Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Thanks for all the suggestions, these keyboards look surprisingly... good!

I'm not a huge fan of the rubberized chassis and style of the Drakken (sorry, bub) though the USB hub functionality is convenient, and the price is spectacular, and the same goes for the Hexgears Impulse, to a bit of a lesser extent, and the very limited RGB options (and the rgb ring around the outside) are disappointing, though they can of course be turned off. I guess the biggest thing I'm struck by by these two keyboards is how they seem to be so unknown? The price is great in both cases, full size, RGB, hot-swappable - how is it that these aren't more well known keyboards? I can scarcely find reviews or discussion about them anywhere, but the ones I can find are basically universally effusive. I feel like I must be missing something obvious. Are the form factor and chassis aesthetics really the only things keeping these keyboards from being more popular?

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Silly question, does having hotswap sockets really just mean you only have to push the switches into place? I know it means you don't need to solder them, but is it that simple?

'Cause I finally have an excuse to replace my lovely VM01 (the B switch only works like 1/2 the time! :dance:) and I want Cherry MX Clears. Or at least I think I do--I love my Browns but keep feeling like I want more oomph to the bump--and a bunch of the options I'm looking at don't have those available pre-built.

Clears are the best switch.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Clears are the best until you use hako clears or box royals or zilents or zealios or

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Halo clears are very nice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I bought a Drop CTRL with Halo Clears, coming from a CODE with Cherry Clears. I like these a lot more. I'm thinking of wanting to try some Holy Pandas next.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Dammit, you guys are making these decisions harder! Of the non-clicky, heavy tactile ones mentioned above, which is the least wobbly?

And if I am seriously considering Zilents, is it worth getting a switch tester to feel the difference between 62g/65g etc.? Or should I just go by people's descriptions?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Dammit, you guys are making these decisions harder! Of the non-clicky, heavy tactile ones mentioned above, which is the least wobbly?

And if I am seriously considering Zilents, is it worth getting a switch tester to feel the difference between 62g/65g etc.? Or should I just go by people's descriptions?

Way back when, I got a switch tester for the v1 Zilents and determined that I would be happiest with the 62g. If you can find a tester, it might be worth it. I think you might also be okay going by others' descriptions. If it doesn't work out, selling/trading Zilents shouldn't be too hard.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
There's also the option of buying springs of your choice and swapping them in. Maybe a bit inconvenient unless you're already opening up your switches to lube them.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Neat, my Drop Halo True switches arrived today! Gonna be swapping those into my k8 when that shows up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nondescript Van posted:

Clears are the best until you use hako clears or box royals or zilents or zealios or

Seconding the Hako Clears ESPECIALLY if you have them plate mounted and soldered with a heavy case full of dense sound deadening material.
Kinda makes me wish more things had steel plates.
I've moved on to Hako Royal Trues and they are just :kiss: but I'm sure I'll be on to the next thing soon enough.

CODE with Cherry Clears was my first real keyboard and I still love it very much although the switches squeak like crazy now and the springs all ring like a bell.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im utterly tired of the youtube reviews on keyboards. Everyone wants the exact same thing, %60, dampened noise, etc, etc. No thanks. Give me a hulking beast with clank and clack and lots of keys. MORE KEYS

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

redeyes posted:

Im utterly tired of the youtube reviews on keyboards. Everyone wants the exact same thing, %60, dampened noise, etc, etc. No thanks. Give me a hulking beast with clank and clack and lots of keys. MORE KEYS

Chyrosran22 has you covered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvyZo16e_4

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So ErgodoxEz have released a new board

https://zsa.io/moonlander/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CyberPingu posted:

gotta say, by the time you hit the price tag, they sure as hell have justified it for what it is. i'd probably consider getting one if it were wireless, but considering the thing has a loving arm processor in it, i get why it's not

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Pretty interesting thing they're doing with the thumb cluster. I hate that cluster on the Ergodox, but maybe tenting it in with that hinge would make it a lot more comfortable.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

gotta say, by the time you hit the price tag, they sure as hell have justified it for what it is. i'd probably consider getting one if it were wireless, but considering the thing has a loving arm processor in it, i get why it's not

I may or may not have ordered one....

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Dang it looks slick. I kinda want one. I’ve been looking to try (spend too much money on) an ergonomic keyboard for a while, maybe it’s time to finally take the plunge

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I already have an Ergodox infinity and a redox but the hotswap and dumb RGB lights combined with the rest of the cool poo poo on that board made me want it too bad.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I still want to build a split ortho with vertical stagger but am afraid the ergodox/redox/ergodone thumbcluster will suck.

Would love to try a Dactyl Manuform but I know nothing about 3d printing or soldering so that’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.

I tried a Kinesis for a few days and while it was incredibly difficult getting used to both ortho and the bowl it felt way better for my fingers.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I have an ergodox infinity from massdrop from years ago and an iris and if I didn't just buy a new board last week i'd be mighty tempted to pick that up for the not dumb but actually nice features of hotswap and rgb.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

I still want to build a split ortho with vertical stagger but am afraid the ergodox/redox/ergodone thumbcluster will suck.

