Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So tidying up my 45's led to this little mix.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/44-minutes-of-45-rpm/

It was supposed to be 45 minutes but I messed up the mix a bunch of times and my vapored ONJ intro got cut down a bit. Probably for the best.

And here is a download code for you
Fat Possum - Not the Same Old Blues Crap
http://memphisvinyl.com/downloads/
mRRr3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

BigFactory posted:

It sounds like a grounding issue. Is your phonograph grounded?

I dunno, I'm just using the preamp inside the LP120 which is supposed to not need it, I think.

The hum does change in intensity when I touch the area around the tone arm, so I guess it is a grounding problem. The only discussion I could find of this specific problem doesn't have a solution; most of the search results I find around grounding are specifically issues with the phono output and not the preamp output :(

Seems like the preamp is internally grounded, and it's possible that getting rattled around during the move caused the ground to disconnect somehow.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

I dunno, I'm just using the preamp inside the LP120 which is supposed to not need it, I think.

The hum does change in intensity when I touch the area around the tone arm, so I guess it is a grounding problem. The only discussion I could find of this specific problem doesn't have a solution; most of the search results I find around grounding are specifically issues with the phono output and not the preamp output :(

Seems like the preamp is internally grounded, and it's possible that getting rattled around during the move caused the ground to disconnect somehow.

Does it have an external ground also?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

abraham linksys posted:

Maybe a stylus wire got bumped a little loose? I have dealt with this sort of problem playing out. Sometimes removing the head shell and blowing air into the connectors (the ol nintendo cartridge trick_) works. The red and white wires are RCA i assume? I have had those go bad on me as well. They are pretty cheap to replace.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 31, 2020

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

Enos Cabell posted:

Return that and get the Mac Sabbath flexi disc instead IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7kFfLRcHjU

A few years ago a friend of mine was Frying Fries and Nuggets on stage while they played at Outside Lands fest in SF. My wife and I got artist passes for the weekend as part of their crew, we were tasked with throwing fries and nuggets into/at the crowd while Mac Sabbath played

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
The lp120 is grounded internally so something is borked in the signal chain. Does the buzz switch channels if you swap the red and white cables going into the soundbar?

It's most likely the RCA to 1/8" connector you're using. Along with swapping the red and white connectors, try jiggling and slightly tugging each connection and see if the buzzing changes. If that doesn't do anything then start looking at your headshell.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Well poo poo… making multiple alarms for this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

abraham linksys posted:

After reorganizing my records, I went to actually play one, and remembered why I hadn't in a while: my Audio Technica LP120 has an issue where one channel of its output is missing and is instead just a loud buzzing noise :negative:

I've had issues with a missing channel before due to an unbalanced tone arm, but buzz is present even when the needle isn't in contact with the record. Google is a bit confusing and has a lot of people talking about various "hums" that sound a lot less overbearing than what's happening with my setup, and I can't find any issues about it specifically happening in one channel (I know it's one channel because when I unplug one half of the red/white cable it disappears).

My setup is just the red/white out from the turntable, to a cable that feeds them into a single 3.5mm, into a sound bar. I don't actually have any equipment that can just take red/white inputs (left my bookshelf speakers behind in the move), but I used this setup before the move and I remember it working fine, so I don't think it has to do with the sound bar or the cables. Seen some people talking about grounding issues, but I'm not really sure what the deal is with that.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? Not really sure how to best debug this. I was actually thinking of trading down to a more compact turntable anyways, so if this turns out to be an issue with the turntable I can't fix it's not the absolute worst thing, but it'd be nice to know more before dropping money on... I dunno, probably a U-Turn Orbit Basic?

There could be something wrong with the Y adapter or the jack it plugs into. A lot of the people bitching about the "hums" are whiny audiophile dickheads who swear that turntable makes an audible hum when it's used at all, so take that with a grain of salt unless someone is describing your exact issue. I've been using an LP120 for more than 12 years and I've never had problem with it. From the sounds of things it's most likely the adapter. You would know better than I but those adapters come in mono and stereo so keep and any on that. I'd check on the little things like the adapters and such before you outright buy a new turntable.

sporklift posted:

Maybe a stylus wire got bumped a little loose? I have dealt with this sort of problem playing out. Sometimes removing the head shell and blowing air into the connectors (the ol nintendo cartridge trick_) works. The red and white wires are RCA i assume? I have had those go bad on me as well. They are pretty cheap to replace.

