Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They did give a visual indication that it's not a thing because the front of the forge is all bashed up and broken, so it clearly wouldn't be possible to use it for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

I did think this would be part of the solution for a while, it's the shame the Black Hole Forge has no functional mechanisms in it

Yeah I thought this was going to be it too until I got some more information about what I actually had to do. I think if nothing else the timeframe wouldn't really work out anyway. I seem to remember one of the notes about it mentioning that they have to leave the core in there for a very long time to fully charge it

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
What do you discover at the Black hole forge anyway? I played through this again with some friends last weekend and we definitely skipped this but I can't remember what we missed by doing so

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DarkAvenger211 posted:

What do you discover at the Black hole forge anyway? I played through this again with some friends last weekend and we definitely skipped this but I can't remember what we missed by doing so

IIRC it contains lore bits about the warp cores and may be the place where you are most explicitly told there is one available in the Ash Twin Project. Plus as of the latest patch there are hints about the double teleport tower now.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I was just thinking about how the motif of the eye appears in so many places, with various puzzles that involve taking shelter in the eye of a storm, or passing through the eye of a needle. The signal from the eye of the universe seems to match that pattern, but the tone set as you are approaching the eye makes it seem more like an anglerfish lure. I wonder if there was some abandoned narrative thread where doing something wrong at the eye could lead to a failure state. There was a comment from the Nomai who made the advanced warp core saying that it might not be durable enough.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So people might already know about this, but I found a fun easter egg:

If you're inside the Ash Twin project when the supernova happens, you can see the core open up a black hole and all the masks sending the information into it to send it back in time. Someone else already mentioned this which is why I thought to try it - but the bit I found is you can then jump into the black hole yourself. It'll rewind the game as usual, but after doing it you might notice something different on your map. Go back into the Ash Twin project to check it out.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So people might already know about this, but I found a fun easter egg:

If you're inside the Ash Twin project when the supernova happens, you can see the core open up a black hole and all the masks sending the information into it to send it back in time. Someone else already mentioned this which is why I thought to try it - but the bit I found is you can then jump into the black hole yourself. It'll rewind the game as usual, but after doing it you might notice something different on your map. Go back into the Ash Twin project to check it out.

It got brought up a while back, but it is a really neat thing

I also heard that after doing that, you can jump into the black hole a second time and get a slightly different result, but I forgot to test that one to see whether that is true or not

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Greader posted:

It got brought up a while back, but it is a really neat thing

I also heard that after doing that, you can jump into the black hole a second time and get a slightly different result, but I forgot to test that one to see whether that is true or not

It's true, but it's pretty minor in terms of dialogue. They, (you?) do have a response to manually landing on the Sun Station though.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 23, 2020

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ardryn posted:

It's true, but it's pretty minor in terms of dialogue. They, (you?) do have a response to manually landing on the Sun Station though.

Is this only if you've done it those particular loops or at all during your expedition?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Phssthpok posted:

I was just thinking about how the motif of the eye appears in so many places, with various puzzles that involve taking shelter in the eye of a storm, or passing through the eye of a needle. The signal from the eye of the universe seems to match that pattern, but the tone set as you are approaching the eye makes it seem more like an anglerfish lure. I wonder if there was some abandoned narrative thread where doing something wrong at the eye could lead to a failure state. There was a comment from the Nomai who made the advanced warp core saying that it might not be durable enough.

The reference to durability of the advanced warp core is because Ash Twin Project is meant to survive a supernova, for a little bit, and then send data back in time. If it can't hold on to the data long enough for the ATP to absorb enough energy from the supernova to send data back 22 minutes, it would be a failure and everyone dies.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I recently bought and played through this, after deciding to gamble and see how well it runs on Linux through the Proton runtime. Everything worked extremely well, even with an Xbox One controller, both connected through USB and with the wireless dongle (using the xow driver).

As everyone here is already aware, this game is fantastic and I wish I could erase my memory of it to play through it again. I'm currently watching Materwelonz's blind LP of this, and it's neat to see a few small things that didn't click during my play through.

What just jumped out at me, related to the Nomai's origins in this solar system: in Brittle Hollow, around the mural of the Vessel warping into Dark Bramble, there's some discussion about what might have gone wrong. One of the Nomai, Thatch, says "Suppose it wasn't a problem with the Vessel, but with our destination." It just occurred to me that a Dark Bramble seed could have acted as a repeater for the signal from the Eye, the same way you can hear Feldspar's harmonica through the seed on Timber Hearth. So the Nomai might have correctly warped to their intended coordinates -- but those coordinates were just an echo of the Eye's signal, relayed through the twisted space in Dark Bramble.

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 23, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Welonz LP is very good.

Even though I backseat raged once or twice

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Welonz LP is very good.

