Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

What do you people use to protect your carpet from your rolling computer chairs?

I'm moving in to a rental next week, it has newer carpet and I want to try and protect it as much as I can over the next year.

I got a bamboo chair mat, something similar to this. Mine can roll up like a carpet.
https://www.amazon.com/Anji-Mountai...ps%2C168&sr=8-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hughmoris posted:

What do you people use to protect your carpet from your rolling computer chairs?

I'm moving in to a rental next week, it has newer carpet and I want to try and protect it as much as I can over the next year.

I have trash disposable carpet under my chair so I'm just letting whatever happens, happen :v:

Obviously, I am not the intended recipient of your question

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
You can get these hard plastic sheet things from Ikea/The internet.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I like the ones from Costco. My first one lasted 5 years before finally cracking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

You can get these hard plastic sheet things from Ikea/The internet.

But enough about your sleep situation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheMadMilkman posted:

I like the ones from Costco. My first one lasted 5 years before finally cracking.

get yourself a hotdog and a sundae OP

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If you’ve got the correct wheel type on your chair it shouldn’t be an issue - many chairs will have an option for carpet wheels or hardwood wheels when you buy them.

I’ve been using a chair with wheels at my desk for about 25 years now and the carpet (which was installed at some point in the late 60s) is perfectly fine.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
You can get those roller blade wheel style casters apparently. That's what I'm going to do when I move.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
On a similar subject to the current conversations about chair pads/wheels/etc, do you guys have any recommendations for regular casters/feet to replace wheels on a chair? Are they like standard sizes or something? I never move my computer chair so the wheels are actually a drawback to me and I wouldn't mind lowering the chair an inch or two by removing the wheels.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

100% Dundee posted:

On a similar subject to the current conversations about chair pads/wheels/etc, do you guys have any recommendations for regular casters/feet to replace wheels on a chair? Are they like standard sizes or something? I never move my computer chair so the wheels are actually a drawback to me and I wouldn't mind lowering the chair an inch or two by removing the wheels.

I don't know what chair you have, but the wheels are on small posts that just fit up into the ends of the "star".

Depending on how your "star" is formed, it's theoretically possible that it would sit perfectly fine on the floor if you just pulled the wheels out. If not, then I think you'd just need to find pads that have a post with the same length/diameter as the posts on the wheels you pull out.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Been sitting in my folding chair for about a week now. I think you have to *learn* how to get comfortable in it. If I can't sit crossed legged or my feet off the ground somehow, then it just feels like a horrible office work place where comfort is off limits. The chair, it's too small. I'm doing that yoga half lotus thing now, and it's managably comfortable.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

excellent bird guy posted:

Been sitting in my folding chair for about a week now. I think you have to *learn* how to get comfortable in it. If I can't sit crossed legged or my feet off the ground somehow, then it just feels like a horrible office work place where comfort is off limits. The chair, it's too small. I'm doing that yoga half lotus thing now, and it's managably comfortable.

you probably should get a real chair.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ammanas posted:

you probably should get a real chair.

I get really annoyed by mainstream society's concept of good vs bad. Big soft chairs annoy me to death, sitting properly with feet on the floor like they teach you in school makes me feel like a conformist. I think I'm going to start sitting on the floor again. I can do yoga all night long while shitposting that way. Anyway, I was waiting to post until I got my keyboard stand for my synth. My monitor shattered after I sat it on the bed for a few minutes. But I did buy a new table and my setup is looking a quite a bit better.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The generally recommended office chairs definitely aren't super soft like you're thinking. They also don't enforce the whole 'you must sit in this fashion' either; the Gesture in particular was designed with odd sitting habits in mind.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

isndl posted:

The generally recommended office chairs definitely aren't super soft like you're thinking. They also don't enforce the whole 'you must sit in this fashion' either; the Gesture in particular was designed with odd sitting habits in mind.

That's pretty cool chair. I unfortunately pack all my belongings into a chevy pickup truck and move every few months across the usa so my options are limited, a chair takes up a lot of space. So it's really not just me being hardheaded that I use folding chairs and the floor, but I have ways to justify it as good even though I understand it's not optimal.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

isndl posted:

I have a gesture and I hate the bloody thing. Except I've spent a thousand dollars on a chair; so now I feel like I can't in good conscience just get rid of it.

Those super ergonomic chairs are great if you use your computer in a traditional work like way; siting up with your feet on the floor and typing at a keyboard but they loving suck if you spend extended hours at your computer just playing video games and watching netflix. I like to sit semi reclined with my feet up on the desk or a footstool and there's no lower back support and the downward angle of the seat means your arse keeps slipping. The back reclines but the seat doesn't tip back with it.