Don't blow into that with your breath because it releases moisture from your mouth which can oxidize. Use a computer duster. But yeah it could could possibly be one of the wires from the cart to the head shell being loose.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 31, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Evil Bob posted:

A few years ago a friend of mine was Frying Fries and Nuggets on stage while they played at Outside Lands fest in SF. My wife and I got artist passes for the weekend as part of their crew, we were tasked with throwing fries and nuggets into/at the crowd while Mac Sabbath played

Hah, that is awesome. I had a chance to see them last year, but had to be at a wedding instead.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Don't blow into that with your breath because it releases moisture from your mouth which can oxidize. Use a computer duster. But yeah it could could possibly be one of the wires from the cart to the head shell being loose.

Yeah. Use canned air. Unless you are in a bar using the house tables...

Anyway. Listening to records at Henry Rollins' house might be the most tedious thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLtfo9p-Ydo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Anyway. Listening to records at Henry Rollins' house might be the most tedious thing ever.

Heh, yeah I can't imagine a person being like this...I wonder what it's like to be around someone like that. I have no idea that's for sure.

I actually reacted the way people do to jump scares in horror movies when he grabbed the record by the playing surface. I'm not kidding.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

You guys don't eat scrambled eggs off your $500 Zelda bootleg records? smdh

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This poo poo is going to be stupidly overpriced because neckbeards like me will snap it up without second thought.

Well I take that back... my second thought is what the other retailer exclusives will look like.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I always make sure to slam the tonearm down with as much force as possible.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm unsure if I like this new current future where I can buy a Choking Victim album off amazon and it arrives next day

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I do all that poo poo when I listen to records, his plodding cadence drags it out but it’s not a lot to do to keep everything working well.

Except I foolishly have left the... uh, dampener lever? In the upright position between plays. Gonna have to break that habit.

I also get the stylus on the record and give the record a manual quarter-turn to make sure it’s in the groove before firing ‘er up to full speed. But that’s down to my AT 120 having the dreaded anti-skating problem that seems endemic to those machines (he appears to have fixed his though.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pwn posted:

Except I foolishly have left the... uh, dampener lever? In the upright position between plays. Gonna have to break that habit.
I just checked on my own LP120, when the tonearm is cradled the bit that the lever moves up and down isn't even touching the tonearm. Varies by model I'm sure.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

sporklift posted:

Someone get this man an automatic table.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

I always make sure to slam the tonearm down with as much force as possible.

I do a whole ring toss kind of thing to get the disc on the spindle. It takes a lot of tries but it makes the listening experience all that much more rewarding. If it lands on the wrong side I start all over again. It usually takes me at least 45 minutes to put on a record.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Maybe just me but that album art seems really lovely? They could have just done almost any frame from the opening credits and it would have worked better.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Maybe just me but that album art seems really lovely? They could have just done almost any frame from the opening credits and it would have worked better.

It's actually illegal to release a soundtrack/score album on vinyl with decent cover art. Especially if it's expensive. The more money it costs the shittier it has to look. And especially if it's for a movie that already has a poster with great art.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
i love rollins and his giant speakers he uses to listen to badly recorded punk albums

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
thanks to everyone who told me stuff to investigate further. turns out the problem was a combination of me using the wrong type of RCA->3.5 cables (thus the hum) and the headshell having coming slightly unscrewed (thus the lack of sound in one channel) :negative:

easy and free fix, though (glad I obsessively keep all the cables I ever get), glad to have my turntable back! now to figure out how the hell to budget out vinyl purchasing in this new world. I used to purely constrain myself to purchasing secondhand records in person, because Discogs is a terrifying black hole, and only get new releases online, but now I'm thinking of doing some digital crate digging... maybe time to start on the italo disco collection I've always wanted.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

now to figure out how the hell to budget out vinyl purchasing

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

budget for vinyl?

what's that?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It's actually illegal to release a soundtrack/score album on vinyl with decent cover art. Especially if it's expensive. The more money it costs the shittier it has to look. And especially if it's for a movie that already has a poster with great art.
I've been giggling about this one for a couple of days now. Cool that they got The Struz, but still HELPMEI'MTRAPPEDINACLOCK:

