Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Here's my take: if WWE didn't completely bungle the pushes of 2/3 of The Shield after they broke them up, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The most damning thing about WWE's irrational need to break up tag teams is that they don't even know what to do with people after they break up besides "boring rivalry between ex-partners that goes on too long".

See this is why I like The Bar, they did that backwards. Blood feud first then partners. I'm still waiting for the end of their best of 7 series tho, they're still tied 3-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Never forget they did The Jannety for Miz and Morrison and for a twist went all in on Miz who was the xlearly less talented of the two.

And a decade and more on he still is the less talented and Morrison just has a lifetime of never being the guy because of it. So they intentionally sabotaged everyone involved including themselves because what a twist.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

Never forget they did The Jannety for Miz and Morrison and for a twist went all in on Miz who was the xlearly less talented of the two.

And a decade and more on he still is the less talented and Morrison just has a lifetime of never being the guy because of it. So they intentionally sabotaged everyone involved including themselves because what a twist.

now im thinking about Dave comparing the Miz to Kento Miyahara again and laughing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bryan Alvarez compared TJP to Hiroshi Tanahashi

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

Bryan Alvarez compared TJP to Hiroshi Tanahashi

the Miz/Kento comparison wasn't a positive one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6l1EJ2uZv4

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

He is a terrible man and hopefully he will be punished for it by his company getting hamstrung on TV deals in 2022 and his company's stock collapsing. Of course USA will probably be all 'here's a dumptruck of money for this 1.3 and .2 in the demographic. Hopefully Fox's buyer's remorse is real though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

He is a terrible man and hopefully he will be punished for it by his company getting hamstrung on TV deals in 2022 and his company's stock collapsing. Of course USA will probably be all 'here's a dumptruck of money for this 1.3 and .2 in the demographic. Hopefully Fox's buyer's remorse is real though.

Their contracts run until 2024.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
USA's gonna get cancelled by Comcast before Raw does

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

OctoberCountry posted:

RAW on G4TV would certainly be a thing.

bartok
May 10, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

Does USA not have any original programming anymore? I thought Psych, Mr. Robot, and that Purge series were pretty decent. USA should spend that WWE money on finding a new Monk.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bartok posted:

Does USA not have any original programming anymore? I thought Psych, Mr. Robot, and that Purge series were pretty decent

Psych still has movies
Mr Robot ended last year
Purge just got canceled (I liked season 1, still haven't seen season 2)

They have three non-reality shows ongoing:
Queen of the South (production suspended indefinitely due to corona)
The Sinner (renewed for a new season to film after corona)
Dirty John (came to the network as of season 2, which just ended)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

actual tv shows are very expensive and do not air for 3 hours 52 weeks a year

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mr. Robot also did terribly in the ratings. I'm shocked that they let that show play out.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Pylons posted:

Mr. Robot also did terribly in the ratings. I'm shocked that they let that show play out.
I never watched it personally but wasn't it a show based loosely off 4chan's anonymous

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pylons posted:

It was a critical darling that racked up Emmys and Golden Globes, networks love keeping those kind of shows around even if they don't draw ratings.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
lmao what

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

I never watched it personally but wasn't it a show based loosely off 4chan's anonymous

Kinda not really? They borrowed some of the aesthetics from Anonymous but that was about it AFAIR. It was more about the inter-group relationships in the hacker group than anything else. Also very technologically accurate for a TV show about hacking/hackers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

That was the elevator pitch and initial push but it was a lot more than that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Benne posted:

The New Day act has been stale as gently caress for at least 3 years now so I'd argue that they legit have "nowhere else to go." Big E going singles is the first interesting thing they've done since Kofi's title reign.

I love how you say they have nowhere to go, then immediately mention the place they are going with it.

But they were forced to do it due to injury, like all things WWE

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bartok posted:

Does USA not have any original programming anymore? I thought Psych, Mr. Robot, and that Purge series were pretty decent. USA should spend that WWE money on finding a new Monk.

Which is why WWE will fail upward with contract renewals since USA needs to keep WWE to remain relevant.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Big E doing his part to ensure the wwe games bring back the funny entrance options for CAWs

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

here for Raw's last month w/ratings above 1 million viewers

not to watch it though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mr. Robot was one of the best shows of the decade with perhaps the most acclaimed acting performance of the decade, of course they kept it around

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Benne posted:

It was a critical darling that racked up Emmys and Golden Globes, networks love keeping those kind of shows around even if they don't draw ratings.

Also, ad rates. Shows that pull in less than a million people but most of those less than a million buy ridiculously expensive things can last forever off the fact that the channel can pay for it with that sweet, sweet ad revenue because that’s the precise demographic car manufacturers and jewelers and other high-priced items and “refined” brands want to target and will pay out the rear end to get their stuff in front of those eyes.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

Their contracts run until 2024.

God loving dammit what do I pray to to see this lovely company of evil gently caress ups in ashes? gently caress.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's another Draft in the works. Current plan is October but they keep pushing the date back so it could end up being later.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Cameo posted:

Also, ad rates. Shows that pull in less than a million people but most of those less than a million buy ridiculously expensive things can last forever off the fact that the channel can pay for it with that sweet, sweet ad revenue because that’s the precise demographic car manufacturers and jewelers and other high-priced items and “refined” brands want to target and will pay out the rear end to get their stuff in front of those eyes.

Well that sure isn't WWE programming.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

Mr Robot was a drama about mental illness with some hacking thrown in.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ChrisBTY posted:

What, you don't think investing in gold is a wise choice?!?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Rarity posted:

There's another Draft in the works. Current plan is October but they keep pushing the date back so it could end up being later.
I can't remember the last time they bothered to do a draft and actually stuck to it. Usually it's only weeks before people start jumping brands or showing up on all shows

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

WWE’s utility is to raise the average rating for the channel/network over the whole year via its “loyal” audience being larger than most shows. Suddenly everything makes more money even as RAW and Smackdown get the absolute bottom-barrel advertisers because anyone above them does not find the demographic that watches attractive enough to sell to, because instead of saying, for example, “our average rating is a .8”, they can go “our average rating is a 1.4” and demand some more money for the programming that airs that both nobody actually watches and doesn’t have the prestige to pull in high rates (but those prestige shows also benefit from the floor on the ad rates being a little higher; rising tide, boats, etc.), the stuff that’s on at one in the afternoon on a Thursday in the middle of March and is probably a rerun or a movie they licensed for cheap.

The problem that comes from this and how WWE ratings keep dropping should be fairly obvious. It’s also why the three hour show move came from Bonnie Hammer at USA and not from within the company; these two hours pull the average up like this, people would sit around and watch for another hour and then that raises the average even higher!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chris James 2 posted:

Psych still has movies
Mr Robot ended last year
Purge just got canceled (I liked season 1, still haven't seen season 2)

Psych's first movie didn't do well, so the recent one got a lower budget and was shunted off to Peacock/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timby posted:

Psych's first movie didn't do well, so the recent one got a lower budget and was shunted off to Peacock/

And it was awesome. Better than the first one in every way.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Davros1 posted:

And it was awesome. Better than the first one in every way.

And they’ve said they’ll continue to make films as long as the fans want them

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

CobiWann posted:

What, you don't think investing in gold is a wise choice?!?

I'd like to think it's at least a better idea than investing in WWE but number go up because number go up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

One thing wrong in the op

This week nxt and aew combined DID beat the third hour of raw. There are now more people watching wrestling wednesdays than on monday for an hour at least.

Fixed it, thanks!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Let Steve Franks and Saladin K Patterson book Raw and Smackdown.

And Make Shawn and Gus the onscreen authority

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Cameo posted:

Isn't this one of the big issues with WWE and ads? It's why they went PG, and had to be shilling for 2nd rate advertisers like fruity Skittles?

In so much as the big money reliable advertisers don't want to be associated with wrestling, no matter how high the ratings, because wrestling is seen to bring in a low class, low income demographic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know it will come as no surprise to anybody, but Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson just did a show that was a complete mess but also wildly entertaining and fun, featuring a bunch of wrestlers who were nothing in WWE but demonstrated charisma and talent when not being micro-managed to hell and back by an insane septuagenarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Isn't this one of the big issues with WWE and ads? It's why they went PG, and had to be shilling for 2nd rate advertisers like fruity Skittles?

I thought the skittles thing was just with JR but nope they're still doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIo1cJ_ALNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dri1Bcd7reI