Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Half-wit posted:

Has a bunch of other stuff, but also has Bio-Gardens that can reduce pollution of some sort in there:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Bio_Industries

As i mentioned earlier, that more importantly also has tree planting by missile, which is super satisfying and very effective.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Xik posted:

If the environment is going to look like rear end with pollution then we really need some options to manage it.

At the moment there are no tools to do this, only tools to manage the result of the pollution (biters). Pollution is just a guaranteed side effect of the factory so it seems weird to punish the player for just playing the game as intended.

Its only weird if you consider green water to be punishment. It doesn't affect gameplay at all.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Green water is sign of progress. Pave the world and turn it's water into lime kool-aid. It's the only way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think it would look better if the dirty water was brown or grey. Green water says "algae bloom" more than "industrial runoff" to me. I like the concept though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

As i mentioned earlier, that more importantly also has tree planting by missile, which is super satisfying and very effective.

Tree.... Planting? What is this heresy

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mithaldu posted:

This is the best thing ever and I need that mod next time I play.

Count Roland posted:

Its only weird if you consider green water to be punishment. It doesn't affect gameplay at all.

Green water is ugly/icky.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Tree.... Planting? What is this heresy

Combine it with flame throwers for maximum fun.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
This thing still supposed to 1.0 in a couple weeks, or did they push that out?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
1.0 is supposed to be Aug 14. That's why they've been focused more on cosmetic stuff recently - it's less likely to break other things and easier to revert if it's not done in time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Latest patch seems to have introduced a noticeable moment of lag immediately after clicking to place a blueprint or a paste. Is this happening to everyone or is my save game that's been running across multiple versions getting bad?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like the idea of polluted water, but the implementation doesn't look good. It should look oily, not just green.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm sure someone will mod it so it's brown and icky, with dead fish floating in it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

All the talk of making horrible polluting factories that destroy the environment does make me a little disappointed you can't just absolutely annihilate Biters through sufficient environmental destruction via pollution. I mean, it would kind of defeat the purpose of the mechanic... but in such a case, if all this pollution is making the Biters stronger, they clearly should be thanking us.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They are thanking you. They are returning the favor by polluting your base and/or face with their acid.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

K8.0 posted:

They are thanking you. They are returning the favor by polluting your base and/or face with their acid.

Which does make you stronger. If they didn't, you'd never build all those guns and bullets.

Probably still build the nukes to clear trees though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Oxyclean posted:

All the talk of making horrible polluting factories that destroy the environment does make me a little disappointed you can't just absolutely annihilate Biters through sufficient environmental destruction via pollution. I mean, it would kind of defeat the purpose of the mechanic... but in such a case, if all this pollution is making the Biters stronger, they clearly should be thanking us.

Our belief, based on intelligence assessments, is that our Engineer will be greeted with flowers, as a liberator.

It is imperative that we prevent the Biters from stockpiling and one day deploying chemical, biological, and nukular weapons.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tenebrais posted:

I think it would look better if the dirty water was brown or grey. Green water says "algae bloom" more than "industrial runoff" to me. I like the concept though.

Yeah this is my opinion as well.

I like the idea, just not the coloration. Grey or brown would be better. Or a variety of colors.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Alkydere posted:

Yeah this is my opinion as well.

I like the idea, just not the coloration. Grey or brown would be better. Or a variety of colors.

Disco Pollution mod?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Disco Pollution mod?

I mean, I was thinking different areas got different pollution colors...but yeah sure. That sounds hilarious!

Need a mod that makes all the pollution into :pcgaming: disco.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

That grimy oil water from the first Portal game is what I'd like. Just looking at it you could tell it was saturated with heavy metals and acid.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Found a fairly important thing to not do when using TSM.

The spot where all the trains sit waiting for requests is the supply stations. If you have a design you like for a supply depot, might want to blueprint it instead of copy/pasting, as when you do a copy/paste of an existing depot, even if the newly pasted depot is not attached to the rail network, it seems to instantly break all of the trains that are already sitting in supply stations of the same name you just copied. Other trains assigned to that station are unaffected as long as you've renamed the pasted stations before that train hits a supply depot, so you end up with 1 or 2 active trains for a given supply depot and all the rest just sit there waiting for.. something. Have to click them off to manual, delete the 'unload' order and turn them back to automatic to get them to add a new proper unload order and start running again.

