Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t know how Doom Patrol s2 would be when they had less Morrison stuff to crib from but it’s honestly been so loving tremendous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

well i wasn't expecting to do another The Avengers rewatch so soon but if you insist

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Everyone praises Diane Guerrero, and rightly so, but my god April Bowlby is just sublime as Rita.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rita is lowkey the best character for real

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When we first started moving away from the 20+ episode seasons, everyone was expecting the quality to go up since the showrunners could focus on the story, but I am starting to feel like the opposite is happening.

Umbrella Academy season 2 is good, but halfway through you start to realize that the story isn't really moving forward much, there is just so much filler constantly.
It's a shame because all the main actors do a really good job with their characters, and the show looks great visually. I just wish there was more family stuff and less forgettable side-characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laterite posted:

Everyone praises Diane Guerrero, and rightly so, but my god April Bowlby is just sublime as Rita.

For real, she's incredible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

When we first started moving away from the 20+ episode seasons, everyone was expecting the quality to go up since the showrunners could focus on the story, but I am starting to feel like the opposite is happening.

Umbrella Academy season 2 is good, but halfway through you start to realize that the story isn't really moving forward much, there is just so much filler constantly.
It's a shame because all the main actors do a really good job with their characters, and the show looks great visually. I just wish there was more family stuff and less forgettable side-characters.

The fight scene at the end of episode 2 reminded me why I loving hate the needledrops in this show. Oh let’s film the most basic possible version of a scene and then put an old upbeat song over it to make it seem like it has any personality whatsoever.

It works when the scene in question is actually good already, like at the beginning of the premiere, but so often in this show the music cues are doing all the heavy lifting in a scene and it’s really obvious and annoying.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Oasx posted:

Netflix shows always feel thin to me. I've never watched a season of an hour long drama that went for 10-13 episodes and wanted it to be longer, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really liked High Fidelity on Hulu. Then I saw Netflix has an Anna Kendrick show that's like exactly the same. There's just too much TV.

I haven't actually seen Umbrella Academy but from the brief trailer I saw I feel like I've seen this already with Misfits.
e: and yeah I realized Robert Sheehan is in both shows, maybe that's why I think it.

I think that TV is overall better right now with more creative freedom and all that. But it's also a lot more same-y and it's more glaring since seasons are so short and they pump out so many shows.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 1, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The characters even have similiar powers!

I really like Umbrella Academy but Misfits is so much better

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All shows are exactly the same.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Agreed. Except for Mad Men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mad Men is just the Sopranos with advertising instead of ziti.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, so that’s why they call him Don Draper. It’s all a mafia front.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

And that’s why we love it, baby!

I’ve been rewatching Mad Men and next up is season 3 which is the only season I haven’t seen more than once. I remember it being my least favourite (despite some hilarious moments and an incredible finale) so I’m interested to see how it holds up this time

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Any excuse to post this After Hours.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So did imdb tv drop some shows for August? Drop as in get rid of not release.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched the first 7 minutes of season 2 because everyone said it was pretty great and......yeah it was pretty great

I am a sucker for scenes in superhero shows where everyone shows off their powers and the beginning of episode one delivered so goddamn hard on that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't remember The Handler character from Season 1 of Umbrella Academy at all, but she's really good at the cruella deville type villain. I was trying to remember where I knew her from, she has a good villain face and attitude and I swore I've seen her as villain before. Turns out it's Kate Walsh and I know her from Grey's Anatomy, she didn't play a villain but everyone in that show was kind of villainous in how they liked to torture the audience by reading their scripts and acting out their parts on camera and making it be on TV.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

The fight scene at the end of episode 2 reminded me why I loving hate the needledrops in this show. Oh let’s film the most basic possible version of a scene and then put an old upbeat song over it to make it seem like it has any personality whatsoever.

Only seen the first episode of Season 2 so far, but it's reminded me that most of the show is needledrops like this. There must be 5 in the first episode. Two in the same scene when Diego escapes and then gets attacked.