Even though I backseat raged once or twice

Yeah, there were a couple places where I was saying "NO GO RIGHT THERE, NO GO BACK, STOP, TO THE LEFT, IT'S RIGHT THERE"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was helping someone streaming this game (it was actually old school LPer SA goon cherrydoom from a long long time ago), and she had everything in the game solved until she got totally stuck on "that" puzzle. Eventually we got her pointed to the solution by nudging her towards the hints at the moving wall diagram in the black hole forge as well as the mural on the wall of high energy lab and she eventually figured it out, tho saying she'd never have been able to if not for the help, and since she got it with a few minutes left to spare after reading everything I figured I'd show her the big easter egg in that room. On the next loop she went back there and on the way kinda thought that was it for the game until she remembered everything about The Vessel and what that meant for the coordinates and warp core she just found excitedly ran back in there to grab the advanced warp core and nailed the final run through bramble core on the first try. It was all going fine until she got off of the ship and embarked on her journey to be the first conscious observer to enter the eye when the game freaked out and obliterated itself, saying she destroyed the fabric of space-time...but when she reloaded her game, she was back on The Vessel in front of The Eye.

I totally forgot that always happens after initiating that easter egg and in doing so I may have accidentally perma-softlocked her game. WHOOPS :frogbon:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 24, 2020

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I totally forgot that always happens after initiating that easter egg and in doing so I may have accidentally perma-softlocked her game. WHOOPS :frogbon:

After it happens once, the flag is reset. She should be able to end the game normally now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, there were a couple places where I was saying "NO GO RIGHT THERE, NO GO BACK, STOP, TO THE LEFT, IT'S RIGHT THERE"

Haha, I did the same thing. Her enthusiasm for everything is a great way to vicariously re-experience the game for the first time again.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So, question regarding the Ash Twins, I activated the high energy lab, and figured out what the warp towers correspond to. But they aren't activating, what am I missing?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Read how they work.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Ah, gently caress. I am a dumdum

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I finally got around to playing this last week and I knew eventually I was going to miss something and have to look it up despite not wanting to but I didn't expect how obvious the thing I missed was going to be. I had finished a ton of stuff from getting past the anglerfish and finding the Vessel to using the jellyfish to reach the core of Giant's Deep and even getting into the Ash Twin Project - which seems like the end of the game! - but the Quantum Moon remained baffling. I found a bunch of disparate quantum stuff across the whole time I was playing, including the Tower of Quantum Knowledge, but it always seemed like I was missing a key piece of information.

Turned out I forgot to pinpoint the Quantum signal on Giant's Deep and now I feel real stupid, which is appropriate considering now I'm in a literal tutorial on how to land on the Quantum Moon. I bet there were even some logs on Giant's Deep pointing me toward the temple that I eventually forgot to follow up on.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
The trick is that I don't think there are hints about it on Giant's Deep. Seems like most people find it because "wow I wonder if there's something in that giant tornado", but other than that, there's the quantum fluctuations on the signalscope and messages in the Brittle Hollow tower that tell Solanum to go there. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't think there's anything at the other places on Gian'ts Deep that mention it, not even Gabbo when you ask him about landmarks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pray for my aunt posted:

The trick is that I don't think there are hints about it on Giant's Deep. Seems like most people find it because "wow I wonder if there's something in that giant tornado", but other than that, there's the quantum fluctuations on the signalscope and messages in the Brittle Hollow tower that tell Solanum to go there. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't think there's anything at the other places on Gian'ts Deep that mention it, not even Gabbo when you ask him about landmarks.

I'd like to think I would have found it if I had remembered about the signalscope but since a whole lot revolves around Giant's Deep at the start I was still juggling a lot in my head when I went to the surface early on and just kept passing over the giant tornado and never remembered about the scope after I got around to pointing it at the other quantum rocks. And by then the "Unknown" signal I still had just constantly blended in with the other ones. Still, at least I only needed to read the literally the few sentences of a guide so the rest of that storyline is fresh.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

pray for my aunt posted:

Specific location on Giant's Deep.

I think the only sign-posting here is via signalscope, or as you said; investigating the large feature previously mentioned.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

at one point I went 'I'm just going to look at the poles of each planet since there often seems to be stuff there'. Found the back door to Feldspar before I went through the proper way, too.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

beep by grandpa posted:

Is this only if you've done it those particular loops or at all during your expedition?

I'm not sure unfortunately, I don't own the game and the wiki only says you need to have done it. But, it does place it under the second loop or later category so maybe it only cares that it happened?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So since I only watched the game dozens of times and never played it myself, I bought it finally and dusted off the VR headset i haven't been using for the last 7 months. It's... definitely an experience. Strangely I'm 100% okay with the flying in zero G but walking up hills makes my head hurt in VR. Strange how our brains work. That said everything feels absolutely crazy and new with this sense of depth you get in VR.

That said though... if anyone is using NomaiVR, is there a better way to equip your tools? having to pull them from an imaginary belt is slightly annoying especially for the translator.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
A reply to Welonz LP made me stop watching it to buy the game. Fantastic choice, and holy poo poo, nothing will replicate that moment when I first got to the ATP core and grabbed the advanced core only to realize that I was mortal for the first time in hours... only to meekly put it back. Three or four lives were spent on practicing that end run. Got it in one!