Not a big deal, I just need to remember not to copy/paste the rail sections with TSM stations!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Locator posted:

Found a fairly important thing to not do when using TSM.

The spot where all the trains sit waiting for requests is the supply stations. If you have a design you like for a supply depot, might want to blueprint it instead of copy/pasting, as when you do a copy/paste of an existing depot, even if the newly pasted depot is not attached to the rail network, it seems to instantly break all of the trains that are already sitting in supply stations of the same name you just copied. Other trains assigned to that station are unaffected as long as you've renamed the pasted stations before that train hits a supply depot, so you end up with 1 or 2 active trains for a given supply depot and all the rest just sit there waiting for.. something. Have to click them off to manual, delete the 'unload' order and turn them back to automatic to get them to add a new proper unload order and start running again.

Not a big deal, I just need to remember not to copy/paste the rail sections with TSM stations!

Raise a bug report with the Devs and they'll probably solve it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I made a thing.

12 blue belts of green circuits.

Eventually I will need to replace the local copper & iron with train supply stations, but it will be a long while as the current patches are heavily over-supplying the setup so I can lose a fairly high percentage of the miners (and they aren't currently beaconed at tall) before needing to do that.

I know this is nothing compared to some of the megafactory construction setups, but it's one of the larger single supply stations I've ever made personally, usually I've done multiple smaller sites with trains supplying the raw materials.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Picked this up last week or so, spent a few days slowly going through the .18 campaign thing, then jumped into a freeplay default game. I think I find the freeplay easier than the tutorials because I'm not constrained by someone else's layouts. This game scratches exactly the itch I want base builder games to scratch. Building things to run cleanly and efficiently is my jam, so I really hate my current base. :v

I've been playing 'blind', without looking at how to build ideal layouts and stuff, though I've been reading this thread and watching the occasional slow Let's Play on Youtube, so some knowledge has probably snuck in. Like I know the concept of a main bus (but I've not looked into how to organise one, so I'm definitely not doing it right, if at all)

Unlabeled green line is the water pipe coming in from my offshore pump.

Focused on getting red/green science automated and didn't realise I'd be needing green circuits for red circuits later on. So I've had to build another few assemblers over on the right to get a decent amount of them going. Seems like I left an assembler out, too, as there's one with no recipe.

Also didn't realise how much room I'd need for smelting Iron, hence the second set of smelters in the middle, near the train importing iron ore (which is slowly backing up because of smelting throughput).

The thing I'm most/least proud of is the ammo belt(s?). It started as a single belt to a few turrets but is now about 5 belts, some fed by inserters from other belts, to get red bullets to my turrets. This is horrible but it at least Sort of Works, however it doesn't really solve restocking turrets on my iron and coal outposts, which are now starting to get attacked too. I was considering loading ammo onto the trains and using filter inserters to place ammo on the belts on the outpost ends, but I wasn't sure how the "wait for full cargo/wait for empty cargo" logic would work with that, so I've abandoned the idea for now.

Next plans:
- Move my boilers/steam generators to the waterside rather than piping water out to my base, as the water is near my new coal outpost so I can probably better fuel my power grid from there.
- Smelt iron at the iron outpost and ship plates instead of ore, because I don't know wtf is happening with my iron layout atm, but my existing smelters can keep up with my original iron deposit so they can stay until that's gone.
- Oil ?????
- Switch to laser turrets to avoid having to belt ammo literally everywhere, but boost power generation so I have the capacity to fire them.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

quote:

Also didn't realise how much room I'd need for smelting Iron, hence the second set of smelters in the middle, near the train importing iron ore (which is slowly backing up because of smelting throughput).

First rule of factorio is you will always need more space.

