Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stabilizer never helps my snow blower :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Don't put the corn syrup gas in your small engines.
Several times we'd be working on a small engine and just toss the carb and buy a new one.

Even taking a carb apart and cleaning it, doesn't really work.

Though really, for stuff you only use a few times a year, get an electric version.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I work in healthcare desktop support.

You...you got any more of that quarantine poo poo man?

My feet and legs ache like crazy from walking 7 miles a day. The work is not too bad and the people are pleasant enough, but it's exhausting. Plus I'm working a swing shift so my schedule is crazy and I'm falling behind on lot of my hobbies, and my GF still wants to hang out so I'm pretty much not at home the same as I always was.

Really jonesing for a staycation as absurd as that is to say these days.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Than, I can't remember if you asked it in this thread or another one but I couldn't make the cmdlet do variable numbers of pages. The only thing I can think of is doing a loop where it splits a file and then splits again the remainder but that didn't seem to work right.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thomamelas posted:

Than, I can't remember if you asked it in this thread or another one but I couldn't make the cmdlet do variable numbers of pages. The only thing I can think of is doing a loop where it splits a file and then splits again the remainder but that didn't seem to work right.

I think it was the IT thread, but I greatly appreciate the effort. I owe you a post-quarantine beer sometime, if you ever make it out to Seattle.

I think I may just grab random Googled-for open-source program and try it on my home PC (PDFTK).

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ah yes, the famous fresh air of English cities.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I mean, Office Space's speech about how little work Peter does in a typical day has the kernel of truth.

No one was 100% on task in the office, ever. So, to try to enforce that remote is trying to enforce a standard that never existed so that's never going to function properly.

And that's really the thing, bad management. If your management strategy was to measure the success of your directs by how much work you observed them doing in the office rather than their actual output, then yeah, you can't do that now. That's a good thing that you can't do that anymore.

At my previous $AWFUL_JOB we were expected to bill at least 8 hours a day. Since we billed externally in whole hour increments but tracked time in 15min slices internally, you could get 4 billable hours for one clock our, meaning a really productive day could be more than 20 billable hours if you worked on multiple tickets from multiple clients. It was a nightmare, and my boss considered the 8 hour requirement to be overly generous to us.

My job now, where I'm infinitely more happy, productive, and profitable, my manager told me the other day that he honestly expects about 3-4 hours of actual work a day out of us, anything more and he considers that we are being burned out. It's such a refreshing change.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I am a introvert and homebody... But I had to work from home for 5 straight weeks through March and April and I HATED it. I absolutely need the physical work/home separation.

Granted I only live 6 miles from work, it takes a whole 10 minutes to get there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

stevewm posted:

I am a introvert and homebody... But I had to work from home for 5 straight weeks through March and April and I HATED it. I absolutely need the physical work/home separation.

I thought it would get to me but I feel perfectly content, and I've been WFH four months now. About all I require is occasional hikes in nature which I've been able to do because there's a number of lightly used natural areas within an hour of travel. Low risk and zero contact with anyone.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've WFH since November 2011, so coming up on 9 years now.

The key, for me, is to separate my work space and equipment. Physical separation is best--put your work stuff somewhere you won't interact with it when you're not working, and leave it there.

You can do this even in a small space. I live in an apartment these days, since my divorce, and my workstation has been in two places.

1) It was in the corner of the dining area for about a year, maybe a year and a half. Given I'm only in that area when I sit down to eat at the table, it made for a good separation. And it was in walking distance to the fridge.

2) Now that my kid is doing distance learning, I had to move it into my bedroom. This is less ideal, but since I'm generally only in here to sleep, it still works.

And in both places, I turn the loving thing off when I'm not working. Work is for work hours. If I leave it on, I find my eyes going to the screens when I walk by, and I start getting dragged back in to stuff.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My $job-1 was semi-remote, with a team spread around the country, but all with an office they typically reported into. Local and team management was really good about WFH, as long as you were in the appropriate teleconferences and getting your poo poo done.

