Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
macs are good if you have very specific software needs (ie Final Cut, Logic Pro) but unless you're getting one for those specific use cases you're massively overpaying for what you get

you can get a windows laptop with equivalent specs to a current MBP for literally half the price ($2k for mac vs $1k for windows) without having to go into "gamer laptop" bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's good to make sure you're seen using the right type of computer, and not the bad type of computer (Soy, bolshevism, etc)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

No brands, no masters.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. World Class Leaderboard with commentary?

The Commodore version only had the sounds of golf swings and the gently hitting things. Fantastic game, though.

I can't imagine it without the commentary, it's what it was most remembered for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW4LL6f9xmE

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

spaceblancmange posted:

I just had this boring thing instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0W7RT-Yp9E

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't care bout golf in real life but I feel like it should be a bigger video game...thing.
As well as mini golf.

Maybe it is. I don't play video games much these days.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There are a fair amount of golf games, some serious and some not.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a top of the line XPS15 from work and a seven year old MacBook Pro and I only use the Dell when someone is paying me to. Just saying.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Can people defining themselves by the products they buy (or don't) be the obsolete technology now?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i will say that the other end is that, with a mac, you can pretty much just buy whatever the current macs are and they'll work fine for whatever you want to do with them, because there's only one manufacturer and they don't have any SKUs that are really lovely.

whereas if you just go buy some random windows laptop at walmart or best buy or whatever, odds are pretty solid it's going to be an absolute pile of poo poo that no sane person would ever use, and you actually have to pay attention to specs to get a good one. and even then, different brands have wildly varying build quality, pre-installed crapware, etc etc.

but as a brokeass, it frankly seems worth it just because you save like a thousand loving dollars buying an equivalent windows laptop compared to the mac. it's not really a brand loyalty thing for me, i'd happily buy a mac if they didn't charge insane prices or if i needed FCP or Logic for something; it's more a "holy loving poo poo that's a lot of money" thing.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I like it when windows laptops have like a 5mm silver coloured plastic bezel surrounding the touchpad which features both a discrete Scrolling Area and a weird integrated loose dpad looking thing that you will never ever use, and also a row of mushy media playback/volume control buttons above the keyboard, which all cease to function entirely if you disallow the manufacturer's crapware from starting on boot and eating 20% of your cpu at all times

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

AntherUslessPoster posted:

You guys seriously need to be shown this pic

every time? What is this, reddit?

Oh good, it's only ironic homophobia, that's okay then :siren: /SARCASM :siren:

The Ape of Naples posted:

I don't care bout golf in real life but I feel like it should be a bigger video game...thing.
As well as mini golf.

I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_golf_video_games and it seems to have a lot of games :shrug: Golf for Workgroups looks like fun. It's multiplayer and you also get to screw around with the golf carts.

I remembered that I used to have Atari 2600 Miniature Golf, which apparently came out in 1978, the same as the oldest game on that Wikipedia list.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Packard-Bell, Hewlett-Packard, Philips, Nokia, Unisys, IBM, Commodore, Osborne, Olivetti, Siemens were the real PC brands when I were a lad.

Compaq? Amstrad? What the gently caress are those?
You bought a Compaq if you wanted Compatibility And Quality without shelling out for an IBM!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

tribbledirigible posted:

No brands, no masters.

*gasps*

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The Ape of Naples posted:

As well as mini golf.

Golf games like Links were pretty big in the 90s. The boomers game of choice on the office PC.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mario Golf 64 was the pinnacle of golf games

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Man, look at that smooth animation, stunning 3-D realism and crystal clear sound. The C64 remains the king of both game consoles and computers.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

macs are good if you have very specific software needs (ie Final Cut, Logic Pro) but unless you're getting one for those specific use cases you're massively overpaying for what you get

you can get a windows laptop with equivalent specs to a current MBP for literally half the price ($2k for mac vs $1k for windows) without having to go into "gamer laptop" bullshit

i've always been a PCS ARE SUPERIOR TO MACS, IDIOT guy until i tried doing stuff with midi

a mac Just Works and i can plug crap in and have it work immediately without farting around with asio for 3 and a half hours

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ASIO, now that's a name I've not heard since 2005

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

but as a brokeass, it frankly seems worth it just because you save like a thousand loving dollars buying an equivalent windows laptop compared to the mac. it's not really a brand loyalty thing for me, i'd happily buy a mac if they didn't charge insane prices or if i needed FCP or Logic for something; it's more a "holy loving poo poo that's a lot of money" thing.

yeah theyre just obscenely expensive and i dont get it any more than i get people who buy a brand new car instead of just a used one

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Last Chance posted:

Mario Golf 64 was the pinnacle of golf games

no man its GOLF for NES, the first one. thats the ultimate golf game.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

spaceblancmange posted:

Exactly! 30 something years on and "Looks like he... hit the tree, Jim." is still a catchphrase in my family.

