Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Levitate posted:

what kind of "local lake" is 265km around? just curious

Lake Tahoe Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Levitate posted:

what kind of "local lake" is 265km around? just curious

https://goo.gl/maps/sp9Wo2Tht5jwUPuCA

Had that recommended to me, but I didn't have enough time to check it out. It's first on my list next time I'm there.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ElMaligno posted:

Lake Tahoe Maybe?

Nope, Tahoe has a 72mi circumference. Quite deep though.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

Your saddle position and angle could also be causing problems. if it's too forward or angled down you wind up supporting more weight on your hands. A little downward saddle angle can be beneficial to comfort but if you're sliding off it and have to hold yourself in place with your hands that's a problem. So make sure that's not happening, and possibly try sliding it just slightly back (and also you have to go down a bit to compensate for the extra distance to the cranks.

Brake and shift lever position could be contributing as well. They rotate up and down and move in and out just by loosening up the clamp bolt. You don't want to have to twist your wrists up or down to use the brakes and depending on the model you might want to move them in so only your index fingers pull the end of the lever. They tend to wind up way too far out/against the grips on a lot of bikes for some reason.

This is good advice, and also do more planks.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's wild that 94 and 95 BCD both exist. I didn't know about that.
Apparently there are 95 BCD chainrings, this just isn't one of them. Apparently it's only found on some odd 6- and 3-arm cranks. The guy who sold me this listed it as 95 (and a bunch of other Impel cranks as 95) and those are then fed through a bunch of other eBay crawlers and screws up all of the search results.

After taking the chainrings off and comparing them, it's 94. Makes things a lot easier.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah that's true, since it's my road bike and not my fully fredded commuting bike I don't really use it in poor weather. It's probably not idea for those conditions.

Apparently the stolen bike market is booming here to the point where you have to pre-order bikes you see locked up on the street.

which U of M is this?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

My 2 hour bike ride ended up being 2:45 min and I almost bonked so hard in the last 45 minutes and proceeded to absolutely inhale a Michelob Ultra when I got in the door. I hate being that hungry cause my stomach is in knots and I barely want to eat more than a nibble or liquids for like an hour after. Shoulda brought a gel. :(

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Again, I feel like I am losing my mind. I am building up a Crust Romeo with disc brakes. I have no experience with disc brakes and I cannot decipher by looking at the fork and rear triangle whether I need flat or post mount. The pictures I have seen of built up frames all have adapters (maybe just a Paul Klamper thing??), which is further confusing me. Assistance appreciated.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

These are "IS" mounts. You need an IS to Post Mount adaptor and post mount calipers.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Those are IS brake tabs. They use those aluminum adapters to use post mount brakes, I've never seen a IS only brake caliper. Flat mount is a newer thing that started on road bikes that is smaller and weighs less.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cool, thanks again.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IS to Flat Mount apdaters technically exist but you really should buy post mount as the adapters will be cheaper and the calipers can be used on flat mount frames, while the reverse isn't possible

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Clark Nova posted:

IS to Flat Mount apdaters technically exist but you really should buy post mount as the adapters will be cheaper and the calipers can be used on flat mount frames, while the reverse isn't possible

rear end olutions :hmmyes:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

rope kid posted:

Again, I feel like I am losing my mind. I am building up a Crust Romeo with disc brakes. I have no experience with disc brakes and I cannot decipher by looking at the fork and rear triangle whether I need flat or post mount. The pictures I have seen of built up frames all have adapters (maybe just a Paul Klamper thing??), which is further confusing me. Assistance appreciated.

2020 has the world upside down.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The size of IS mount you need also depends on what size brake rotor you're using, so make sure to get the correct one.

actionjackson posted:

which U of M is this?

Manitoba.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

TobinHatesYou posted:

2020 has the world upside down.

Disc brakes, 1" quill stem, cork grips, and bar end shifters. :dukedog:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

The size of IS mount you need also depends on what size brake rotor you're using, so make sure to get the correct one.

This and Crust will probably have a maximum rotor size for the fork somewhere which you won't want to exceed.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

rope kid posted:

Disc brakes, 1" quill stem, cork grips, and bar end shifters. :dukedog:

get TRP Hylex with the silver drillium levers

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Is that a patinaed mounting bolt?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Horrible weather today as a typhoon is on the way, but I tested a new camera mount on bike - a bit better. Next clear day I'm going to extend it more, with some stiffer guy ropes, and record proper audio because the gopro of course can't get poo poo for sound up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S4peVLz8NU

I think it will give some nice views of urban scenes, like around ~12:00. Taiwan is pretty good for night scenes since there's always enough neon lights to be fairly visible.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 1, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Looks a lot better.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

kimbo305 posted:

Is that a patinaed mounting bolt?
Who knows? The whole bike is very... artisanal.

https://theradavist.com/2018/05/golden-saddle-rides-scotts-stripped-and-raw-crust-bikes-romanceur/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Alexa, show me a Stuntman™ but shittier.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Tag yourself, I'm the 145 inches of brake cable housing.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

quote:

I can’t even describe how good this bike looks in person

There's a reason for that

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Whoever invented the little tab inside the rear derailleur cage is a real rear end in a top hat.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sanity check, my 1.5" tapered fork uses a 1-1/8" stem right?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Probably, but there are some 1.25" steerers out there.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Biking update: got stung/bit by a bee/wasp riiiight at that sensitive piece of skin at the base of my nostril.

Don’t let this happen to you.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jamal posted:

Probably, but there are some 1.25" steerers out there.
Thanks. Just remembered that I had measured previously to buy a new stem clamp expander bolt, yep 1-1/8".