$job however has a hard-on for butts in seats. Since we're eSsEnTiAl, it's going to take a Covid surge in our local community for them to extend WFH any longer than absolutely necessary. Never you mind that nothing around the office is open, and 95% of the office can do 95% of their work from home.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
poo poo pissing me off today:
code:
Load average: 226648.38, 226642.77, 226629.84
All but 0.5ish of that is caused by Solarwinds agent :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How many thousands of seconds is your await? :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sheep posted:

poo poo pissing me off today:
code:
Load average: 226648.38, 226642.77, 226629.84
All but 0.5ish of that is caused by Solarwinds agent :v:

That's not necessarily an issue if you have a 25000 core server.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ConfusedUs posted:

I've WFH since November 2011, so coming up on 9 years now.

The key, for me, is to separate my work space and equipment. Physical separation is best--put your work stuff somewhere you won't interact with it when you're not working, and leave it there.

You can do this even in a small space. I live in an apartment these days, since my divorce, and my workstation has been in two places.

1) It was in the corner of the dining area for about a year, maybe a year and a half. Given I'm only in that area when I sit down to eat at the table, it made for a good separation. And it was in walking distance to the fridge.

2) Now that my kid is doing distance learning, I had to move it into my bedroom. This is less ideal, but since I'm generally only in here to sleep, it still works.

And in both places, I turn the loving thing off when I'm not working. Work is for work hours. If I leave it on, I find my eyes going to the screens when I walk by, and I start getting dragged back in to stuff.

Yeah, right now I have a computer room that I call my "office" but at the desk is both my gaming computer and my work computer. I'm using a dock to connect to the same set of computer monitors as my desktop (just switching between the two) but I'm seriously considering changing that up to make more disassociation between work and playing games. I still want to use that room, but I think I'm going to ditch the dock and then connect the notebook directly to one of the two monitors I have in this setup (my 4k non-gaming monitor). That way, I get more separation when sitting at the desk by virtue of having a different seating position. When work is done, I intend to turn off the notebook and stuff it in a drawer.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, right now I have a computer room that I call my "office" but at the desk is both my gaming computer and my work computer. I'm using a dock to connect to the same set of computer monitors as my desktop (just switching between the two) but I'm seriously considering changing that up to make more disassociation between work and playing games. I still want to use that room, but I think I'm going to ditch the dock and then connect the notebook directly to one of the two monitors I have in this setup (my 4k non-gaming monitor). That way, I get more separation when sitting at the desk by virtue of having a different seating position. When work is done, I intend to turn off the notebook and stuff it in a drawer.

My D&D group meets over Discord on Fridays now, and my only computer with a webcam is my work laptop.

It loving kills me to sit at this desk after work hours. I hate it so much.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I have a wfh setup for the past six years with four total monitors, two keyboards, mice, etc. Work laptop is docked (since I'm never bringing it back to the office, lololol) and personal is setup for music during the workday.

The different seating position for personal vs. work definitely makes a difference, even if it's just a swivel of the chair.

The real problem is keeping desk clutter down.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

The real problem is keeping desk clutter down.

Oh god this

The only reason my desk was clean at the office was because other people saw it

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I hate being right.

A while back I posted about a friend of mine who was completely being exploited by her boss. She works in graphics design and would be called at all hours by her boss who had some crazy idea and needed the design done “by tomorrow”.

So she’s stay up all night getting the thing done for boss, and then work her full day taking care of her regularly assigned workload.

“You are working 60-80 hours a week for your boss and are a salaried employee! You have been there twenty years with cost of living increases that they call ‘raises’. You are being taken advantage of!” I’d say.

“But I need this job!” she’d reply.

“You’ve been in the industry for twenty years. Among other things, you have organized and done all the art for a huge expo in Vegas spanning multiple hotels and properties. You need /A/ job but you don’t need /THIS/ job. Find work where they’ll pay you properly and treat you with respect!”

“But my boss /needs/ me!”

“Of course she does. She has her own personal indentured servant and you’ve proven that you’ll do anything for her.”

And on and on...

They laid her off on Friday with a “thank you for your twenty years. COVID, don’t you know.”

Four weeks severance.

My friend is shocked and stunned that this is how she is being treated after TwEnTy YeArs.

The whole situation is a poo poo sandwich.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The really depressing part is that I can think of four or five people that I personally know who had the exact same thing happened to them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

With probably very few exceptions, don't work anywhere for 20 years

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

90% of our VP’s and c-levels have been with our company for anywhere between 20 and 40 years.

