Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

"autism is a bourgeoisie fiction" is poo poo i've been seeing for years in tankie circles so not shocking to see strasserites running with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Welp guess I'm gonna be consoling at least a few hurt kids over why some people are trash fires in the next couple of days. Thanks for the head's up.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

"Online autism clout". :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I remember when like half the people online were self diagnosed with (to use the then current and now outdated term) asperger's syndrome while also claiming every smart person in history had it (I'll buy Newton, but they were claiming Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin).

But that was mostly men who were slightly better at computer poo poo than average and were also unpleasant to talk to.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh that still comes up all the time. I've had both medical professionals and seen tumblr posts theorizing dumb poo poo like "Oh Shakespeare, Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt all had it!" Not even kidding.

It's either young adults struggling to cope with what being ASD as an adult is going to mean (e.g: realizing no, they're not going to grow out of certain things and it's going to carry a real social cost on their lives even if they do their best and manage to only meet nice people) -- something all of us autistics go through and yes, it sucks as much as you'd think... or very very condescending medical professionals who honestly think ASD people are that stupid.

The real sad poo poo is that there are great examples out there-- Anthony Hopkins, Satoshi Taijiri, much more recently Hannah Gadsby-- but nope it's not enough to be merely excellent it has to be some historical 0.001% exception to all human society as a role model. There's a serious and real pressure on autistics to be some Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer type of savant to excuse their socially unaccepted habits.

This came up on a quick google search and it's some sad poo poo.

There's even an afterword "Medical Professionals and ASD people agree and we note where there's disagreement." :jerkbag:

The medical field for ASD is a loving trainwreck.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Aug 1, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Dan Aykroyd and Albert Einstein are both correct, but yeah that list is not great

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Did autism cause Jerry Seinfeld to not understand that dating a 16yo when you are 38 is frowned upon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Having worked with loads of them-- there is a real contingent of ASD men who are sexpests and do not seem to understand/care why it's a bad thing. It's a legit dark problem that has no good solution, and yes fucks it up for the majority of us who are not sexpests. There's an argument to be had about how much is ASD and how much of it are entitled men who can't hide/justify their entitlement like Neurotypical Men can, but it would sound like deflection and the problem would remain. Society is busted on so many levels.

Seinfeld has also tried to walk back the idea he's on the Spectrum because, well because he's an egocentric jackass who got stupid rich for his 90s sitcom and the stigma might stop people from sucking his dick for ten minutes, but honestly he's one of the few on that list where I do see the case for it. His entire observational style, fussiness, and uncannily stiff body language that only really works when he's being smug are all things I've seen in a lot of ASD guys.

and notice how this has sucked all the air out of a conversation that began about ASD women getting a raw deal.

I'll stop the derail, but goddamn I could rant about this crap.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/GarrettIsVibin/status/1289595268690657281?s=19

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Steve jobs got too strong on superfoods, tred carefully

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Just holy poo poo at the idea that claiming to have autism gives you internet cool points or something. Some people really internalized that time in 2005 they read the Wikipedia article on asperger syndrome and it seemed to tell them they were smarter than everybody else while giving them a convenient excuse for being poorly socialized.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

loving ghouls.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

It feels fake because he clearly has the right answers in there. "Gatekeeping. Everyone called me an rear end in a top hat. An outside observer said I should apologize."

But we all know people like this.

"Some chick we've known for only 2 years and spend a lot of time with."

That's called a friend, you loving dork.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zesty posted:

It feels fake because he clearly has the right answers in there. "Gatekeeping. Everyone called me an rear end in a top hat. An outside observer said I should apologize."

Ironically, he's been a fake friend this whole time!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zesty posted:

It’s fake because every submission to AITA is fake

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here, have an embarrassment of idiots:

https://twitter.com/ExAstrisUmbra/status/1289724029293625345

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Dan Aykroyd and Albert Einstein are both correct, but yeah that list is not great

Dan Aykroyd claims he was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome in the early 80's when it did not yet exist as a diagnosis. Asperger syndrome was only considered a separate thing from autism for a period of about 20 years.

Some people claim Spielberg is autistic as well and if it's true it explains how all of his child characters are basically written as tiny adults.

Being on the autism spectrum myself I get the impression that Dostoyevsky was or was close to an autistic person. There were far too many autistic traits in Prince Myshkin for it to be a coincidence.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Doctor says you've only got weeks to live? Don't worry, herbs can give you more thyme...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at old men stealing early 2010s fads of claiming you have ASDs for reasons.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

rodbeard posted:

Dan Aykroyd claims he was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome in the early 80's when it did not yet exist as a diagnosis. Asperger syndrome was only considered a separate thing from autism for a period of about 20 years.

look dan obviously has something going on with his brain and i just took his word about it

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

What the gently caress is this?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well two of the accounts are on there for "HBD", which stands for human biodiversity aka "It's just science that nonwhites are inferior, I'm not racist just rationalist :jerkbag:"

So I'm gonna guess it's a nazi list

e: specifically "Top 10 underrated twitter nazis that you should FOLLOW NOW!!!1!"

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Aug 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I thought that said HBO and figured it was someone who really likes the american television channel.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

IDW is probably the intellectual dark web, which tells you all you need to know.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well two of the accounts are on there for "HBD", which stands for human biodiversity aka "It's just science that nonwhites are inferior, I'm not racist just rationalist :jerkbag:"

So I'm gonna guess it's a nazi list

e: specifically "Top 10 underrated twitter nazis that you should FOLLOW NOW!!!1!"

ultrafilter posted:

IDW is probably the intellectual dark web, which tells you all you need to know.

Yeah, sorry, should have been clearer, thanks for expanding those dumb dogwhistles acronyms! :sweatdrop:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I thought it was the comic book company. Glad it's not.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/s_amememe___/status/1289221035242512385?s=21

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sure is weird all these galaxy bean genius are making video essays and not making iron man suits and helping Musk do super science.

or whatever the gently caress the IDW thinks they can do once sjws die.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/EmmaRoulstone/status/1288745915768082433
https://twitter.com/EmmaRoulstone/status/1289476944518504448

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

having seen quite a few of bin laden's videos, a good number of them are literally just him looking at stuff on the computer or watching short video clips and commenting on it, also the editing was terrible even tho he had at least two other guys to help him do them
much better terrorist than vlogger, is what i'm saying

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

having seen quite a few of bin laden's videos, a good number of them are literally just him looking at stuff on the computer or watching short video clips and commenting on it, also the editing was terrible even tho he had at least two other guys to help him do them

heard this post in Jemaine Clement's voice

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Were you still filming at the time?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

china bot posted:

heard this post in Jemaine Clement's voice

I got more of a Matthew Holness as Garth Marenghi vibe.

"I know people who use timed explosives and they're cowards."

Edit for content:

https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/1289052525304455168

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Aug 2, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

look i made a lot of bad decisions as a tween but helping osama bin laden make videos wasn't one of them okay

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My Terror Attack On The United States REACT Video

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Henchman of Santa posted:

My Terror Attack On The United States REACT Video

hey all you mujahid it's osama here and we have got a really special video here for you today. see, our soldiers of allah recently captured a kuffar american soldier, and today we're going to behead him

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

hey all you mujahid it's osama here and we have got a really special video here for you today. see, our soldiers of allah recently captured a kuffar american soldier, and today we're going to behead him

OFFICER DOWN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So Mr. "Not Finishing This Series Everyone Already Soured On Because of How the TV Adaptation Ended" here mispronounced the name of a magazine at the Hugos. This is what he has to say for himself:

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1289587967086870528