Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

fennesz posted:

For what it's worth, I have a Black Arabian and still prefer the Breton or Turkoman. I value my horse not bolting a mile away during a gunfight and not throwing me when I get within 100 feet of a wolf more than a little bit more speed or maneuverability.

It's very good, but I value the hidden bravery stat far more than anything else.

My Black Arabian is tough as nails:shrug: The only time I've been bucked since I got level 4 bonding, was against the legendary boar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
sure would be nice if they could get the little plants and animals sketches on the map to be persistent instead of erasing them after every single online session... some of us are getting old and our memory isn't what it used to be

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Breton's actually pretty small. Kladruber is the biggest role horse. I spend most of my time alternating between the black arabian and my big dumb pink ardennes, which is quite a contrast.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
I bought a dappled norfolk since its #2 on that tier list instead. Forgot how much bonding sucks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Freudian slippers posted:

My Black Arabian is tough as nails:shrug: The only time I've been bucked since I got level 4 bonding, was against the legendary boar.

Because Bravery doesn't exist.

Everyone has a story of "This horse is brave because I didn't get bucked off. But that horse isn't because it bucked me." and other people chiming in with "Mine has never bucked me off. It's great." blah blah blah. In other communities way farther up their own rear end about it, they're now saying "Well, surely this means that bravery is randomized for each individual horse. So you should buy a lot of Black Arabians until you get a brave one." :psyduck:

Occam's Razor this poo poo. Players play differently, and they play differently over time. And you don't use a lot of horses over your career. Maybe 2-3 unless you have a weird horse thing. It's confirmation bias and using other people's anecdotal evidence to support it.

ALSO

Zesty posted:

Even if Bravery existed, the most least brave horses can get through any situation by holding the calm button. Which means it should be absolutely last in your priority of stats.

Don't let "bravery" factor into your horse selection.

and that elite handling that Arabians get is loving sweet too. If people truly cared about how their horse behaves, the elite handling affects you every second you're using the horse.

All of this on top of the Black Arabian having the best overall stats.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 1, 2020

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Yes. But have you considered it’s small and ugly?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

spaced ninja posted:

Yes. But have you considered it’s small and ugly?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
stamina is basically irrelevant and speed only really matters over large distances so if bravery is fake too then just pick whichever horse has the sexiest rear end

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
are the online servers still terrible?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I've always read that whenever a horse is purchased they're assigned a random bravery stat within a given range. It's entirely possible I just rolled low.

I actually called out my arabian in the swamps earlier today just to give her another shot. I was ~100 feet away from a gator (it was not aggro'd) and was almost thrown as I dismounted to collect an item. Whereas both my Breton and Turkoman can just stomp all over wolf packs and will only throw me if I get them hung up on geometry so they stop moving.

Zesty posted:

and that elite handling that Arabians get is loving sweet too. If people truly cared about how their horse behaves, the elite handling affects you every second you're using the horse.

All of this on top of the Black Arabian having the best overall stats.

I've won fights against large posses simply because my horse is always on hand when I need to reposition. On the rare occasion I'm through my Breton, Turkoman and Mustang in a fight (if your horse gets downed, select another and it'll come instantly) and I'm down to my Arabian it's extremely noticeable how much more cowardly mine is. But like I said, I have my entire kit dedicated to excelling at open world PvP against multiple opponents, so I'm probably in the minority given how much I value bravery. And, like I said, I think my Arabian is more cowardly than most as well.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 1, 2020

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Is anyone else having an issue of predatory animals not spawning anymore? The only one I've seen is alligators. I haven't seen wolves, bears, cougars, or even snakes at all since the update. I've tried a few areas where I usually see them spawn, but haven't seen any. O'Creagh's run and south west of Manzanita Post were reliable spawn points for grizzlies, and the northern road between Manzanita and the Upper Montana River usually spawned multiple black bears, but I haven't seen anything yet. Did they massively tone down the rates of spawns, or am I just getting incredibly unlucky?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Repo Man posted:

Is anyone else having an issue of predatory animals not spawning anymore? The only one I've seen is alligators. I haven't seen wolves, bears, cougars, or even snakes at all since the update. I've tried a few areas where I usually see them spawn, but haven't seen any. O'Creagh's run and south west of Manzanita Post were reliable spawn points for grizzlies, and the northern road between Manzanita and the Upper Montana River usually spawned multiple black bears, but I haven't seen anything yet. Did they massively tone down the rates of spawns, or am I just getting incredibly unlucky?

I think whoever is stocking the camps you gotta bust up got them all.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

The Turkoman and Missouri Fox Trotter are both top tier horses that don't require any role ranks, have better bravery, and aren't weirdly tiny.

Arabians are overrated imo

I got a Turkoman because people said it was brave but it was always bucking me and acting like a pussy. My B-Arabian on the other hand gives no fucks whatsoever, I though it was going to throw me off once but it just wanted to stomp a gator to death

Arabian > Turkoman

Zesty posted:

Also its this really

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I finally bought a theme for my camp, and didn't realize that the tent selections all change as well. They did some really nice work with that.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Goddamn I forgot how fast the Outlaw Pass progresses when you're grinding poo poo out.

