Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Man I'm 3.5 episodes into season 2 and goddamn is it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I'm really enjoying the season after getting 6 episodes deep yesterday, but big unfortunate timing for the show to have a civil rights subplot given, like, y'know. Gonna be a lot to unpack with some of those scenes.

The music, cinematography, and choreography is on point just like last season, and I'm def. echoing the idea above about the kid who plays Five. Like what the actual gently caress, how is he that good.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sab Sabbington posted:

unfortunate timing for the show to have a civil rights subplot given, like, y'know. Gonna be a lot to unpack with some of those scenes.

I was thinking the same thing

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think the timing is just as good as say Watchmen and not unfortunate at all. I even think there is a later scene where Allison claims there is progress but way much more work to do hit a lot heavier than maybe that was intended.

My only complaint about the season was how little Hazel we got, but was happy to hear he and Agnes had 25 years together.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Episode 6 spoiler

I'm sad about Carl's heel turn. Early on I thought her seemed like a decent guy with 1960's views on gender roles. It seemed like he genuinely cared for Sissy and Harlan. I'm interested to see where this story goes

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Amnesia was stupid as hell, vanya goes through almost the exact same character arc as the first season

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"only" in episode 4, but Claus is such a broken man, best character on the show after Hazel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Very pumped right now.

I was ambivalent to the first season, mainly because it all felt like setup. But now we're getting to the meat of things.

Also the kid who plays Number 5 deserves some sort of award.

In S2E8 he has scenes with the old man version of five and they did a great job of matching mannerisms and ways of speaking, it was perfect.

E:Oh god, E9 He’s even better when he’s losing his poo poo completely. This kid is fantastic.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 2, 2020

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Only two episodes into season two but goddamn the time cop cleanup crew sure loves to cause a gigantic spectacle with massive collateral damage.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In S2E8 he has scenes with the old man version of five and they did a great job of matching mannerisms and ways of speaking, it was perfect.

E:Oh god, E9 He’s even better when he’s losing his poo poo completely. This kid is fantastic.

Luther was so fantastic while making that introduction.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just finished season 2. Massive improvement over the first season- and I really liked the first season. I’m both very much looking to season 3 and dreading the cancellation after S3 since that’s what Netflix does to all their shows.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Season 2 was great, right now of humor, seriousness nand action. I loved (S2E9 spoiler) everything with Old 5 and Young 5. loving both of them deserve an award for their scenes together!

S3 going to be good! For those that have read the comics... Does the show do an accurate job of portraying the comics or are they pretty different?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

Season 2 was great, right now of humor, seriousness nand action. I loved (S2E9 spoiler) everything with Old 5 and Young 5. loving both of them deserve an award for their scenes together!

S3 going to be good! For those that have read the comics... Does the show do an accurate job of portraying the comics or are they pretty different?

They’re super different in a lot of ways, the show is a kind of broad strokes adaptation. Especially S2. I don’t think they could do a straight adaptation and have it work at all, so it was the right call IMO.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The second season is a substantial improvement on the first. By jettisoning almost all of the last season's subplots (especially around Hazel and Cha Cha), the show can actually explore the dynamics of the central ensemble and the unique ways in which they are hosed up. Five has rightfully gotten a lot of praise, but I liked the added focus on Diego after he spent so much of last season in a supporting role. Him simultaneously being very, very dumb and laser-focused on stopping the Kennedy assassination leads to some great moments.

I want to mull it over more, but the weakest aspects of the show for me are Lila, who feels like three separate characters stapled together instead of a cohesive whole, and (E10) the cop-out "no, you cannot bring your lover or your husband to the future" ending.

SalTheBard posted:

Episode 6 spoiler

I'm sad about Carl's heel turn. Early on I thought her seemed like a decent guy with 1960's views on gender roles. It seemed like he genuinely cared for Sissy and Harlan. I'm interested to see where this story goes

E10 Spoilers: I went back and forth about this myself. While I don't think the progression itself makes much sense (there's no reason for Carl to become a fantastically evil monster who puts his wife and child in life-threatening situations instead of being mundanely malicious), I did appreciate the overall message of his and Sissy's final confrontation: That just because Carl did everything right for the era doesn't mean Sissy is wrong for wanting more and wanting out.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I thought the first season was better, but I'm happy with the the second overall. I still think there were major issues with, I don't know, the editing? Just the way shots were slapped together at times seemed abnormally sloppy.

Other issue (general S2 spoilers): Also would have liked the villain to have more... weight? The Handler specifically and the Commission more broadly had repeatedly shown themselves to be inept and bumbling, so I never felt they raised the stakes. We're told over and over that the Commission is insanely dangerous, but only Hazel and Cha-Cha, the Swedes, and Lila ever really seem a threat. Kind of similar to how the First Order in the Star Wars sequels seemed like just a handful of comically-butterfingered goons when they should have been the ominous heirs to the powerful and regimented Galactic Empire.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still don’t love this show or anything but season 2 is definitely a dramatic improvement. Stuff like the needledrops are still annoying (the vast majority of the time they’re just propping up an uninteresting scene instead of enhancing an already good one, and the choices are too obvious - changing it to a cover or a foreign-language version doesn’t fix that), but the pace is better, the bickering is less irritating, a lot of the premise is more inherently comedic so it’s able to be an actual comedy more often instead of the poorly-written family drama with the occasional zinger 1 fell into so often, and there’s nothing anywhere near as annoying or frustrating as the Vanya love interest subplot which drove me absolutely loving insane last year.

e: hahahah gently caress you esp

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 2, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bless

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

👀

e: loving 4k screens

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

episode 7 jesus christ this gets dark

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I really enjoy this show

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh man, I loved the bit from episode....8?....(Oga for Oga) where Luther and Diego think it was a woman named Olga Foroga who killed their friend and then wrote her name for them to see, and so they wound up calling her and threatening her.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mastajake posted:

Oh man, I loved the bit from episode....8?....(Oga for Oga) where Luther and Diego think it was a woman named Olga Foroga who killed their friend and then wrote her name for them to see, and so they wound up calling her and threatening her.

