getting hosed up on cheap brettonian wine and going on a pub crawl into reikland.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

OwlFancier posted:

I am quite happy to leave them in their forest as the empire, but they insist on getting hosed up on cheap brettonian wine and going on a pub crawl into reikland.

When wood elf fightiness boils over they launch an eugh, and woe to those who border them and have better things to do.

Maybe CA made them jerks to get them in the mix at least since no one wants their land.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Wood elves definitely seem more like elves from actual mythology compared to Tolkien elves. They may save your village from raiders, or they may just decide to kidnap all of the children for no clear reason. Their actions are frequently inscrutable and may flip between benevolent and malicious seemingly at random.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nah I'm pretty sure all they do is get hosed up and raid. The orks comparison is most apt.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
That Dwarf faction in the mountains west of Altdorf always seems to start a bunch of poo poo too when I play Empire. Skarsnik and Kemmler, on the other hand, never seem to leave their provinces and spend the whole game sending me sad non-aggression pact offers.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
When Orion wakes up sometimes he's super irritable so he gets the lads together to go slap in anyone within slapping distance to work off the sleepy-head and that's why Wild Hunts happen.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Zephro posted:

Late to this but the difficulty ratings given to each LL in the start screen are years out of date. Dwarfs is in no way an "Easy" start now. If you do ever want to try it again, you have to play tall in The Silver Road for quite a few turns because you will get krumped from Death Pass to the south, the Badlands to the West and occasionally from Mount Gunbad to the north. You'll need to build up to a full stack fairly quickly and then recruit a second army to hold Silver Road while you use your first army to go and smash things. You can either beeline for Gunbad, which is one of the richest provinces available, or you can go south and try to take Black Crag, which is also pretty rich and will set Grimgor back pretty badly if you can take it. Wall up every single minor settlement you take, since it makes the AI much more reluctant to attack them and will give you much-needed freedom of movement.

A few random tips:

- Your defence army should usually be in ambush stance near either Pillars of Grungni or Mount Squighorn so you can bait the AI into attacking the city and the fight their stack with your stack plus the garrison
- Karaz-a-Karak has a really strong garrison and should be able to fight off most sieges by itself for a long time
- If you can raze Karag Dron early on then it will slow the greentide down a bit because they will often try to resettle it with a full stack, losing a big chunk of their troops in the process. You can then go and kick it over again and repeat the process
- As soon as you get some Oathgold, forge some cheap +melee defence stuff for your lord. You can use him to tarpit several units of Boyz or Goblins at once and then fire grudge throwers into the melee. They'll basically never hit your lord but will get hundreds of kills each.
- Thorgrim is a better tank than Grombrindal and starts with a grudge thrower. On the other hand grudge throwers are pretty easy to get, and you can make Grombrindal into a decent tank in his own right. Grombrindal also starts with Irondrakes, which take a long time for Thogrim to get and which absolutely pulverise early-game Greenskin stuff. Plus his blue line is amazing.
- Quarrelers are your friend against early-game Greenskins.

Yeah, some of these tips (especially the quarrelers) I figured out on my retry. The rest are great tips I wish I knew earlier! Irondrakes were invaluable, I was genuinely sad when I finally lost that first unit.

I took Black Crag early but it took me like 40 more turns to finally kill off grimgor after he confederated wurrzag and a few other factions, mostly because it took me a while to realize how to defend the silver road. Black Crag was the key to my defense vs them and the skaven, who kept trying to swoop in and prey on me once I dealt with waaaghs. I'm at about turn 110 and wiped out all the greenskins about 20 turns ago. I've started confederating all the nearby dwarves and am in a knock down fight with Skaven clans eshin and mors.

Funnily, Karl Franz has taken over most of the map.i can see by wiping out the vampires.

Sega 32X fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 1, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there any area of the game more satisfying to burn to the ground than Athel Loren?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Re the conversation about wood elves above, I'm having an absolute loving blast playing SFO Orion right now with the mod that starts your capital at tier 4. Just popping out of the wood and absolutely slaughtering whoever walks by the forest with my guerilla army running at them from all sides shooting armour piercing or magical arrows, razing a village or two then back to the woods to replenish and ambush punitive armies trying to come at me. Probably the most fun I've had in WH2 honestly, and it all came from almost removing amber and some other slight changes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is there any area of the game more satisfying to burn to the ground than Athel Loren?
Ulthuan

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

:hmmorks:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone remember Impossible Creatures? That Relic RTS from the early 2000s? I'm secretly hoping it is Throt in the upcoming DLC and he's got a system where you mix and match monster parts to come up with horrible, janky abominations.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 1, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Skavenblight

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mordja posted:

Anyone remember Impossible Species? That Relic RTS from the early 2000s? I'm secretly hoping it is Throt in the upcoming DLC and he's got a system where you mix and match monster parts to come up with horrible, janky abominations.

Yes, but the best thing to do was cross an ant with a sperm whale but pick all ant parts, and call it the gi-ant.

Also viable was the eleph-ant.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but the best thing to do was cross an ant with a sperm whale but pick all ant parts, and call it the gi-ant.

Also viable was the eleph-ant.

I think there's a place for you in my society of supervillains

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The new SFO patch is awful. They decided growth was too fast for some reason and that no one enjoys tier 4 units anyway.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mordja posted:

Anyone remember Impossible Species? That Relic RTS from the early 2000s? I'm secretly hoping it is Throt in the upcoming DLC and he's got a system where you mix and match monster parts to come up with horrible, janky abominations.

Oh man, Impossible Creatures was fun. I still play that piece of poo poo now and then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mercrom posted:

The new SFO patch is awful. They decided growth was too fast for some reason and that no one enjoys tier 4 units anyway.

How so? You've always taken stiff growth penalties if you tax a region, you generally want to untax undeveloped regions cos the money you get is crap anyway, then build some growth buildings as you transition to taxing it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I mean the change to the surplus needed to grow the main settlement so you need an extra surplus point for every tier. I'm stuck with 2 slots in the main settlement forever as Gelt.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Get another mod that speeds the process up

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Like say, this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2166847614&searchtext=sfo+fast+campaign

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do personally really like the slower and more diffcult strategic game in SFO so I'm probably the weirdo they made the change for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Are Black Coaches any good? As i get a bigger and bigger empire as VC the "trash army and hammer army" strategy is getting less tenable as I need to defend more territory and I haven't committed to, like, just all skeletons with Wind of Death yet, so I'm trying to transition to make my former trash armies a bit more autonomous, even if they can't do too much. The solution to me seemed to be Mortis Engines since they bolster Winds, support skeletons, heal them, and sap health in ways that seem to work well with the longer grind while the Lord (ideally Lahmian) and two vampires kill poo poo. But if I go for red line skills for skeletons and Mortis Engines, I don't have much else in terms of heavy hitters and I've never really used Coaches. They good? Terrible?

Also it's a shame that Strigoi don't have upkeep reduction for ghouls/crypt horrors like other lords do for their units.