Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha what do you think Bowsette smells like LOL
This poll is closed.
Lilac 12 3.96%
Gooseberries 8 2.64%
Turtle soup 11 3.63%
Your favourite Doritos flavor (please specify) 14 4.62%
Gamer girl bath water 54 17.82%
Stop it 158 52.15%
A Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza (Pepperoni) 33 10.89%
get stick bugged lol 12 3.96%
tomato pizza 1 0.33%
Total: 303 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Post your pizza pics!

Notable August Releases:

Fast & Furious Crossroads [PC, PS4, XBO] – August 7

A Total War Saga: Troy [PC] – August 13

Microsoft Flight Simulator [PC] – August 18

Wasteland 3 [PC, PS4, XBO] – August 28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

August sucks

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
that is a lazy thread title

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLr5hGuNcTs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

August!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GNegZbpfxA

My next pizza will probably be next week, probably making them multiple days in a row is probably bad for me

The sketch for it will be making some kind of alfredo sauce, possibly infused with rosemary since I got some of that in the store

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 1, 2020

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

August!! We are still all dying.

Fae Tactics dropped and it's a nicely put together package but it feels early access, stuff like the world map being completely undeveloped etc, plus the lack of depth kinda turned me off. I know it was never going to be as deep as FFT but I think it leant too far in the other direction.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

August!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GNegZbpfxA

My next pizza will probably be next week, probably making them multiple days in a row is probably bad for me

I, too, shall be venturing back into the world of pizza this week. Godspeed, comrade!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
AUGUST is AUG month, install your best cybernetics folks because this is the month to show off your rad body mods.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I played some of it since it was in one of the Humble Monthlies, has cute art but I dunno how fun the combat would actually be as you keep going also the story seems like what? The subtitle "The girl who destroyed the world or whatever" is hilarious

I kinda want to play Othercide, especially since a reviewer called it "Evanescence Tactics"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHgFpd5o_3c

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

'Notable' August Releases:

quote:

Fast & Furious Crossroads [PC, PS4, XBO] – August 7

:thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-S7fexxCx0

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

animal forest early build

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Whoops, accidentally posted in the old thread, so new thread repost:

What's the consensus on Origami King? Most complaints I see are "it's too easy/it's not an RPG". While that's fair criticism, the game looks so absolutely heart-squeezingly charming that I still kinda want to get it anyway. Only real question if it's worth $60, though Nintendo games never really go on sale.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

no thank you

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh shoot I was just gonna straight up quote you from the old thread but this is easier I guess

Codeacious posted:

Whoops, accidentally posted in the old thread, so new thread repost:

What's the consensus on Origami King? Most complaints I see are "it's too easy/it's not an RPG". While that's fair criticism, the game looks so absolutely heart-squeezingly charming that I still kinda want to get it anyway. Only real question if it's worth $60, though Nintendo games never really go on sale.

The game is absolutely not an rpg and that's not a problem imo. It's more of a puzzle game and while it starts braindead easy (you seriously do 2 tutorials for the basic combat) it gets much better over time. You absolutely will run into some puzzlers.

Plus the plot and dialogue are fantastic, the game's gorgeous, and it's got a massive (and excellent) soundtrack. Games well worth it imo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

oddium posted:

Heavy Black pugs & Polyester Girl era vibes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
loving shameless. MSI PR intimidating/sweet-talking/bribing smaller youtubers critical of their products. This is the sort of thing I'm always afraid of from creators without some larger backing. But I didn't imagine it was this blatant. Idk how much this sort of thing extends to the software side of things, but I suspect it happens there too. We know relationships with PR can get cushy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BXwCJtaZE

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm playing the Fall Guys beta and it's very fun, except for the Tail Grab minigame in all its variations which when played from Australia results in my tail being stolen by telekinetic jellybeans who are 5 meters away from me facing in the other direction

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Andrast posted:

August sucks

august is my birthday month, you take that back right now

edit: hang on, i forgot that as i grow old each birthday is just another depressing reminder of my mortality

so yes, august does suck

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 1, 2020

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
You get the same amount older on your birthday as any other day

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Codeacious posted:

Good thought, I haven't checked that out yet. It's a shame cause I really like Apex's gunplay but perhaps Warzone will do me good.

