Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Lobok posted:

Does the horn summon reinforcements from outside the camp or is it just for alerting the rest of the camp?

It alerts other enemies near the horn blower. It's actually pretty comical to kill the entire camp but one guy. He sees his dead buddies and blows the horn . . . but no one comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I had to take a two day break because I played so much the tendons in my left hand were cramped and screaming at me.

I think it’s from the parry hover-finger.

Still love my Kage. :hai:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

e:do patrols disappear when you beat the game? I've been roaming around the beach south of Drowned Man's Shore practicing standoffs, there seem to be patrols all over the place there and it seems like a good place for dicking around

Patrols, straw hat and bandit encounters still happen after endgame.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

I had to take a two day break because I played so much the tendons in my left hand were cramped and screaming at me.

I think it’s from the parry hover-finger.

Still love my Kage. :hai:

hah the back of my left hand is all hosed up since i got the game too. I think that might actually be why. At least i have the platinum now and it is free to heal.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Generic miniboss spoilers

https://youtu.be/G-D1sjQpHlE

My first lethal mode duel, took me a while without any Resolve

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Just platted the game. And I chose to kill Shimura. gently caress that old geezer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
People that have beaten the game did anyone actually spare shimura lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I did. But I have regrets

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

JBP posted:

Yes, I decided I liked the red armor and that post-game house better

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Magus42 posted:

Yes, I decided I liked the red armor and that post-game house better

What's the difference!?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

JBP posted:

What's the difference!?

Kill Shimura: https://i.imgur.com/anIS3Ko.jpg

Spare Shimura: https://i.imgur.com/seAdUaR.jpg

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That would be much more useful if one screenshot wasn’t in the middle of the night so you can’t see poo poo, tbh.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
You can see what there is to see just fine. It's a lot of boring nothing (IMO); it does have a hot spring though.

But if you want, I added 2 more of that one and 1 more of the other.

Kill Shimura: https://i.imgur.com/anIS3Ko.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HFkuvpD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y86BeQu.jpg

Spare Shimura: https://i.imgur.com/seAdUaR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RWyvzMw.jpg

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 1, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some random screens I've taken over the past week:

(whoops, left the menu open on that one)

Selfie time with Uncle Shimura:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

JBP posted:

Yes, I don't see why Jin would humour his last remaining family member's request for an honour killing. As Jin said, honour died back on that beach Uncle, there's no need for me to play along with your ridiculous code any more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bland posted:

Yes, I don't see why Jin would humour his last remaining family member's request for an honour killing. As Jin said, honour died back on that beach Uncle, there's no need for me to play along with your ridiculous code any more.

I was more like this dude is never going to get over it so better give him what he wants.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Bland posted:

Yup, this was my reasoning.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Monolith. posted:

Yup, this was my reasoning.

E: all major spoilers for endgame stuff

This is one point where maybe they could have done a little more to align the players viewpoint with the "real" Jin, but...

I found it to actually be a really hard choice that I spent like 5 minutes thinking about and my wife refused to help. While throughout the game he's a dick, they do set up that all throughout childhood he really was a good guy to Jin, and adopting someone else as your heir is not a small deal in a feudal society.

Plus when I considered how Jin actually treats him throughout the game I think it's a harder decision than it seems for the player. Even after everything Jin's letter to his uncle still carried feelings of comradeship and family.

In the end Shimura is still the only thing Jin has left, it's not a trivial thing to give up.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Bland posted:

It was pretty straightforward reasoning for me too. I didn't want Jin to have to kill the only family he's got, even if circumstances had made them enemies. Also it felt like the natural culmination of the rejection of his samurai honor that the plot had steadily been building to. (I also like the red mask more, it goes great with the red Sakai armor and a kensei hat.)

I guess if they make a sequel, they'll probably handwave the choice by saying the shogun made Lord Shimura commit seppuku for his failure if you let him live.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Some random screens I've taken over the past week:

(whoops, left the menu open on that one)

Selfie time with Uncle Shimura:

yesssssss

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
As regard to the finale talk:

The way I saw it, almost every single major side character's arc is all about how they lost what precious little family they had left, and how it basically destroyed them. Yuna and Taka, Norio and his brother, the entirety of Masako's story, even the Sensei to an extent, with his whole "I saw her as a daughter" bit. If Jin learned anything from those adventures with them, it should be obvious what his choice would be.

also, while ending Shimura after a duel would be the Honorable thing to do, as Jin himself says; "I have no honor."

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 1, 2020

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Any advice for finding more blow-dart ammo do I just have to get lucky? I set my travellers attire to flowers and haven't gotten lucky.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

JackDarko posted:

Any advice for finding more blow-dart ammo do I just have to get lucky? I set my travellers attire to flowers and haven't gotten lucky.

They spawn as orange and purple flowers in the fields of white pampas grass. Pretty sure the flower wind will only seek out the cosmetic flowers, and not ammunition flowers.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

JackDarko posted:

That kind of flower is just the cosmetic currency I think.

For the blow-dart ammo, just find any section with a lot of pampas grass. They tend to grow in the grass, and they'll spawn anywhere, even stuff from act 1.

I just finished the platinum myself. Great game, definitely will do a second playthrough once I get a PS5.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I beat and got platinum for this and tried to go back and finish AC Odyssey and couldn't do it, it's combat felt so clumsy by comparison.

Trying out RDR2 again since the combat systems are so obviously different. Definitely in the mood for more open world games though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baggot posted:

They spawn as orange and purple flowers in the fields of white pampas grass. Pretty sure the flower wind will only seek out the cosmetic flowers, and not ammunition flowers.

