Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Me playing yakuza for the first time:

Just got to the part in Kiwami 2 with the castle and it may be the dumbest spectacle in the series thus far. Like, have your ninja trap castle, that's fine. Why on earth would you build a second, secret, solid-gold replica of the same castle but hide it under the original? Who is it meant to trick? Why did the Omi even want the empty lot in the 80s when they clearly had hundreds of billions to spend on this insane castle-in-a-castle fortress stronghold? And can I assume, much like the subterranean-secret-prison-coliseum from 0, it's both never seen or mentioned again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wolfsheim posted:

Me playing yakuza for the first time:

Just got to the part in Kiwami 2 with the castle and it may be the dumbest spectacle in the series thus far. Like, have your ninja trap castle, that's fine. Why on earth would you build a second, secret, solid-gold replica of the same castle but hide it under the original? Who is it meant to trick? Why did the Omi even want the empty lot in the 80s when they clearly had hundreds of billions to spend on this insane castle-in-a-castle fortress stronghold? And can I assume, much like the subterranean-secret-prison-coliseum from 0, it's both never seen or mentioned again?

It rules. Have you fought the boss of there yet? Because that's the cherry on top

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

mastershakeman posted:

It rules. Have you fought the boss of there yet? Because that's the cherry on top

Boy did I! I thought it was a nice touch that the very next you move you learn from the acupuncturist is the Tiger Drop.

Currently running around Sotenbori with Haruka and I finally hit the point where I broke the economy. Nothing as crazy as 0's billions per minute but even just beating the first league of cabaret czar has me up 4 million with seemingly nothing to spend it on.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

man nurse posted:

I’m sick to death of trying to explain why I like Shenmue and stuff. It’s trying to do something pretty different from Yakuza and I wish people would stop saying “Yakuza does what Shenmue was trying to do”

They are nothing alike.

They are as alike as Yakuza is to GTA, in fact.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shinjobi posted:

They are as alike as Yakuza is to GTA, in fact.

yakuza:
- lean out the window of your car and shoot helicopters and motorbikes
- run into strung-out pedestrians who need your help
- fight the police
- heartwarming story about how the dumb criminal protagonist gets his poo poo together

gta:
- lean out the window of your car and shoot helicopters and motorbikes
- run into strung-out pedestrians who need your help
- fight the police
- heartwarming story about how the dumb criminal protagonist gets his poo poo together

:raise:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
why i oughtta

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The secret double castle is, amazing

It's one of the most yakuza things. Peak yakuza. All criminals should be like this

I also like in 6 when the dude's sex club under stardust has a ring in the ceiling so that people can get horny over hosts fistfighting. That was a goddamn experience

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My theory is that Kiryu was simply hallucinating violently due to blood loss and associated shock from being near fatally stabbed shortly before.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there was a bit where he used a gatling gun to mow down soldiers in samurai armour

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

rt4 posted:

Trip report: I played through Shenmue waiting for this neat open world to become interesting but it appears nearly all of the content is just filler? They recorded lines for every single character, but the vast majority of them don't actually say anything meaningful, even by JRPG standards. I beat the game and 3/4 of the gameplay was either driving a forklift (in a tedious, simulated work way) or asking strangers for directions.

Now I'm playing Shenmue 2. It's bigger and has some more modern conveniences like a minimap. The fact that it's so much larger just makes the uselessness of the open world even more infuriating. Where are all of the sidequests that should be here? Am I just supposed to talk to every single person until something happens? Still, I can't pull myself away from this terrible game
i like the pizza shop in shenmue 1 with nothing in it but a counter and a big italian guy with a moustache named Mario whos wearing a stereotypical chef's uniform. it's good they left his only dialogue being trying to talk you into buying a pizza and how he makes the (incredibly bad fake italian accent) spicy-a meatball!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're bored in quarantine waiting for Like A Dragon, may I suggest First Love, a Japanese crime film that is very much in the vein of a Yakuza storyline. It even features Mr. Libido!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

gta is anything but “heartwarming,” it’s a parade of ironically detached misanthropy where nothing matters because everyone is too contemptible for the player to care whether they’re happy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I dunno, the end part of GTA5 where Michael gets his family together is pretty heartwarming, honestly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Oh I dunno, the end part of GTA5 where Michael gets his family together is pretty heartwarming, honestly.

the part where his wife stays with him after they all go to family therapy and he threatens to murder her in front of their kids?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sounds like successful family therapy to me

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I forgot that part, I just remember Michael and the son busting rear end to save his family or whatever. Anyways forget all that crap, please watch Tokyo Tribe if only for a hip-hop masterclass featuring Awano

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
michael murders people as casually as breathing. threatening to murder someone and then not murdering them is the most heartfelt expression of love he is capable of.

by contrast, kiryu has never killed anyone. not even the people he shot with a gatling gun.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm rewatching the Lao Gui bossfight and having flashbacks to the time I was literally screaming at the screen that I was going to absolute waste this motherfucker, Yakuza 0 is the game of a generation, I will be hearing literally no arguments to the contrary

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

michael murders people as casually as breathing. threatening to murder someone and then not murdering them is the most heartfelt expression of love he is capable of.

by contrast, kiryu has never killed anyone. not even the people he shot with a gatling gun.