Fortunately space is functionally free (especially when you get the tank) and unlimited.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Picked this up last week or so, spent a few days slowly going through the .18 campaign thing, then jumped into a freeplay default game. I think I find the freeplay easier than the tutorials because I'm not constrained by someone else's layouts. This game scratches exactly the itch I want base builder games to scratch. Building things to run cleanly and efficiently is my jam, so I really hate my current base. :v

I've been playing 'blind', without looking at how to build ideal layouts and stuff, though I've been reading this thread and watching the occasional slow Let's Play on Youtube, so some knowledge has probably snuck in. Like I know the concept of a main bus (but I've not looked into how to organise one, so I'm definitely not doing it right, if at all)

Unlabeled green line is the water pipe coming in from my offshore pump.

Focused on getting red/green science automated and didn't realise I'd be needing green circuits for red circuits later on. So I've had to build another few assemblers over on the right to get a decent amount of them going. Seems like I left an assembler out, too, as there's one with no recipe.

The thing I'm most/least proud of is the ammo belt(s?). It started as a single belt to a few turrets but is now about 5 belts, some fed by inserters from other belts, to get red bullets to my turrets. This is horrible but it at least Sort of Works, however it doesn't really solve restocking turrets on my iron and coal outposts, which are now starting to get attacked too. I was considering loading ammo onto the trains and using filter inserters to place ammo on the belts on the outpost ends, but I wasn't sure how the "wait for full cargo/wait for empty cargo" logic would work with that, so I've abandoned the idea for now.

Next plans:
- Move my boilers/steam generators to the waterside rather than piping water out to my base, as the water is near my new coal outpost so I can probably better fuel my power grid from there.
- Smelt iron at the iron outpost and ship plates instead of ore, because I don't know wtf is happening with my iron layout atm, but my existing smelters can keep up with my original iron deposit so they can stay until that's gone.
- Oil ?????
- Switch to laser turrets to avoid having to belt ammo literally everywhere, but boost power generation so I have the capacity to fire them.

If you want to learn i can highly recommend the serie "Welcome to Factorio" by Nilaus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4IjjaCtXHk

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I want to learn more, but I'm enjoying fumbling around. Not knowing what stuff is coming up to research next means I'm having to react organically to stuff like "oh hell, , and I feel like it would ruin the game for me if I was to look up how to do things 'properly' for my first play through.

I'm sure later, for squeezing every bit of performance out of my factories and optimising it to hell, I'll have plenty to learn.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Surprise T Rex posted:

I want to learn more, but I'm enjoying fumbling around. Not knowing what stuff is coming up to research next means I'm having to react organically to stuff like "oh hell, , and I feel like it would ruin the game for me if I was to look up how to do things 'properly' for my first play through.

I'm sure later, for squeezing every bit of performance out of my factories and optimising it to hell, I'll have plenty to learn.

Oh def. Your first, or first few, factories will suck and be awful and that's part of the fun. When you're done banging your head against the wall though i really recommend those vids.

I would pay a lot to be able to play Factorio for the first time again.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Picer posted:

Oh def. Your first, or first few, factories will suck and be awful and that's part of the fun. When you're done banging your head against the wall though i really recommend those vids.

I would pay a lot to be able to play Factorio for the first time again.

play pymods :)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Or expensive research/recipes if you want to stay vanilla.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

pymods with expensive research :colbert:

(it's actually what i'm playing)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Mithaldu posted:

pymods with expensive research :colbert:

(it's actually what i'm playing)

You got Biters on? With Rampant? :v:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Speaking of Nilaus, he's been doing a deathworld run on YouTube which I find quite enjoyable. He's really good at building but not great at combat; the result is him working on a level I understandable to very bad player like myself.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

XkyRauh posted:

You got Biters on? With Rampant? :v:

Yep. :black101:

Without Bio Industries i wouldn't have made it.

What's Rampant?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Surprise T Rex posted:

Shift right/left click is copy/paste building settings. Also copying with control-C will put the same settings on the ghosts laid down with control-V, and when you build they will have those settings. Easiest ways of dealing with those situations when you're building stuff.

Surprise T Rex posted:

It's not very obvious, but you can filter train wagon slots so only certain cargo can go into them, and filters (including your toolbelt) can be cleared with middle click. Between that and filter inserters you could definitely make things work the way you're thinking, although there are plenty of other approaches as well. You could also switch to using timers for loading/unloading rather than full/empty.