It sucks because I used to have a gamer racecar style chair; and ergonomically it was perfectly suited to how I used my PC, but it fell apart after a few years and looked ridiculous. I finally decided to replace it with an adult chair and I ended up with something I can't sit comfortably in for extended periods.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

The Lord Bude posted:

Those super ergonomic chairs are great if you use your computer in a traditional work like way; siting up with your feet on the floor and typing at a keyboard but they loving suck if you spend extended hours at your computer just playing video games and watching netflix. I like to sit semi reclined with my feet up on the desk or a footstool and there's no lower back support and the downward angle of the seat means your arse keeps slipping. The back reclines but the seat doesn't tip back with it.

I have an Embody and sit like that a lot and it has tons of lower back support and moves with me. I mean, it does cost a small fortune, but it's basically the perfect desk chair.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Barry posted:

I have an Embody and sit like that a lot and it has tons of lower back support and moves with me. I mean, it does cost a small fortune, but it's basically the perfect desk chair.

I watched a video on their website and judging from the way it goes out of its way to demonstrate that you're not sitting correctly unless your feet are flat on the floor, I don't think it's for me - it doesn't seem like the seat of the chair tilts back - in the video even when the guy was reclining the seat stayed parallel to the floor, which is not what I want.

It also starts at $2500 AUD; which is absolutely not going to happen.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't think it's for me - it doesn't seem like the seat of the chair tilts back - in the video even when the guy was reclining the seat stayed parallel to the floor, which is not what I want.

I doubt there are going to be more than a handful of task chairs that do that because, well, you don't want that. Correct posture/ergonomics for sitting for long periods of time at a desk aren't exactly a mystery these days.

I think you're looking for two chairs in one (recliner and task chair) and that either doesn't exist or is going to do both things poorly.

e: Just did some testing, the seat does recline a bit on this thing when leaning back.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
FWIW I use an embody with a mix of feet on floor, on a foot rest, whatever and it seems to work great for me.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Lord Bude posted:

Whattup, Gesture-hating buddy :hfive:

There are chairs out there that tilt like you're looking for; I found this video kinda helpful to narrow down the search based on the "correct" name of the tilt mechanism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapb-vUGy0c

I ended up getting a Cosm - I planned to do a minor effortpost-review on it after I've had it for a few weeks. It's not 100% perfectly what I was looking for, I don't think, but I'm pretty sure I strongly prefer it to most every other chair I've ever sat in.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm in the middle of refurbing my Steelcase Leap, replaced the casters with roller blade ones and replacing the cylinder with a heavy duty fat gently caress model.

I say if you find a chair you want to spend a decent amount of money on make sure there is an easily accessible way to get 3rd party parts.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have a Leap V2 at home and I still find it perfectly comfortable to sit in properly or more often like a piece of poo poo for extended amounts of time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I also like having a footrest/ottoman designed for a couch (maybe 18" tall or so) under my computer desk to aid me in sitting like a goofus when I want to move around a bit.

I had to modify one desk, and then after that started buying only desks that are completely open underneath just for that reason. I don't think I could ever face the wall again now; stretching my legs fully out while tasking is just too good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Barry posted:

I doubt there are going to be more than a handful of task chairs that do that because, well, you don't want that. Correct posture/ergonomics for sitting for long periods of time at a desk aren't exactly a mystery these days.

I think you're looking for two chairs in one (recliner and task chair) and that either doesn't exist or is going to do both things poorly.

e: Just did some testing, the seat does recline a bit on this thing when leaning back.

Gaming chairs do that. I was perfectly comfortable before I bought the gesture. Now my lower back gets sore because there’s nothing supporting it; and my arse gets sore because it’s taking all my weight and it keeps sliding forward when I try to lean back and put my feet up.

It doesn’t help that I have very short legs in proportion to my torso; my feet don’t reach the ground in many chairs that I sit in.

Task chairs just aren’t designed for the way I use my computer.

I’ve done some digging and it looks like companies are starting to make nicer gaming chairs with real leather upholstery now so I’m probably going to go back to buying one.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 12, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Lord Bude posted:

Gaming chairs do that. I was perfectly comfortable before I bought the gesture. Now my lower back gets sore because there’s nothing supporting it; and my arse gets sore because it’s taking all my weight and it keeps sliding forward when I try to lean back and put my feet up.

It doesn’t help that I have very short legs in proportion to my torso; my feet don’t reach the ground in many chairs that I sit in.

Task chairs just aren’t designed for the way I use my computer.

I’ve done some digging and it looks like companies are starting to make nicer gaming chairs with real leather upholstery now so I’m probably going to go back to buying one.

I prefer fabric, myself, and SecretLab apparently uses the "Knee Tilt" mechanism from that previous video I linked that looks comfortable as hell.

