Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Does the Magical Girl school have sports teams? I can't recall if Cagle is North American where high school sports are A Big Deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
And then I did this

Not proud of tired Brezhnev gag, but I ran out of creativity, so that's what you get today

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
She is from Texas, but I don't think anyone ever mentioned sports teams being a thing. I mean it is just one city.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Her love of Texas only manifests in the form of weird kitschy stuff in the shape of Texas, cowgirls/boys and that weird beaver mascot store thing.

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1038745100644507649

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 30, 2020

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Does the Magical Girl school have sports teams? I can't recall if Cagle is North American where high school sports are A Big Deal.

They have a track field but uh, competitive sports leagues are pretty tough to organize when the entire (available) human population fits inside a single city, so I imagine sports aren't a big deal.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

sirtommygunn posted:

They have a track field but uh, competitive sports leagues are pretty tough to organize when the entire (available) human population fits inside a single city, so I imagine sports aren't a big deal.

I dunno. If they're large enough to have 4 high schools they're large enough to have some serious high school rivalries. And 4 high schools is what you get with like 100k population.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I feel like parkour/freerunning class would be a thing

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Kennel posted:

And then I did this

Not proud of tired Brezhnev gag, but I ran out of creativity, so that's what you get today

:lol:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

7c Nickel posted:

Her love of Texas only manifests in the form of weird kitschy stuff in the shape of Texas, cowgirls/boys and that weird beaver mascot store thing.

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1038745100644507649

I wonder if that’s BBQ sauce or a Shiner Bock

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

And here's the results of the OTHER poll https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/blog/the-goldies

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm glad the actual best character has finally returned:

Stern Wakeup Penguin Alarm Clock

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The team alchemical sand jar has Undine as the bottom layer. It makes sense. Undine was the "nice one" unassuming but kind of the most important to their team cohesion. She was also the first one to get powers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

rannum posted:

And here's the results of the OTHER poll https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/blog/the-goldies

"Hahaha I'm so glad people like Cassidy's whole weird scissor split situation. It's quite a specific power set compared to Undine's water control or whatnot! But it was so much fun to draw."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It'll be fun in the future too, when she needs to draw Cassidy again. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I am so happy all the love Zoe got in these polls. Definitely cool that she nearly got as many votes in the main one as the two leads.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Only three people stay dead in comics and they are all Cassidy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Cassidy's body reformed in a farm upstate where she has a lot of room to run and play! But it's outside the barrier so she can't come back to the city.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Discendo Vox posted:

"Hahaha I'm so glad people like Cassidy's whole weird scissor split situation. It's quite a specific power set compared to Undine's water control or whatnot! But it was so much fun to draw."

Confirmed that Cassidy will have a new power set when she returns!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ashcans posted:

Cassidy is now a pair of scissors that have to be pulled apart by a human to activate her power.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ashcans posted:

She had cut+copy, now she'll have paste.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

nimby posted:

Cassidy is now a pair of scissors that have to be pulled apart by a human to activate her power.

So this whole thing is a prequel to Kill La Kill, and the city in the barrier will become one giant school?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Next chapter, a new transfer student arrives, taking Cassidy's place in the class and eventually the training club too.

No-one comments on the resemblance, and it's never explained.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Apraxin posted:

Next chapter, a new transfer student arrives, taking Cassidy's place in the class and eventually the training club too.

Also, she never actually talks or contributes to the plot; she is just standing in the background of panels, exactly like this.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's Cassidy's identical twin sister, Kassidy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Did a re-read the other day and man I hope Mark shows up again soon, I wanna find out his deal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Apraxin posted:

:perfect:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Dead magic girls sure don't ever have eyes, do they. Wonder if that means something.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I forget - have dead magical girls not had eyes in the past? like has that been A Thing?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

There is a panel where Undine is thinking about team alchemical, and everyone but Tess has the Zimmy eyes.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wittgen posted:

There is a panel where Undine is thinking about team alchemical, and everyone but Tess has the Zimmy eyes.

This post sent me rereading a bunch of random pages, and I found the page you're talking about :
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-8-page-34

I also was reminded of something that's probably fruitful for theorycrafting: the monsters and the barrier often match thematically: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-7-page-28

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That is the page I was thinking of, but I misremembered the eyes as covered in black, not blank white.

I think I mixed it up with this page

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 2, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't think the blank eyes are literal. It looks to me like it's just a way to represent their being dead.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Well, yeah. It's obviously being used that way.

But eyes are a pretty strong motif in this comic, so it's interesting to think about what more could be being hinted at here. In addition to the pages already linked, there is Undine and Kokoro's eyes. They are very explicitly the way they are for a reason tying into the nature of magical girl powers. If you want to speculate on what happens to magical girls' powers when they die or why hoops is bothering to kill magical girls, the consistent use of blank or shadowed eyes for dead girls is notable.

The one where Tess has pink eyes is especially striking to me. Undine is guilty about what happened to all of them, but she still imagines Tess with pink eyes. Those eyes are the exact thing Tess gave up for Undine that would make her feel guilty. Cagle could have given her blank eyes and emphasized that Magical Aether is dead even if Tess survived. But she didn't.

Zoe's magical girl mark and goops getting stabbed are the other notable eye things that I can think of. Zoe feels like she has gotten a lot of screentime for how tangential she is to the main story so far. Could just be because she is awesome, but it feels to me like she will become more important and involved further on.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's some more eye imagery

to non-magical-girls, a slight scratch from a monster has them all exit from, in addition to your mouth and the wound itself, your eyes https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-9-page-20
a full on death sentence melts them entirely https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-27 https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-29

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah I wanted to go back and post the pages where that kid gets infected but I was too lazy. Thanks goon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:rip:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah Bud's eyes seem to always be blank when she's transformed. Either that's some crazy twist coming down the road... or we're drawing too sharp a line around this "eyes" theme.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Her theme color is white so her irises are white. The lack of pupils is probably because irisless pupils are kinda creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Bud's eyes are always like that and that's why she's keeping them closed all the time when not transformed.