People say it's not an RPG, but honestly, I think it is, you buy gear and stuff, you get allies, and there's bosses and a turn based combat system. I think it's just as much as an RPG as an Old school Final Fantasy, but maybe I'm being too generous with the definition? Either way it oozes charm, and both the boss battles, and the basic combat is extremely fun, and I have real trouble solving the combat in one turn, which means I tend to use healing items and combat items more. I'm currently approaching the Water Velumental and the game is really pretty, finding toads scratches my collectathon itch, and it reminds me of BotW koroks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You play the role of Mario

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im actually going to post in this thread this time

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Codeacious posted:

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1289449197343629312

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also Snif City is a loving banger of a track.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cuntman.net posted:

im actually going to post in this thread this time

i'm making this a mod challenge for you this time

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:froggonk:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Being told by Kim Katauragi, “Okay, just go ahead and be weird when talking to this next witness, I’d like her to be off-balance”, it’s like being handed the keys to a spiffy new bulldozer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mods please add Bowsette to the poll.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
New month, new Wizard101 post

We're adventuring around in Grizzleheim and this Grendel wizard agreed to help us but only if we got a bear to break off his claw.

That's kinda metal.

Then the Grendel wizard wanted us to find some ingredients for them to make a salve so that we could unseal a magic barrier to a crypt.

One of the ingredients was troll goo.

Gross.

e: also, the game can't decide if Egil is pronounced E-Jill, E-Gill, or Eh-Gill.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What was this about a naughty dog expert butt sculptor

I mean I guess drake's is ok

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How close are you to the endgame

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How close are you to the endgame

Me, or someone else? If not my, my apologies.

Because we still haven't finished the first arc yet, there are 3 arcs at the moment with possibly a 4th in the works what with the upcoming everything-is-made-of-candy-and-baked-goods world.

Grizzleheim is a weird area progression-wise since you unlock it at level 20 but I guess the different areas in it unlock as you progress through the main quest and hit certain levels. I don't know how far into it we can go at the moment, I just know that the stuff we're doing right now is the 2nd part of Grizzleheim and Grizzleheim's main hub extends off in at least 6 directions. I don't know how the content is spread out level-wise.

When we finished up Wysteria, we realized that the Wysteria content with the magic tournament arc was something we were meant to do earlier so we kinda steamrolled it, but that's fine. It was a relatively small area with a small sideplot that more or less amounted to "Here is a very rich and ritzy school, they've won the tournament and held onto the Spiral Cup for several years now, though in actuality this is just a big scam school with high noted high tuition, low educational standards, a major lack of actual magical teachings, and they've only held onto the Spiral Cup because they invented the tournament and other magic schools just stopped bothering to show up for tournaments due to it not being worth the time to participate. Also the person who built the academy did so using his inheritance solely because he got kicked out of Ravenwood Academy and he wanted to make his own school to compete and scam people."

There was still one tower that we never went to in Wysteria though and I looked it up and it is some late game quest thing. We unlocked Barkingham Palace at level 40 and we decided to try that content but that area is kinda hard for the level you unlock it at and while the promise of getting to meet Mycroft Bones is interesting and the fact that I fought an English dog version of Bill the Butcher for some reason was pretty neat, we're definitely not up for taking that place on yet.

e: we're currently level 46 or 47 I think and the level cap is 110 but is going to be expanded to 130 at some point in the near future. The next plot area, Dragonspyre, has us scrambling after the first arc's antagonist but I don't know if we're going to be confronting him here or if that'll be in the next area, Celestia.

