Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ive never played subnautica but survival mechanics make me nervous

you can disable hunger/thirst and even oxygen if you want. I disabled hunger/thirst because I wanted to explore a dope world instead of janitoring stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't mind air or hunger but the thirst timer seemed to be custom-fitted to bug the poo poo out of me. I kept hoping to find a stillsuit pisscycler blueprint right up until I beat the game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that master chief is really rustling my jimmies

Sagebrush posted:

it looks like every other halo to me, op

that's the problem, this is supposed to be the big fancy new halo that looks so cool it sells you a new xbox or at least a subscription to gamepass

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

that master chief is really rustling my jimmies

that's the problem, this is supposed to be the big fancy new halo that looks so cool it sells you a new xbox or at least a subscription to gamepass

well it's still gotta work on the xbox one x tv sports machine from 7 years ago or w/e so good luck with that. every halo has been bad since bungie left i'm surprised people still give a poo poo.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

At least Microsoft has the new flight simulator, I think the XBSX will be fairly popular with the grognards.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

I don't mind air or hunger but the thirst timer seemed to be custom-fitted to bug the poo poo out of me. I kept hoping to find a stillsuit pisscycler blueprint right up until I beat the game

:yossame: except I didn't beat the game

burning swine
May 26, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

subnautica is amazing but it’s riddled with technical issues

mega agreedo but it's definitely worth playing anyway

related: why is there a ghost leviathan endlessly hanging around right next to lifepod 5 in my game? That's right where I built my first and largest base and it's annoying. safe shallows my rear end lol

spoilerish:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

burning swine posted:

mega agreedo but it's definitely worth playing anyway

related: why is there a ghost leviathan endlessly hanging around right next to lifepod 5 in my game? That's right where I built my first and largest base and it's annoying. safe shallows my rear end lol

spoilerish:

:rip:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i finished carrion last night. it's a good 5-6 hour game. maybe another hour or two to get 100%.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is Subnautica something that should be played in VR for the first time?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

the pc HD remaster is coming out in like six weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mNQxLUHyg

day 1 purchase for me
Skate 4 or Die

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fall guys looks like its gonna be the perfect party game if they add some content

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ShadowHawk posted:

it's cool but performs significantly worse in VR than normal '2d' mode (which is true of everything but really, really pronounced with subnautica- especially since not having a far rendering distance kinda screws up exploration)

so yeah, despite it being an option i never use it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ShadowHawk posted:

how much do you suffer from fucktehoceanophobia

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

unfortunately no, the hud is hosed up and it only has smooth movement and the performance is terrible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

no. it wasn't designed for VR and it's clearly a hack and it sucks.

if you have room-scale it might be nice to just go into a kelp patch with god mode on and spin around and look at stuff, but you can't play the whole game in vr.

just play it in a dark room with headphones

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sagebrush posted:

if you have room-scale it might be nice to just go into a kelp patch with god mode on and spin around and look at stuff, but you can't play the whole game in vr.

yeah, the only times i've even done it was to check out a place i already know is cool in first person for 10 minutes until i get frustrated and go back to 2d

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

At least Microsoft has the new flight simulator, I think the XBSX will be fairly popular with the grognards.

i finally got into the beta and it's fuckin rad as hell. i plunked myself at a local airport and took off to another and did it by just following the highways and shorelines and compass as i do in real life. got near the destination and the virtual air traffic controller told me to enter a 3 mile final and i was like "hm, okay, well for that in real life i'd me making my turn right...about..." and bam there's the exact specific building that i use as a landmark, right where it should be. poo poo is crazy.

i really need a new computer though. i can only get 20-25fps on medium settings (at 3.4k, tbf) and i wannt crank every slider to the right

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

i finally got into the beta and it's fuckin rad as hell. i plunked myself at a local airport and took off to another and did it by just following the highways and shorelines and compass as i do in real life. got near the destination and the virtual air traffic controller told me to enter a 3 mile final and i was like "hm, okay, well for that in real life i'd me making my turn right...about..." and bam there's the exact specific building that i use as a landmark, right where it should be. poo poo is crazy.

i really need a new computer though. i can only get 20-25fps on medium settings (at 3.4k, tbf) and i wannt crank every slider to the right

if you fly over a metropolitan airspace that's not part of your flight plan do you get shot down by predator drones?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sadly no. i deliberately busted through a bunch of class B airspace and restricted areas while tuned to 121.5 to see if they'd yell at me but nothing happened. i even landed at edwards air force base just by calling them up like any other tower and saying i was inbound to land.

though if you don't respond to a radio call they will call back after 30 seconds and say "please acknowledge".

maybe they will have interceptions in the release version!!!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
fly over area 51 and tell us what you see

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i saw a alien but microsoft says i'm not allowed to show you.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
installed subnautica after reading the op and the many positive comments in the thread and I really love it so far.

about 4 hours in, i’m still discovering quite a few new things every half hour or so and I really want to find out more. the absence of any quantitative completion indicators is a big factor in this. you just discover and build and learn how to do things and it feels like real progress. I feel like a lot of games these days are stuffed with grindy make the number go up minigames (often with the alternative to insert $ in microtransactions to skip them) and while they’re not all bad, I kinda feel cheated out of my time after playing them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the vr implementation was real bad BUT it was cool to simply boost around swimming looking at poo poo in VR