"Oh, you're chasing critters to fill out your book, for tracking/photgraphy/sedation/muderobbery? CHING!"

"Looting everything not nailed down for Nazar? CHING!"

"Shooting Lemoynes with arrows because someone else started the hideout, but you really want that egg? CHING!"

"Oh hey, the collectibles you just got from the last Outlaw Pass reward completed the daily? CHING!"

Just took the time to jack a canoe and headed to Monster Lizard Island and filled out my book/maxed out delicious Iguana juice doing the greenies. Also the Cuban Land Crabs, and the random item.

Also went south of Bolger Glade, found/sedated/harvested a panther (which ate my face when I tried to take a picture), respawned, found/photographed/murdered/skinned a *Florida* panther. Pain in the rear end kittehs... hope my cougar spawn south of Blackwater keeps producing.

In more somber news, Rockstar fixed the unlimited gator skin glitch with the hunting wagon. :smith: Was gonna spend all evening gatoring, now that critterspawns are fixed.

Aaaand 24 Teams 1 Cup starts tomorrow, too... :smithicide:

Almost forgot - bagged the first Snowy Egret needed for the trinket... and hosed up, forgot to save the plume when supplying Cripps. :argh:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Ygolonac posted:

In more somber news, Rockstar fixed the unlimited gator skin glitch with the hunting wagon. :smith: Was gonna spend all evening gatoring, now that critterspawns are fixed.

Did they ever give you that much in terms of resources anyway? I'm sure it was bugger all because of how easy they are to hunt (like farm animals)

I usually only went after them to stock up on big game meat

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Zesty posted:

I know, I've been reading your posts and was supporting your view :)

In other news, I just logged on and found that I can only carry 3-4 tonics max. I'm maxed out on all roles except naturalist and pretty sure I could carry like 20-30 of these yesterday? Has this happened to anyone else?

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 1, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I know, I've been reading your posts and was supporting your view :)

I got that. Just helping the others following along. :)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Install...?

Well. This is strange.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the trick to summoning legendaries?

Foehammer007 posted:

are the online servers still terrible?

I've had one disconnect with lovely wi-fi since the patch, so something happened. Animals are abundant now. Everyone is out putting needles in them. Except for the two women who suicide bombed me on horseback.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

SplitSoul posted:

What's the trick to summoning legendaries?

Do the missions from Harriet.

They can spawn in the open world but chances are very low.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

According to Some Post on the Internet the mission and free roam legendaries draw from different pools, so sooner or later you're going to have to get in the spawn camp queue.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I like Harriet today I learned the joy of hanging around near her tent killing animals for a daily, and hearing her in the distance wailing "MURDERER!"

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dragonstoned posted:

Did they ever give you that much in terms of resources anyway? I'm sure it was bugger all because of how easy they are to hunt (like farm animals)

I usually only went after them to stock up on big game meat

BGM, skins (when not despawning, which I'm now suspecting was betatesting/early rollout of the latest patches), and teef - full load of gator teeth was running me like 15%+ on the Crippsmeter.

Quality still matters, though.

More of an issue pre-patch was finding enough spawned to really do much. There's a campsite just south of Lakay that had 20 or so spawning (when they did) on land or in the water... and they wouldn't despawn if you stayed in the area. :getin: And the water was mostly shallow enough to allow skinning. :unsmigghh: And I *never* did the hunting wagon there because I'd spawn in/fast-travel, find the horde, and there's no loving way the wagon would spawn anywhere near. Kill all the land ones, kill the closest water one, skin land while waiting for the others to surface, repeat while slogging skins to camp. Pure OCD grind, but I got *so* many sales out of it.

Now it's "my, that's a lot of gators" across most of the swamps, and industrial extermination since you can carry like 30 teeth I think.

FOR THE EMPEROR TAXIDERMIST, SUFFER NOT THE XENOS WATER LIZARD TO LIVE!

Have yet to verify modmenu shitbirds in any of my postpatch games. Luck, I'm sure.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I tried shooting a guy today who wouldn’t take damage. Just standing still.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Only ran into dicks so far, and just once. They'd trank'd a cow at Emerald Ranch, harvested, I did the same and got my camera out. One ran in and posed with the cow, the other went off to the side and msgdumped my defensive rear end. <shrug> Parley, respawn, go off to find deer variants to stamp my book. Csme back later, they were gone.

Dudes at Shady Belle didn't give a poo poo about me popping in, killing secesh assholes, hogtieing the leader that they'd let go, and dumping him in the river. Or looting the egg/card/ring, I think it was.

Purchase mass quantities in the catalog is nice now, for provisions. "Buy max carried" beats hell out of trying to slam 20-30 before the game starts gagging. (Adding in a numerical option, especially for sellingvat the butcher, woulf be lovely, too.)

