Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

flatluigi posted:

the fact that he said the hopefully obvious thing about not being able to employ every single person forever doesn't mean that he's hiring people he's going to fire in a month

Not what I said. I said hiring Matt Cardona means potentially someone currently on the roster gets cut later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

flatluigi posted:

the fact that he said the hopefully obvious thing about not being able to employ every single person forever doesn't mean that he's hiring people he's going to fire in a month

AEW doesn't tape that often for five dates to go that quickly, unless for some reason he counts Being the Elite.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Not what I said. I said hiring Matt Cardona means potentially someone currently on the roster gets cut later.

ah, the smash bros "slots" theory

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strawberry Panda posted:

sorry that I assumed you said something that made sense

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

karmicknight posted:

AEW doesn't tape that often for five dates to go that quickly, unless for some reason he counts Being the Elite.

Would be hilarious if they accidentally burn a couple appearances on Dark.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

flatluigi posted:

sorry that I assumed you said something that made sense

Sorry I'm not making sense. Thought I had a more salient point but guess it's not really translating from what it is in my head.

I was trying to comment on this Tony Kahn quote:

"We’ve really not let anybody go here as a company, and look, I’m gonna be honest, there’s gonna come a day where somebody, we’re gonna have to, but now is not the time."

Which I interpret as they'll eventually have to release some of the wrestlers they already have signed.

But John Cena's Smash Bros slot theory comment makes me realize it's kind of a ridiculous thought that hiring Matt Cardona would mean someone else would get let go in the future for his spot.

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 1, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

Sorry I'm not making sense. Thought I had a more salient point but guess it's not really translating from what it is in my head.

I was trying to comment on this Tony Kahn quote:

"We’ve really not let anybody go here as a company, and look, I’m gonna be honest, there’s gonna come a day where somebody, we’re gonna have to, but now is not the time."

Which I interpret as they'll eventually have to release some of the wrestlers they already have signed.

But John Cena's Smash Bros slot theory comment makes me realize it's kind of a ridiculous thought that hiring Matt Cardona would mean someone else would get let go in the future for his spot.

The roster's admittedly getting full enough to notice (~64 people currently); at the same time he's apparently currently only contracted for 4 more appearances, so right now at least I wouldn't say Cardona's contribution to that specifically is a big issue to worry about on that front

Growing the roster to potentially 70+ full-time people (assuming they sign talent involved with the women's tournament, even just short-term), with only two regular shows currently to be placed on, even with some people who can't currently appear due to travel issues, isn't a thing that's sustainable long-term and I genuinely don't think that's a controversial statement. As you said, Khan, and even Cody, have acknowledged or alluded to as much that everyone's got limited time to shine in such a situation

Cody posted:

Here’s the trick. We only have a two-hour show. And a lot of our roster hasn’t even been fully realized or seen yet. I want to make sure we honor individuals like that. If you bring in a hot free agent, that means someone is going to lose a spot. That’s just the reality of it.

I just disagree that currently Cardona's a part of that particular problem under his tryout deal

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

The roster's admittedly getting full enough to notice (~64 people currently); at the same time he's apparently currently only contracted for 4 more appearances, so right now at least I wouldn't say Cardona's contribution to that specifically is a big issue to worry about on that front

Growing the roster to potentially 70+ full-time people (assuming they sign talent involved with the women's tournament, even just short-term), with only two regular shows currently to be placed on, even with some people who can't currently appear due to travel issues, isn't a thing that's sustainable long-term and I genuinely don't think that's a controversial statement. As you said, Khan, and even Cody, have acknowledged or alluded to as much that everyone's got limited time to shine in such a situation

I just disagree that currently Cardona's a part of that particular problem under his tryout deal

Ah I had no idea Cardona was on a limited appearance schedule.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also for all the talk about Coward Tony's deep pockets, at the end of the day AEW still has a payroll budget and they're trying to turn a profit. Every promotion (and every sports team, which is Tony's real background) has a point where they eventually have to cut talent they aren't using, and from the looks of it they sound like they're just being honest about that reality.

And honestly? That's not a totally bad thing. Shuffling around the roster fringes occasionally and letting people work elsewhere where they might be used more is better than just hoarding talent and paying dozens of wrestlers to do nothing.

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 1, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so far the only cuts have been wrestlers that requested them so its all speculation anyway until they actually do let people go, and my guess is the people that get let go will be wrestlers where the reaction will be "they had *who* under contract??" like anthony ogogo or stephen bonnar or sadie gibbs or sunny daze

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JOHN CENA posted:

so far the only cuts have been wrestlers that requested them so its all speculation anyway until they actually do let people go, and my guess is the people that get let go will be wrestlers where the reaction will be "they had *who* under contract??" like anthony ogogo or stephen bonnar or sadie gibbs or sunny daze

Sunny Daze actually produces video for them.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Cardona might even be down to 3 appearances already if they’re counting his run in as an appearance.

My interpretation of Khan’s quote is more acknowledging that at some point of course they’re going to have to release someone, but he’s going to do what he can to avoid doing so during the pandemic.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Anytime a wrestling promotion does something I don't 100% like I ditch them immediately. I also overlook all the horrible poo poo WWE does because Bayley and Sasha were entertaining for 5 minutes on a 3 hour Raw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I overlook the terrible things one does because they're not quite as bad as the other one.

