Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Unormal posted:

[*]Added a new status effect, Wakeful, that gets applied for 3-5 rounds after you wake up from involuntary sleep. While wakeful, you can't fall asleep.

Thank gently caress. Do something similar for any chain CC condition and I love you, Confusion is awful.

Are there any other items besides the vine mask that protect from gas? I've never seen a 'real' gasmask.

Also I don't know what causes it, but apparently some items and actions consume turn energy or time or whatever - I was killed with no chance to do anything in response by both picking up items and by tinkering in my inventory, and I think eating some items like the healing plant does so as well.

edit: Megabad page snipe, reposting full patch notes

Unormal posted:

• Trolls now know how to swim.
  • Clicking a tile with a hostile creature now attacks the creature instead of attempting to speak with it.
  • Gave rainboweave cloaks lower DV but a chance to refract light-based attacks.
  • Added a new status effect, Wakeful, that gets applied for 3-5 rounds after you wake up from involuntary sleep. While wakeful, you can't fall asleep.
  • Item naming now allows apostrophes.
  • Baetyls no longer request the Billowing Conch of the Aji.
  • Long blade stances now respect your restrictions on companion ability use.
  • En garde! now takes Lunge and Swipe off cooldown when it activates.
  • You no longer have the option to decline being moved by a factory arm into a deep shaft.
  • Penetrating radar now reveals hidden objects that can be discovered by searching.
  • Messages for spotting hidden objects now include directional information.
  • Missing skill prereqs now cause entries on the Skills screen to be grayed out, like they are for unmet attribute requirements.
  • Pathfinding now goes to much less effort to avoid many types of liquids and some types of gases.
  • Skills that require a weapon of a given type to be wielded in the primary hand now accept weapons wielded in the first hand if your primary limb is not a hand, such as for animals whose primary limb is often their face or foot.
  • Fixed a bug that caused hyper-elastic ankle tendons' behavior to be excluded from their description.
  • Fixed a bug with stacking that resulted in permanent MA / DV loss.
  • Fixed a bug that caused suspensors to not work properly on equipped items.
  • Fixed a bug that caused ceremonial vibrokhopeshes to repeatedly reboot while you travelled on the world map.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes made it impossible to interact with companions.
  • Fixed some bugs that caused various types of cloned creatures to not be hostile when they should have been.
  • Fixed some bugs that disabled the escape teleportation used by some relics, extradimensional items, and chaotic cherubim.
  • Fixed a bug that caused books to be unreadable from the prerelease equipment screen.
  • Fixed a misattribution in Lase messaging.
  • Fixed a typo in sultan history.
  • Fixed a bug that made Saad Amus very lazy.
  • [modding] Liquids' ObjectEnteredCell method now receives the relevant ObjectEnteredCellEvent as its second argument. The version that receives the GameObject moving as its second argument is still called for compatibility.
  • [modding] WishCommands should now properly be loaded/unloaded with mod changes.

201.6 - beta

• Creatures that try to keep their distance from you now may now decide to take other actions, such as defend themselves directly, when they fall below 50% HP.
  • Evil twins now reconsider their equipped items when they spawn.
  • Stage layouts wider than 1080p now letterbox correctly.
  • The look dialog is now only dismissble via Space or Esc.
  • Mouse movement now paths through non-hostiles if necessary to reach your destination.
  • Rhinox charge now respects phase and flight.
  • Fixed a bug that caused books to be unreadable from the prerelease equipment screen.
  • Fixed a bug that caused books to continue to render in the background even after you exited out of the read book screen.
  • Fixed a bug where hitting Esc from the Save Build prompt would save the build with no name rather than backing out of the menu.
  • Fixed the "restore defaults" button on the prerelease control mapping screen improperly clearing all keybinds.
  • [modding] Added native support for Harmony 2.0.2 patches in mods (https://github.com/pardeike/Harmony). harmony.PatchAll() is called after mod assembly compilation, applying all mod-defined harmony patches.
  • [modding] Upgraded the C# compiler to Roslyn.
  • [modding] Errors and warnings generated by the mod compiler now include the associated filename and line number.
  • [modding] The "playerwho" wish now properly allows turns to tick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Unormal posted:

• You no longer have the option to decline being moved by a factory arm into a deep shaft.

Bartleby of Qud

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DebonaireD posted:

I've killed one! Killing it wasn't the hard part so much as making one actually come about - you've got to lure a sludge through 10 different liquid types without getting killed or getting it killed by accident, the latter happened to me a couple of times when I got it to octo or nonasludge status. You're gonna be luring it across multiple screens, so high end movement options are important and the order of liquids you take it through can make things more or less difficult for you. You could maybe set up a trail of your own liquids to get it to transform faster and keep from being overwhelmed by a huge swarm of sludges, but I haven't tried that. Definitely only recommended for the most endgame of endgame characters, and I had to use the mass mind/ego projection pump to keep myself alive.

It's easy if you collect liquids ahead of time in different containers, equip some form of permanent flight (their 'fling goo' attack just creates a pool of whatever which doesn't affect you if you're flying, and they can't melee you unless you land...) and then just kite one sludge around and feed it liquids that won't instakill it. (magmasludges die when they get cold, several other fluids lower temperature too much, etc)

Also you can proseltyize a low-tier sludge and then upgrade it to an unstoppable monster since they get faster and stronger with each upgrade except (unless it was a bug) once you get a sludge to +20 it instantly dies the next time it touches liquid, or attacks anything.

e: also I guess high-level sludges give tons of exp so if you want to scum for ridiculously high levels that's one way to do it, and slightly more exciting than waiting for book vendors to restock.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 1, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

emptyquoting this deep cut reference

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Unormal posted:

[list]
[*]Penetrating radar now reveals hidden objects that can be discovered by searching.
[*]Messages for spotting hidden objects now include directional information.

Wait, searching is a mechanic?

I feel very dumb

edit:

victrix posted:

Are there any other items besides the vine mask that protect from gas? I've never seen a 'real' gasmask.

There is an actual gas mask, its just quite rare.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 1, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

victrix posted:

Also I don't know what causes it, but apparently some items and actions consume turn energy or time or whatever - I was killed with no chance to do anything in response by both picking up items and by tinkering in my inventory, and I think eating some items like the healing plant does so as well.

Waait, picking up items isn't supposed to consume time/energy? I just picked up this game the other day and had my first promising run ended by a chaingun turret on the bottom level of the rusted archway, and I assumed that it was, and if I hadn't auto-picked up the contents of the last victim's corpse I might have been able to at least close range before getting ventilated. If that wasn't what got me killed I need to rethink how to deal with them (especially as a melee character who presumably isn't going to outshoot the thing).

Does Rebuke Robot work on turrets?

edit: it does, but you have to be adjacent. Welp!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I honestly have no idea, but that mechanic or whatever it is killed several of my late game characters. The last one was bad enough to piss me off to go play some other games for awhile :v:

(I think I just need to accept that trying to play Qud as a pure roguelike with permadeath on is just a bad and dumb idea and I should just disable it and cancel the death if it's clearly some random bug/bullshit, but of course instead of doing that logical thing I'll be huffy and take a break, a more mature response)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Quick question: I just found a village that wanted me to open some special randomly-generated door for a quest. I found the door, but some campfire remains spawned on the same tile, so I can't close the door in order to open it. What's the best way to remove or destroy the campfire without also destroying the door?

vvvv nope, doing that attacks the door first

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 1, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can't you force attack the square? ctrl-move.

unless the door's spawned on top in which case, welp

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unormal posted:

• Trolls now know how to swim.

horrible change, completely violates the canon of the three billy goats gruff

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Can you ctrl+space that direction and interact with the door on its own? I have no idea about this second option but I wonder if pouring lava on the square would destroy the campfire remains first (but either way that is a very Quddish solution)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

anime tupac posted:

Can you ctrl+space that direction and interact with the door on its own? I have no idea about this second option but I wonder if pouring lava on the square would destroy the campfire remains first (but either way that is a very Quddish solution)

I can, but if I try to close the door it says the campfire remains are in the way. I also tried using some grenades in hopes they would destroy the campfire before the door but it seems like they'll either break both or neither.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

horrible change, completely violates the canon of the three billy goats gruff

see this is a complaint i can respect

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

I can, but if I try to close the door it says the campfire remains are in the way. I also tried using some grenades in hopes they would destroy the campfire before the door but it seems like they'll either break both or neither.

holy poo poo wait

nano-neuro animator or spray-a-brain the door, then politely invite it to move out of the way

edit: hmm I'm not sure if it would be closeable/openable though

e2: tested it, seems to work!