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I've been giggling about this one for a couple of days now. Cool that they got The Struz, but still HELPMEI'MTRAPPEDINACLOCK:

They didn’t get Struzan, this is one of the early one-sheet drafts from the first film. From the BttF 30th Anniversary book:

So it’s actually a cool way to use previously-unused art, and also can you tell me where to find that soundtrack?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

They didn’t get Struzan, this is one of the early one-sheet drafts from the first film. From the BttF 30th Anniversary book:

So it’s actually a cool way to use previously-unused art, and also can you tell me where to find that soundtrack?

Without even looking it up I knew that had to be a Mondo release, and lo...

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

Without even looking it up I knew that had to be a Mondo release, and lo...

Oh man, i didn’t think it was Mondo because they’d released the BttF soundtrack a few years ago, but as it turns out, this new one is like the pedestrian version with a couple of score tracks and the huey lewis tracks. Wish I could get the old release but with this art. Without spending $60 of course

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I think I know why they didn't use that one.

Anyway look at all this garbage:

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I think I know why they didn't use that one.

Anyway look at all this garbage:

Excuse me but this owns and my copy brings joy and light to my life :colbert:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Literally the only flaw in Waxwork's pressing of Beetlejuice is the missing Danny Elfman vocals in the credits.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

dorium posted:

Well poo poo… making multiple alarms for this.

Everyone and their loving mother is going to have a variant of this. Mondo, LITA, Newbury (I think), etc. Not a huge fan of the cover but I already have a bootleg of one with the cover I'd have expected.

edit: I kinda like that DotD cover combo with the vinyl color. Drive doesn't look half bad either. I am a man of bad taste.

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 2, 2020

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Related to the questionable album art for a lot of these gimmick releases, I’m assuming wacky color vinyl is here to stay. I don’t know much about production, so I’m guessing it doesn’t cost any or much extra to produce while it gives them a solid hook for weirdo collector types to want to snatch up first/second/third pressings of like, 90s commercial jingle compilations or whatever.

I just kinda roll my eyes when I see something with LIMITED EDITION RED VINYL. I’m sure it’s a draw for some still but it feels like when everyone is doing it it loses most of the novelty pretty quick.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Related to the questionable album art for a lot of these gimmick releases, I’m assuming wacky color vinyl is here to stay. I don’t know much about production, so I’m guessing it doesn’t cost any or much extra to produce while it gives them a solid hook for weirdo collector types to want to snatch up first/second/third pressings of like, 90s commercial jingle compilations or whatever.

I just kinda roll my eyes when I see something with LIMITED EDITION RED VINYL. I’m sure it’s a draw for some still but it feels like when everyone is doing it it loses most of the novelty pretty quick.

It actually costs quite a bit more to produce the crazy color variants than it would be to just make a black record or even a single color version.

Also, that Get Out cover is hideous.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That cover art for the Alien score is the most offensive to me. Just way too busy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

It actually costs quite a bit more to produce the crazy color variants than it would be to just make a black record or even a single color version.

Also, that Get Out cover is hideous.

If you took the words off of it I would have assumed it was just some poorly drawn political cartoon. The worst part of those is that almost every single one of those movies has poster art that would look great on those covers (and many of them were released that way years ago). The Battletoads one is just plain embarrassing. It looks like it came off of some teenager's long forgotten deviant art page.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hey can someone answer me a question? And it’s ok if you don’t know.

In the context of all the Ghibli soundtracks being released in the last 2 years, what does “image album” mean?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

Hey can someone answer me a question? And it’s ok if you don’t know.

In the context of all the Ghibli soundtracks being released in the last 2 years, what does “image album” mean?

Think "music inspired by" but not actually used in the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

If you took the words off of it I would have assumed it was just some poorly drawn political cartoon. The worst part of those is that almost every single one of those movies has poster art that would look great on those covers (and many of them were released that way years ago). The Battletoads one is just plain embarrassing. It looks like it came off of some teenager's long forgotten deviant art page.

Poorly drawn political cartoon is the perfect way to put it. Waxwork’s new cover artwork is general the worst of any of these types of labels, IMO. The Chopping Mall cover is absolutely brutal.