Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1288562621600464896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If you didn't listen to this week's episode yet, the WHM gang are teaming up with The Tick's Griffin Newman to riff on Addams Family Values tomorrow.

https://www.cya.live/event/2666

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

duz posted:

If you didn't listen to this week's episode yet, the WHM gang are teaming up with The Tick's Griffin Newman to riff on Addams Family Values tomorrow.

https://www.cya.live/event/2666

Literally the first time I've seen Griffin credited for The Tick by a regular person instead of Blank Check.

Anyways, this is bullshit :argh:

gently caress you guys, I have insomnia anyways (I'm clearly awake at the correct time).

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Griffin had good chemistry being the Joker of guests on the Pet Sematary episode, so this should be pretty good.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Marin Karin posted:

Griffin had good chemistry being the Joker of guests on the Pet Sematary episode, so this should be pretty good.

Yeah, he was good on that...I'm gonna have to listen to it again :v:

I think my favorite recurring guest is probably Chelsea Jupin, though--she's got a great sense of humor.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Btw if anyone's never heard it, the Blank Check episode on Total Recall has Andrew and Steve as guests. It's probably my favourite ep of any movie podcast cause I get the serious discussion combined with the silly Arnold impressions. It's loving lovely.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Marin Karin posted:

Griffin Newman has been very good as a guest on every podcast I listen to, but I don't know if I could handle him every week.

edit: I would describe his kind of podcast energy like a millennial jimmy pardo

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Just marathoned all of the twilightmentarys. God what terrible terrible movies those all are. Only reason to ever watch them is great pnw scenery and Taylor lautner's abs

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It’s kind of astounding how said abs made Lautner the highest paid teen in Hollywood and once those movies ended he essentially dropped off the face of the Earth. Only thing he has to look forward these days is a freaking Shark Boy and Lava Girl sequel.

I’m guessing the reason why he didn’t end up joining the likes of Sam Worthington, Charlie Hunnam, Channing Tatum et al in the cadre of “dudes who can’t act yet coast on their physique” is because all those dudes are white and Lautner isn’t.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 30, 2020

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

#500 is gonna be one hour of them recounting the Oceans 11-esque heist they pulled to steal the copy of The Day the Clown Cried from the Library of Congress, and then two hours on the film itself.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

AceOfFlames posted:

It’s kind of astounding how said abs made Lautner the highest paid teen in Hollywood and once those movies ended he essentially dropped off the face of the Earth. Only thing he has to look forward these days is a freaking Shark Boy and Lava Girl sequel.

I’m guessing the reason why he didn’t end up joining the likes of Sam Worthington, Charlie Hunnam, Channing Tatum et al in the cadre of “dudes who can’t act yet coast on their physique” is because all those dudes are white and Lautner isn’t.

Channing Tatum can actually act, though. Dude was absolutely glorious in Hail, Caesar!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AceOfFlames posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Raised as a Catholic,[6][7] Lautner has Austrian, Dutch, English, French, German, Irish, and Swiss ancestry, and has stated that he has "distant" Native American ancestry (specifically Ottawa and Potawatomi) through his mother.[8][9]

Taylor Lautner is appears to be pretty white to me.

edit: here is a native american page complaining about his casting in Twilight as redface: https://www.nativevillage.org/Archi...ion%20Alert.htm

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 30, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Channing Tatum can actually act, though. Dude was absolutely glorious in Hail, Caesar!

Channing Tatum is the one of those I will admit got better. Worthington is definitely a lost cause, though.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Thanks to their Pluto TV rec, I’ve caught some insane movies I want to call in for Listener Request Month.

-Lord of Illusion: Clive Barker, Scott Bacula, Mr. Kruger in really gross makeup. Edit: And Kevin J. O’Connor!

-The Class of 1984: Baby fat Michael J. Fox. Sort of a The Principal but way scummier.

-The Night of a Thousand Cats: Weird rear end 70s sexual horror (?) movie with literally a thousand cats. The main character (who spends about 1/3 of the movie just hovering over back yards in a helicopter) hucks what is clearly a real live cat over a 15 foot fence at one point. Definite Side Order of Sleaze material.

mweber fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 30, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

Channing Tatum is the one of those I will admit got better. Worthington is definitely a lost cause, though.

He's got a career in Avatar sequels!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

He's got a career in Avatar sequels!

If you call that a "career".

Plus, given the few bits of info they released so far, I was under the impression he wouldn't be returning. And even if he did, he'd only be providing his voice, which I suppose carries a lesser paycheck.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

Lautner was offered a role in Expendables 2, because Stallone saw him as part of the next generation of action stars, but turned it down (pretty minor role, went to Liam Hemsworth). Then he was in that John Singleton movie Abduction which was *checks notes* really bad, and he was really bad in it, and was never advertised in any way other than, "Hey everybody, look, it's Taylor Lautner!" I think we might have to just accept that Lautner is dumb and bad at acting.

I'm not saying Expendables 2 would have been a star making role, but when you're trying to break out of the "isn't that the dude from Twilight?" mold, being in an action movie with ALL OF THE ACTION STARS isn't, like, the worst idea to get a bunch of dudes to see you in a different light. If I had to guess, Abduction just got a lot of Twilight fans to check it out, so it wasn't really growing his audience there.

He's pigeon holed as "that person from Twilight", and isn't going to be acting his way out of it like Pattinson and Stewart are both trying to do, because he doesn't have the talent for it, and he's not accepting the roles to help him get out of it any other way. (Funny, "acting" with Taylor Swift in the loving terrible Valentine's Day did him no favors.) The dude is straight up hosed.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 30, 2020

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
totally not connected to any discussion going on, but what movie is their "People find things! People Lose things!" quote from? It's bothering the gently caress out of me because I feel like I should know

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Lautner was hilarious on Scream Queens.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

MELR0210 updated and I only had to read the description before I started laughing. Best (temporary) farewell gift they could give the fans.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cael posted:

MELR0210 updated and I only had to read the description before I started laughing. Best (temporary) farewell gift they could give the fans.

Yup, just looked myself, and that did it for me, too. Very happy they gave us this, at least.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This is peak Melr0210, my god. "This episode is like watching Curb."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Just marathoned all of the twilightmentarys. God what terrible terrible movies those all are. Only reason to ever watch them is great pnw scenery and Taylor lautner's abs

I really wanna do those but I cannot figure out how to keep the movie and the commentary synced properly, especially if I need to pause it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Don't be like me and forget that your podcast app is set to playback at faster than normal speed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

duz posted:

Don't be like me and forget that your podcast app is set to playback at faster than normal speed.

Yeah, I use Overcast, and completely forgot that I was using the feature that cuts out dead air. Normally, a perfectly harmless feature. But on a commentary where they will occasionally have nothing to say, but you're trying to stay in sync with a movie? Makes it loving impossible until your dumbass remembers you have it turned on. "What the hell?! I know I was just in sync! How am I suddenly, like, 10 seconds off again?"

That happened WAY more times than I am proud to admit on the Catsmentary before I figured that poo poo out.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Then he was in that John Singleton movie Abudction

Oh the movie where no one gets abducted? Terrible

thrawn527 posted:

The dude is straight up hosed.

Nah he's still a handsome dude with a bazillion dollars I'm sure he'll do ok.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arson Daily posted:

Nah he's still a handsome dude with a bazillion dollars I'm sure he'll do ok.

True. I meant his career is hosed. He himself will be fine. He made enough money on Twilight to be fine for the rest of his life.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

enigmahfc posted:

totally not connected to any discussion going on, but what movie is their "People find things! People Lose things!" quote from? It's bothering the gently caress out of me because I feel like I should know

I have no idea but it sounds like Brian Cox. Is it Adaptation?

Edit: yes
https://youtu.be/JHVqxD8PNq8

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 30, 2020

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Isn’t Lautner in and out of the Adam Sandler Stable of guys these days? He’s doing just fine.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The CYA live event was pretty entertaining, but goddamn do movies need subtitles when doing a commentary.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Wait I wanna change my answer. Given how much they’ve talked smack about the Marvel movies.... what if the massive episode is Infinity War/Endgame? Yeah they did some brief On-Screens about them, but I’m sure they would love to go after them full bore.

The WLM could be the original Superman then?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

They did say during the Addams Family Values commentary last night that:

1) It is broken up into two parts (I don't know if that means they are releasing both parts together or separately during the week)
2) Those who get the Big Daddy Dispatch will find out like we do every month. So, we don't have to wait until the literal moment it drops to find out what it/they are.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

GPTribefan posted:

Wait I wanna change my answer. Given how much they’ve talked smack about the Marvel movies.... what if the massive episode is Infinity War/Endgame? Yeah they did some brief On-Screens about them, but I’m sure they would love to go after them full bore.

The WLM could be the original Superman then?

My recollection of their on screen about infinity war was they were generally positive, except for cabin.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Crabby Cabin.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I missed the Addams Family commentary :(. Paramount probably doesn't let them record that stuff, huh.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ep 500 is going to be Superman III and IV. WLM is Superman I

quote:

Episode 498 — Dante's Peak with Justin Case

Episode 499 — Multiplicity

Episode 500 — Superman III & Superman IV REDUX (releasing Tuesday 8/18 and Thursday 8/20)

Episode 501 — Stone Cold with Josh Lewis

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Superman: The Movie

Animation Damnation — Inspector Gadget: "Monster Lake" (s1, e1)

The Nexus: TOS: "Obsession" (s2, e13) TNG: "Samaritan Snare" (s2, e16)

Gleep Glossary: Jar Jar Binks

Patreon Re-Released Commentary: Star Trek: Nemesis

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Big Daddy Dispatch out now. Good pick for episode 500. Due for a rewatch of the entire series.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Never would have guessed those but great picks.

I hope they manage to talk about 2 for a bit as well, that's the one I've seen the most times and it has some really fun moments that fall on both sides of love and hate.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Big Daddy Dispatch posted:

It's been the best performing for you folks and we continue to do so with gratitude and humility, because without people posting on the AV Club message boards a decade ago, telling their buddies on the SomethingAwful forums, tweeting about it, telling your friends in person, starting and running Muldoons, the WHM Fan Wiki, making great show art, writing heartfelt emails, writing incredibly silly emails, calling into Listener Request Month, posting on Reddit, dragging your normie friends and lovers to Live Shows, keeping your credit cards current on Patreon.com, and most of all accosting us personally on the street, this show would've gone the way of hundreds of other independent movie podcasts and stopped a long time ago. We feel lucky and grateful for your hard work, which makes our hard work a lot more rewarding.

The forums were definitely what turned me onto the show, and I'm glad to be continuing to post in a thread of cool dudes (and dudettes) from different neighborhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m listening to the Leaguementary and they’re gonna have to redo it when the Snider Cut ™ comes out.