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 1, 2020

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

anime tupac posted:

nano-neuro animator or spray-a-brain the door, then politely invite it to move out of the way

Qud :allears:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

anime tupac posted:

New thread title?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

anime tupac posted:

holy poo poo wait

edit: hmm I'm not sure if it would be closeable/openable though

e2: tested it, seems to work!

This is definitely the best and most practical solution to finding some burnt logs in a doorway. I don't have either of those but I'll keep an eye out.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 1, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
burn logs?

u could also throw a space time vortex on the door/campfire and jump in as well in a desperate hope to end up in the same time

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 1, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

feature request: in-game forestry reports

Elbo
Oct 9, 2012
What are some rules of thumb for AV and DV? I read something earlier in the thread I think that 1 AV is worth 2-3 DV but is that still true if I end up with 0 DV?

Also the entry area of the stilt this game has a snailmother summoning hostile ickslugs, and one of the npcs keeps casting burgeoning at them so half the map is filled with plants. The second time I visited there were about 40 tumbling pods that all exploded two turns after I entered and killed like 5 npcs including the Resheph secret guy. I got 8 free rough agate gemstones and 2 vials of convalessence from the aftermath.

Elbo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 2, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Elbo posted:

What are some rules of thumb for AV and DV? I read something earlier in the thread I think that 1 AV is worth 2-3 DV but is that still true if I end up with 0 DV?

I don't think that "1 AV = 2-3 DV" thing is at all true to begin with. Most of the 1:1 AV for DV trade armors are a terrible deal.

The key thing to remember is that AV and DV both have a point beyond which they do little to nothing. For DV that's a really big number (basically enemy's to-hit bonus plus 19) while for AV it can be surprisingly low.

For example most of the starter zone enemies simply cannot penetrate the armor of a 6 AV target except on a crit / exploding dice situation.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 2, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i remember havin a ton of armor and getting my head stove in one time and just being like :stare:

also this slime talk has me curious. Obviously we're all familiar with da regular green boys but after that I wanna say i know oozes and what ever other other colored slimes are in Golgotha. After that is the gelatinous wedge. Are these the evolutions that you guys are talking about?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

verbal enema posted:

also this slime talk has me curious. Obviously we're all familiar with da regular green boys but after that I wanna say i know oozes and what ever other other colored slimes are in Golgotha. After that is the gelatinous wedge. Are these the evolutions that you guys are talking about?

There's a mega awful place later in the main story or you can visit it early in the southeast of the map, the rainbow wood. It's filled with primordial soup that mixes with weeps of many liquid types, which constantly generates oozes. If they move through more than one liquid, they combine. Some of them can confuse, or disarm, or burn, or other bad things. I generally go in there with some mobility tool, do the quest thing and gtfo, but if you want THE CHEEVOS, you can intentionally kite them around and combine them into megaslimes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hell yeah

Elbo
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think that "1 AV = 2-3 DV" thing is at all true to begin with. Most of the 1:1 AV for DV trade armors are a terrible deal.

The key thing to remember is that AV and DV both have a point beyond which they do little to nothing. For DV that's a really big number (basically enemy's to-hit bonus plus 19) while for AV it can be surprisingly low.

For example most of the starter zone enemies simply cannot penetrate the armor of a 6 AV target except on a crit / exploding dice situation.

Ok I probably just misunderstood whatever I read, this helps

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anyone used a sludge to produce more cloning draught? I know it's theoretical possible

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Elbo posted:

Best shorthand explanation I've seen is that 2 pen is +1 dice of damage, 2 AV is -1 dice of damage, in general, due to the way the penetration roll operates.

If you can hit certain AV values in the early/midgame, you can ignore a hell of a lot of enemies because they simply can't penetrate without a lucky hit.

One other thing, the elemental mods ignore AV, as long as you hit, they'll deal damage, so they're better than they look at a glance since the damage values seem so low (now I'm wondering if an elemental short blades build might be a thing :thunk:)

Explosives also totally ignore AV, which is why I usually avoid Jungles early, gently caress Goatfolk. Rocket turrets are no bueno.

Another AV vs DV bit is there are a lot of mechanics that will straight up shut off your DV, so if you're a dodgy boi with no AV, you can get splatted by those mechanics pretty harshly.

That said I've had really good luck with focusing on DV through the midgame (or at least, not totally tanking it), if you can get north of 15DV earlyish you do evade a shitload of incoming hits and as long as your AV isn't total trash you'll be ok until you can slip into the mid/lategame armor (early-late here defined as main story progress, I don't generally bother with endless cave diving or deathlands roaming, I see if a build can get through the story and then die or move on to the next one - golg at 12-18, susa at 18-24, tombs usually ends at 24-30).

Tohit is just +/-5% per point. opposing enemy DV (unless their DV is stratospheric, in which case it won't help and uh, throw a grenade or stun/immobilize them somehow, or use mutations that don't care about DV).

There's a few backgrounds (Horticulturalist truekin?) that start with items that'll let you see precise enemy stats, and some you can find or buy, if you're trying to get a feel for the various enemies, it does help to do a few runs with those active (it's useful to learn what's a huge AV tank with crap hp so you can just blow them up or cheese them some other way instead of trying to impossibly pen their AV).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Snake Maze posted:

This is definitely the best and most practical solution to finding some burnt logs in a doorway. I don't have either of those but I'll keep an eye out.

Update: I was able to craft a spray-a-brain, animate the door, swap places with it, then close and open it, successfully completing the quest. :toot:

The newly animate door was then instantly killed by wild dogs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Elbo posted:

It's not you -- I've seen someone say those exact words on the Discord server and I wouldn't be surprised if they posted here, I just disagree with them. :v:

I usually aim for double-digit values in both AV and DV by the time I'm doing the later stages of the main quest, favoring AV slightly over DV but, like, in between a 1:1 and 2:1 ratio usually.

This is much easier than it used to be since the addition of high-tier crysteel / flawless crysteel / zetachrome armor for your hands, feet, and head; back in the day your torso armor was the only way to get large amounts of AV without crippling DV penalties, but now there are much more equitable trade-offs and eventually 4/0 (zetachrome) options at the extreme high end.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 2, 2020

Elbo
Oct 9, 2012

victrix posted:

There's a few backgrounds (Horticulturalist truekin?) that start with items that'll let you see precise enemy stats, and some you can find or buy, if you're trying to get a feel for the various enemies, it does help to do a few runs with those active (it's useful to learn what's a huge AV tank with crap hp so you can just blow them up or cheese them some other way instead of trying to impossibly pen their AV).

That's a good idea I should do that.

Ok time for Yet Another Glotrot Question. The canteen should give some indication of being on fire right? I tried having a dawnglider shoot across the canteen, shoot me while I stood on top of it, threw a thermal grenade at it. It always remains "Perfect" and non-flaming.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Campfire, drop on campfire

Elbo
Oct 9, 2012
That sounds a lot easier. I'll be sure to try that next time because unfortunately I let myself burn to death standing on top of it :v:

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

Update: I was able to craft a spray-a-brain, animate the door, swap places with it, then close and open it, successfully completing the quest. :toot:

The newly animate door was then instantly killed by wild dogs.

lmao but I have to clarify that I mean this literally: I lmaoed, in real life

PBUH, your dead door, whatever hir gender

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

I love this ridiculous idiot game and all of the crazy nonsense it invites

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Doors have never had good rep with dogs

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Everything about newly sentients beings is hilarious: You breathing life into some poor wall just so you can ask them to step a bit to the left and because they're a faction you've got that wall thinking "yeah I've only been alive for 5 seconds but I got a good feeling about this guy"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

welp

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Xand_Man posted:

Anyone used a sludge to produce more cloning draught? I know it's theoretical possible

Any clue how much it would take to actually make a morphable puddle? My last end game run was fooling around with desalinating used cloning draught to no avail, so that doesn't bode too well for the cause.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

I'm going to assume Ualraig spawned hated by Amphibians or something??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 28, 2003

Sometimes Mehmet spawns hated by wardens.