Then we've still got the second tournament arc to go through as well, Aquila, where we go participate in the Immortal Games which are just one big excuse for wizards to get together and climb Mount Olympus, dive into Atlantea, and traverse Tartarus so that they can kick the asses of as many Olympian Gods and Goddesses as possible, largely for Zeus's entertainment.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 1, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh so everything is still in the first arc? Like the ancient Egypt world and the victorian England world are part of the same deal

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wait, how much content does that game have? :psyduck:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
You forgot Horizon Zero Dawn is coming out on PC August the 7th and it is my fourth favourite game ever of all time and I will be doing another playthough on PC :D

May 8, 2006

nice job completing the mod challenge!!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

You forgot Horizon Zero Dawn is coming out on PC August the 7th and it is my fourth favourite game ever of all time and I will be doing another playthough on PC :D

Countdown to Thomas the Tank engine mod :v:

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Rinkles posted:

loving shameless. MSI PR intimidating/sweet-talking/bribing smaller youtubers critical of their products. This is the sort of thing I'm always afraid of from creators without some larger backing. But I didn't imagine it was this blatant. Idk how much this sort of thing extends to the software side of things, but I suspect it happens there too. We know relationships with PR can get cushy.

Speaking solely for the gaming industry, it's as bad if not worse. I've heard of higher-ups in publishing sayin, during all-team meetings, things like "Eurogamer doesn't get review copies from us anymore, they've given us bad scores too many times." Apparently he next went on to complain about big-name youtubers asking for too much money do do reviews, first looks, and previews...
So yeah I'm not surprised. You need to keep mfgs happy to get preview hardware, and they don't want reviews, they want free publicity and advertising.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh so everything is still in the first arc? Like the ancient Egypt world and the victorian England world are part of the same deal

Yes!

The plot progression so far has been:

World 1: Wizard City
Headmaster Merle Ambrose of Ravenwood Academy uses a portal to bring a human from Earth to the world of Wizard101 so that they may enroll in classes and also because Ambrose is familiar with a prophecy that basically states that the human will save everybody and everything. Malistaire, the professor of the Death School of Magic in Ravenwood, had lost his wife to a cold so horrible that not even magic could stop it or save her and she is forever dead. In anger, he destroyed his own school, allowing it to fall down into another area of Wizard City where it remained hidden and lost for a while. Malistaire decided he would try to find a way to revive his wife but to do so, he'd need to do research, so he started looking through the academy's books in search of information. To keep everyone distracted, he also raised a fuckton of undead and set them loose across the many streets of Wizard City. To make matters worse, at least 2 other professors did stupid poo poo that resulted in problems in Wizard City that didn't even require Malistaire's involvement. Cyrus Drake, Malistaire's brother and the professor of the Myth School of Magic, decided to summon a bunch of cyclops warriors and trolls to act as guards in Cyclops Lane, to defend against the oncoming undead, except these guys just decided to take over Cyclops Lane instead and Cyrus is a prick who is clearly meant to be evocative of Professor Snape. The Ice School of Magic professor, Lydia Greyrose, had meanwhile accidentally brought a bunch of Gobblers to Colossus Boulevard. The player had to solve all of these problems and once that was all fixed up, the player is finally allowed to go after Malistaire.

World 2: Krokotopia
Malistaire went to Krokotopia in search of the Krokonomicon. As it turned out, the Marleybonians had sent expedition teams to Krokotopia with the intent of digging up and taking any artifacts they could find. In the process, they disturbed the Great Sleep, a magically induced period of slumber of the Kroks. As a result, the Kroks were now coming out and attempting to retake control. The player has to journey through the Pyramid in order to discover why there are undead as well and that Malistaire has been hauling rear end through a few locations trying to find the Krokonomicon. The player has to save the archaeologist teams and the manders, the original natives to the land of Krokotopia before their initial enslavement, and the player eventually moves on to the Krokosphinx where they search for the members of a secret society of Kroks who have the goal of trying to maintain peace and prevent Krokopatra from ever getting power again. As it turns out, this secret society had written the Krokonomicon and only after that did they realize what a mistake they had made and so eventually they had worked together to cast the Great Sleep and put a pause to the crimes that Krokhotep and Krokopatra and their followers and slaves and armies had done. Once the player gathers the 3 gold scarab beetles, they can travel to the Temple of Storms which is the burial place of and home to Krokopatra. However, Krokopatra doesn't actually have the Krokonomicon, she had it in a sarcophagus that the Marleybonian expedition team had taken as a display piece for their museum.

World 3: Marleybone
The head of the museum won't actually let the player have the Krokonomicon because they believe that the museum is the safest place for it. They stress the fact that the museum has a very powerful anti-magic field on it and so no wizard could ever attack the place. In addition, the O'Leary gang has become a lot more active recently. They are a gang of cats and rats whose origins lead back to the losing side of the Marleybonian Civil War. The losing side, the cats, maintained loyalty to their cause and to their leader, Robert E. Leary, and believed that they would one day be able to take over Marleybone. Until then, they eventually just became a major crime syndicate. It turns out that they've been so active and giving the police so much trouble as a cover for a major plot by Malistaire and the current head of the O'Leary gang to break master criminal Meowiarty out of prison. Meowiarty is a powerful and intelligent criminal who would be more than capable of bypassing any protections the museum has guarding the Krokonomicon. The police send the player on various other cleanup duties such as helping out with stopping the deadly scratchings of Jacques the Scratcher, investigating into the AI rebellions of the clockwork machines built by HG Waggs, and searching for the O'Leary gang's automatons producer, Dr. Von Katzenstein. While Sherlock Bones has been sending the player around to follow his clues and report back to him, everyone was too late to stop Meowiarty from not only stealing the Krokonomicon, but retreating into Big Ben where he handed the Krokonomicon off to Malistaire. The player beats up Meowiarty and Meowiarty is all "Malistaire will save me" but Malistaire has already hosed off to MooShu.

World 4: MooShu
Malistaire needs to head to Dragonspyre for magic reasons, but the key to get there is guarded by the Emperor of MooShu. He goes there and confronts the Emperor but the Emperor won't hand over the key so Malistaire just takes it by force, harming the Emperor and putting him into a critical state. The Emperor is special in MooShu because his body acts as a link to the 3 lands of MooShu, the lands representing the body, the mind, and the spirit, and the Emperor being so greatly weakened means that the 3 surrounding villages have become tainted. The player is given the test of the body, mind, and spirit, and through this the player is confirmed to be fated to aid MooShu in helping to restore the Emperor by restoring MooShu itself. The Moodha speaks to the player and gives them the knowledge that the Moodha is looking out for them and that any and all who worship the Moodha will know the player's role in bringing about peace. In order to cure the Emperor, the player must journey to the Tatakai Outpost where Warlord Katsumari has been taken over by the War Oni and has started a war in the region using the Emperor's own sword. The player must defeat the War Oni and retrieve the sword, ending the war. They must also head to Shoshun Village where the waters have become tainted by the Plague Oni. Once they defeat the Plague Oni and purify the waters, they travel to the Tree of Life so that they can revive it and travel to the Spirit World so that they can fight Oni No Death. Having revived the tree, they take a fruit from it and head back to the Emperor. Giving him his sword, the fruit, and a vial of the purified water is enough to drive the Jade Oni out of him. Once the wizard defeats the Jade Oni, the Emperor expresses his thanks and his personal guard reveals that they had managed to take the key to Dragonspyre away from Malistaire after Malistaire had opened the gateway there. The player is given this key and then they have to go to Dragonspyre.

World 5: Dragonspyre
I don't know yet because I'm not far into it, but the basic gist so far has been that there is something in the center of this old, wartorn, lava-filled ghost of a city. The city is set up as a series of rings. Cyrus aids the player by opening the first portal and explaining that in each ring of the city, there will be a switch of some kind to enable the portal to the next ring of the city. Malistaire will be at the center and the player must stop him at all costs before he is able to succeed at using the Krokonomicon in such a magically volatile place as Dragonspyre.

Infinitum posted:

Wait, how much content does that game have? :psyduck:

After Dragonspyre, the main stories will take the player through at least 9 more worlds. I do not know if those 9 other worlds are all plot areas or if some are side content like Wysteria. I also don't know how many of those areas will have worlds-within-worlds like how there is an area called Wintertusk that is contained in Grizzleheim or how all of the Aquila content is accessed through a teleporter in Cyclops Lane in Wizard City, and the mini Crab Alley area that acts as the underwater crab kingdom that exists off of Wizard City's Triton Avenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Posting