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

subnautica has a whole lot of tricks that make the survival crafting loop feel more like a game and less like a grind.

imo the best thing they did in the whole game though was make combat not a thing at all. imagine how much lamer this game would have been if 2/3 of the upgrades were just “build bigger gun to kill bigger thing gatekeeping new area”. ugh.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

for VR hat-havers; FALLOUT4 and SKYRIM are available cheap via GMG right now. Skyrim is the more polished game (and even then it's a hack / shoehorn vr implementation) but I really liked the pistol gunplay in F4, plus they are both still the only true big open world VR games on offer.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-vr-pc/

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/fallout-4-vr/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
buy skyrim vr, put a lightning spell on each hand, and wave them around shouting “unlimited power”

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Subnautica is great but a version with functioning vr would be both incredible and give me a heart attack

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i’m almost through frozenbyte’s shadwen and it’s a great superhot/asscreed core game loop in search of a story, or characterization, or depth, etc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

for VR hat-havers; FALLOUT4 and SKYRIM are available cheap via GMG right now. Skyrim is the more polished game (and even then it's a hack / shoehorn vr implementation) but I really liked the pistol gunplay in F4, plus they are both still the only true big open world VR games on offer.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-vr-pc/

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/fallout-4-vr/

idk how skyrim vr is but fo4vr is broken abandonware

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

thats how you know its a beloved bethesda game

is there a massive unofficial patch for it too, or does it share the one from fo4?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Shaggar posted:

fallout 4 VR is actually really awesome, but you have to put in a lot of work to get it there

Agile Vector posted:

is there a massive unofficial patch for it too, or does it share the one from fo4?

there's this: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4vr/comments/i2miic/fovr_essentials_41/ which gives you everything and the kitchen sink, but now that i have it installed i'm spending time removing poo poo from it. when i'm done FO4VR should be playable again. i just wish i hadn't lost my old install :sigh:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
maybe i'll pick it up again one day :/ i hopped on the last bethesda VR bundle and, after a couple of months having stuff installed/trying for 30 minutes at a time/getting frustrated and wishing I were playing something else, it's kinda not worth it

also doom VFR was having issues with the index controllers but maybe that's better now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone play Space Hulk Deathwing..? Its as cheap as it's ever been at the moment and I like the idea of playing a 1st person Space Marine shooter

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/space-hulk-deathwing

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

psiox posted:

maybe i'll pick it up again one day :/ i hopped on the last bethesda VR bundle and, after a couple of months having stuff installed/trying for 30 minutes at a time/getting frustrated and wishing I were playing something else, it's kinda not worth it

also doom VFR was having issues with the index controllers but maybe that's better now

if the bethesda bundle includes skyrim VR, and you have no preference, then i'd say play that rather than fallout. it's a lot easier to get working; you hardly have to mod it at all (by which i mean 4 hours of effort rather than 40)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Anyone play Space Hulk Deathwing..? Its as cheap as it's ever been at the moment and I like the idea of playing a 1st person Space Marine shooter

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/space-hulk-deathwing

i played through it co-op and it was a blast. the levels are pretty samey and there's no plot to speak of beyond PURGE THE XENOS but it does a good job of making you feel like a walking tank equipped with a plasma cannon.

i don't think it would be as fun single-player.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Foo Diddley posted:

fallout 4 VR is actually really awesome, but you have to put in a lot of work to get it there

there's this: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4vr/comments/i2miic/fovr_essentials_41/ which gives you everything and the kitchen sink, but now that i have it installed i'm spending time removing poo poo from it. when i'm done FO4VR should be playable again. i just wish i hadn't lost my old install :sigh:

oh wow, I'll have to take a look! im curious how much some of the performance fix mods could smooth even vanilla fo4. the engine still struggles in the city on 10xx and 20xx cards which seems silly. whatever changes fo76 made work well, but i suspect that might be a mix of more aggressive rendering constraints and engine changes

that install bundle is daunting though and gives me morrowind visual overhaul vibes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/deathoftheparty/status/1290649594360201220

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Agile Vector posted:

oh wow, I'll have to take a look! im curious how much some of the performance fix mods could smooth even vanilla fo4. the engine still struggles in the city on 10xx and 20xx cards which seems silly. whatever changes fo76 made work well, but i suspect that might be a mix of more aggressive rendering constraints and engine changes

that install bundle is daunting though and gives me morrowind visual overhaul vibes

for performance, this is actually what made the biggest difference for me:

it ran like absolute poo poo until i did this, and now it's close enough to 90 fps to not make me sick. i don't remember what the equivalent was on oculus, and have no idea about other headsets. also set it to 90 fps if you've got a headset that will do more because more than that will gently caress things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I think I posted it before, but one of my favourite VR moments was in FO4VR - I was at the Drive-in location where you can build a settlement but you have to clear it out of big ugly molerats first, I plinked a bunch of them from the roof then jumped down to finish off the last couple with my pistol. Now the game didn't ship with proper positional 3D audio but a patch added it, and a good job as well, I heard a loud SKREEK behind me and even as I was turning I put my gun hand behind me and cranked the trigger, finished the 180 turn to have a dead molerat literally slide to a stop at my feet. gently caress I wish I was recording that :o: