Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Arivia posted:

How do you think Carolina would feel if Ayres won an elimination game for NYR?

A dude they like in a scenario that, while unfortunate overall, lets them keep a potentially maximal number of draft picks? It ain't like the Rangers are winning this year regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Ah, that makes sense.

Overall most penalties and stoppages in hockey are designed to force the defensive team to gain possession of the puck rather than just hack at the puck. As I'm sure you've seen, sustained possession by one team for any length of time is rare. Control of the puck jumps back and forth frequently, and if icing and over the glass didn't exist the moment a player got the puck in their own zone they'd just unload it down the ice to take the pressure off.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Rangers are playing better offense!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Rangers are playing better offense!

Zibanejad still looking MIA

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Levitate posted:

Zibanejad still looking MIA

I have no idea who that is!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aho :siren:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Jupiter Jazz posted:

The short Rangers player with the really long hair. He's pretty good, so him not doing his thing is dramatically impacting the team's performance.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What became of the DeAngelo - Lemieux podcast?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jupiter Jazz posted:

#93 Mika Zibanejad the Rangers' 2nd best forward behind their star Artemi Panarin. Zibanejad is the goal scorer, Panarin is the playmaker. Panarin is one of the top three or four players on earth and was nominated for MVP this year. Zibanejad benefits a lot from playing with him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grassy gnoll posted:

The short Rangers player with the really long hair. He's pretty good, so him not doing his thing is dramatically impacting the team's performance.

he's not short

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

this is some terrible rear end "playoff" reffing

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Draft Kings still exists?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Levitate posted:

he's not short

not chara = short, tbh, especially to new viewers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

Zibanejad benefits a lot from playing with him.

not even vaguely true, they barely played on the same line all year long. Zibanejad mainly played with Buchnevich and Kreider, Panarin played with Strome and Fast

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Draft Kings still exists?

Yeah I remember the 1 month of daily fantasy being fun before professionals made it impossible to win

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

not even vaguely true, they barely played on the same line all year long. Zibanejad mainly played with Buchnevich and Kreider, Panarin played with Strome and Fast

I thought they were linemates. I stand corrected.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Brendan Smith sucks rear end

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I have no idea why I thought Zbad was short, but sure enough he's 6'2".

It would be rad if Carolina could keep their friggin' hands to themselves for like, a minute at a time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Is :newnhl: still a thing?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i wonder what the effect of no crowd is having on the officials because they're calling a regular season game

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

I thought they were linemates. I stand corrected.

Basically Zibanejad is an amazing player that probably deserves to be thought of as one of the top centers in the league but he's also had a few injury troubles keeping him from putting up the total points that might make that more visible.

but so far against the Islanders and today he's been bad and the Rangers top players don't look good at all and Carolina's top players are outplaying them

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
note that for the rangers just being here is a victory in and of itself so like they don't have any real expectations to live up to. they're good guys and can go far but not yet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Basically Zibanejad is an amazing player that probably deserves to be thought of as one of the top centers in the league but he's also had a few injury troubles keeping him from putting up the total points that might make that more visible.

but so far against the Islanders and today he's been bad and the Rangers top players don't look good at all and Carolina's top players are outplaying them

Boy did Ottawa gently caress that trade up

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

poo poo post in the GDT here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935109

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

corn on the cop posted:

i wonder what the effect of no crowd is having on the officials because they're calling a regular season game

This isn’t the playoffs yet.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So since the Hurricanes went with their ugly black thirds they have to wear them for the rest of the playoffs, right?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Montréal Canadiens will draft Alexis Lafrenière

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Edward Mass posted:

The post-season starts in :siren: 10 hours :siren: when the Rangers play the Hurricanes, and there’s no thread yet. Here’s my predictions for the Qualifying Round, as I also saw no red X thread:

Penguins in 3
Rangers in 5
Panthers in 5
Maple Leafs in 4

Oilers in 3
Coyotes in 4
Canucks in 3
Jets in 5

Hadn't realized it returns today. Without any knowledge of ongoing games:

Pens in 3
Canes in 4
Isles in 5
Jackets in 5

Oilers in 3
Coyotes in 4
Wild in 5
Jets in 5

Stay safe everyone.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

yellowcar posted:

The Montréal Canadiens Pittsburgh Penguins will draft Alexis Lafrenière

:getin:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

This is the worst timeline, so checks out

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
This was my first live game and it was incredible.

Set play of basketball, the spacing/back and forth of soccer, the machismo of football, dexterity and precision of baseball.

I loved it. Go Rangers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tarbrush posted:

This is the worst timeline, so checks out

Oilers aren't out of the running yet. That would be so much worse.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Were any teams along the East Coast in the running to be a hub? I don't think so off-hand, but Ft. Lauderdale, Raleigh, Washington, Philadelphia, NYC metro, or Boston would've been interesting choices over the next few days had they been picked. :stonklol:

Please no.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

So since the Hurricanes went with their ugly black thirds they have to wear them for the rest of the playoffs, right?

Considering the league goes out of its way to not consider these games a part of the playoffs, no, they probably can change their uniform for the 1st round.

Do I think they will? No.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Set play of basketball, the spacing/back and forth of soccer, the machismo of football, dexterity and precision of baseball.

I loved it. Go Rangers.

Yeah hockey's great! And it's hopefully going to actually go okay, since it's got reasonable safety precautions in a relatively safe place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I loved it. Go Rangers.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/456616952153128960

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Is overtime that unpopular?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jupiter Jazz posted:

No, no. He's saying the opposite.

Watching overtime playoff hockey will make your heart feel like you're on a motorcycle airdrop on coke.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Playoff overtime is notable because it can last for hours. It's unlimited 20-minute periods until somebody scores, and as you might imagine, it can get unbearably exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's great when it's two teams you don't care about. When it's your own team it's all the enjoyment of suffering a giant anxiety attack every eight seconds for a technically endless stretch of time.