That part was fantastic. I was briefly annoyed that they were going to have some plot where they go and stalk the wrong person for a second, then 5 shows up and is like “it’s Swedish, you dipshits!”

Any time 5 gets to dunk on his siblings, it’s a delight.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Every single spoken line in Swedish was a loving shitshow, jfc it was painful to listen to.

Other than that I enjoyed the season and am looking forward to the third.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Government Handjob posted:

Every single spoken line in Swedish was a loving shitshow, jfc it was painful to listen to.

Other than that I enjoyed the season and am looking forward to the third.

I loved that the guys who were supposed to be swedes was even worse at swedish than the handler, that was fun

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The "running from bullets" trope gets a workout in this show, especially in the last episode.

What's Luther's power? Just stronger than most people? He's able to take a rocket to the back in the invasion, but very little like that happens.

It's a fun show otherwise, and the delay before season 3 is going to be long.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Had Diego ever (final ep spoilers) redirected someone else’s projectiles before he did it with the Commission bullets to shield five?

I really did appreciate how much more power the family had in this season now that they have more control and understanding of their abilities. I would have love to have Klaus summon some ghost cowboys to shoot it out with the commission in that battle in the field though.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Had Diego ever (final ep spoilers) redirected someone else’s projectiles before he did it with the Commission bullets to shield five?

I really did appreciate how much more power the family had in this season now that they have more control and understanding of their abilities. I would have love to have Klaus summon some ghost cowboys to shoot it out with the commission in that battle in the field though.

He's shown doing it in the big Avengers-like splash sequence in the first episode of the the season. Don't remember it at all in season 1 though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I literally just started s2 so I'm not clicking those spoilers, but....(S1 spoiler I suppose but there may be new viewers) Isn't Klaus supposed to be in Viet Nam about now? Or was later?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was later in the 60s. Season 2 mentions that his love interest in the war died in 1968.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Collateral posted:

I literally just started s2 so I'm not clicking those spoilers, but....(S1 spoiler I suppose but there may be new viewers) Isn't Klaus supposed to be in Viet Nam about now? Or was later?

later, he even references it at one point

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Collateral posted:

Just basic history here, so no spoilers: that was 1968 at the height of the US involvement on the ground. Though Kennedy was in the process of escalating from the fewer than a thousand troops present in Vietnam under Eisenhower, it was only after Johnson took over that troops really started pouring in, the draft kicked into gear, and the conflict truly entered the public consciousness in America.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
ah cool, it was a long war...All the timecops are cosplaying Christopher Lloyd eh? Nice touch.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

What's Luther's power? Just stronger than most people?

Super strength yea. Amplified further when dad gave him a gorilla's body after some accident.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Just basic history here, so no spoilers: that was 1968 at the height of the US involvement on the ground. Though Kennedy was in the process of escalating from the fewer than a thousand troops present in Vietnam under Eisenhower, it was only after Johnson took over that troops really started pouring in, the draft kicked into gear, and the conflict truly entered the public consciousness in America.

I watched the Ken Burns doc on it, yeah, poo poo was hosed.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Super strength yea. Amplified further when dad gave him a gorilla's body after some accident.

Doesn't really seem like it. In the first season bank robbery scene he chucks the mooks around and easily sends em flying. His strength and durability seems to keep changing

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The ape body made him more durable, his power is super strength. Which is why he could get horribly hosed up during a mission and require treatment to become ape. He wasn't super-durable when he was younger.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The MCU's Hulk made the strongman superhero power hard to portray in TV/movies, because anything as strong/stronger isn't realistic and anything weaker is disappointing. They should have given him another power besides super strength and super pseudo-incest.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

The MCU's Hulk made the strongman superhero power hard to portray in TV/movies, because anything as strong/stronger isn't realistic and anything weaker is disappointing. They should have given him another power besides super strength and super pseudo-incest.

He also has super brooding about his dad sending him to the moon.

But yeah, his powers don’t really do anything interesting compared to the others. It’s not like how powers define a lot of Klaus or Allison’s character arcs, it’s less interesting to watch than Five blinking around and teleport fighting stuff, and there’s no risk of unpredictable collateral damage like Vanya’s. He just punches things. Even Diego at least has a kind of flashy fighting style most of the time.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i'm about halfway through the new season, so far it's felt like a huge step up from the first, which was fun and had some nice style, but didnt feel like it was as good as it could have been

second is just heaps and heaps of fun. looking forward to watching the rest. i like the dance numbers.

one thing that kinda struck me weird was during some of the more 'political' events so far, it's seemed kind of.... toothless? like, we're supposed to think none of the racist white folks are using the n word in the 60s? i understand completely why they wouldnt want to, but it made it seem... not as bad as it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Halfway through season 2, really enjoying it still. Not like, earth shatteringly good, not genre defining, but enjoyable TV!