I was actually really surprised when in Yakuza 6 Kiryu not killing anyone got brought up as a major point towards the end, like everyone bringing up the fact that he's never "got his hands dirty."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Policenaut posted:

I was actually really surprised when in Yakuza 6 Kiryu not killing anyone got brought up as a major point towards the end, like everyone bringing up the fact that he's never "got his hands dirty."

When that plot element came into play I was actually screaming at my PS4 that the time has come today

People are expecting you in hell.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah I forgot that part, I just remember Michael and the son busting rear end to save his family or whatever. Anyways forget all that crap, please watch Tokyo Tribe if only for a hip-hop masterclass featuring Awano

Tokyo tribe is amazing and a singular movie experience

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I played through Yazuka 0 recently, as my first foray into the Yakuza series. I enjoyed it overall, but I felt the shallow combat really wearing thin by the end of the game.

I saw Kiwami 1 and 2 are now on gamepass, and went to try Kiwami 1, but quickly realized that it seems to be running on the same tech as 0 and the whole game feels and looks exactly the same. I don't know if I have the stomach for another 60 hours of a game that feels exactly like Yakuza 0 back to back. Kiwami 2 seems to be running on a newer version of the engine and seems like it would feel fresher.

Would it be terrible to go straight to Kiwami 2, or should I just wait until I have the appetite to work through Kiwami 1 first?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it definitely doesn't take 60 hours to get through kiwami. its story is shorter, there are fewer side activites, and a lot of what is there is recycled from 0 so you already did it

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Scoss posted:

I played through Yazuka 0 recently, as my first foray into the Yakuza series. I enjoyed it overall, but I felt the shallow combat really wearing thin by the end of the game.

I saw Kiwami 1 and 2 are now on gamepass, and went to try Kiwami 1, but quickly realized that it seems to be running on the same tech as 0 and the whole game feels and looks exactly the same. I don't know if I have the stomach for another 60 hours of a game that feels exactly like Yakuza 0 back to back. Kiwami 2 seems to be running on a newer version of the engine and seems like it would feel fresher.

Would it be terrible to go straight to Kiwami 2, or should I just wait until I have the appetite to work through Kiwami 1 first?

2 definitely has a better feel to it, being on a recent engine, and I believe it contains a full recap of 1.

You could skip, but a lot of the stuff in 1 was built up to very nicely in 0, so there’s a lot of payoff there. Still, Kiwami 1 is a lesser entry while 2 is one of the best, so if you have to choose, then yeah go for it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Scoss posted:

Kiwami 1 takes about 15 hours if you just power through the main story (which you should because majority of the side content is complete garbage trash aside from 3-4 substories).

Kiwami 1, despite being on the same tech as Yakuza 0 feels, overall, like a step down from Y0 since it's basically a 1-1 remake of Yakuza 1, with all the bad cutscenes. Instead of thinking of Kiwami 1 as a separate and equal game to Yakuza 0, think of Kiwami 1 as a DLC expansion to Yakuza 0.

Also, if bad combat drives you crazy, just wait until you get to Yakuza 3.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it is incomprehensible to me that the people that made 2 also made 1. 2 is a masterpiece and 1 is a great way to turn new people away from the franchise

that said, either power through the main story or watch it on youtube

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, the combat's not really the reason to play these games. In the more modern entries, the combat is fine but there's too much of it. In the older ones, the combat's pretty bad, and there's too much of it.

Regarding the lengths of the games:

Random question - I played all of Yakuza 6 and have no idea what "The Song of Life" might be. Anyone know?

Gort fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 1, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I must have wasted a gently caress ton of time because I played so much Yakuza 4, did a bunch of poo poo but still was only near like 50% completion after 80+ hours. (This is also a testament to how much I loving loved Yakuza 4).

With regard to my recent playthroughs of Yakuza 4/5 and Saejima - his portion was by far the worst section of Yakuza 4. 90% of his story is just completely railroaded and then when things do open up, they make it a pain in the rear end to do anything.