So for my play through I for some reason decided to fully explore the Brittle Hollow before touching on the Hourglass Twins, only to be predictably stymied by how to get to the BHF. With persistence, it turns out you can land on the blue antigrav floor on the BHF floor in an inverted lander.

I may need to try this again in VR. It sounds fantastic.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ok, so trying to do the end run in bramble core has me just giving up on this. Such a bad bit of the game to add such a sour taste to the rest of the good up to this point.

I swear the pattern of the anglerfish is totally different when i have the advanced core vs when i didn't. I can't even make it to escape pod 3 now because there's an angler fish right on top of me the moment i drive into the first area of Dark Bramble.

Is there some sort of super secret trick to that area?

In my last attempt i let the autogenerated momentum of entering a new 'zone' of the bramble carry me towards the escape pod. I didn't touch anything in regards to my engines and yet i still I saw an anglerfish slowly creeping up behind me. My momentum was slowing slightly and after i tapped the thrurst just a bit bam, Game Over (again).

In that situation will it not even eat me, but just drift behind me?

I'm half willing to give this one more go but repeatedly having to get the core before that section is enough to just make me quit the game in disgust

Edit: Also, i just started watching a video of someone doing the ending and i have a loving cactus in my way for the teleporter when trying to get into the ash twin core that this person doesn't. How the hell is happening?

I have to dart around it every time and it make it harder to not get sucked up onto the other planet.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 1, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kin posted:

It's a very badly made spot for pc and you already figured out the trick - just expand on it.
If that's not enough then
Dive into nest after having a very fast run up and just drift past. It'll only take a 10 seconds or so if you have enough speed going in

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kin posted:

Ok, so trying to do the end run in bramble core has me just giving up on this. Such a bad bit of the game to add such a sour taste to the rest of the good up to this point.

I swear the pattern of the anglerfish is totally different when i have the advanced core vs when i didn't. I can't even make it to escape pod 3 now because there's an angler fish right on top of me the moment i drive into the first area of Dark Bramble.

In my last attempt i let the autogenerated momentum of entering a new 'zone' of the bramble carry me towards the escape pod. I didn't touch anything in regards to my engines and yet i still I saw an anglerfish slowly creeping up behind me. My momentum was slowing slightly and after i tapped the thrurst just a bit bam, Game Over (again).

In that situation will it not even eat me, but just drift behind me?

I'm half willing to give this one more go but repeatedly having to get the core before that section is enough to just make me quit the game in disgust

Edit: Also, i just started watching a video of someone doing the ending and i have a loving cactus in my way for the teleporter when trying to get into the ash twin core that this person doesn't. How the hell is happening?

I have to dart around it every time and it make it harder to not get sucked up onto the other planet.

Question 1: Yes, lol, you solved the problem and then screwed yourself.

Question 2: They updated it. There's a cactus there wasn't before.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rynoto posted:

It's a very badly made spot for pc and you already figured out the trick - just expand on it.
If that's not enough then
Dive into nest after having a very fast run up and just drift past. It'll only take a 10 seconds or so if you have enough speed going in

I'm using a controller already :/

It just feels like a completely different situation to when i was in here before. I think i'll just watch this video and call it a day with the game. It was very fun but this part really isn't worth it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kin posted:

Dunno if it's a secret trick but if the approach pattern is harder (well, it was for me) when you follow the visited escape pod's map location directly, then do what I did and follow the audio signal that led you there the first time instead since the path is different IIRC and you may find it easier.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Chev posted:

Dunno if it's a secret trick but if the approach pattern is harder (well, it was for me) when you follow the visited escape pod's map location directly, then do what I did and follow the audio signal that led you there the first time instead since the path is different IIRC and you may find it easier.

That's what's weird, i'm following the exact same route i did the first time. Distress signal to pod, then the intent of beacon to vessel. It's just in that first section i'm being hit by the angler fish instantly when i swear it wasn't even there before.

The only thing i can think of is that it's because i'm getting to dark bramble at a different point in the cycle than i did when i came here before when not trying to complete the game. The fish was maybe somewhere else at that point?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well then, reverse answer, try following the marker route instead.

Also, you have more time than you think, no real need to hurry, so don't use that thruster unless you've checked your surroundings.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 1, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you already found the route to get there, why are you still going to the escape pod? the route doesn't change

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah, just go straight to the red portal, then drift straight ahead until you reach the eggs, then go kinda straight to the hidden light in the thorns. You can do it without having a single anglerfish ever detect you.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Finally got it. Basically i was going too slow in the first area and an anglerfish naturally drifted onto the same course as me. So basically, go fast in the first area, slow once your on your way to the Vessel.

As for me route, it's more that i still get turned around and need the map locators to find things in there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you've been to the vessel once you can mark it on your computer and it'll lead you through the direct route without having to go to escape pod 3

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.

MikeJF posted:

If you've been to the vessel once you can mark it on your computer and it'll lead you through the direct route without having to go to escape pod 3

Didn't even think of doing that! It's awesome how the basic mechanics of the game can be used to such a strong effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I did not know this. Not that it matters that much tbf, there is really very little pressure. I nailed the run going the long way around on my first try