We should be friends.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
People are quick to make AEW comparisons to the bad parts of WCW, but having a bunch of international/big names show up briefly is probably not the worst thing WCW ever did. At worst he could serve as the bizarro Shawn Spears, and at best he signs up behind the scenes to help Being the Elite on YouTube do better skits. Either way Cordona is one of the most followed wrestlers on social media period, and him showing up like 5 times is not going to cause Rey Fenix to get fired. Neither is the Other Funkadactyle showing up as Nyla's tag team partner.

AEW is emulating the better parts of WCW when you'd see people like Akira Hokuto or Ultimo Dragon or El Dandy pop up for matches occasionally, and if this nightmare of a plague ever ends on the women's side we can see Choco Pro stars pop up, Maki Itoh, Chris Brookes, and others.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Certainly speaks to the state of AEW's women's division that in a time when the entire unsigned indie wrestling scene has ground to a halt and anybody would be happy to job, they would bring in someone more suited to their e-list celebrity than a wrestling ring

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

eventually people in this subforum are going to have to learn how to spell people's names

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

People are quick to make AEW comparisons to the bad parts of WCW, but having a bunch of international/big names show up briefly is probably not the worst thing WCW ever did. At worst he could serve as the bizarro Shawn Spears, and at best he signs up behind the scenes to help Being the Elite on YouTube do better skits. Either way Cordona is one of the most followed wrestlers on social media period, and him showing up like 5 times is not going to cause Rey Fenix to get fired. Neither is the Other Funkadactyle showing up as Nyla's tag team partner.

AEW is emulating the better parts of WCW when you'd see people like Akira Hokuto or Ultimo Dragon or El Dandy pop up for matches occasionally, and if this nightmare of a plague ever ends on the women's side we can see Choco Pro stars pop up, Maki Itoh, Chris Brookes, and others.

Do you know who the other Funkadactyl was? Because if they ever have the chance AEW should absolutely get her.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is there literally anybody else? Is there anyone actually signed who could do that? At least when Cody does his Trips thing we get a little novelty every week

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
AEW should work on more of the people they started with instead of constantly bringing in more people imo

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Aphrodite posted:

Do you know who the other Funkadactyl was? Because if they ever have the chance AEW should absolutely get her.
I can't wait for people to claim Naomi was never a star when she goes to AEW

KungFu Grip posted:

AEW should work on more of the people they started with instead of constantly bringing in more people imo
Since Dynamite started the only people I feel on the main roster that hasn't been given a shake are Hybrid 2, Beaver Boys, Janella, and Swole. Everyone else has been in a big title match at minimum or they're just midcarders for life. They've done a fairly good job at featuring almost everyone on their roster so far.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's going to be so fun when Ariane is good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's going to be so fun when Ariane is good.

Prepare to be disappointed I guess

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

extradite THIS! posted:

Prepare to be disappointed I guess

Was right about Britt, was right about Nyla, I'm here to just keep on winning.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Was right about Britt, was right about Nyla, I'm here to just keep on winning.

Standing with you, arm in arm on this one

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I don't know if she started Girlbye but it's definitely a thing I've heard outside of the wrestling bubble.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

no, girl-bye has been around for like twenty years.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NienNunb posted:

Standing with you, arm in arm on this one

as am i

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

You are allowed to be excited for whatever you like I suppose but Cameron was actually, literally never any good at all, at anything related to pro wrestling

If she’s somehow become good? Nice, good for her

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I like that AEW will bring in people for one off appearances or whatever, and don’t have the WWE mentality that they are going to go to the competition later. Or feel forced to sign then and stink up TV for 5 years

Like it was fun to see Jeff Cobb for a week, and it will be fun to see Cameron get destroyed by Nyla. I don’t o ow I’d I want to see Zach Ryder every week, but I’m willing g to give him a chance outside of WWE.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cobb wasn't for lack of trying, he just really wants to work for NJPW. And that may end up with him taking the US title off Mox in a month or two. (I think he's got a shot at the US New Japan Cup, and I can see Mox dropping the AEW title to MJF at the PPV. It wouldn't be too crazy for the US title match to take place or at least air after that, so no worries with having the AEW champion losing to an outside guy)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I just feel like Ariane is taking up a spot that should rightly be held by the person who does the best Northern lights suplex in the business, Alicia Fox, and I stand by that position.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Why do you want Arn to get fired again?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I just feel like Ariane is taking up a spot that should rightly be held by the person who does the best Northern lights suplex in the business, Alicia Fox, and I stand by that position.

If I remember correctly, Alicia Fox has pretty much retired from the business after a battle with alcoholism and has gone back to college. It does seem like she would be a natural pickup otherwise, seeing that she lives in Jacksonville.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jericho confirmed 2 of the AEW Deadly Draw matches on his Saturday Night Facebook stream thingy, per Fightful:

• Nyla Rose & Ariane Andrews vs. Anna Jay & Taynara Conti
• The Nightmare Sisters (Brandi Rhodes & Allie) vs. Diamante & Ivelisse

I wonder if the second one wasn't part of the tournament, as the Nightmare Sisters staying together kinda blows the whole "random draw" thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, you can get away with one pair being lucky, and you can roll into the idea that Brandi actually doesn't WANT to team with Allie and was hoping for Shida or something.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The Diamante and Ivelisse pairing would also seem rather fortuitous though I wonder how the rest of the pairings work out.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Nobody will team with her except Diamante

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1290366617855987713

quote:

Our sources additionally tell us this storyline is specific to WWE and NOT intended to be political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

quote:

However, from what we’re told, the group is set to “cause chaos” in WWE from a storyline standpoint and use any means necessary to get the attention of management.

Lmao if they're really going for it