Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm ambivalent about this news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The show doesn't need him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hope season 4 wraps most of the current plotlines.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

itry posted:

The show doesn't need him.

I mean good riddance to the prick but he wrote the entire show, to a large extent it *is* him. For better or worse the next season after Ellis's material is through (assuming there is one) will be significantly different, his work has a very distinct voice and sensibility and whoever comes next won't have the same idiosyncrasies that made the show so distinct. Whatever comes next could still be good, but I really wouldn't take it for granted that ditching the author will have no bearing on the quality or tone of the show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean I really believe there are people who can write a good Castlevania show but the show we have now is absolutely 100% in his signature voice, and the transition could be very rough.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A lot of work goes into these type of shows. He may have written the story beats, but he didn't direct/cast/produce any of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If the rest of the production or Netflix wants to make another season with the same "feel", they can make it happen. If they aren't going to bother, I'm ok with that too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If S4 finishes up Trevor's story you can go for a clean break by jumping ahead in time and switching tone a bit. What I'm saying is, Castlevania should pull a JoJo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

itry posted:

A lot of work goes into these type of shows. He may have written the story beats, but he didn't direct/cast/produce any of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If the rest of the production or Netflix wants to make another season with the same "feel", they can make it happen. If they aren't going to bother, I'm ok with that too.

He was the showrunner and wrote the script for every episode in its entirety, without taking anything away from the directors or animators there was a heck of alot of his vision in the show.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

multijoe posted:

He was the showrunner and wrote the script for every episode in its entirety, without taking anything away from the directors or animators there was a heck of alot of his vision in the show.

Yeah, every piece of dialogue in the show is extremely Ellis. It's really inescapable if you've ever read any of his other works.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Did they say why he was leaving?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Google only has three recent write-ups I'm seeing (Superhero Hype, Bleeding Cool, and CBR). One says no direct statement has been made, and two say it was due to allegations, though link no evidence of any actual statement by Ellis or Netflix.

So I'm going to lean on no publicly given reason(s) yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

multijoe posted:

He's not the show runner, Adi Shankar is. Ellis is way too mercenary to be that involved in production besides writing the script.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

https://www.newsweek.com/warren-ellis-allegations-sexual-abuse-1517393

Serial sexual abuser, turns out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, we knew, but this is the media business, so there's no guarantee that's why he left.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Hope season 4 wraps most of the current plotlines.

Let’s be real here, this is Netflix, season 4 will be the last regardless of if they resolve everything or not, that’s just how they roll with mid-tier series.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

A new writer could be good or bad; the tone's already been set so it would be interesting to see how someone new develops it post-S4 if it continues.

As for Warren Ellis, things like this are going to keep happening so long as:

1) late Gen-X/early millenials are the biggest market (and everything so far suggests this is the new boomers);

2) the people who made the stuff this group liked as adolescents in the 90s/early 2000s, who are mostly nerd guys with deeply ingrained issues from high school, are around to pick up on that windfall;

3) there are young people who are interested in the same stuff and willing to suspend their skepticism when an old successful guy takes an interest in their career for reasons (and honestly it's pretty normal for a like 20-22 year old to be a bit naive about whether an older person has an ulterior motive / receptive to the message that he might be an old horndog but they are ~special~);

4) late millenials/gen Z haven't yet taken over as creators of most of the content that appeals to group 1.

I'd like to see a path for people who've been publicly shamed to continue to make stuff without either being celebrities or pariahs, but then so little entertainment gets big and the chance of getting big is such a huge incentive to aspiring creative types that maybe we're stuck with the current system, where 99.9% of people fail and the remaining 0.1% are showered with so much flattery that anyone who's at all insecure is very likely to end up abusing their celebrity.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s also something to be said for the fact that these deeply ingrained psycho-sexual dysfunctions inform the material that made/makes them famous in the first place. You can quite clearly see this being the case with people like Ellis, Louis CK, Chris D’Elia... these men became famous and powerful in part due to their views on sex and women and relationships and how those views influenced the work their fans consumed and responded to.

