Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Bogus Adventure posted:

It does have a single-player campaign where you switch between the New Republic and the Empire. It also has a lot of the energy management from X-Wing/TIE Fighter. It adds a lot of customization on ship loadout, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGSkCalsisU

The description I read made it sound like it was just a multiplayer arena game. That actually looks good and is what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Xenocides posted:

The description I read made it sound like it was just a multiplayer arena game. That actually looks good and is what I want.

It looks beautiful, and I see so many X-Wing/TIE Fighter features in it that it gives me hope. It looks like it's going to first be released as a smaller game (four ships for each side, only 6 maps for multiplayer), but I'm hoping they build on it. There are hints that the B-Wing might be added, and it would be sweet to see the TIE Advanced or an Assault Gunboat get added.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much the impression I get is that Star Citizen can't even function as a presentable game because their base engine is absolutely hosed even for its intended use case. It's a house built on sand.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much the impression I get is that Star Citizen can't even function as a presentable game because their base engine is absolutely hosed even for its intended use case. It's a house built on sand.

It's pretty much this, it can never be made stable enough for release because the underpinnings are so fundamentally broken. They'd have to start over fresh like Duke Nukem Forever but they were committed to the sunk cost fairly early on and so the point of no return is a long time past, but only because at no point did they have the courage to sack up and start over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of when Nintendo outright went 'Metroid Prime 4 wasn't shaping up well at all so we're starting over from scratch', though maybe a rare case given they announced very early for them probably because Metroid fans are used to assuming the franchise is being abandoned.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of when Nintendo outright went 'Metroid Prime 4 wasn't shaping up well at all so we're starting over from scratch', though maybe a rare case given they announced very early for them probably because Metroid fans are used to assuming the franchise is being abandoned.

Also to be fair the backers of MP4 weren't beholden to the sunk cost fallacy because, you know, Nintendo is a legit company and didn't bilk their entire userbase for $300 million

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

As genre-defining and industry-disrupting as that space bartender is, shouldn't a space exploration/combat/trading video game implement such mechanics as space exploration, combat and trading by now?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Regular-rear end Metroid has been basically abandoned.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bronze Fonz posted:

As genre-defining and industry-disrupting as that space bartender is,

Hold on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwdQNOVhDPw

Why is there a cut before they even get to the bar?

Why does it take the bartender a full fifteen seconds to acknowledge the customer?

Why does the menu sway with the bartender?

Why is there ANOTHER cut after the customer orders?

The sometimes-fluid mocapped movements of the bartender are at total odds with the janky paths his pre-recorded movements are shoehorned into.

Those liquid-in-glass mechanics are shite and they made so much noise about them once upon a time about how they had to be "just right". Love how he YANKS the glass off the table like a fuckin Merry Melodies guy downing a shot at the saloon

Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll have a working 1:1 model of the universe modelled in no time at all

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Why does it take the bartender a full fifteen seconds to acknowledge the customer?

The sometimes-fluid mocapped movements of the bartender are at total odds with the janky paths his pre-recorded movements are shoehorned into.

Those liquid-in-glass mechanics are shite and they made so much noise about them once upon a time about how they had to be "just right". Love how he YANKS the glass off the table like a fuckin Merry Melodies guy downing a shot at the saloon

Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll have a working 1:1 model of the universe modelled in no time at all

Please don't spread FUD.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wow, Mass Effect 2's graphical fidelity joins Mass Effect Andromeda's AI and character animation to produce a truly unique experience.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Hold on.

https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1289267189183180801

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Haha the pretend bar is empty and the bartenders are assholes who take forever and the drinks look like poo poo. Why would anyone waste their time with this? Go make a real drink for yourself. Is there anything fun in this game at all?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

steinrokkan posted:

Wow, Mass Effect 2's graphical fidelity joins Mass Effect Andromeda's AI and character animation to produce a truly unique experience.

Exactly, everything the SC PTU tries to offer can be found in other games, commercially released games. Since years.
With the difference that it works in the other, real, released games.

Shattered Horizon from 2009 offers fluid and smooth Space Combat Mechanics that absolutely shits on Star Citizen‘t.

But hey, 2800 early days after the Kickstarter is not enough to meet standard gaming development best practice that even small indie dev studios can deliver, with less than 1% of the funding.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

It does have a single-player campaign where you switch between the New Republic and the Empire. It also has a lot of the energy management from X-Wing/TIE Fighter. It adds a lot of customization on ship loadout, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGSkCalsisU

:colbert: Why would anyone choose a TIE fighter when they can choose an Interceptor? The X-Wing vs. the A-Wing is a choice, sure. X-Wing's beefier and has more firepower. It's a good all-around fighter. A-Wing is faster and more agile.

But the Interceptor is just plain better. And it should be better. They better not come up with some ol' bullshit to change this just for the sake of balance.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Kickstarter gamedev proves that the worst thing you can do to a self-declared genius is give them everything they ask for.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
holy gently caress that bartender video is bad lol

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

Kickstarter gamedev proves that the worst thing you can do to a self-declared genius is give them everything they ask for.

