Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Eddie was calling for people who breached the AFL rules (talking mainly about wives and girlfriends from other clubs which have been fined) to be flown back to Victoria right away.

I wonder what excuse he'll give for Bucks.

Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Saints...good?

Gresham is absolutely flying today

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
God drat Gerald Healy is an absolute wet noodle of a commentator.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

God drat Gerald Healy is an absolute wet noodle of a commentator.

I was just complaining about him in the discord. He is unbearable when he’s commentating swans games and he always seems to be commentating swans games. Everything in the afl is about Sydney to him.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

harperdc posted:

Saints...good?

Gresham is absolutely flying today

I don't think I can be sure of a lead ever again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not sure if this is a contentious statement, but if a player broke their hand last week, and had surgery for it six days ago, and you keep smacking him in that hand, you're a oval office.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That’s worth 12 weeks on precedent! Who is doing that to who? I stopped watching.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Carlisle got into it a bit with Rampe, and smacked at his hand several times

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Memento posted:

Was about as accurate as Sydney's goal kicking, can't even be a dickhead properly.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fox footy was just discussing the Carlisle thing. Pretty bad look.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
So far this round the closest match has been a 5 goal win by Hawthorn.

Scorelines of 90-49, 83-32, 89-58, 91-28, 119-50 and 101-48.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Memento posted:

Wasn't it Baker that got some giant suspension based on that once?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus Christ, there's an actual sniper in the stands!

https://twitter.com/SuperCoachIQ/status/1289496225473912832

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cmndstab posted:

Wasn't it Baker that got some giant suspension based on that once?

I think he copped it for doing like eight different things in one game, one of which happened to be going after an injured Steve Johnson

I mean, Baker has since been banned for life from any form of football competition in the country, so maybe he was going easy on Johnson

I would have liked to have thought that the Saints had moved on from their shithead rape-y ways, but I guess there's a little bit of holdover

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Memento posted:

rape-y ways
lmao that's some jump

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

boy undead posted:

lmao that's some jump

No you're totally right, they were cleared by police that time when two members of the leadership group were loving the same underage girl and she got pregnant, and naked pictures of them and one other player leaked onto the internet, and they paid off the girl, perfectly fine behaviour

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Memento posted:

No you're totally right, they were cleared by police that time when two members of the leadership group were loving the same underage girl and she got pregnant, and naked pictures of them and one other player leaked onto the internet, and they paid off the girl, perfectly fine behaviour

You are mixing two entirely different things together there and also making a bunch of poo poo up at the same time. Good effort dumbass.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid

Memento posted:

remind me again what that has to do with carlisle being a shithead tonight? because drawing a line between what happened tonight and actual rape is what I would call "some jump"

the fact that you decided I was being dismissive of that incident because I thought it was a jump to call a team "rapey" because of an on-field incident is also some jump

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nutsngum posted:

You are mixing two entirely different things together there and also making a bunch of poo poo up at the same time. Good effort dumbass.

Did the Saints never pay off an underage schoolgirl when she was knocked up by one of their players? Did that specific girl not leak nude photos of their leadership group? Guess I remember wrong, my apologies.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I would have gone with Carlisle being a dirty Essendon cheat, but you be you

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
"gee i sure was hoping the saints had moved on from their rapey ways but because carlisle tried to injure someone tonight, i guess they're all rapists"

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
drat I was gonna make a joke that the local crowd would have loved about Carlisle and proud St Kilda traditions but now it’s ruined

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Memento posted:

Did the Saints never pay off an underage schoolgirl when she was knocked up by one of their players? Did that specific girl not leak nude photos of their leadership group? Guess I remember wrong, my apologies.

No you know well enough you're making poo poo up to troll us, walk on.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
It was never proven the saints did anything wrong, they just most likely did, so you got to give them a pass. Unlike Essendon who most likely did but you gotta run them into the ground forever.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think the actual disagreement here is not necessarily on whatever happened in the past, but on the idea that Carlisle being a jerk could be described as the Saints being 'back to their rapey ways'.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
so i guess in 5 years when some unrelated essendon player who wasn't at the club at the time does something stupid yet completely unrelated on a football field I'll get to suggest the club still has "drug cheaty ways"

Chairchucker posted:

I think the actual disagreement here is not necessarily on whatever happened in the past, but on the idea that Carlisle being a jerk could be described as the Saints being 'back to their rapey ways'.
:yeah:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Oh yeah, thats a silly comment. You can't relate hitting a players hand with a previous club rape culture. But that wasn't what I was replying to as it veered off into "dont say bad things about the saints!" territory.

boy undead posted:

so i guess in 5 years when some unrelated essendon player who wasn't at the club at the time does something stupid yet completely unrelated on a football field I'll get to suggest the club still has "drug cheaty ways"

But honestly we don't have to wait 5 years, people do it now.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Memento posted:

I think he copped it for doing like eight different things in one game, one of which happened to be going after an injured Steve Johnson

I mean, Baker has since been banned for life from any form of football competition in the country, so maybe he was going easy on Johnson

My memory is he was essentially charged with a separate striking charge for each time he hit Johnson's hand.

Also lol what did he do to get banned for life?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

My memory is he was essentially charged with a separate striking charge for each time he hit Johnson's hand.

Also lol what did he do to get banned for life?

He broke some dudes jaw in a preseason game, which got him 6 weeks, and that happened to take him over the threshold for an automatic life ban, but the suspension was overturned on appeal so the ban was rescinded, and now he's just plain retired I think.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Mitch Cleary was stood down by the AFL for reporting on Cotchin's wife going and getting a facial then tweeting about it and coming back into the bubble.

This would be case #1 to stop all WAG/families from being in the bubble because they obviously can't be trusted to do the right thing. A loving facial could have brought down the entire league for fucks sake.
:cumpolice:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Diet Crack posted:

A loving facial could have brought down the entire league for fucks sake.

Wouldn’t have been the first time :australia:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

heyoo

(yeah I read through the last couple of pages)

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid

quote:

It’s understood the decision was made because the AFL believes Cleary’s obligations are as an AFL employee before his obligations as a journalist.
lol the afl are always finding ways to make their stupid decisions the focus

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bringing the game into disrepute for reporting on things that directly affect said game.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Is anyone surprised the AFL would do something like this?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
At least it looks like the broader footy journo community is pretty fired up about it so there’s probably going to be an embarrassing back down in the next day or so.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well wouldn’t fair work be interested in this? Was he fired or suspended or what?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I think the phrasing was “stood down” rather than fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Day 1 of AFLW trade period

I'm nervous.