I don't know how good SecretLab chairs truly are, but I want to say that when I was looking at them, they didn't seem HORRIBLE - you could probably do worse than a $400 for a chair with a 5-year warranty. No clue how good that warranty is, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

I prefer fabric, myself, and SecretLab apparently uses the "Knee Tilt" mechanism from that previous video I linked that looks comfortable as hell.

I don't know how good SecretLab chairs truly are, but I want to say that when I was looking at them, they didn't seem HORRIBLE - you could probably do worse than a $400 for a chair with a 5-year warranty. No clue how good that warranty is, though.

The Cosm is out - way too expensive for me; but I looked into Secretlab. Their chairs are typical of the price of higher end gaming chairs - starting at around 650AUD; real leather ones around 1200. I can buy a real leather thermaltake chair for around $830 - https://www.thermaltake.com.au/x-comfort-real-leather-burgundy-red.html and this is what I'll most likely end up buying. It's probably not the same grade of leather - the Secretlab chair claims to be nappa leather - but at least it's real leather. Or for $570 I can buy a chair with PU leather; but which has fans built into the seat to keep my arse cool. https://www.thermaltake.com.au/x-comfort-air.html The thermaltakes look way more comfortable and I prefer to buy from a brand I've actually heard of. The 5 year warranty Secretlab offers is an extended warranty; not a base warranty but I really don't care about warranties because Australian Consumer law renders them pretty irrelevant.

Now I just have to justify the cost of a new chair to myself, although I suppose I could potentially sell my old chair to offset some of the cost. A 2 year old Gesture should still be worth something.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Lord Bude posted:

The Cosm is out - way too expensive for me; but I looked into Secretlab. Their chairs are typical of the price of higher end gaming chairs - starting at around 650AUD; real leather ones around 1200. I can buy a real leather thermaltake chair for around $830 - https://www.thermaltake.com.au/x-comfort-real-leather-burgundy-red.html and this is what I'll most likely end up buying. It's probably not the same grade of leather - the Secretlab chair claims to be nappa leather - but at least it's real leather. Or for $570 I can buy a chair with PU leather; but which has fans built into the seat to keep my arse cool. https://www.thermaltake.com.au/x-comfort-air.html The thermaltakes look way more comfortable and I prefer to buy from a brand I've actually heard of. The 5 year warranty Secretlab offers is an extended warranty; not a base warranty but I really don't care about warranties because Australian Consumer law renders them pretty irrelevant.

Now I just have to justify the cost of a new chair to myself, although I suppose I could potentially sell my old chair to offset some of the cost. A 2 year old Gesture should still be worth something.

Oh, I guess I didn't clarify - SecretLab offers a SoftWeave fabric option now, as well. (As far as I know, they're the only gaming chair that does). I don't know how they are to sit in, though, so don't take this as a recommendation or anything.

Yeah, I'd fully expect that a gently-used Gesture should be able to fetch enough to possibly pay for a new gaming chair altogether, or at least close to it! I have no idea how hard trying to sell something like that actually IS, or how long it would take, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

Oh, I guess I didn't clarify - SecretLab offers a SoftWeave fabric option now, as well. (As far as I know, they're the only gaming chair that does). I don't know how they are to sit in, though, so don't take this as a recommendation or anything.

Yeah, I'd fully expect that a gently-used Gesture should be able to fetch enough to possibly pay for a new gaming chair altogether, or at least close to it! I have no idea how hard trying to sell something like that actually IS, or how long it would take, though.

I saw that they had the fabric - $599 for fake leather, $650 for fabric and $1200 for real nappa leather. I'm not the biggest fan of fabric; though I'd take it over fake leather; but real leather is what I'd prefer and I can buy a real leather chair from thermaltake for $829. The thermaltake chair looks more comfortable as well.

Ideally I'd see if I could sell the gesture to someone in my circle of friends.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Got it all set up finally!

Machines:
2019 16" MBP i7 // 2018 Mac Mini i5 // 2020 iPad Pro 11"
Synology DS1618+ // Synology DX517 Expansion

Monitor:
LG 34" 3440x1440

Audio:
Micca PB42x // Audioengine D1 Dac

Input:
Logitech MX Keys // Logitech MX Master 2 // Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Docks:
Startech Thunderbolt 3 Dock // Dell WD15 USB-C

Desk:
Uplift Desks 80"x30" Bamboo

Chair:
Steelcase Leap v2

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nice setup!

Speaking of standing desks, I'm currently looking into getting a sit-stand (partially because low-adjust desks are really rare otherwise) but I'm a bit curious about how to deal with cord management. I would prefer to avoid putting the PC on the desk, but I feel like that's going to leave me with a lot of cords that have to deal with the desk raising and lowering.

I've never used a USB hub before - my current keyboard has a USB passthrough, but takes up two USB on the back of my PC in turn. Do USB hubs have drawbacks if they're passing multiple USB back into a single port? Assuming I can just put a hub with a long enough cord on the desk and just plug most of stuff into that, that might avoid any hassles about cord movement when the desk raises and lowers. (Though I'll certainly have cord spaghetti behind my monitors)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Oxyclean posted:

Nice setup!

Speaking of standing desks, I'm currently looking into getting a sit-stand (partially because low-adjust desks are really rare otherwise) but I'm a bit curious about how to deal with cord management. I would prefer to avoid putting the PC on the desk, but I feel like that's going to leave me with a lot of cords that have to deal with the desk raising and lowering.

I've never used a USB hub before - my current keyboard has a USB passthrough, but takes up two USB on the back of my PC in turn. Do USB hubs have drawbacks if they're passing multiple USB back into a single port? Assuming I can just put a hub with a long enough cord on the desk and just plug most of stuff into that, that might avoid any hassles about cord movement when the desk raises and lowers. (Though I'll certainly have cord spaghetti behind my monitors)

So cable management is pretty easy - if you look below my desk I have a battery backup & a small loom of cables. Theres only 5 cables that leave my desk & go through the loom - 2 power cables (for 2 power strips, these go to the battery backup), and 3 ethernet cables.

You get a cable management tray that attaches to the bottom of the desk and you can just shove all your power strips and other cables in there.

If you have less equipment than me or also don't use ethernet cables, you could just run 1 single power cable from the desk to the outlet, making sure you just leave enough slack to allow for standing height.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Brain Issues posted:

So cable management is pretty easy - if you look below my desk I have a battery backup & a small loom of cables. Theres only 5 cables that leave my desk & go through the loom - 2 power cables (for 2 power strips, these go to the battery backup), and 3 ethernet cables.

You get a cable management tray that attaches to the bottom of the desk and you can just shove all your power strips and other cables in there.

If you have less equipment than me or also don't use ethernet cables, you could just run 1 single power cable from the desk to the outlet, making sure you just leave enough slack to allow for standing height.

Yeah I'm using cable loom (and I have even more cables).

The other option is to get an under-desk mount for your case. These are about $30 on Amazon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I might just need some longer cords/cord extensions in certain situations. A loom might also solve my worries of snagging or something.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Zarin posted:

I have a Secret Labs SoftWeave Titan that I just got a few weeks ago. The fabric is really nice, its comfortable as hell and seems very well put together. Its more muted than most gamer chairs, although no one will mistake it for your usual office chair.

Will it hold up over time as well as a commercial grade task chair from Steelcase or Herman Miller? Probably not, but it beats the hell out of my old Ikea Markus and if I can get 6+ years out of it I will be happy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I need a 6' work bench that is sturdy and will look decent inside of my house.

Ideally it would be about counter heights so I can stand at it without bending over (I'm 5' 9"). I don't need it to be dynamically adjustable or anything.

What are some suggestions you might have that would keep me under $650?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I need a 6' work bench that is sturdy and will look decent inside of my house.

Ideally it would be about counter heights so I can stand at it without bending over (I'm 5' 9"). I don't need it to be dynamically adjustable or anything.

What are some suggestions you might have that would keep me under $650?

Home Depot sells a bunch of Husky benches and tops and bases in the $200-$400 range, some of them are even height adjustable and/or wheeled. The ones that aren’t can be set to various heights when you set them up. Black and white and also red powder coat.

A couple of goons ITT have them as desks and they look really nice.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LCdr. Jebus posted:

I have a Secret Labs SoftWeave Titan that I just got a few weeks ago. The fabric is really nice, its comfortable as hell and seems very well put together. Its more muted than most gamer chairs, although no one will mistake it for your usual office chair.

Will it hold up over time as well as a commercial grade task chair from Steelcase or Herman Miller? Probably not, but it beats the hell out of my old Ikea Markus and if I can get 6+ years out of it I will be happy.

Can I have your wallpaper please? Thanks

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Pretty sweet desks here

Got the Macbook Pro, on a little stand I got from Microcenter. Cool that I can sit on the ground in a zen like perfect lotus position, while continuing to have fun posting online.

So my old monitor was destroyed

It fell off the bed. But I actually was making room for the TV at the time I rested it gently onto the mattress. So, I at least have a bigscreen.
Using the Wacom 16" as my primary desktop monitor, which I have mixed feelings about. The TV is to a Raspberry Pi.

Liking the small form factor. I might buy a second with 8gb RAM when the OS becomes a little more updated for 64bit. A like the small form factors of these, perfect for deskspace.

But in other news, I am moving OUT of this room sunday to a hotel. I have no idea what it's going to be like. I even bought a second table, and a keyboard stand that I haven't taken out of the box. I'll set it up real nice, but this posted here is how the current office will look on my last day at the hose. Thanks for the memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

couldcareless posted:

Can I have your wallpaper please? Thanks

I use Wallpaper Engine and its called Small Memory