The first two years of #MeToo were extremely rough because after like the 5th or 6th big loss I had to take a step back and re-examine my entire life, because my favorite comedian, author, singer/songwriter, and actor all got #MeToo’d, and I realized that every man I had grown up admiring and let my tastes be defined by was an inappropriate deviant at best or a pedofile rapist at worst and I need to reckon with that and how I think that has shaped my own attitudes. It just sucks to think that you could be so deeply influenced by such hosed up people, or that the things that resonate with you on a deeper level might be the bastardized version of a real life story that caused one of these victims real pain.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s also something to be said for the fact that these deeply ingrained psycho-sexual dysfunctions inform the material that made/makes them famous in the first place. You can quite clearly see this being the case with people like Ellis, Louis CK, Chris D’Elia... these men became famous and powerful in part due to their views on sex and women and relationships and how those views influenced the work their fans consumed and responded to.

The first two years of #MeToo were extremely rough because after like the 5th or 6th big loss I had to take a step back and re-examine my entire life, because my favorite comedian, author, singer/songwriter, and actor all got #MeToo’d, and I realized that every man I had grown up admiring and let my tastes be defined by was an inappropriate deviant at best or a pedofile rapist at worst and I need to reckon with that and how I think that has shaped my own attitudes. It just sucks to think that you could be so deeply influenced by such hosed up people, or that the things that resonate with you on a deeper level might be the bastardized version of a real life story that caused one of these victims real pain.

A lot of it is also power. When people are able to push around their power and no they will receive little to no consequence to them then their real character emerges.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So many of our cultural heroes have this misbeggotten attitude when it comes to women its insane and I'm exempting the 60s and 70s here.

As a straight dude, the idea of going into the arts "to pick up chicks" is so heavily ingrained its insane. And I'm starting to see it as problematic. Shy, introverted, or less than smooth guys using their skills to impress women that wouldnt ordinarily look twice at them seems innocuous to me but when its then used totrawl through impressionable young women like your a ship off Alaska and they're krill is when it turns absolutely lovely.

Establishing that line comes down to power dynamics I suppose, like everything else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And most people nowadays are at best not taught, at worst deliberately miseducated about power dynamics.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dias posted:

If S4 finishes up Trevor's story you can go for a clean break by jumping ahead in time and switching tone a bit. What I'm saying is, Castlevania should pull a JoJo.

I'm okay with getting some seasons of Simon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think the only issue with Simon is that he never really had companions in the games, so they'd have to round out the cast outside of the source material. Though I guess they've built up Alucard and Carmilla and her sisters enough to still be around when another generation of Belmonts comes around.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DO DRACULA WAR

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sticklefifer posted:

I think the only issue with Simon is that he never really had companions in the games, so they'd have to round out the cast outside of the source material. Though I guess they've built up Alucard and Carmilla and her sisters enough to still be around when another generation of Belmonts comes around.

Someone said earlier to just have Simon do a noir monologue the entire time while killing skeletons with axes.

Either that or, I dunno, Isabelle.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

He can talk to his imaginary friends. He'll have something in common with Alucard.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Julius when

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Just elevate randos he finds in the villages of Castlevania II.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Just have Simon talk to his hair.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thundercracker posted:

And keep the poor translation.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think nows the time for a new direction for the show. Now hear me out on this this one...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

It's Error and Bug's time to shine!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/samueldeats/status/1379207920974434305?s=21

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This is a surprise, I thought this whole thing had been poo poo canned harder than Warren Ellises career.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 4 or the show?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know that's Lord of the Rings but I sure hope this doesn't go Hobbit on us for Season 4.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Technowolf posted:

It's Error and Bug's time to shine!
That was Zelda 2.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'm confused. Are we happy or sad?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still don't know if they're saying the next season is done or the show itself is canceled and done.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still don't know if they're saying the next season is done or the show itself is canceled and done.

If it was canceled I feel like they wouldn't bother teasing it. Maybe it ends with S4, maybe the tweet is just bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Judging by the replies it sounds like it was an exhausting season to do. Most of their other replies to people are gifs of characters crawling into bed (or comical substitutes).