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Rode my bike today and all I got was a hatred for lifted diesel trucks and a helmet strap tan!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my ongoing shifter saga (r8000 ultegra). shifter has been somewhat difficult to go from small ring to big but i tried to adjust the front dereilleur and thought that solved it but it got stiff again, i tried cranking really hard on the shifter to force it and then it made a big clunk/crunch sound and now it absolutely does not work at all. i thought perhaps it was due to the cable but i replaced that and it's still not working.

...after examining the shifter i noticed that this guy is broken? Shimano L.H. Main Support Lever - Y63X80010

but i'm not sure that's the cause of why the shifter feels bad and doesnt work.

here's a video of me trying to actuate the shift mechanism and comparing it to the RH side which works perfectly. (the broken part shown above is not installed in this video)

https://i.imgur.com/9efJGco.mp4

i have dropped or fallen a couple times but i dont really know if that's the cause of it.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 2, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have no advice, but I'm shocked there's anything user serviceable in an R8000 STI.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the 145 inches of brake cable housing.

I am the downtube friction shifters.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I bought a non-functioning Shimano LH shifter and was able to get it to work by blasting all up in the internals with wd-40 and working it back and forth for a couple of minutes. Apparently the Shimano grease is known to gum up under certain conditions. Don't know if that's your problem but worth a shot if it's otherwise bricked.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

becoming posted:

I am the downtube friction shifters.
There's only one!

I'm the 1/3 of an inner ring of triple used to hold the Sinewave light to the rack with a bolt and no nut.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I had a nice long ride today in good weather. My area has a lot of road cycling traffic and cars are usually pretty good about leaving the full lane of space to pass cyclists given how common it is. But today, I got buzzed by 3 cars who tried to squeeze in the pass while oncoming traffic was coming up at a hill - one guy in a merc pretty much left me 6" going fast as hell. I worry that some day I'll just be killed by one of these impatient psychos. What's a way to fight back? I have a Go Pro and could just mount it to my stem and report, but I doubt the cops would give a poo poo... or would they?

I make it a habit of waving to drivers who pass safely and leave a lot of room. I know I shouldn't feel grateful at the fact that they decided not to harm me, but I believe some positive feedback has some value. :classiclol: Maybe some negative is in order.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

former glory posted:

I had a nice long ride today in good weather. My area has a lot of road cycling traffic and cars are usually pretty good about leaving the full lane of space to pass cyclists given how common it is. But today, I got buzzed by 3 cars who tried to squeeze in the pass while oncoming traffic was coming up at a hill - one guy in a merc pretty much left me 6" going fast as hell. I worry that some day I'll just be killed by one of these impatient psychos. What's a way to fight back? I have a Go Pro and could just mount it to my stem and report, but I doubt the cops would give a poo poo... or would they?

I make it a habit of waving to drivers who pass safely and leave a lot of room. I know I shouldn't feel grateful at the fact that they decided not to harm me, but I believe some positive feedback has some value. :classiclol: Maybe some negative is in order.

I also make a habit of waving to drivers. I think it's good to put positive energy in to the world.
I tend to assume that drivers that are squeezing too close to me aren't malicious, they just don't realize how unsafe it feels (and is!) when they do it.

To help them avoid doing something that dangerous, if there isn't room for them to pass safely, I ride smack gently caress in the middle of the lane, so that it is OBVIOUS that there isn't room to "squeeze" past. Sometimes this feels obnoxious, but I'd rather be a bit of an imposition than get killed. In order to mitigate it, as soon as it *is* safe for me to let a driver by, I make an exaggerated movement back to the side of the lane, and wave them through. I feel like overtly sharing the road this way helps it be clearer that I'm not being "rude" for no reason with what I'm doing. Whether any of that gets through to drivers behind me, no idea, but it makes me feel better about it, which is what's important.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I also ride farther out when it's not safe to pass to discourage passing. If there's no shoulder and you're like, right on the white line, cars are going to try to go by. If you're out in the lane a bit like on the tire groove or a little more, they have to cross the yellow to get by and at that point might realize they should just go all the way over and give you space.

But also I won't be surprised if some dipshit hits/kills me while i'm riding a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

former glory posted:

bicievino posted:

I also make a habit of waving to drivers. I think it's good to put positive energy in to the world.
I tend to assume that drivers that are squeezing too close to me aren't malicious, they just don't realize how unsafe it feels (and is!) when they do it.

To help them avoid doing something that dangerous, if there isn't room for them to pass safely, I ride smack gently caress in the middle of the lane, so that it is OBVIOUS that there isn't room to "squeeze" past. Sometimes this feels obnoxious, but I'd rather be a bit of an imposition than get killed. In order to mitigate it, as soon as it *is* safe for me to let a driver by, I make an exaggerated movement back to the side of the lane, and wave them through. I feel like overtly sharing the road this way helps it be clearer that I'm not being "rude" for no reason with what I'm doing. Whether any of that gets through to drivers behind me, no idea, but it makes me feel better about it, which is what's important.

Exactly what bicievino wrote, with the addition that I'll also make it a point to look out for drivers that are waiting behind me by checking hills/curves and waving them by with a thumbs-up to signal "you're good to go, I know you're there, it's safe, no oncoming traffic". I do frequently get waves or the occasional quick tap of the horn as they pass, which I interpret as a "thanks for looking out, have a safe ride" sort of gesture. I do the overwhelming majority of my cycling on roads shared with cars and while I do occasionally have a jerk pass too close, this is pretty rare all things considered.

When you need to, take the lane. It is legal in all 50 states in the United States (so I have read - I have not actually gone and investigated this). When there is oncoming traffic, when you are going around a blind turn, when you are going up a blind hill, take the lane and do not give them any room to think "I can squeeze by". I think it's rarely malice, I think drivers just don't realize how dangerous it is. Don't give them the opportunity to squeeze by. Take the lane when you need it.