Shibawanko posted:

no man its GOLF for NES, the first one. thats the ultimate golf game.

The correct answer is Desert Golfing, the only golf game that makes you aware of the futility of life.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Hal's Hole in one Golf for the SNES was perfection.

monolithburger posted:

Exactly! 30 something years on and "Looks like he... hit the tree, Jim." is still a catchphrase in my family.

Haha, same!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Switch sequel to Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf when

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
have you considered that <brand i like> is cool and good while <brand you like> is a cold plate of poo poo ?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Weatherman posted:

have you considered that <brand i like> is cool and good while <brand you like> is a cold plate of poo poo ?

Typical <brand i like> fanboi. Not recognising the superiority of <brand you like>.

You're basically Hitler.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

During the lockdowns I have slowly been building up a HIFI setup

Picked up this Pioneer PD-F605 25 disc player today. It works well other than the bottom door falls open as the return spring is missing and the VFD is very faint on it. I'll probably pull apart an old 3.5" floppy drive and steal its spring for the return. The VFD I don't know what to do there, might call a local electronics repairer and see if something can be fixed there or it just stays as it is.

The amp is a Yamaha A520, brought it from the original owner. I have my mum's old late 60s/early 70s JVC record player, but it needs some work as even though it has a new belt and stylus, it still wants to just skip all the way to the end of the record.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

Picked up this Pioneer PD-F605 25 disc player today. It works well other than the bottom door falls open as the return spring is missing and the VFD is very faint on it. I'll probably pull apart an old 3.5" floppy drive and steal its spring for the return. The VFD I don't know what to do there, might call a local electronics repairer and see if something can be fixed there or it just stays as it is.

The amp is a Yamaha A520, brought it from the original owner. I have my mum's old late 60s/early 70s JVC record player, but it needs some work as even though it has a new belt and stylus, it still wants to just skip all the way to the end of the record.

Those tone settings trigger me. I also know they probably sound fine.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

monolithburger posted:

The correct answer is Desert Golfing, the only golf game that makes you aware of the futility of life.
A sequel just came out! Golf on Mars, which adds a few simple mechanics and slight variety. It retains the overall feeling of Desert Golfing though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

am i correct in thinking that the current offering of laptops kind of suck? buying a decent laptop seems to be so much more expensive than it was 5 or 6 years ago. i have a lenovo g580 and it still functions okay and that i bought for roughly 400 euros in 2015, now im looking at 700 euros for what seems like similar performance and features

the laptops are also all really thin and light but i honestly dont really care about how light my laptop is as long as it isn't 8 kg and i can comfortably haul it around. did they sacrifice cost-performance in favor of light builds and macification?

ive looked into just refurbing my g580, if i buy a completely new shell and screen from aliexpress itll cost me roughly 160 euros, is this a sensible thing to do?

Laptops are a bit overpriced right now because when big corporates switched to home working at the start of the pandemic, companies were buying up laptops wherever they could find them and individuals were frantically trying to get them too whether to work from home themselves or to try and flip for profit, so the price got jacked up a bit by that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

You Am I posted:

I can just feel that image. Stereo equipment like that always has this unique tactile experience when touching it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I can just feel that image. Stereo equipment like that always has this unique tactile experience when touching it.

Usually because the grounding is leaking to the case at some bad connection. :)

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I miss detented pots.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

tribbledirigible posted:

No brands, no masters.

I'd like to get my hands on an old G3 Power Mac minitower just for nostalgia's sake.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

tribbledirigible posted:

No brands, no masters.

This is at least two brands.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

90s Solo Cup posted:

I'd like to get my hands on an old G3 Power Mac minitower just for nostalgia's sake.

Same so I can play Deus Ex.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aunt Beth posted:

You bought a Compaq if you wanted Compatibility And Quality without shelling out for an IBM!

Both cost thousands of marks so :shrug:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

FBS posted:

This is at least two brands.

What's more hipster: a Mac running Windows or a whitebox running MacOS?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weatherman posted:

What's more hipster: a Mac running Windows or a whitebox running MacOS?

Knowing what "whitebox" means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have fond memories of Microsoft Golf - it was slightly boring as a game, but even as a ten year old I found it kind of pretty and relaxing (and technically super impressive) - and there was something magical about messing a bit with a CD and a computer and actually getting a semi-3D interactive view of a real place.

Version 1 or 2 - the disc for 2 looks very familiar with its Multimedia Computer branding, but the videos of 1 look slightly more familiar. I guess I can grab images of both from the internet archive and compare. :)