I'm trying to avoid giving you any explicit non-UI hints on your fundamental approach to the game, but one I will give you is that you should probably utilize stone bricks to lay paths. They're extremely cheap/efficient and moving around faster is great.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 4, 2020

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
That's handy to know, yeah I didn't think I could filter cargo trains, I guess I know what my mission is tonight then. :v:

My approach for now was to just get offensive and clear out some of the biters who were threatening my outposts, so I've at least kicked that can down the road a bit.

Spent a big chunk of time earlier rolling out changes to my power setup, so all of that is centralised near the water with no need to pipe water around, and getting my coal outpost to be my primary source of fuel. Now it belts directly to my boilers and excess coal is shipped over to my new smelting area around my first off-site iron outpost.

Now I just need to rip out my old iron smelting setup, and clear some more space, reimplement 90% of my base, and then make sure that I find a new copper source and do the same thing for copper.

THEN I can get blue science started. I've had black science automated for AGES and haven't even started on what I need for blue yet.

I love and hate how each task you finish opens up about 5 more things you should do.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Surprise T Rex posted:

That's handy to know, yeah I didn't think I could filter cargo trains, I guess I know what my mission is tonight then. :v:

My approach for now was to just get offensive and clear out some of the biters who were threatening my outposts, so I've at least kicked that can down the road a bit.

Spent a big chunk of time earlier rolling out changes to my power setup, so all of that is centralised near the water with no need to pipe water around, and getting my coal outpost to be my primary source of fuel. Now it belts directly to my boilers and excess coal is shipped over to my new smelting area around my first off-site iron outpost.

Now I just need to rip out my old iron smelting setup, and clear some more space, reimplement 90% of my base, and then make sure that I find a new copper source and do the same thing for copper.

THEN I can get blue science started. I've had black science automated for AGES and haven't even started on what I need for blue yet.

I love and hate how each task you finish opens up about 5 more things you should do.

Absolutely, the fun of the game is finishing a big task and going "what's next?", followed by a huge groan as the next hill is twice as tall and steep. Then you break it down, go step by step, and watch the pieces fall into place as you conquer the new challenge.

I am a Bad Factorio Player who weaves spaghetti and builds everything off the cuff. I've never even made a train or a logistics network. Doesn't matter because game is fun even if you make everyone else cry with your factory.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Absolutely, the fun of the game is finishing a big task and going "what's next?", followed by a huge groan as the next hill is twice as tall and steep. Then you break it down, go step by step, and watch the pieces fall into place as you conquer the new challenge.

I am a Bad Factorio Player who weaves spaghetti and builds everything off the cuff. I've never even made a train or a logistics network. Doesn't matter because game is fun even if you make everyone else cry with your factory.

I played for a very long time before building my first train network and even longer before actually trying to use robots to move stuff for anything other than building or tearing stuff down.

One day I discovered the magic of robots for supplying all the garbage for making a completely unorthodox 'mall' that was a series of bit 'U' shapes where I could just go into the middle to go grab all the stuff I needed, and it forever broke my concept of how to do things in the game, although I've still never done a truly robot-based base, just parts of it that vary wildly from map to map.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
After K2, I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing vanilla game when 1.0 drops. Well, vanilla with TSM because that looks wicked cool, and a bunch of other QOL mods, but vanilla none the less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

After K2, I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing vanilla game when 1.0 drops. Well, vanilla with TSM because that looks wicked cool, and a bunch of other QOL mods, but vanilla none the less.

I see that you and I share the same definition of "Vanilla".. lol..

My current "Vanilla" game:
Afraid of the Dark
Auto Deconstruct
Big Brother
Bottleneck
Construction Drones (abandoned after early game and I get normal robots)
Even Distribution
EvoGUI
Explosive Excavation
FNEI (which I really don't use and should disable as it's a vanilla game as far as recipes go)
Inbuilt Lightning
Long Reach
Max Rate Calculator
Merging Chests (using this for the first time instead of a warehouse mod. I like it)
Miniloader (gotta have loaders!)
Power Armor MK3
Side Inserters
Squeak Through
TinyStart (really should have disabled it for this game with Constuction Bots mod, never used it)
Train Supply Manager
Water Well (I haven't used - should have disabled due to Explosive Excavation mod)
YARM - Resource Monitor

So yeah, totally a vanilla game!