But I like them! That's what the show does best, because none of the performances are really standout, and the plot is pretty basic "We have to change the future, oops we caused the bad future by trying to change the future!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right, but that’s not really a good thing, is it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Why?

I don't really see the problem in using different world ending threats as a backdrop. The opposite is what every other piece of superhero fiction already does. The world ending being an afterthought to the characters personal issues and relationships is the story. In season one they ultimately failed to reach one another which ended the world whereas in season 2...

Also, as anyone who suffered through Suicide Squad knows, a movie/tvshow can't fool you into feeling scenes are engaging by the use of good pop songs. They either are to you or they are not. Like you put it, it works when it works.

I cannot get Sunny out of my head jesus christ

EDIT: I'm still extremely in love with the use of Swedish cover of Hello. Utterly bizarre and just 10/10 creative decision.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 1, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was referring to the idea that picking fun song choices is what a show does best. If that’s the best thing you can say about a show, it’s probably not that good of a show!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

It's fine if that's what you're in the mood for.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

It's fine if that's what you're in the mood for.

Why don’t you just go and listen to the songs if that’s the case?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Why don’t you just go and listen to the songs if that’s the case?

Nah I like watching little music videos.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why does this 4 piece puzzle not work if I arbitrarily remove a piece???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look if you were to try and collect all those great songs, it would cost you 100s of Dollars. But now, with the Umbrella Academy, you can hear all these hits on one show! Call now!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Amazing casting in Perry Mason 'There's no way that guy playing Lithgow's son isn't literally Lithgow's son'... 'is Matt Frewer playing the trial judge straight or hamming it up? He's loving it either way'

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I should watch Perry Mason huh?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't even think its as easy as you assume. Look at a show like Scrubs where altering the soundtrack (and a variety of other shows have been mentioned) where because of the transition from physical to streaming rights, some to a lot of the music is altered and its jarring when you watch it at how flat it falls.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Why does this 4 piece puzzle not work if I arbitrarily remove a piece???

Very confused about exactly what point this post is trying to make.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

I don't even think its as easy as you assume. Look at a show like Scrubs where altering the soundtrack (and a variety of other shows have been mentioned) where because of the transition from physical to streaming rights, some to a lot of the music is altered and its jarring when you watch it at how flat it falls.

Scrubs was pretty good at picking little-known songs, though. Umbrella Academy will go for the most obvious choice every time. There’s literally a scene where a character‘s in an asylum and it plays a cover of Gnarls Barkley’s ‘Crazy’.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm trying to make the point that while I like maple syrup on its own merits too it's just not the same without a bland, fluffy and comfortable pancake to round it out. One could even say the two accentuate each others best features.

I could drink maple syrup out of the bottle, but I won't.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I'm trying to make the point that while I like maple syrup on its own merits too it's just not the same without a bland, fluffy and comfortable pancake to round it out. One could even say the two accentuate each others best features.

I could drink maple syrup out of the bottle, but I won't.

Have you considered that it's incorrect to enjoy things in any context?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

Scrubs was pretty good at picking little-known songs, though. Umbrella Academy will go for the most obvious choice every time. There’s literally a scene where a character‘s in an asylum and it plays a cover of Gnarls Barkley’s ‘Crazy’.

And Scrubs also played plenty of already popular music, Umbrella Academy has used lesser known artists or at the very least lesser know covers of songs as well as popular ones. We could cherry pick all day.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Have you considered that it's incorrect to enjoy things in any context?

Only Under the Dome, my secret shame :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I should watch Perry Mason huh?

I thought the first couple of episodes were kind of eh but it really picked up in the back half.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Only Under the Dome, my secret shame :(

Because of the quarantine, I've seen like every episode of "My 600-Lb. Life".

Good exercise motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Look if you were to try and collect all those great songs, it would cost you 100s of Dollars. But now, with the Umbrella Academy, you can hear all these hits on one show! Call now!

I love that this is literally what the debate turned into