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
Now that I got to 20 in Naturalist and already turned in all the legendary parts to Gus in case I want more hats later, first thing I do is get sprayed by Harriet then wait a bit and take on a legendary mission when I log in. 40+ materials to Cripp every time. Just toss them in the hunting cart after your mission. Making BANK.

The elk is 43 and bison is 58. Do those 2 one after the other and Cripps is full for 15 mins of work.

antisocial86 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 1, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think one of my biggest disappointments with RDR2 is its shootout mode. It could be nostalgia, but I remember RDR1 team deathmatches being great fun, while in RDR2 they feel abysmal.

Ignoring all the outside factors that weigh the competitive gamemodes down, like the leveling system that rewards abilities and guns that ensure that more experienced players have an in-game advantage, or that they charge you for bullets at a rate that drains your actual winnings, the shooting just feels bad.

It might be bad netcode or connections, but PvP shooting feels really floaty, with some shots not connecting, and it being unclear whether another player is actually dead or not. On top of that, for a game about cowboys revolvers feel like the weakest weapons.

I dunno what my point is here, I guess I'm just disappointed.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

RDR1 sanctioned pvp was better, but open world was worse. Theres no jet fighter speed zebra Buffalo brazilians to deal with

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oberst
May 24, 2010

The issue now is level locked good ammos

It is extremely good to be able to easily terrorize and 1v4 low level pubbies with a level 100+ character like you're a legendary gunfighter

Blowing up that trader wagon as they're almost to their target and running off with 1 or 2 of their bags - thats perfection

Oberst fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 1, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Oberst posted:

RDR1 sanctioned pvp was better, but open world was worse. Theres no jet fighter speed zebra Buffalo brazilians to deal with

I completely agree with this. The showdown environments were better and they were actual showdowns.

The only thing I liked about RDR1 open world were the hardcore lobbies. I detonated many a man chasing my horse with well timed TNT.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

Purchase mass quantities in the catalog is nice now, for provisions. "Buy max carried" beats hell out of trying to slam 20-30 before the game starts gagging. (Adding in a numerical option, especially for sellingvat the butcher, woulf be lovely, too.)

Yes and yes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Zesty posted:

I tried shooting a guy today who wouldn’t take damage. Just standing still.

Yeah, mod menus are back already. Saw someone in a round of Salvage last night that was ramming everyone on their horse and taking zero damage or impact from it at all. Everyone got knocked off their horse and their horses would go down, but not them.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Cursed myself earlier, because modmenu shitbirds decided to gently caress with HORF. Horse disowned, swapped to a different one, disowned, back to the ori...disowned, and ragdolled, locked in place and I went ahead and did some foot-trafficking in gators snd gator accessories.

There are new hair accessories at the barber! Ribbons, jeweled barrettes, and...something else flowers or something. Barrettes require gold, do you have some? <gunshot> "No, will lead do?" (Might not be the same for male characters, but gently caress that, me and my dreads are stylin'.)

There's a headband at Nazar's, but I haven't been arsed to track her down yet.

So, the Dane dingus needed for the buck trinket (higher-quality pelt chance) is now a random spawn/cycle-locked, dammit...

Outlaw Pass: "Oh hi, you leveled some more, have a package or two or random collectibles!"

So now I have all the trinkets. :whatup:

Emerald Ranch, I was busy ropin'n'ripping the livestock for perfect pelts and stamps, and some passerby dimes me out. No skin left behind yo, but the laws got there as I rolled up the last one. :argh: Crouched, not quite behind a wall in the sheep pen... I guess the marshal doesn't like sheep, because he looked right at, and

cleared the scene. :iiam:

Bouncing around clearing hideouts/revenooers/poachers as MurderHawkeye with just the bow is disgusting. :unsmigghh:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Doublepost for bugs: skinning gators apprently counts for "loot collectibles from enemies" dailies. Happened twice now.

Not sure why, but trying to drink a Carribean Rum so I could pick up another one, resulted in sucking down various other antique alcohols. :smithicide:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fun fact, you can't really vaporize a horse with a directed energy weapon because it would explode before it could be heated thoroughly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When you hear this sound you know that death is near...

https://twitter.com/BiodiversidadeB/status/1289597219419631616?s=20

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

https://twitter.com/BiodiversidadeB/status/1289597219419631616?s=20

well, that just freaked the gently caress out of my cats

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Why the hell isn't there a sedative arrow? I'd rather use my new bow than the lovely varmint rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
The bull moose I was pumping full of drugs decided to swim out to the middle of Owanjila Lake before passing out, despite my best efforts to keep it close to shore. So I had to play a rousing game of 'push the carcass across the lake before my horse's stamina drains and also before this dumb moose wakes up'. Don't recommend that game, but at least I got the sample and a picture of the thing once it woke up.

Dick Trauma posted:

:3: :3: :3: