Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When I was very little I would just play Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout for NES over and over because that was the only game I could beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

haveblue posted:

or the amount of time they have available to spend on them

The world of video games are different now. Whenever my 7 or 9 year old get stuck on something in a game, they just download some other lovely shlock game from the app store.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

owl_pellet posted:

What is everyone playing this weekend? I am recently off of platting GoTsu and then I beat Modern Warfare Remastered last night as a quick palate cleanser. Not sure what to play next. I'm thinking one of the games I started, got some trophies in, then stopped partway through for whatever reason:

Days Gone
Everybody's Golf
God of War 3
Iconoclasts
Journey
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
Shadow of the Colossus

Days Gone is probably out as I have some open world fatigue after GoTsu. Also I would like a game with a definite end so MHW and Everybody's Golf are also probably out. If you have an opinion tell me what it is! Also, you know, what you're playing atm.

E: To be clear, I beat Journey once, but it was so fun and short and unique that I would like to play it again someday.

Lots and lots of Bloodborne. I started off right at Father G yesterday evening and managed to get through BSB, Amelia, and the witches sometime in the wee hours of the morning. I get it now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Everybody's Golf does have a definite end. You can finish the campaign and get a big ending and a credits roll but there's also a ton of post-game stuff you can do + DLC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

owl_pellet posted:

What is everyone playing this weekend?

The Surge. It's pretty janky but I'm having fun with it, at least when I'm not accidentally dodging into bottomless pits during catwalk fights.

quote:

Iconoclasts

Play this, it's short and surprisingly engaging for an indie platformer that's secretly a JRPG

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 1, 2020

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Policenaut posted:

Everybody's Golf does have a definite end. You can finish the campaign and get a big ending and a credits roll but there's also a ton of post-game stuff you can do + DLC.

I still have a sealed copy of this game, how is it difficulty-wise? Hot Shots on the Vita was fun, but the difficulty seem to ramp up early on, making it hard to progress and enjoy the rest of the game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

it is a five year old game

*Vikar Jerome will remember that*

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

owl_pellet posted:

The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time for the Ultra Nintendo 64 Entertainment System.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm just finishing up Code Vein, which is surprisingly a lot better than it was back in beta. It's a tad on the easy side given that the standard is to give you an AI partner and there's a lot of streamlining like not needing a magic equip to use spells but I'm very much enjoying it, and it's connection to the God Eater franchise was a wonderful left field twist that I can't wait to see them build upon for later games.

I'm also playing Skater XL, which is very chill, and I imported the Virtual On Masterpiece remaster trilogy from the Japanese PSN so I'm fiddling with that off and on. VO rules.

BisterdDave posted:

I still have a sealed copy of this game, how is it difficulty-wise? Hot Shots on the Vita was fun, but the difficulty seem to ramp up early on, making it hard to progress and enjoy the rest of the game.

It's similar in that each of the campaign courses is designed to teach you specific elements of golf and the game's systems and if you don't acclimate to them then you're gonna have a hard time. Like the first area is a standard city golf course so you can grip it and rip it wherever you want, but then you get courses that go 'okay you have to remember the ball bounces and rolls down hills' and 'the wind is really important and if you're shooting uphill into the wind that 320 yard drive will actually be like 240 yards.' There isn't a whole lot of what I'd call outright bullshit (I've enclosed one such example) but a lot of it is the game really, really wanting you to understand how it works and if you don't pick up on that then it'll be harder. The campaign does some work in teaching you ideas and specific shots you can pull off, because as always Hot Shots has some magic involved.

https://twitter.com/Dr_Drecula/status/1011430925509459968?s=20

I'd like to call bullshit but then again I'm sure the small child is angry about me doing a perfect skip across the lake for a landing on the green too so we'll call it even. You can do some wacky stuff when you get really good at the game, like I've got a couple clips here of me doing some wild and ridiculous poo poo. Like for example here's one of me driving the ball to a different hole and using a better vantage point to get 2 on a Par 5.

https://twitter.com/Dr_Drecula/status/1008832529791705088

https://twitter.com/Dr_Drecula/status/1013212746115100672

I really love this goofy British Japanese golf game. It's easily one of my top 10 favorite PS4 exclusives. There's a bunch of DLC courses that are pretty cheap you can pick up that are easier too and act as open world remakes of original Hot Shots 1&2 courses, along with super challenge ones if you're down with that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Im gonna finish Sushi Ghost this weekend. Lethal A3 has been awesome. I really think all my complaints about the difficulty have been handled.

For action video games, the greatest praise I can offer is that high level technical play makes it look easy on the screen. That's how lethal lands for me. I get in and lay waste to the camp and as I build momentum and do cool Ghost poo poo, i get cocky, and maybe i gently caress up, and suddenly BAM I'm surrounded and nearly dead or spamming kunai and resolve and smoke bombs to survive. When I'm crushing it I look awesome to behold, but one wrong move spells disaster. That's a good balance.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

Got into the third area of Days Gone and these zombie birds are a horrible joke

Yeah they suck

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

owl_pellet posted:

https://twitter.com/Macaluso/status/1289626721466093570

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I finished RDR2 so I guess I'll be playing some Ace Combat 7 now

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

So I felt the epilogue of RDR2 was kinda meh. I never played the first game so idk if I would have had more appreciation for it and the very end when Dutch just shoots Micah and then just walks off and disappears was just kinda like what?? okay... Would have much preferred it if the game just ending watching that sunrise :smith:

But i suppose they had to tie it into the first game somehow

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Inspector Hound posted:

I genuinely can't decide if 10 year old me would have found bloodborne a brick wall or if I would have communed with it and become an expert at all the little glitches and kinks

I had my 13 year old try it on his 13th birthday this past weekend saying, “this is your first dark souls game it’s a rite of passage.” He bounced off it extremely hard (it’s not Minecraft pvp).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

fridge corn posted:

So I felt the epilogue of RDR2 was kinda meh. I never played the first game so idk if I would have had more appreciation for it and the very end when Dutch just shoots Micah and then just walks off and disappears was just kinda like what?? okay... Would have much preferred it if the game just ending watching that sunrise :smith:

But i suppose they had to tie it into the first game somehow

The epilogue is completely unnecessary and diminishes the end to Arthurs story imo. The gaps it fills between games didnt really need filling to begin with.
On the other hand Marston is a cool dude and you get access to more of the world.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope that Elden Ring goes back to a more DS1 and 2 style of game, slower and more methodical with more involved and constant multiplayer connection. I'll probably skip it otherwise

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope that Elden Ring goes back to a more DS1 and 2 style of game, slower and more methodical with more involved and constant multiplayer connection. I'll probably skip it otherwise

Considering that the faster their games become the more popular they end up being I sincerely doubt this cats going back in the bag

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

Considering that the faster their games become the more popular they end up being I sincerely doubt this cats going back in the bag

I know, but I can dream

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope that Elden Ring goes back to a more DS1 and 2 style of game, slower and more methodical

It's gonna make Sekiro look like a turn based strategy game

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

owl_pellet posted:

Probably more RDR2. This might be the best game I've ever played. This may sound dumb but my favorite thing is the incredible amount of attention they paid to the wildlife to make sure its all as true to reality as possible. I'm a big ol' bird nerd so hearing sandhill cranes calling in the distance and then being able to actually find them because it wasn't just an ambient background noise blew me away. Coyotes actually sound and act like coyotes, which sound different than foxes and wolves, eagles sound like eagles and not red tail hawks, etc. Its great. I've spent hours trotting around on my horse just looking at animals with binoculars. There's so many little details they included to make the wildlife act alive, like scavengers converging on carcasses or bald eagles fishing the river, its really amazing. Just the fact that nearly all of the wildlife runs away from you instead of suicide rushing the large mammal riding an even larger mammal is miles ahead of just about any other game I've played that has animals in it. Its so cool. I mean its also really cool to be a wild west gunfighter and train robber too, but yeah, animals.

Its actually kind of interesting to me that people think of RDR2 as grand theft horse but to me it kind of feels like an anti-GTA in a lot of ways. Its much slower and more meditative, the wanted mechanic rewards careful planning of crimes and getaways, its much quieter where GTA is more bombastic, you're not constantly switching horses on the fly like cars, etc. I mean, I guess you can play it as a rampaging psycho like GTA but it doesn't feel right in this game, to me. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. I haven't played a GTA since San Andreas so maybe there's a lot more similarities than differences in 4 and 5.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's gonna make Sekiro look like a turn based strategy game

In Elden Ring you control two characters at the same time. They are attached by rings like in Knuckles Chaotix, hence Elden Ring.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm trying to finish TLOU2. It's a long game!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I would generally like From games better if they focused more on the atmospheric world building and boss encounters, less on everything trying to kill you every 10 feet. Like maybe there were only 16 things that tried to kill you in an otherwise desolate and haunted world.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

When I was very little I would just play Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout for NES over and over because that was the only game I could beat.

as an adult i play Buster Busts Loose because it's an actual dope rear end platformer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgI_joIjPo&t=694s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think I would generally like From games better if they focused more on the atmospheric world building and boss encounters, less on everything trying to kill you every 10 feet. Like maybe there were only 16 things that tried to kill you in an otherwise desolate and haunted world.

Give Ueda a FROM game :yeshaha:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Attitude Indicator posted:

The epilogue is completely unnecessary and diminishes the end to Arthurs story imo. The gaps it fills between games didnt really need filling to begin with.
On the other hand Marston is a cool dude and you get access to more of the world.

I disagree on the first point, I think it works really well as a true epilogue to Arthur's story. Over the course of his story Arthur comes to realize that this outlaw lifestyle is a road to ruin, and ultimately he sacrifices himself to give John and his family a chance to escape it. Because the epilogue is structured the way it is, we get to see that Arthur's sacrifice worked: John and his family got out and built a life for themselves. I liked that we got to see John working the farm and proposing to Abigail and all of the normal life type of things Arthur wanted for him. We also get to visit with some people and see how Arthur's actions affected them (the widow he taught to hunt, various members of the gang, the Native American chief, Sadie, etc). Now of course anyone who played the first game or just watched the credits all the way through knows this life doesn't last very long, but that doesn't diminish Arthur's sacrifice.

And ultimately, the house-building montage makes the epilogue worthwhile, full-stop.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Monster Hunter is right there waiting for you.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It took me 8 tries to beat Rom the Spider, that was a hard fight. A ton of moving parts and I had to be very careful not to get greedy and bait his close range attacks before getting in just a few hits. In between killing spiders of course. I felt loving crazy elated when I got the final hit in.

Also I just got this augur of abretius thing from a chest, and the Ludwig holy blade which I think might be better than the saw spear. I don’t have 18 arcane for the abretius and I don’t really know what it does, should I so I can use these weird hunter tools? I have several others. Beast roar and an empty phantasm Shell. Are these “arcane weapons”?

I also just mid rom fights realized maybe I should be upgrading my SKILL level and not just strength and realized the saw spear used skill too. I didn’t know what the stat was for. I farmed you 6 or 7 levels in it so it’s at least 15 now. I feel like an idiot. My vitality is 30 and strength is 23, arcane and bloodtinge 9, endurance 18.

Plot wise... Now I’m just.. I don’t even know what the gently caress is going on. I think I get what’s happening with the moon and the baby screams cutscene, but nothing else since getting grabbed by my new friend (holy poo poo new friend was a shock to my system when I saw him). I mean what the actual gently caress??

I’ll spoiler it for Vikar

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Ludwig's sword owns bones. It's all I've used since unlocking it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Playing Demon's Souls for the first time, god drat this game likes to make the run back to a boss that killed you a chore. Like multiple minutes of running past a dozen enemies.

I made a magic character, too, which may have been a mistake. It's powerful enough, but it has kind of turned the game into a poo poo third-person shooter.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Give Ueda a FROM game :yeshaha:

:hmmyes:
I’ve been saying this since I got halfway thru BB

Also, they seem to be buds irl

Also this is cute, but unfortunately he shuts down the possibility of a collab :(
https://www.uol.com.br/start/ultimas-noticias/2019/10/11/start-bgs-entrevista-hidetaka-miyazaki-dark-souls.htm

quote:

START: You've already revealed that ICO was the game that made you want to make games. Do you ever intend to work with Fumito Ueda? Or have you ever talked to him about it?

Miyazaki: I love ICO. Not only ICO, but I'm a big fan of Ueda-san's other games and have personal contact with him. I have a lot of respect, and we are friends. But when it comes to creating games together, I don't think it will ever happen, because to develop a game, it's better to have just one director. So the game is first developed with the director's creative vision. I have my vision, and Ueda-San has his. Probably if we happen to work together, I wouldn't be in the position of director. If Ueda-san were in the leading role, showing his vision, I would be working more on the technical, the planning side. But what I want right now is not that. Also, I believe that making a game with two directors requires two people with very close ideas, and I don't think we both have that. So I guess the result would not be good. That said, if I were to work in a more technical part, surely Ueda-san would be on the list of people I would like to work with.

START: You are part of a new generation of Japanese game creators. Besides, you can also cite Yoko Taro as another name that has gained relevance in recent years. What do you think about this generation?

Miyazaki: I have a curiosity about Yoko Taro because he likes a lot of Fumito Ueda-san, and we are rivals in this subject. I want to be more fan of Ueda-san than he is, and I don't give up on that (laughs).

Also they did a talk together, p interesting read https://translate.googleusercontent...-Twz3LUfn3pt4yA

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I want a Swery-Miyazaki collaboration. The town is infested with red phantoms at night, Francis York Morgan must do battle

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Blind Rasputin posted:

It took me 8 tries to beat Rom the Spider, that was a hard fight. A ton of moving parts and I had to be very careful not to get greedy and bait his close range attacks before getting in just a few hits. In between killing spiders of course. I felt loving crazy elated when I got the final hit in.

Also I just got this augur of abretius thing from a chest, and the Ludwig holy blade which I think might be better than the saw spear. I don’t have 18 arcane for the abretius and I don’t really know what it does, should I so I can use these weird hunter tools? I have several others. Beast roar and an empty phantasm Shell. Are these “arcane weapons”?

I also just mid rom fights realized maybe I should be upgrading my SKILL level and not just strength and realized the saw spear used skill too. I didn’t know what the stat was for. I farmed you 6 or 7 levels in it so it’s at least 15 now. I feel like an idiot. My vitality is 30 and strength is 23, arcane and bloodtinge 9, endurance 18.

Plot wise... Now I’m just.. I don’t even know what the gently caress is going on. I think I get what’s happening with the moon and the baby screams cutscene, but nothing else since getting grabbed by my new friend (holy poo poo new friend was a shock to my system when I saw him). I mean what the actual gently caress??

Yeah, arcane stuff = magic, that use bullets for MP for some reason. Arcane is basically only worth it if you go all in and then you don’t even get any of the Hunter tools until that point in the game. But if you want you can level up arcane to 15, so you can use the empty phantasm shell which is like an arcane buff for your weapon, and doesn’t scale with your arcane level, so its not bad if you only need to level up arcane a few times.

Yeah, this is when the game goes full on batshit, it’s really dope.

Gort posted:

I want a Swery-Miyazaki collaboration. The town is infested with red phantoms at night, Francis York Morgan must do battle

In theory hell ya, but actually I don’t want Miyazaki to die from like, stress/high blood pressure trying to come to a compromise as far as writing/story with Swery.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 1, 2020

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ll spoiler it for Vikar

Some weapons scale damage with strength, some scale with skill. The weapon screen lists a rating on each weapon on what it scales with. I think the Holy Blade scales with both? I made a strength build and the sword served me well.

The tonitrus is a weapon that will become electrified when you transform it, the damage scales with your arcane stat. Certain enemies, usually there pale and tentacled ones, are weak to electric attacks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just finished TLOU2

Spoilers obvz, don't roll over the big spoiler tags unless you wanna be spoiled!!!

Overall, very good. The Abby campaign was 10/10 I loving HATED the ending(s). Jesus christ, hire an editor or something. The stench of Return of the King was insane.

Seeing Abby at the end was repulsive, I kept trying to let her kill Ellie. I hated Ellie's guts so much and kept waiting for her to get her comeuppance.
gently caress Ellie!!!!

Anyway, very well made game. Made me feel real emotions, which was cool!

A lot to process.

gently caress ELLIE!!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Some weapons scale damage with strength, some scale with skill. The weapon screen lists a rating on each weapon on what it scales with. I think the Holy Blade scales with both? I made a strength build and the sword served me well.

The tonitrus is a weapon that will become electrified when you transform it, the damage scales with your arcane stat. Certain enemies, usually there pale and tentacled ones, are weak to electric attacks.

Yes, and there’s a hidden attribute called ‘Righteousness’ that basically means kin enemies are weak to them, like how serrated weapons are strong against beasts. You can tell by looking at the weapon’s stat page and it’ll have a number, usually 100, under the little pictures of what looks like a slug/phantasm and a wolf/beast. Ludwig’s Holy Blade is a quality weapon, in addition to being one of the only weapons, maybe the only, that does both righteous and serrated damage in both forms.

Just finished TLOU2

Spoilers obvz, don't roll over the big spoiler tags unless you wanna be spoiled!!!

Overall, very good. The Abby campaign was 10/10 I loving HATED the ending(s). Jesus christ, hire an editor or something. The stench of Return of the King was insane.

Seeing Abby at the end was repulsive, I kept trying to let her kill Ellie. I hated Ellie's guts so much and kept waiting for her to get her comeuppance.
gently caress Ellie!!!!

Anyway, very well made game. Made me feel real emotions, which was cool!

A lot to process.

gently caress ELLIE!!

Same, I was like, you’re not actually going to make me push square, but of course you have to and if you don’t do anything you get a game over. like drat the lack of subtlety since you can barely recognize Abby, and the way she acts/moves is also unrecognizable compared to the state she’s in in the second half of the game. I think they could’ve just done that bit in a way less obvious way and I think it wouldn’t have been too long, if anything it was bits and pieces of the first three days that I felt could’ve been cut first, and usually I’m all for games being shorter rather than longer. But yeah, very much team Abby over Ellie, as everyone should be.. Yeah idk, I didn’t like the way that bit at the endwas done but I did like the area and the gameplay, basically didn’t mind any of it until that point.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 1, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

What is everyone playing this weekend? I am recently off of platting GoTsu and then I beat Modern Warfare Remastered last night as a quick palate cleanser. Not sure what to play next. I'm thinking one of the games I started, got some trophies in, then stopped partway through for whatever reason:

Days Gone
Everybody's Golf
God of War 3
Iconoclasts
Journey
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
Shadow of the Colossus

Days Gone is probably out as I have some open world fatigue after GoTsu. Also I would like a game with a definite end so MHW and Everybody's Golf are also probably out. If you have an opinion tell me what it is! Also, you know, what you're playing atm.

E: To be clear, I beat Journey once, but it was so fun and short and unique that I would like to play it again someday.

I loved Iconoclasts. cool little Metroid game.

this weekend I will be Ghosting in Tsushima, probably, with some The Last of Us Factions thrown in and NHL 20 since hockey is starting again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

Same, I was like, you’re not actually going to make me push square, but of course you have to and if you don’t do anything you get a game over. like drat the lack of subtlety since you can barely recognize Abby, and the way she acts/moves is also unrecognizable compared to the state she’s in in the second half of the game. I think they could’ve just done that bit in a way less obvious way and I think it wouldn’t have been too long, if anything it was bits and pieces of the first three days that I felt could’ve been cut first, and usually I’m all for games being shorter rather than longer. But yeah, very much team Abby over Ellie, as everyone should be.. Yeah idk, I didn’t like the way that bit at the endwas done but I did like the area and the gameplay, basically didn’t mind any of it until that point.

100% with you on all this.

Next up, I'm gonna play Days Gone!!!

I need a palate cleanser. TLOU2 was so good! But I feel so weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It wouldn’t work so well as a palate cleanser given the zombies