Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wasn't there a line in that Will Smith concussion doctor movie that was basically "the NFL is so powerful they took a day away from the Church and it made it theirs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

not as good as “gently caress you sent from my iphone” but he’s got the spirit

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Pac-12, who has continuously shot itself in the foot for what feels like the last decade, decided to try to pay off the LA Times for positive coverage until Times staff called out the deal and they killed it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

An ESPN reporter defending their biggest corporate partner is "the liberal media"? 2020 is completely hosed up.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Hmm, interesting

https://twitter.com/ShutdownFullcas/status/1289286368242413568

On another note, when does the "furlough" end for the SBNation folks who got axed?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

PotatoJudge posted:

Hmm, interesting

https://twitter.com/ShutdownFullcas/status/1289286368242413568

On another note, when does the "furlough" end for the SBNation folks who got axed?

The 1st? I think? But spencer and jason are gone gone, not just furloughed. Who knows, maybe they're all teaming up with Defector (god i wish)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

this is me trying to not get my hopes up too high

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's definitely coming back, they have all been dropping hints about it on Twitter for weeks now. Just a matter of where. Wonder if Holly and Ryan's sbnation contracts are up soon?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

It's definitely coming back, they have all been dropping hints about it on Twitter for weeks now. Just a matter of where. Wonder if Holly and Ryan's sbnation contracts are up soon?

i don’t doubt that vox would be more than happy to shed as much cfb staff as it can get away with; that or maybe sbnation is willing to part with the fullcast and/or allow jason and spencer to appear as freelancers

e: that’s a word salad, basically vox doesn’t care about cfb coverage and i’m sure they’re willing to either facilitate or at the very least not stand in the way of something happening

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

MourningView posted:

I mean, if I didn’t have a steady job, but had the email addresses of a bunch of people that just paid me and my friends for a story that was only described as “college football Western” I’d probably figure out how to make that my steady job.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I have no idea how this stuff works, what will the overhead of a site like The Defector be? I'm talking outside of salaries. How much does it cost to keep a site of that size up?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Coco13 posted:

I mean, if I didn’t have a steady job, but had the email addresses of a bunch of people that just paid me and my friends for a story that was only described as “college football Western” I’d probably figure out how to make that my steady job.

Well Holly and Ryan currently have jobs (Ryan is actually relatively high up in the company as far as I know) and they're also dropping tons of fullcast hints. I don't know if they're leaving, if Vox is just dumping all paid staff for college football, or if they'd be allowed to do an outside podcast (I assume no since it hasn't happened yet). But yeah I would be surprised if the others didn't wind up doing something like this, they already sent out a survey a month or so ago asking what people would be willing to pay.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

MourningView posted:

Well Holly and Ryan currently have jobs (Ryan is actually relatively high up in the company as far as I know) and they're also dropping tons of fullcast hints. I don't know if they're leaving, if Vox is just dumping all paid staff for college football, or if they'd be allowed to do an outside podcast (I assume no since it hasn't happened yet). But yeah I would be surprised if the others didn't wind up doing something like this, they already sent out a survey a month or so ago asking what people would be willing to pay.

A Fullcast without ads for other Vox podcasts would be nice.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

PotatoJudge posted:

A Fullcast without ads for other Vox podcasts would be nice.

i still can't believe they thought the Fullcast's audience would be interested in "a musicologist and a critic give you the meaning behind all the pop you love"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there was one where some nerd voice vox dum dum apparently spends a half hour deconstructing a joke from some mediocre stand-up, and it seemed like the most excruciating thing possible.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Every Vox podcast ad seems like an intentional joke.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Troy Queef posted:

i still can't believe they thought the Fullcast's audience would be interested in "a musicologist and a critic give you the meaning behind all the pop you love"

I would actually listen to that if it was about the music I liked and not pop

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I have no idea how this stuff works, what will the overhead of a site like The Defector be? I'm talking outside of salaries. How much does it cost to keep a site of that size up?

Outside of any kind of salary? Probably between $200 and $1,000 a month.

e: i guess it could be more depending on what CMS they use

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

there was one where some nerd voice vox dum dum apparently spends a half hour deconstructing a joke from some mediocre stand-up, and it seemed like the most excruciating thing possible.

i’ve heard of that one, i think it’s called like good one or something like that

it’s a different comedian every week going over how their joke evolved over time, which is neat from a writing perspective but utter poison from a comedy perspective and also highly dependent on the guest (works better with navel gazing folks obvs)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Kibner posted:

Outside of any kind of salary? Probably between $200 and $1,000 a month.

e: i guess it could be more depending on what CMS they use

Holy poo poo, the bandwidth is that cheap? I had no idea.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was wondering how stuff like legal, accounting, payroll would work for an outfit like than.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Yeah, the Defector is going to need to keep a good libel attorney on retainer or they'll end up like Gawker.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Holy poo poo, the bandwidth is that cheap? I had no idea.

Yeah, bandwidth is just about the cheapest thing there is for a site, iirc. Licenses for the software you are using, cloud service features, and how much storage space you need typically cost more.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Media orgs can get libel insurance. Gawker died because the suit was deliberately targeted to fall into a gap in coverage that left Gawker on the hook.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/bobwojnowski/status/1289738245803315205

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

Yeah, the Defector is going to need to keep a good libel attorney on retainer or they'll end up like Gawker.

When did deadspin get into any trouble?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detroit sports media has a curse

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Teddybear posted:

Media orgs can get libel insurance. Gawker died because the suit was deliberately targeted to fall into a gap in coverage that left Gawker on the hook.

it wasnt a gap in coverage

they just quite literally didnt have it

and even then, they were found to be running a lovely enough corporation to be personally liable by the jury

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

As long as defector can manage to avoid showing people's sextapes against their will they'll probably be ok.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

is the twitter account for defector a rebrand of undeadspin?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doctor Teeth posted:

is the twitter account for defector a rebrand of undeadspin?

Yeah

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it wasnt a gap in coverage

they just quite literally didnt have it

and even then, they were found to be running a lovely enough corporation to be personally liable by the jury

There’s a lot of other shady poo poo around that suit, including moving it to Florida to make sure the damages were felt as much as possible. Peter Thiel has enough money for the best of the best when it comes to aggressive lawyering.

Only thing I can think of from Deadspin was the Favre stuff.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Detroit sports media has a curse

Being in Detroit is a curse in itself

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hahahaha the Sinful Seven is like 450 pages

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

R.D. Mangles posted:

Good thing I’m on a roll after knocking out Lonesome Dove

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

Is it out yet? I can see I can buy it on the website but I can’t tell if that’s just a preorder

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Is it out yet? I can see I can buy it on the website but I can’t tell if that’s just a preorder

It's out, once you buy it you'll get links to read it in whatever format you want. I haven't started it yet but it's on my kindle now

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i loving hate reading books on computers and don't have an e-reader thing, so i look forward to reading it at during down time at work

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Drive into work was rough this morning. Don't think I've ever felt like crying for the entire 45 minute commute. Jamie was a stand up guy, witty and funny, kind and generous to others. So of course, this being 2020 and all, he had to die of loving colon cancer at 48 and leave his wife and 3 young kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

R.D. Mangles posted:

i loving hate reading books on computers and don't have an e-reader thing, so i look forward to reading it at during down time at work

Wait, so what are you going to read it on? Is there an actual paper version?