It's this. Traveller's Attire will not detect ammo flowers. But they are loving everywhere, especially in large fields of pampas that's abundant in Act 3. I've seen them in the Act 1 and Act 2 zones as well.

arisu posted:

Great game, definitely will do a second playthrough once I get a PS5.
Very much same. I'm hoping we'll get a full 60fps at 4K on the PS5.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
this game is so fun

its incredibly playable

an excellent balance between "realistic" and gameplay. there's very little tediousness

i did the act 2 mission where you get ghost stance and i have to say it really did make me feel like a terrifying god of death. it was an incredible moment

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I had just finished clearing out a Mongol camp. As the last guy hit the ground, a lone wild pig appeared out of nowhere and headbutted me in the rear end to send me flying. I stand up in shock and take a few swings at it, both missing. The pig decides to run for it and I chase after it a ways (looking fully ridiculous thanks to moon stance and waving my katana over my head). Piggo made it to the high grass and ran off into the beautiful, beautiful sunset.

Game is good.

Bonus: the first eagle trainer I met was also first in line for a showdown. Just as I swung at him, his eagle decided to swoop down and got obliterated by the same strike. Amazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Multiple times I've been attacking a camp only to have a bear run in and start throwing dudes around like some kind of rogue agent. One time I used the wind stance to kick a dude in the direction of the bear and it grabbed him and killed him for me. Thank you bear, truly you have samurai honor in your blood and my uncle would be proud of you

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The charm that poisons arrows 15% of the time seems kind of pointless because 90% of the time I'm shooting an arrow at a guy it is a headshot.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Orange Crush Rush posted:

As regard to the finale talk:

The way I saw it, almost every single major side character's arc is all about how they lost what precious little family they had left, and how it basically destroyed them. Yuna and Taka, Norio and his brother, the entirety of Masako's story, even the Sensei to an extent, with his whole "I saw her as a daughter" bit. If Jin learned anything from those adventures with them, it should be obvious what his choice would be.

also, while ending Shimura after a duel would be the Honorable thing to do, as Jin himself says; "I have no honor."

My thinking was that while Jin has given up the dumb honour code, his uncle obviously hasn't and for Shimura being left alive would be a fate worse than death. Plus the white ghost armour looks dope.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Man that whole lead up to the duel with Shimura is so great. "Ride with me. Ok. Then when you realize you're at a cemetery and then, oh poo poo it's YOUR FAMLY'S CEMETERY. You know what's fuckin coming. Good poo poo.

Earlier someone mentioned they'd replay it once the PS5 drops. Are they patching the game or offering some sort of upgrade path for a PS5 version?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

muscles like this! posted:

The charm that poisons arrows 15% of the time seems kind of pointless because 90% of the time I'm shooting an arrow at a guy it is a headshot.

Regular arrows don't pierce helmets but poison doesnt care and you can just aim for the body.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Man that whole lead up to the duel with Shimura is so great. "Ride with me. Ok. Then when you realize you're at a cemetery and then, oh poo poo it's YOUR FAMLY'S CEMETERY. You know what's fuckin coming. Good poo poo.

Earlier someone mentioned they'd replay it once the PS5 drops. Are they patching the game or offering some sort of upgrade path for a PS5 version?

I do wish they'd found a more elegant way to put you in the ronin outfit. I liked the symbolism (I had mine dyed white so it looked very stylish) but it felt very abrupt to suddenly be wearing it after the fade to black.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Jose Oquendo posted:

I did, and I don't believe they've announced any kind of upgrade path yet but I'm willing to bet as this is a first party game being released so close to PS5 launch, it's almost guaranteed to have a PS5 version available at or near launch. Sony wants more reasons for people to buy into their new consoles and providing upgrades for existing games has got to be one of the less resource intensive means to do so.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

WaltherFeng posted:

Regular arrows don't pierce helmets but poison doesnt care and you can just aim for the body.

If you use the Long Bow, it pierces armor and helmets anyways. Only thing that stops Heavy Arrows is shields.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

this game is so fun

its incredibly playable

an excellent balance between "realistic" and gameplay. there's very little tediousness

i did the act 2 mission where you get ghost stance and i have to say it really did make me feel like a terrifying god of death. it was an incredible moment

For real- the bit immediately after when Jim (keeping it) is covered in blood and asks the villagers “who killed the Mongols?” had me a bit worried- I thought homeboy just blacked out and went crazy.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the yarikawa quest chain is probably one of my favorite little side stories in recent memory. cool setting, cool characters, fantastic finale. I love how the incidental world building works in this game, they set up yarikawa really well via random dialogue, fighting yasuhira koga, etc. before you ever even get there. i also did the spirit of yarikawa mythic quest in the midst of it so getting dance of wrath was icing on the cake.

game is definitely not perfect but its so hard to stop playing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Not a huge fan of every single enemy encounter involving archers who just lazily pepper you with arrows while you’re trying to fight off spear dudes and shield dudes and double sword dudes
And I understand what they’re going for with no UI distracting from the game but I feel having the wind blowing loving everywhere and a bright loud golden bird flying circles over your head and a bright orange fox dancing around you is way more distracting than a little hud element pointing you somewhere
Goddamn is Jin delicate. Dude dies to anything and his resolve heals basically nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Remember friends, while you're out saving the island from the Mongols and bandits, it's ok to take some personal time.

But even more importantly, be kind to birds.