Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Do NOT, however, when mixing melee and ranged, give one of the ranged pawns a grenade launcher. And that's why I still save scum.

There needs to be a relationship penalty for being killed by someone now that resurrection serums are a thing.

One of my better pawns has died three times from missed grenade launcher shots and it hasn't affected his relationship with the launcher pawn in the slightest. You'd think he'd be at least a little bit upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"No harm no foul eh Jim? Ha ha!" I say mopping up the slurry that was my old lower torso

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Danaru posted:

"No harm no foul eh Jim? Ha ha!" I say mopping up the slurry that was my old lower torso

in my head it always kinda went down like that one Gargoyles episode

"i think i'll keep this as a souvenir. not everyone can reclaim their head after losing it."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks for your replies. I want to play "Old Rimworld" as in 1.0 and before, where my mods like Religion, Androids, Prepare Carefully, Snap Out! and Pick up and Haul work, but when I run the 1.0 beta (on which these used to work!?) it crashes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tias posted:

Thanks for your replies. I want to play "Old Rimworld" as in 1.0 and before, where my mods like Religion, Androids, Prepare Carefully, Snap Out! and Pick up and Haul work, but when I run the 1.0 beta (on which these used to work!?) it crashes.

IIRC Steam supports older versions of games via the Beta tab, but mods aren't version controlled in any way - if the latest version of a mod uses some feature or function call from 1.1 that wasn't available in 1.0, then the mod won't work in 1.0.

Some modders leave up older versions of mods that you can hunt down, sometimes even in the steam workshop as a separately-listed item, but ymmv

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tias posted:

Um all of those mods have a working 1.1 version? Heck, I use like three quarters of them in my Royalty game with no issue...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they aren't working and you're running an old version, that's likely because they updated. If they aren't working and you're running a new version, that's likely because they forked a new version and left the old version up for people running old versions of the game. The workshop page probably has a link or there may be a new version updated by someone else if you search.

One of the additions in 1.1 was the ability to include multiple versions of a mod in one package, so many 1.1 mods will also include 1.0 versions.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I think my favorite thing about Rimworld is when your pet gets a minor scratch from killing an ostrich and then proceeds to bleed profusely on literally everything within a square mile for 18 hours straight while you are completely incapable of stopping it and just follow behind it cleaning it up until it's minor scratch turns into severely bleeding out and finally it collapses allowing your AI to actually tend to it so it stops bleeding on everything and also doesn't die.

Can someone please tell me the presumably easy way to avoid this absolute gently caress-you scenario?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jelly posted:

I think my favorite thing about Rimworld is when your pet gets a minor scratch from killing an ostrich and then proceeds to bleed profusely on literally everything within a square mile for 18 hours straight while you are completely incapable of stopping it and just follow behind it cleaning it up until it's minor scratch turns into severely bleeding out and finally it collapses allowing your AI to actually tend to it so it stops bleeding on everything and also doesn't die.

Can someone please tell me the presumably easy way to avoid this absolute gently caress-you scenario?

Try scheduling your pet for an operation (something harmless like anesthetic) so it returns to its bed, then pause, cancel the operation, and manually set a colonist to treating it.

Agent Break
May 14, 2009

Jelly posted:

I'm running a lot of mods, and always have, so I'm not sure of the universal applicability of this, but I think if you have a sleeping spot assigned to that animal, it will go there when it is injured

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Thank you both for your recommendations. I did not have a sleeping spot assigned so it is likely both options will work!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Jelly posted:

Thank you both for your recommendations. I did not have a sleeping spot assigned so it is likely both options will work!

Build your furry friends beds you monster

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
You can always just melee the animal in question. Shotgun to the face works too, survival of the fittest. :black101:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

That Guy Bob posted:

You can always just melee the animal in question. Shotgun to the face works too, survival of the fittest. :black101:

That Guy Bob Killed Colony Animal -5

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jelly posted:

The Animals Logic mod lets you go one step further and designate animal beds as medical beds, so you can put a designated animal bed in your hospital (where tending is less likely to infect and surgery more likely to succeed)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jelly posted:

It's helpful to have a designated animal sleeping area to help with food distribution too, so they eat kibble instead of something else

E.g. Create a room, put sleeping spots for your animals in there, put a stockpile zone that only accepts Kibble with Critical priority by the door

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 1, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

It's helpful to have a designated animal sleeping area to help with food distribution too, so they eat kibble instead of something else

E.g. Create a room, put sleeping spots for your animals in there, put a stockpile zone that only accepts Kibble with Critical priority by the door

Do they still only do direct line proximity to food such that if the fridge is on the other side of their wall there’s a chance your kibble zone is “too far” and they sprint down hallways to eat fridge food?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do they still only do direct line proximity to food such that if the fridge is on the other side of their wall there’s a chance your kibble zone is “too far” and they sprint down hallways to eat fridge food?