I'm loving fascinated that Yakuza 5 essentially does the same poo poo. Sure it's not as punishing, but goddamn does it feel like the story just loving screeches to a halt as soon as you get to Saejima's portion.

With the other characters in Yakuza 4 (and I'm assuming Yakuza 5 as well, I'm still in Saejima's portion), there's a decent amount of plot that happens. Saejima's entire section could basically be summed up within about 2 sentences without losing much detail. And there are just huge swaths that are completely meaningless to the overall story. I'm enjoying that each character in Yakuza 5 has a side hustle to make money but lol at how meaningless Saejima's time at the hunt village is to everything.

tldr: my boy Saejima got done dirty in this games as his story chapters are consistently railroaded chores where nothing happens.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Gort posted:

Yeah, the combat's not really the reason to play these games. In the more modern entries, the combat is fine but there's too much of it. In the older ones, the combat's pretty bad, and there's too much of it.

Regarding the lengths of the games:

Random question - I played all of Yakuza 6 and have no idea what "The Song of Life" might be. Anyone know?

So my takeaway here is that 6 has almost no side content and 3/4/5 have way too much?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yakuza 6 was the first game in the Dragon Engine and so they had to cut back on stuff, so you get situations where oh NO the illegal Japanese-themed gambling hall had a FIRE and you can't GO there now!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

So my takeaway here is that 6 has almost no side content and 3/4/5 have way too much?

6 has very good side content, but there’s a lot less of it than, say, 0 on account of the new engine. Almost all the mini games have been substantially reworked, the new baseball owns and has some great side stories attached to it. Clan creator is similarly fun with a nice side plot and dudes you can recruit.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

With regard to my recent playthroughs of Yakuza 4/5 and Saejima - his portion was by far the worst section of Yakuza 4.

It is genuinely astounding how I disagree with almost every single opinion you post in this thread. Not after a fight about it or anything but drat it's just wild

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

6 has very good side content, but there’s a lot less of it than, say, 0 on account of the new engine. Almost all the mini games have been substantially reworked, the new baseball owns and has some great side stories attached to it. Clan creator is similarly fun with a nice side plot and dudes you can recruit.

I do think it's a shame that Clan Creator only lets you bring along like five named characters, and then has a zillion faceless goons you can spawn. Let me bring everyone!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kojiro posted:

It is genuinely astounding how I disagree with almost every single opinion you post in this thread. Not after a fight about it or anything but drat it's just wild

I mean, hey, variety is the spice of life. It's good that someone enjoys the stuff. I enjoy his character, I just don't like way that the game is incredibly open and then just railroads you for a few hours until the last 10% of the character's story is open again.

Gort posted:

I do think it's a shame that Clan Creator only lets you bring along like five named characters, and then has a zillion faceless goons you can spawn. Let me bring everyone!

Is the Clan Creator is Y6 the same as YK2?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gort posted:

I reckon it's Today is a Diamond

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Is the Clan Creator is Y6 the same as YK2?

Almost identical, I believe, with the same real-life Japanese wrestlers in it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gort posted:

Almost identical, I believe, with the same real-life Japanese wrestlers in it.

No, they’re super different. You don’t have any nameless mooks in YK2’s, and you’re defending targets instead of pushing your way up a street in a battle.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

don't sweat the small stuff, there are guys and it's still a bad RTS

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, hey, variety is the spice of life. It's good that someone enjoys the stuff. I enjoy his character, I just don't like way that the game is incredibly open and then just railroads you for a few hours until the last 10% of the character's story is open again.
True that. I guess I don't care about railroading personally, as Saejima in 4 gets two of the best scenes in the entire series (the big cry in the coliseum and the noodle shop shootout (no i don't care about the bullets, it's still shot really well okay)) and that just thoroughly stomps all over any concerns about not being able to get to the mahjong minigame at will in my book.

Gort posted:

Ono Michio's debut single

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kojiro posted:

True that. I guess I don't care about railroading personally, as Saejima in 4 gets two of the best scenes in the entire series (the big cry in the coliseum and the noodle shop shootout (no i don't care about the bullets, it's still shot really well okay)) and that just thoroughly stomps all over any concerns about not being able to get to the mahjong minigame at will in my book.

Oh totally, for me it is that his parts really gently caress with pacing if you like doing side activities. I like doing substories along the way so I like doing 2-3 whenever they appear instead of just 15 all popping up at the very end if his part.

Sometimes, I don't want to progress the main story, I want to gently caress around and do other stuff. For Saejima, it's like "sit through 4 hours of railroaded story, then you can go do side stuff before you fight his part's boss"