Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well, first we need to get "filming tv shows" added to the list of essential businesses.

drat. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well, first we need to get "filming tv shows" added to the list of essential businesses.

Due to the robot wars, they've deemed the Orville crew essential personnel and for security/redundancy purposes, they've all been assigned to separate ships. Everyone communicates via "High Tech" "Vid Screens" that somehow look like a laptop's webcam and ear pods until the crises is resolved.

Also, the ships are all one man shuttles.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GigaPeon posted:

Due to the robot wars, they've deemed the Orville crew essential personnel and for security/redundancy purposes, they've all been assigned to separate ships. Everyone communicates via "High Tech" "Vid Screens" that somehow look like a laptop's webcam and ear pods until the crises is resolved.

Also, the ships are all one man shuttles.

Also Bortus had a terrible accident so his beautiful Moclan features now look like like a row of Oreos glued onto a bald human

And Yaphit was caught in a warp coil breech and lost a lot of mass and is having trouble maintaining his structural integrity so he's now confined to a silicate container carried around by a helpful crew member, which just happens to look a lot like Norm Macdonald with a big tumbler of whisky.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Norm Macdonald with a big tumbler of whisky.

Ah, yeah, the ice cubes keep my cells from axioplasmizing

I don't loving know, get off my glass!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Even not considering Covid it has been a loving LONG time since the last season - I know it ended in April 2019 but that likely means they were filming/doing it all in mid 2018 right?
You'd have expected season 3 to have been done in mid 2019 and then ready to roll in like Feb/Mar this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Specifically the reason why it moved to Hulu rather than Fox was that a more ambitious vision for season 3 meant that they wouldn't have been able to have it ready for a spring 2020 release. Since it could no longer be a midseason show for Fox, they released them to Hulu.

So, under the BEST circumstances, Season 3 wasn't likely to arrive prior to fall 2020. That's actually what they were planning on. With the pandemic, I would say spring 2021 is more likely at this point.

Seth said in May that they were literally in the middle of shooting an episode, in the middle of the season, when they shutdown production. So, shooting is only halfway done, but he was still working on the show remotely.

So, maybe we'll see a half season near the end of the year with the rest of the episodes to follow in 2021.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 6, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Seth said in May that they were literally in the middle of shooting an episode, in the middle of the season, when they shutdown production. So, shooting is only halfway done, but he was still working on the show remotely.

So there'll be an episode now where the actors are suddenly 6 months older halfway through?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

So there'll be an episode now where the actors are suddenly 6 months older halfway through?

yes, everyone except topa, who will be 10 years older overnight

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yup, he actually mentioned that exactly in the interview. There will be an episode midway through the season where they've all gained 30 lbs and he has a beard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yup, he actually mentioned that exactly in the interview. There will be an episode midway through the season where they've all gained 30 lbs and he has a beard.

Temporal anomalies are a dick

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

McSpanky posted:

Temporal anomalies are a dick

They should do this, and then resolve it like 5 episodes later when they start to realise something happened with time a few weeks before.

This is the interview btw: https://youtu.be/8p5p4xKRLWc

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Is it wrong if I want this in a wiki format or something that tells how all of these shows are supposed to be linked?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nullsmack posted:

Is it wrong if I want this in a wiki format or something that tells how all of these shows are supposed to be linked?

Judging by the fact that it already exists ...... uh, maybe?

https://tommywestphall.fandom.com/wiki/Tommy_Westphall_Universe

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nullsmack posted:

Mel Tourme is a real person, and played by the same guy who was also Mel Tourme on Night Court. Therefore the other people and events of Night Court exist in the real world.

It's about that level of logic.

Edit: Bet it gets way weirder when you get into how 1940s/50s comedy character actors would frequently play the same person in a bunch of different TV/radio shows and movies.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Eaglemoss (they of the endless Star Trek ship models) will be offering a model of The Orville this September.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Killer robot posted:

Mel Tourme is a real person, and played by the same guy who was also Mel Tourme on Night Court. Therefore the other people and events of Night Court exist in the real world.

It's about that level of logic.

Edit: Bet it gets way weirder when you get into how 1940s/50s comedy character actors would frequently play the same person in a bunch of different TV/radio shows and movies.

Is Richard Belzer really that old?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nullsmack posted:

This is where I think it comes from:

https://thetommywestphall.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/2016-update-peak-tommy-vision/

Specifically, I think this PDF lays out the relationships between shows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ptmduwn92g2as8/cross_key_2016.pdf?dl=0

Star Trek shows up there a few times, including the Star Trek/Webster crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHrCrh9FNUI

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"... According to Goodman and Costantino, they were around halfway through shooting the season when they shut down, but that doesn’t mean half the episodes are in the can; the show was being filmed using “cross-boarding,” meaning that scenes from various episodes were filmed (based on specifics like locations, actors, etc.), as opposed to shooting each episode one at a time. .. "

" Captain, this region of space causes people's weight and facial hair to randomly fluctuate. "

And then have Kelly have a goatee for a scene.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RETURN OF THE BORTUSTACHE!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Kelly and Gordon have weird tan lines on one of their fingers that appear and disappear

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think their marriage even lasted long enough to get a tan

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I thought they ended up not getting divorced...

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah they called it off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe it turned out one of them had cheated but then they found out it was because of alien pheremones so it wasn't their fault

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Maybe it turned out one of them had cheated but then they found out it was because of alien pheremones so it wasn't their fault

"Let's just agree this was problematic and move on. We have too many good epis-uh, memories besides this."

"Yeah, and it's not like this will have long-ranging effects on the plot--I mean relationship dynamics of future events."

"Absolutely. No need to review this if we're enjoying a rewatch of our... memories."

*several minutes of awkwardly avoiding eye contact with camera*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rumours going around from a single site that Hulu has cancelled the Orville. :/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Rumours going around from a single site that Hulu has cancelled the Orville. :/

What’s the site?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

https://www.thecinemaspot.com/2020/08/01/exclusive-the-orville-canceled-after-third-season-at-hulu/

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It doesn't make sense to announce anything now, unless there are some contractual deadlines looming. And even then I would think they would renegotiate and what not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I figure it would appear on multiple sites, so I'll hold my panic until it shows up somewhere I'm familiar with

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/TomCostantino/status/1289751717748195329?s=19

Producer says fake news

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Iron Crowned posted:

I figure it would appear on multiple sites, so I'll hold my panic until it shows up somewhere I'm familiar with

Yea and why would it get cancelled before this season has even AIRED?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Taear posted:

Yea and why would it get cancelled before this season has even AIRED?

Literally zero people have watched Season 3, looks like this show is dead. Cancel it, boys.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

S3 Orville is almost all I have to look forward to this hell year 3:<

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Is it even coming out this year

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Probably not. They only got halfway through filming the season. So, even if they were able to go back to filming right now (some shows are starting back up again), I doubt they would have enough time to film and to all the post and get done before the end of the year.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I just started watching this show and it owns hard.

Did they ever explain why Halston Sage left the show? Kinda a bummer. I really dig her character.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

sponges posted:

I just started watching this show and it owns hard.

Did they ever explain why Halston Sage left the show? Kinda a bummer. I really dig her character.

Not explicitly, but she and MacFarlane were dating and broke up, but she shows up later on in at the end of season 2 so it may just have been a bad fit like you see with lots of tv shows and early casting. No waves have been made.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That would explain it. God damnit Seth don’t date people you work with.

How’s the character they replace her with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sponges posted:

That would explain it. God damnit Seth don’t date people you work with.

How’s the character they replace her with?

Also very good

Different but good

The only downside is it's clear some of the scripts were already done and they just slotted her in