I don't know but kibble doesn't need refrigeration so it can be literally next to their beds, which is neat

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Or zone your base so the cooked meals, raw meat, etc. are out of bounds for animals. And keep a deep freezer with post-autopsy raider corpses in bounds for animals to eat up before kibble. (We all commit atrocities in our own ways.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There was this mod that let you set meals for pets and even had priorities but I don't think it ever got updated. Shame cause you could set them to eat corpses first or hay, it was great.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leal posted:

There was this mod that let you set meals for pets and even had priorities but I don't think it ever got updated. Shame cause you could set them to eat corpses first or hay, it was great.

Haven't tried it but I think you could theoretically sorta achieve this using Stockpile Ranking to create a feeding-zone that preferentially stores certain type(s) of food, and Quantum Storage to pull from storage that animals can't access, so it doesn't require a bunch of labor/clicking/effort for continuously reorganizing kibble/hay/corpse/paste piles based on available resources.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

Slight downside is that anyone with a brain boosting chip also gets brain bad when a solar flare hits :v:

they get... brain bad?

what exactly is "brain bad"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It’s just a penalty to conscience, but due to the way the penalties and bonuses stack it can be pretty brutal. Nothing permanent but not nice to have drop on you during a fight say.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Did someone say anime catgirl cyborg ninjas?

Not really catgirls and definitely not ninjas because of the movement penalty.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've added every other anime race I could find, but at least this one is going to be a boon to my MedSci department :toot:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Moon Slayer posted:

Did someone say anime catgirl cyborg ninjas?

Not really catgirls and definitely not ninjas because of the movement penalty.

Slim human feline hybrids and their traits are that they are slower, less agile and bigger than regular humans?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Danaru posted:

I've added every other anime race I could find, but at least this one is going to be a boon to my MedSci department :toot:

Let me know if it breaks saves.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Katt posted:

Slim human feline hybrids and their traits are that they are slower, less agile and bigger than regular humans?

Thats some dense jelly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

they get... brain bad?

what exactly is "brain bad"

Opposite of brain good, obviously :v:

But yeah, consciousness penalty, same as androids. Though personally I would have thought induced current in your brain meats would be more unpleasant than just making you a bit groggy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OwlFancier posted:

Opposite of brain good, obviously :v:

But yeah, consciousness penalty, same as androids. Though personally I would have thought induced current in your brain meats would be more unpleasant than just making you a bit groggy.

Presumably the tech is advanced enough that you get a sort of "safe mode" trigger that shuts down the implant the same way that EMP grenades don't cause permanent damage to mechanical targets. Also presumably the shock of having part of your brain disconnected and thus no longer having access to those functions makes it harder to get things done since you now have to reroute that through normal brain tissue that hasn't been tasked with taking the full load for a while.

Can also think of it as the difference of being used to being able to call up an overlay with wind conditions, local terrain, project movements, etc. when lining up a shot, and then suddenly having to go without all of the extra augmented reality data that your implants were feeding you. The reflexes might be fine, but it's like an amputee trying to use their missing arm to catch a ball.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah my thought is that if you grow so accustomed to the help it gives you, you'd slow down trying to do things with just your OEM meat brain.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh my god the ratkin caravans use giant hamsters as pack animals. :3:

e:

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 2, 2020

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Animu animal girl mod or not, the ratkin mod is surprisingly... good? They're arguably underpowered (being small, weak, having limited carrying capacity, etc) but can make equipment to compensate for it, and while it adds some tech and weapon options it's mostly early/mid-tier stuff. Also, the giant hamsters.

Katt posted:

I think they're supposed to be just alien-like and not cat. Looking at it they're more like lizards with antennae or something, but almost all the descriptions in it are still in Korean so it's hard to tell. :shrug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess I should get around to trying out the Ratkin mod, though I'd have used capybaras as mounts myself

edit: I was playing around with creating a Ratkin starting group and I noticed that they have a small chance of being male, which I wasn't sure was a bug or not since the males didn't seem any different from the females.

I looked in the files and saw they have a 10% chance of being male, with their own name list, but many of their names wouldn't be out of place on the female list. Also they use the same art as far as I can tell.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 3, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

trade beacons are the worst mechanic ever, what the gently caress is this poo poo?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Animals will eat the first "edible" nearby thing when they are hungry, don't keep your beer, lucerfum, other drugs, and valuable food anywhere near they travel if you don't want them to eat it, which is why for most of my colonies I don't have animals. The general exception being that I need them for distraction/meatshields.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

QuarkJets posted:

trade beacons are the worst mechanic ever, what the gently caress is this poo poo?

???

It's a little doodad you put down near the stuff you want to trade with orbital traders that is completely passive beyond taking a trivial amount of power to run. What exactly is wrong with them?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they engender a logistics problem that otherwise wouldn't exist

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SugarAddict posted:

Animals will eat the first "edible" nearby thing when they are hungry, don't keep your beer, lucerfum, other drugs, and valuable food anywhere near they travel if you don't want them to eat it, which is why for most of my colonies I don't have animals. The general exception being that I need them for distraction/meatshields.

Just create an area covering your crops and other areas you don't want them, invert it and apply to your animals? Seems to work fine for me and they go forage everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

they engender a logistics problem that otherwise wouldn't exist

Ackshually they should probably expand it that you need transport pods before you can trade orbitally