There is a VP that had a department created for him, and has only two employees in it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

90% of our VP’s and c-levels have been with our company for anywhere between 20 and 40 years.

There is a VP that had a department created for him, and has only two employees in it.

The vp is part of a club none of us will be in.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 1, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

With probably very few exceptions, don't work anywhere for 20 years

Not without an equity stake or a generous pension.

So, yeah.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Bus and Crosswalk Captcha is slowly being replaced with Puzzle Captcha.
It's clever... but there was a better Bus Captcha floating around (not Google... CloudFlare?) that didn't require disabling all tracking protection... not a big deal but then half the time Puzzle Captcha tells me I put the puzzle piece in the hole too incorrectly...

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

That looks very small and also likely to turn into an oven on a warm day

I bet it is also absolutely freezing on a cold morning.
As for work from home setup. My wife and I have our PCs in a dedicated room. I put my work laptop on my desk near my PC but far enough I had to adjust my seat to switch between them. At end of day I would shut down work laptop and close the lid. Then I made a point of walking away and walking around the house, get a drink talk to my family etc before I would go back to the personal PC.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lol at getting on a PC past working hours. I don’t have time for that poo poo except for maybe paying bills. Not to mention I deal with technology every day, I don’t want to deal with it when I’m off the clock. My family is more important.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Lol at getting on a PC past working hours. I don’t have time for that poo poo except for maybe paying bills. Not to mention I deal with technology every day, I don’t want to deal with it when I’m off the clock. My family is more important.

My Plex setup has been broken for 2 months for exactly this reason

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

My Plex setup has been broken for 2 months for exactly this reason

Same but with my pihole.

The worst part is I have everything done in terraform save for the ansible playbook. It’s like, 4 hours of work tops but effort.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

devmd01 posted:

I guess it depends on what you like to do with your free time. Even with family and young kids, there is going to be time to fill doing something. If whatever those things are have nothing to do with a computer, all the power to you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lol if you have a family or productive hobbies instead of getting home and playing video games all night. Just lol.

...:smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lol if you have a family or productive hobbies instead of getting home and playing video games all night. Just lol.

:same:, but :unsmith: It it's what makes you happy, who gives a gently caress!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah who cares if you enjoy playing games? This idea that you need to be 'productive' all the time is a disease.

At the start of this covid lockdown there was an explosion in lovely magazine columns about how you 'should' be learning a new skill or a language or whatever, gently caress that. I used the time saved by not having to commute to work to wake up later.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You know what will fix this up really quick? Buying and then living in a fixer upper! Never-ending projects! Free time (and money) gone in a flash! Plus you'll learn valuable new skills like "dealing with lovely contractors" and "emergency roof repair"!

don't actually do this, honestly I wish I could just sit and binge Netflix all day every day right now

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Sirotan posted:

You know what will fix this up really quick? Buying and then living in a fixer upper! Never-ending projects! Free time (and money) gone in a flash! Plus you'll learn valuable new skills like "dealing with lovely contractors" and "emergency roof repair"!

don't actually do this, honestly I wish I could just sit and binge Netflix all day every day right now

I was supposed to redo my kitchen floor this weekend but Home Depot delayed shipping a box of tile. So guess what I’m doing in my evenings this week!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I asked my little Makita impact driver to do far too much by firing a load of screws into floorboards to stop them creaking, it worked and the tool seemed to cope fine

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually do have productive things I enjoy doing (working on my car) and other hobbies (target shooting but lol at going near a republican-dominated hobby when they're treating masks like a human rights violation), it was mostly a joke.

I have been playing a ton of video games since moving into this apartment, though. That and job applications, still waiting to hear back on one that would be a 50% raise, they said I'm in the top 3 choices and should hear back by Tuesday at the latest.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Video games have to split time with gunpla models and my airbrush. I also do some writing/game design, so I guess my secret is to do at least some stuff that gets things out of your head, rather than passively consuming media.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tomorrow will be 1 week with Aruba support to get them to fix a certificate error on our guest wifi... :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, an average office worker gets , what, 3 hours of actual work done in a day?

Pete - to the Bobs
"I'd say in a given week, I'd probably only do about 15 minutes of actual 'work'"

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 3, 2020