Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though Final Fantasy has never let anything stop it from being all kinds of weird theme wise. IIRC I think it was 12-1 that was basically three Powerpuff Girls and a token guy thrown in because the suits wanted a male lead

I think you are mixing up X-2 (the characters are 3 women, there's no male lead, they swap jobs by switching clothes mid battle sailor moon style) and XII (it was originally written with an older world weary tough guy as the lead but got changed to a naive cheerful young kid to appeal to kids/teens).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Avalerion posted:

I think you are mixing up X-2 (the characters are 3 women, there's no male lead, they swap jobs by switching clothes mid battle sailor moon style) and XII (it was originally written with an older world weary tough guy as the lead but got changed to a naive cheerful young kid to appeal to kids/teens).

Not surprising, I can't remember poo poo. Also, that's like the opposite of what happened with NiER, kinda. Which is also possibly ahead of the curve or at least early on in the dad game trend.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
They should make a Lightning movie based on the creator wantung to marry and have sex with her. Its just as creepy as Other M but somehow has way more apologists.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://mobile.twitter.com/CBR/status/1289337456945270786

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I honestly find it hard to give a poo poo when some long dormant property gets a tie-in in another medium that nobody wanted. What next? Skate 4, but it's an anime?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I love how tepid the response to this. Everyone just. wants. the sequel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does everyone want the sequel? Does anyone, anymore? I feel like everyone kinda moved on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

feedmyleg posted:

Does everyone want the sequel? Does anyone, anymore? I feel like everyone kinda moved on.

Joseph Leonard Gordon-Levitt wants it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeK9CP84Qlk&t=460s

I remember there being some discussion about that, since it sounded like they wanted to pay you in exposure for your piece of content.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 1, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I honestly find it hard to give a poo poo when some long dormant property gets a tie-in in another medium that nobody wanted. What next? Skate 4, but it's an anime?

The answer is Splinter Cell but it's a Netflix animated series.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

feedmyleg posted:

Are you telling me you weren't excited about the two long rear end cutscene only trailers featuring no characters you recognized and nothing that really made it seem like it was even set in the same universe except for talking animals?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Does everyone want the sequel? Does anyone, anymore?

I disliked the (potential) sequel from the first trailer. They basically removed everything that people liked about the game and added swearwords.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A late note on the Metroidverse, but one can only ponder the implications that a Kirby tie in would have that Earth is a long-abandoned frozen wasteland.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Joseph Leonard Gordon-Levitt wants it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeK9CP84Qlk&t=460s

I remember there being some discussion about that, since it sounded like they wanted to pay you in exposure for your piece of content.

I mean that’s what the gaming community thought, despite the website’s entire point being “creative group projects, that the group actually can make money on”.

Yes, it’s unsurprising that games journalists would never actually bother to research something just outside of their wheelhouse and instead purse their lips, blow, and proclaim that clearly Ubisoft and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are ripping off people and then never follow up on it because lol actual journalism in video games.

So here’s Joseph Gordon-Levitt himself explaining how the whole thing works!

https://hitrecord.org/records/3565193

The whole website is also something that he and his brother, Dan, came up with before his career kicked up again, sixteen years ago (and why the gently caress not, he wanted to go do creative stuff, had 3rd Rock money which is more than any one human could ever need, and nobody was hiring him until Rian Johnson nabbed him for Brick and his acting career was resuscitated). Dan OD’d back in 2010, so the site kinda means a hell of a lot to JGL as like the last big thing he and Dan ever got to do together.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Cael posted:

Are you telling me you weren't excited about the two long rear end cutscene only trailers featuring no characters you recognized and nothing that really made it seem like it was even set in the same universe except for talking animals?

I enjoyed the tonal clash of all the random swearing so while watching this sequel to a cukt classic from the golden age of video gaming you had what felt like a gritty reboot for no reason.

No joke however the rendering on the dumplings was so.e of the best food graphics ever and i would just focus on more games including steamed dumplings.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There's also the fact that Beyond Good and Evil ended on a cliffhanger but Ubisoft keeps pushing forward with a sequel that's actually a prequel that won't address any of that poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

I disliked the (potential) sequel from the first trailer. They basically removed everything that people liked about the game and added swearwords.

Man you know a lot about a game that doesn't exist

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Man you know a lot about a game that doesn't exist
It's almost as the devs talked about what the game will (maybe) be like and released two trailers.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lid posted:

They should make a Lightning movie based on the creator wantung to marry and have sex with her. Its just as creepy as Other M but somehow has way more apologists.

That surprises me. I've spoken with FF13 fans, but even they've been of the opinion that Lightning is a vacant character.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Schwarzwald posted:

That surprises me. I've spoken with FF13 fans, but even they've been of the opinion that Lightning is a vacant character.

Oh i meant this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCd8yMBcOPw

But yeah Lightning has no character whatsoever and building a trilogy around her because the creator wanyed to have sex with her was painful. I was comparing it to Other M in that its another creator fetishising his own creation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

It's almost as the devs talked about what the game will (maybe) be like and released two trailers.

And you got enough insight from that to know they removed everything people liked about the original?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

And you got enough insight from that to know they removed everything people liked about the original?

Yes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just like how people got enough from the promo material to know RE7 was an Outlast clone with no combat, Doom 2016 was slow and boring, and Jumanji 2 was a garbage movie with no redeeming value?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Mr Ancel stop you're embarrassing yourself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Oh hey i forgot about this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_(video_game)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I've had a theory for a while now that Ubisoft loving loathes BGaE because it aesthetically and tonally clashes with nearly everything they've done since then and they just want to shove the whole thing down the memory hole, but their fans wont let them so they make some performative token effort every few years to keep them placated.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Huh, guess I’m hallucinating this:

https://youtu.be/S9YCRKFcMtE

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've had a theory for a while now that Ubisoft loving loathes BGaE because it aesthetically and tonally clashes with nearly everything they've done since then and they just want to shove the whole thing down the memory hole, but their fans wont let them so they make some performative token effort every few years to keep them placated.

The problem with that is that it presumes Ubisoft cares what fans think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume there's also the issue that the original didn't actually sell that well at all. So they don't want to put a ton of money and effort behind it and then nobody buys it again.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Beyond Good and Evil at least has enough of a coherent plot and cast to make a film out of it, which is more than can be said about most video games. The main character even has a personality, and grows over the course of the story. And it's fundementally about investigative journalism, so you don't need to keep 200 fights with monsters in the game just to make it feel like BG&E.

The strength of the game is that the story dovetails very well with the gameplay, though, so if you strip out all the gameplay and make a movie you're left with a not-very-complicated conspiracy theory plot in a very odd setting, so I'm not sure it would actually make a good movie. Maybe if you got Jim Henson Studios to do all the animal people as muppets, instead of making them CGI? That'd probably push it over the edge into "genuinely interesting movie" territory. All the aliens are definitely doable as people in suits or as big evil puppets in darkly lit rooms.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The original Beyond Good & Evil is one of my favorite games ever.

That being said I realized a long time ago that Ubisoft is just jerking us around and at this point I couldn’t care less about the sequel. As far as the movie goes...meh. 90% of video game movies are trash, if they even get made. I doubt this one will even get off the writer’s desk.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lid posted:

Oh i meant this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCd8yMBcOPw

But yeah Lightning has no character whatsoever and building a trilogy around her because the creator wanyed to have sex with her was painful. I was comparing it to Other M in that its another creator fetishising his own creation.

I knew about that, I just didn't realize the man had "apologists." Again, the few FF13 fans I know think the character sucks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Lightning, but she never had a chance to be anything much.

I liked her and Hope's murder mentorship.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

There are reports out the last few weeks Ubisoft has been a hellhole to work for.
Sexual harassment by top execs, old boys club covering each other up, and the yes/no to their games from just one person.
So no wonder a game that isn't climbing radio towers took 20 years.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
from what i understand this is what the deal is:

BG&E is Michel Ancel's baby. Michel Ancel is basically the daddy of Ubisoft, as a company (the creator of Rayman, for instance) and "Quebecois Shigeru Miyamoto" is not a bad description of how he is looked at there, so if he wants to make a game, there's no way in gently caress they're going to directly tell him no.

however, BG&E 1 sold like absolute dog poo poo and can at best be called a cult-classic game. meanwhile, every single other thing Ubisoft makes sells like hotcakes, and even as big as they are, they have a finite amount of manpower to make games.

so my guess is that they're deliberately keeping BG&E2 on the back burner, and not really actively developing it, but not cancelling it and letting Ancel scrounge up people from other teams to work on it whenever Far Cry or AssCreed or Division or etc are between games. and the long dev cycle is primarily because, whenever there's another Ubisoft game in active production, they're just straight up pausing dev on BG&E2.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ubisoft literally had a single over-the-top sexist sex pest in charge of greenlighting projects.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Ubisoft literally had a single over-the-top sexist sex pest in charge of greenlighting projects.
Was he the same guy who said at some major 'creative direction of the entire company' meeting that the protagonists of Ubi games had to be "STRAIGHT WHITE ALPHA MALES, NO EXCEPTIONS"? Resulting in Evie from AC Syndicate's share of the story being massively cut down (didn't matter, I played as her at all times unless a mission forced me to be Jacob, because he was a swaggering bell-end).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I assume there's also the issue that the original didn't actually sell that well at all.

Case in point: I got my copy of BG&E bundled with a can of Gillette shaving cream.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Payndz posted:

Was he the same guy who said at some major 'creative direction of the entire company' meeting that the protagonists of Ubi games had to be "STRAIGHT WHITE ALPHA MALES, NO EXCEPTIONS"? Resulting in Evie from AC Syndicate's share of the story being massively cut down (didn't matter, I played as her at all times unless a mission forced me to be Jacob, because he was a swaggering bell-end).

I know he was the guy who when a creative lead left the room to go to the bathroom, put on a song about loving (lead’s name) in numerous graphically described positions that he quickly shut off as she returned to the room to continue her pitch, at least. But what you wrote was probably also him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't they also pack a free copy with cheese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Cheese strings, thank you very much.