Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I am going to recommend my parents watch Community but I think that it really picks up with the type of humor and high level concepts that my father will like in Season 2. So, I'd like to skip some of the more "sitcom"-y episodes and get to where the show starts becoming more weird.

The episodes I'm thinking of skipping are: Spanish 101, Social Psychology (The Vaughn episode), the football episode, the episode where Jeff is homeless (another Vaughn episode), the episode where Chang and his wife have split, the religion episode, the episode with Annie and Vaughn (guess I just don't like Vaughn episodes), the family day episode, the april fool's episode, and the one with the stupid group of kids who keep saying Schmittty. Are any of those "must watches" for any of the sub-plots in them?

I think my father will most like the references to other types of pop culture, and absurd side plots, so episodes I'm expecting he'll like the most are the Poultry episode, the Sieze the Day episode, and the Paintball episode. Once we get to season 2 I feel like the show really embraces its weirdness so I'll probably recommend they watch the entirety of seasons 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I thought the first couple of episodes were kind of eh but it really picked up in the back half.

Does Matt Rhys remind anyone else of Bogart

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Superrodan posted:

(guess I just don't like Vaughn episodes)

S1 is my favorite season of community but any time Vaughn shows up I’m just all “Dammit!”
For whatever reason any episode he’s in is just weaker than the ones around it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I should watch Perry Mason huh?

It's pretty good! And yeah, the casting is stellar, Tatiana Maslany, Shea Whigham and Stephen Root plainly having a blast and they're just the ones I recognise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harley Quinn (the cartoon) is now on HBO Max.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great show, watch if you haven’t already

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Superrodan posted:

I am going to recommend my parents watch Community but I think that it really picks up with the type of humor and high level concepts that my father will like in Season 2. So, I'd like to skip some of the more "sitcom"-y episodes and get to where the show starts becoming more weird.

The episodes I'm thinking of skipping are: Spanish 101, Social Psychology (The Vaughn episode), the football episode, the episode where Jeff is homeless (another Vaughn episode), the episode where Chang and his wife have split, the religion episode, the episode with Annie and Vaughn (guess I just don't like Vaughn episodes), the family day episode, the april fool's episode, and the one with the stupid group of kids who keep saying Schmittty. Are any of those "must watches" for any of the sub-plots in them?

I think my father will most like the references to other types of pop culture, and absurd side plots, so episodes I'm expecting he'll like the most are the Poultry episode, the Sieze the Day episode, and the Paintball episode. Once we get to season 2 I feel like the show really embraces its weirdness so I'll probably recommend they watch the entirety of seasons 2 and 3.

Some of those I guess, but if you think about it you are literally picking out a handful, and most of them have something worth watching for. The football episode has the exchange with Troy and Jeff at the end:

The episode where Chang and his wife split features a couple good moments, but most notably the duet between Troy and Abed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAQq5WHVgTk

I also don't generally like the Vaughn episodes, but it may pull from the enjoyment of the season finale. Also, Getting Rid of the Britta is an all time banger. And the religion episode is good, it sets up all their faiths for the first time, gives you Anthony Michael Hall as the bully. I have nothing to say about the Schmitty episode though, feel free to skip.

Wait, is the religion episode the first Christmas episode, or the season 2 one where Abed form's a religion around an up its own rear end film while making a movie about Jesus for Shirley?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watch all of season 1 cos it rules

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Wait, is the religion episode the first Christmas episode, or the season 2 one where Abed form's a religion around an up its own rear end film while making a movie about Jesus for Shirley?

The season 1 one definitely has them all mentioning what religion they practice in some capacity.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The season 1 one definitely has them all mentioning what religion they practice in some capacity.

Right, I knew that, but I was asking what religion episode he was referring too. It was I believe well received (compared to the others mentioned) so it was doubly confusing, while I understand that Messianic Myths was polarizing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Right, I knew that, but I was asking what religion episode he was referring too. It was I believe well received (compared to the others mentioned) so it was doubly confusing, while I understand that Messianic Myths was polarizing.

Ohhh, now I gotcha. I think they were talking about the Christmas one just by virtue of the season 1 stuff. Shirley definitely has a bunch of religion stuff in it. It’s well-received but if you’re looking to skip the sitcom-y episodes I can see why.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm a little high and my wife is watching classic Unsolved Mysteries and these reenactments are trippy as gently caress.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Rhyno posted:

I'm a little high and my wife is watching classic Unsolved Mysteries and these reenactments are trippy as gently caress.

I can never tell if they have the actual people doing some of the reenactments. I've seen every episode at least once (so obviously i had to make the unsolved mysteries thread) and yet im always unsure.

May just be a face blindness thing tho

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Matthew McConaughey's first credited acting role is in one of those Unsolved Mysteries reenactments. I think he was a guy who got stabbed protecting his mom from a flasher.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Quite a few of the reenactments on Unsolved Mysteries were played out by the real people

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
This guy playing Carl in Umbrella Academy is like an aged up DJ Qualls.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have made a thread about Scooby-Doo. I would like you all to discuss Scooby-Doo and all his spooky pals in that thread with me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Holy poo poo the Assassin's Creed joke in this week's Corporate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I have made a thread about Scooby-Doo. I would like you all to discuss Scooby-Doo and all his spooky pals in that thread with me.

Do you get into the expanded dooniverse

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Open Source Idiom posted:

Holy poo poo the Assassin's Creed joke in this week's Corporate.

Share with the class?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1289759836574322688

cmon man

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

why god WHY

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Was just talking about whether or not he was still alive with one of my friends on Wednesday. The hell, man.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Share with the class?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I will say though, using "holy poo poo" for that in this particular episode is kinda burying the lead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah lol, it’s a hosed-up and intense episode for many other reasons.

is this season really only six episodes? that sucks

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

swickles posted:

I guess the stuff with Anthony Michael Hall kinda rubs me the wrong way, the "bully on campus scheduling a fight" stuff is just so trope-y and not in a way I really appreciate. Plus my father is a prominent member of his church and it's been a while but if I recall correctly Shirley comes off as particularly unaccepting/intolerant of others' religion and the bad guy so although I don't forsee that being an issue I'd rather just leave it be. Maybe I should give it another chance.

As for Messianic Myths, my father is also a movie buff who has actually tried his hand at writing and directing and I think he'll appreciate the absurdity and the different shooting styles at the very least.

The episodes I am trying to choose to cut admittedly are just the ones I remember thinking while I was watching felt like a "normal" show, where my favorite episodes of community are by far when they do weird stuff. For example, even though it was silly, the trampoline subplot in season 2 was so out there and different with such a weird payoff (the racist guy) that I loved it. It didn't seem like the type of B-plot I'd see anywhere else. I would have cut the pilot if I didn't feel it was needed to set everyone up.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Superrodan posted:

I guess the stuff with Anthony Michael Hall kinda rubs me the wrong way, the "bully on campus scheduling a fight" stuff is just so trope-y and not in a way I really appreciate. Plus my father is a prominent member of his church and it's been a while but if I recall correctly Shirley comes off as particularly unaccepting/intolerant of others' religion and the bad guy so although I don't forsee that being an issue I'd rather just leave it be. Maybe I should give it another chance.

As for Messianic Myths, my father is also a movie buff who has actually tried his hand at writing and directing and I think he'll appreciate the absurdity and the different shooting styles at the very least.

The episodes I am trying to choose to cut admittedly are just the ones I remember thinking while I was watching felt like a "normal" show, where my favorite episodes of community are by far when they do weird stuff. For example, even though it was silly, the trampoline subplot in season 2 was so out there and different with such a weird payoff (the racist guy) that I loved it. It didn't seem like the type of B-plot I'd see anywhere else. I would have cut the pilot if I didn't feel it was needed to set everyone up.

One major part of that episode though is that Shirley learns to accept her friends differences. The reason why she was so adamant about having a Christmas party was that because it was her first after her husband left. If anything its a story of acceptance and not the other way around. I wouldn't skip that one, it builds a lot of backstory for a lot of characters. Worse comes to worse you wasted 20 minutes...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thing is with s1 after the first few episodes even though it isn’t crazy or experimental yet it’s still line-for-line funnier than 99% of sitcoms. Like the first Vaughn episode and the Britta cheating episode are the only ones I can even imagine telling someone to skip and even then I still wouldn’t

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I like the episode where jeffs homeless because he hangs out with abed and it help sets up abeds motivation in the pulp fiction episode in s2.

also I like when they’re friends lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

I don't remember The Handler character from Season 1 of Umbrella Academy at all, but she's really good at the cruella deville type villain. I was trying to remember where I knew her from, she has a good villain face and attitude and I swore I've seen her as villain before. Turns out it's Kate Walsh and I know her from Grey's Anatomy, she didn't play a villain but everyone in that show was kind of villainous in how they liked to torture the audience by reading their scripts and acting out their parts on camera and making it be on TV.

This post took a wild turn

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's not wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not disagreeing with it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn’t know how Doom Patrol s2 would be when they had less Morrison stuff to crib from but it’s honestly been so loving tremendous

Every major plot point is Morrison stuff though? The Crazy Jane plot from the last episode is straight from the comic:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 2, 2020

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

I'm trying to make the point that while I like maple syrup on its own merits too it's just not the same without a bland, fluffy and comfortable pancake to round it out. One could even say the two accentuate each others best features.

I could drink maple syrup out of the bottle, but I won't.
Coward.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Alhazred posted:

Every major plot point is Morrison stuff though? The Crazy Jane plot from the last episode is straight from the comic:

If you're discussing season two then spoiler that please if you're discussing season one they already did that bit I thought?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:five:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Croatoan posted:

If you're discussing season two then spoiler that please if you're discussing season one they already did that bit I thought?

The Candlemaker and Dorothy is a major plot point in the back half of Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. So is Crazy Jane and her coming to terms with her childhood and the various personalities in her head

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wilford Brimley died out of heartache over Barkley 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am re-watching Better Off Ted for like the 3rd or 4th time because it popped up in my feed and what am I gonna do, not watch it?