Would love to try a Dactyl Manuform but I know nothing about 3d printing or soldering so that’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.

I tried a Kinesis for a few days and while it was incredibly difficult getting used to both ortho and the bowl it felt way better for my fingers.

You can find a reem of people on Reddit who sell the manuform cases. And sometimes full builds.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

CyberPingu posted:

drat, that is actually really tempting, for some reason. Ergonomic, split, ortholinear: the three mechanical keyboard things I haven't tried out yet. Plus, hotswap makes it easy to swap in other switches they don't sell with it.

Gonna have to think about this one for a bit ...

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, these keyboards look surprisingly... good!

I'm not a huge fan of the rubberized chassis and style of the Drakken (sorry, bub) though the USB hub functionality is convenient, and the price is spectacular, and the same goes for the Hexgears Impulse, to a bit of a lesser extent, and the very limited RGB options (and the rgb ring around the outside) are disappointing, though they can of course be turned off. I guess the biggest thing I'm struck by by these two keyboards is how they seem to be so unknown? The price is great in both cases, full size, RGB, hot-swappable - how is it that these aren't more well known keyboards? I can scarcely find reviews or discussion about them anywhere, but the ones I can find are basically universally effusive. I feel like I must be missing something obvious. Are the form factor and chassis aesthetics really the only things keeping these keyboards from being more popular?
I also want a full-sized hotswap board, and I'm now strongly considering getting a barebones GMMK + Drop Halo Clears (which is a total of $115 not considering tax/shipping since I already have caps!), so it would be awesome to hear back if you found any other full-sized options.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Drop is running another group buy for their Shift, which is an 1800 layout. Not quite fullsize, but close enough for me to order one. They ran a brief "immediate shipping sale" yesterday, and mine with Halo Clears shipped today. Current purchases will ship in December.

The biggest problem I have with the GMMK is I'm really not comfortable with the branding around the company as a whole. The whole thing is vaguely eugenics-icky.

That, and the stock keycaps/legends are terrible.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I also want a full-sized hotswap board, and I'm now strongly considering getting a barebones GMMK + Drop Halo Clears (which is a total of $115 not considering tax/shipping since I already have caps!), so it would be awesome to hear back if you found any other full-sized options.

I wound up ordering the Hexgears Impulse, since it ticked basically every box I was looking for, although I still find the RGB obnoxious. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll come back with impressions when it does. I found that one of the big reasons it seems to be poorly known is that only very recently did they update the board to allow hot-swaps; Kono didn't announce it off the order page itself until after I ordered it, and its page on Hexgears' own website is still missing any indication the switches are hot swappable. There exists precisely one review on Youtube about the new revision however if you want to look it up, three total if you include the old version.

The Drakken seems good if you're fine with the look and the rubberized chassis, too, and you're not likely to ever beat the price.

The Drop Shift went up again like Wizard mentioned above, but it's more than twice as expensive, is missing the navigation keys (which might not be a huge deal for you) and the build quality reportedly might leave something to be desired, which would be a shame at the price if you were to agree.

I think there might be some even more expensive full size(ish) hot swap keyboards out there? But what little I ran across was one or more of
- a very limited group buy
- extremely expensive
- a mostly full-size but otherwise odd layout.

This one for example is sold out, but could be an option if/when it comes back https://kono.store/products/kira-mechanical-keyboard

It just seems like a very very limited market. If you're willing to drop down to a TKL your options expand massively - even Logitech has a hot swap TKL now. This might work out if you're fine with a separate numpad, but then you might be looking for one of those that also can hot swap...

I admit that the Ergo Moonlander looks really interesting too. An ergonomic keyboard doesn't really allow for a numpad, but at least there are a bunch of extra programmable keys.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 31, 2020

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CyberPingu posted:

You can find a reem of people on Reddit who sell the manuform cases. And sometimes full builds.

I was looking into services like ohkeycaps.com but they start from 300-350 dollar previously and that's just a bit too much for my liking. Had a look at Reddit and there are indeed some folks that are selling them much more reasonably priced.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://kono.store/products/kat-cyberspace

Holy gently caress a glow in the dark keycap set? JUST TAKE ALL MY loving MONEY.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Holy gently caress a glow in the dark keycap set? JUST TAKE ALL MY loving MONEY.

I want this so bad, but I also just spent $250 on the GMK Sumi base + novelties + Rama torii cap. (And also another $60 on the GMK Deku's Rama plus ultra cap)

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I'll hold out until I get KAT Hyperfuse in to see if I even like the profile. But tempting lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I came across the Kyria today, which is basically what I had intended to make. I need to reposition the pinky keys but otherwise it's just about what I had in mind. Has anyone built one / have any thoughts on the layout? I'll probably skip the rotary.

Also, I've noticed a lot of mass market ergo keyboards have their keys in a bowl shape. Since I'll be hand-wiring I'm not limited to the planar nature of PCBs, as long as I can keep the switches steady, so does anyone here have strong opinions on concave / convex key arrangements?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Constellation I posted:

I'll hold out until I get KAT Hyperfuse in to see if I even like the profile. But tempting lol

The best part of this set is that even if I don't like the profile, I'll just point a UV light at it and make is a desk decoration.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Some Goon posted:

I came across the Kyria today, which is basically what I had intended to make. I need to reposition the pinky keys but otherwise it's just about what I had in mind. Has anyone built one / have any thoughts on the layout? I'll probably skip the rotary.

Also, I've noticed a lot of mass market ergo keyboards have their keys in a bowl shape. Since I'll be hand-wiring I'm not limited to the planar nature of PCBs, as long as I can keep the switches steady, so does anyone here have strong opinions on concave / convex key arrangements?

Layout looks good, looking into getting a bowl shaped keeb myself so no thoughts on that yet.

In general though I can’t understand how folks can work on sub 40% boards. I’ve tried and I just miss so many characters I use often that it takes weeks to get used to / remember the modifiers. And then I have the lesser used chars that I only use a few times a day or week. Those are an absolute nightmare. I can easily do without a numpad, arrows and function keys but I can’t deal with numbers under a layer.

I know the Planck is incredibly popular as well as things like the Helidox/Minidox/Van/Corne. A coworker got a Minidox as his entry into mechanical keyboards, used it as a fulltime driver for a month and then sold it because of the same issues I have with the size factor.

I’m seriously curious as to how people use them
comfortably.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's live on zFrontier right now, free shipping over $100 might make it actually cheaper in the US than buying from Kono. I've never used KAT but I know I'm in for this set to find out if I like it. Should look awful nice with the NK65 Entry.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

feedback loop posted:

It's live on zFrontier right now, free shipping over $100 might make it actually cheaper in the US than buying from Kono. I've never used KAT but I know I'm in for this set to find out if I like it. Should look awful nice with the NK65 Entry.

Yeah this completely borked all my plans for sets I've ordered and keebs I have. I'm gonna have to do some shuffling for sure.

Right now I'm thinking it'll go on my purple DZ60 RGBv2 / purple Tofu60.
Looks like I might have to just buy a new board for my pending ePBT Ivory or paint one of my existing boards to match.

The Durgod Fusion is going to keep the same keycaps and just swap switches of course.
My Code w/ Cherry clears will remain untouched.
My k320 Nebula is finished and is perfect with Hako Clears, butyl mat sandwiched between the board and PCB, and stock keycaps.

I have a k320 (non RGB) that MIGHT get the ePBT Ivory but I originally planned to put my Susuwatari on there.
My k310 Nebula is still rockin' stock keycaps and I have a Keychron K8 order pending so I might use one of those but I don't really want to paint them to match the Ivory and I also think that RGB won't get much use on that very plain colorway so it sorta seems like a waste.

I still need a 60% with north oriented LEDs for the Massdrop Skylight set I bought. The shine through on those is SO good with the LED right under the lettering.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still need a 60% with north oriented LEDs for the Massdrop Skylight set I bought. The shine through on those is SO good with the LED right under the lettering.

Looks like you have at least a few good options. There's the Royal Kludge RK61 and the DIERYA DK61 Pro. Both also have Bluetooth if you need wireless capability. The latter keyboard uses Gateron Optical switches, but they are compatible with Cherry MX-style keycaps.

If you don't need wireless and also want to pay more money :haw: there's the Ducky One 2 Mini.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I didn't really notice it before but since HCF mentioned every drat ergo board standardizing on the "6" key on left half I can't stop getting annoyed by it. Thanks.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I ordered a Keychron K4, beyond stoked. Any good sites for keycaps/ideas for keycap themes? Also how necessary is the tool for taking them out?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I ordered a Keychron K4, beyond stoked. Any good sites for keycaps/ideas for keycap themes? Also how necessary is the tool for taking them out?
I think mine my husband's came with a keycap puller? Personally from my (little) experience it's so much easier to use one of the wire loop ones than trying to pry them off by hand--plus you're much less likely to break the stems. Also make sure you get a keycap set that works with a 96% layout: 1.75u right shift, 1u Alt/Ctrl/ Fn or Mac equivalents, and 1u numpad 0 are non-standard and I think the navigation keys all need to be R4 profile.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My Code w/ Cherry clears will remain untouched.
... so untouched you would consider selling it to a goon for a discount? :v:

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 16, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Nondescript Van posted:

I didn't really notice it before but since HCF mentioned every drat ergo board standardizing on the "6" key on left half I can't stop getting annoyed by it. Thanks.

I got u bb :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I think mine my husband's came with a keycap puller? Personally from my (little) experience it's so much easier to use one of the wire loop ones than trying to pry them off by hand--plus you're much less likely to break the stems. Also make sure you get a keycap set that works with a 96% layout: 1.75u right shift, 1u Alt/Ctrl/ Fn or Mac equivalents, and 1u numpad 0 are non-standard and I think the navigation keys all need to be R4 profile.

... so untouched you would consider selling it to a goon for a discount? :v:

lol I meant unmodified.
I use this keeb every day.

808-Boom is live. Get to it.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106428.0