I remember the original campaign where Squadron 42 was the whole game and the MMO was a stretch goal. I wonder if we would have a game if Roberts had gotten less?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You too can make NPCs stand on furniture. IN SPACE!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

:colbert: Why would anyone choose a TIE fighter when they can choose an Interceptor? The X-Wing vs. the A-Wing is a choice, sure. X-Wing's beefier and has more firepower. It's a good all-around fighter. A-Wing is faster and more agile.

But the Interceptor is just plain better. And it should be better. They better not come up with some ol' bullshit to change this just for the sake of balance.

They made up some bullshit for balance. I can see why. It is meant as a multiplayer arena game and no one will fly a TIE fighter in a game like that. Looking at it the Fighter has more armor than the interceptor and the interceptor's weapons are better against fighters but less good against capital ships. The weird change is the support craft which repair and reload allies. Blech. Oh well, I am unlikely to play much, if any, multiplayer. If I have my decent length story campaign I will be content.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

tyrelhill posted:

Why is there such epic diegetic music for just walking to the bar

Why is there no sound at the bar but the howling wind

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Now now, Chris gave them a full hour to fake a working demo.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Why is there such epic diegetic music for just walking to the bar

Why is there no sound at the bar but the howling wind

The Super Space Party Megacorp that owns the bar wants to awe and dazzle you.

But the bartenders hate you and want you to leave. They can't just up and say so (Super Space Party Megacorp is recording them), so they do their job with malicious compliance. That's why they'll keep asking what you want, even if they can see you're still trying to drink the last thing you ordered. What do you want? You're still here, so you must want something. Just take your little drink and go. Keep the glass for all I care, just piss off.

The sound reflects this mood.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xenocides posted:

I remember the original campaign where Squadron 42 was the whole game and the MMO was a stretch goal. I wonder if we would have a game if Roberts had gotten less?

Experience suggests not: he got booted off a project he mismanaged by Microsoft (I think, I forget the details), confessed openly that one reason the Wing Commander movie sucked balls was because he was congenitally unable to keep things to a manageable or achievable schedule, and lost a court case to Kevin Costner for breaking a contract.

But sure, 300 mill should definitely be given to him with zero oversight.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
He started pissing away money from the start.
With the first $10 million he opened a mocap studio, and opened like FOUR mocap studios around the world.
So he and Sandi could personally show the trained mocap actors how to forward roll properly.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I hope the bartender gets finished and is used as the basis for every other npc because you know it'd be a copy and paste job. I really want to see the bugs that come from every npc needing to find a bar to tend

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

tyrelhill posted:

What gets me is that just visually it looks like absolute poo poo. I thought that was supposed to be the one strong suit of the game. They have an army of artists. The one thing they manage to churn out is art assets. How do they even gently caress that up?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I like the constant squishing noises the bartender makes with every movement. Is he wearing full saddle leather? The lack of other sound is hilarious.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Hold on.

Gotta love how sloshed that bartender is, lmfao

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Sankis posted:

I hope the bartender gets finished and is used as the basis for every other npc because you know it'd be a copy and paste job. I really want to see the bugs that come from every npc needing to find a bar to tend

"What do you want?" asks the stranger I pass on the street.

"What do you want, whiskey, beer, or whiskey?" asks the space-bus driver.

"What do you want?" asks a person I cannot see. I suspect he is inside the ground. I try to find him and clip through the world and fall into infinity. "Good choice."

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Why is the star citizen slurping cold beer.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

I can't get over how citizens fool themselves that SC is some graphical masterpiece yet it looks like a PS3 game in some places. The fact the the performance is so bad is the real icing on the cake.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Is that bar meant to be so aggressively 80s-themed? Did they do that on purpose?

I mean, what year does the glorious Stimpire take place in?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Wolfechu posted:

I mean, what year does the glorious Stimpire take place in?

The Lore of the Fourth Stimpire posted:

The concept of time has been abolished in the Fourth Stimpire as the Stimpire is seen as eternal by the rulers. Citizens are prohibited from owning clocks calendars and diaries and other devices used to mark the passage of time. Citizens breaking these laws are subjected to eternal punishments of the worst kind. Keepers of diaries are compressed in huge printing presses for a long time while their families are drowned in ink. People possessing clocks are grounded up in huge clockwork devices designed to inflict the maximum amount of pain possible before death occurs. This is all done on live video broadcasts watched by the entire population of the Fourth Stimpire

n.b this marks the spot where my phone added the word ‘Stimpire’ to my predictive text.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Torquemada posted:

n.b this marks the spot where my phone added the word ‘Stimpire’ to my predictive text.

Eternal punishments of the worst kind.

Eternal punishments.... this game

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Star Citizen really is the gift of lols that keeps on giving.

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.
Are they ground up in the worst kind of clockwork?

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Nowher posted:

I can't get over how citizens fool themselves that SC is some graphical masterpiece yet it looks like a PS3 game in some places.
The beer in the glass looks like an effect from an N64 or Dreamcast game.

Actually, the whole weird interaction sort of feels like something you might find in Shenmue, but with worse animations. (Like holding a "full" glass at such a crazy angle, or the NPC glitching and skipping frames during its routine.)

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm the tundra wind sound effect playing in the gaudy space bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
They could have just leveraged Cryengine's pesky global sea level for the drink effect to get those sick rear end wave animations. All drinks would have to exist at the same Z level at all times, but might as well make use of it, right?