Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

The first 12 episodes of Ainori: African Journey just popped up on the US Netflix. It's like Ainori, but...in Africa this time. The first couple of episodes have been pretty good, at least, if you like Ainori.

(If you've not seen it, Ainori's basic premise is that they stick 6-7 twenty-somethings into a pink bus and drive them around Asia (or, in this case, Africa) in the hopes that they find True Love with each other, all while having cultural experiences punctuated with occasional drama and wailing. For some reason I found it strangely endearing. Plus you learn stuff about different countries. Kyrgyzstan is pretty!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpc8C7anz_4

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Part 3 of the Batsu is subbed and out. The crew are ruthless this year, I lost it when they started doing the parody of the Yoshimoto scandal, especially Matsumoto's reaction to it since he'd been really vocal about the whole thing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"So cute"

https://twitter.com/matsu_bouzu/status/1249595185601720320

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Parts 4 and 5 are out, 5 just yesterday. They really switched things up this year and the batsu has been hilarious so far. I can't believe we're only halfway through it.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Stare-Out posted:

Parts 4 and 5 are out, 5 just yesterday. They really switched things up this year and the batsu has been hilarious so far. I can't believe we're only halfway through it.

agreed, even the bus parts have been amazing

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1264045951607386113?s=20

Hana Kimura took her own life after being cyber bullied by people who think Terrace House is actually real.

gently caress 2020.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Dancing Peasant posted:

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1264045951607386113?s=20

Hana Kimura took her own life after being cyber bullied by people who think Terrace House is actually real.

gently caress 2020.

more on this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2020/05/23/stardom-wrestler-hana-kimura-dead-at-22-amid-cyberbullying/

real sad to hear about hana. i wasn't a fan of her on the show but i would never wish her any harm. the internet was a mistake.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
People in the thread might only know her from Terrace House but there's so many people sharing stories right now of her going out of her way as a wrestler to cheer people up or make people smile, not even as part of her job or status, but just because that's who she was as a person.

She was only 22, and that's the worst part about it. How many of you remember being that age and not even knowing what to do with yourself or know who you are yet? She got a lot of horrible messages online because of an episode shot months ago and just couldn't handle the abuse anymore. A lot of her friends tried to reach out to her when she initially posted images of self harm, but in her last moments she deleted the self harm images and told her friends that she was doing okay.

Apparently by the time a friend reached her home, she had already passed on. It had to have been less than an hour between when she first posted her goodbyes and when someone arrived

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The only surprise is that something like this didn't happen sooner. The entire show was a setup to make people look certain ways, oftentimes foolish or fail to find romance. The commentators are amusing at first but aren't exactly good people with strong knowledge of social relations. They just make increasingly sexualized comments as the seasons pass and offer less interesting perspectives with each episode. It's likely that Yama is toast. The other comedian is a crook and probably won't ever come back to the show either. So we'll return to You and maybe a few other guests casually commenting on what transpired the previous episode like a few seasons ago. Less "Konbanwa" and more "just the facts please."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
A guy from the first, pre-Netflix season basically starved himself to death iirc

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Terrace House production to be terminated. Not terribly shocking.

https://twitter.com/jt_osaki/status/1265603077299597312

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I wonder if it’s because they actually are concerned for human life or if they were simply unwilling to change anything and gave a “no changes or we cancel” ultimatum.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wasn't production already suspended because of COVID? I know there had been a few new episodes, but those were stuff that was already in the can pre-quarantine right?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

General Dog posted:

Wasn't production already suspended because of COVID? I know there had been a few new episodes, but those were stuff that was already in the can pre-quarantine right?

There were at least 4 ready to go. They're just not going to air them now apparently.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Reality shows should all die.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I enjoyed the first couple of iterations of Terrace House (the pre-Netflix season and the first Netflix season) but it was diminishing returns for me after that. Seemed that the producer intervention and manufactured drama, which of course had always been there, became a lot more overt as the show went on.

Boy, was it beautifully shot though; it looked better than a lot of mid-budget movies.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

The first series was really great. Definitely went down in quality over the years though. It's my guilty pleasure so I've still been watching, I really hope it's not the end of the line. Hopefully they get some counsellors on hand though to help cast members deal with people being horrible on the internet.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Nah, the show can stay cancelled

https://twitter.com/UnseenJapanSite/status/1265753538056957952
https://twitter.com/UnseenJapanSite/status/1265755085121839105

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

None of that really conflicts with how I gathered the show worked

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Even with engineering it's still seen as very real in Japan, think The Real World in its first few seasons. Hence the hate, hence the SNS drama...

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
the Chono segment in this batsu is the best one in years

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You can't just drop that and not mention that the full sub is out now.

By the way, the full sub is out now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I missed some of the things from previous batsus (no Jimmy this year) but overall it was great. Heipo just kills me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I missed some of the things from previous batsus (no Jimmy this year) but overall it was great. Heipo just kills me.

god how much has changed since this debuted live :psyduck:

there's one skit that my wife told me not to quote in public

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Jimmy suckin on a pig nip for all eternity.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A new silent library!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I finally watched the 2019 New Year's Batsu game and holy poo poo this one was incredibly full of nostalgia for me. Excellent stuff!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I finally watched the 2019 New Year's Batsu game and holy poo poo this one was incredibly full of nostalgia for me. Excellent stuff!
I feel like they're hitting their end and need to pass the torch, at least Downtown, and introduce new members into the mix. I'd love the original format to return where there's a member or two behind the scenes just torturing everyone else. Downtown finally being able to torture their juniors together would be a unique twist on the No Laughing Batsu. I feel like we're just right on the cusp of a SMAP member becoming a full-time regular in the show.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Aren't the SMAP guys like 50 too though

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RealFoxy posted:

I feel like they're hitting their end and need to pass the torch, at least Downtown, and introduce new members into the mix. I'd love the original format to return where there's a member or two behind the scenes just torturing everyone else. Downtown finally being able to torture their juniors together would be a unique twist on the No Laughing Batsu. I feel like we're just right on the cusp of a SMAP member becoming a full-time regular in the show.

Yeah Documental hits a very different but somewhat familiar feeling for the above mention of the old format. I wish that we would get the other seasons of it subtitled from Amazon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Aren't the SMAP guys like 50 too though

Lol yup. I’m here for the idea, but it’s not like that group is fresh and new. Not sure who they’d pass the torch to but that idea isn’t half bad.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
This is a long shot, I'm sure, but does anyone know of a group translating the new season of Hanzawa Naoki? I've been waiting on this for like 8 years now, and now that it's finally airing, I can't find it in English anywhere.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

This is a long shot, I'm sure, but does anyone know of a group translating the new season of Hanzawa Naoki? I've been waiting on this for like 8 years now, and now that it's finally airing, I can't find it in English anywhere.

It looks like someone on d-addicts is subbing it and they've posted sub files for the first two episodes (I think you need an account to view the forum idk if you have one)

https://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=165330

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 2, 2020

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It looks like someone on d-addicts is subbing it and they've posted sub files for the first two episodes (I think you need an account to view the forum idk if you have one)

https://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=165330

You do seem to need a login for that link, and I can't register an account. Whenever I try, I just get a generic error message that doesn't tell me anything. :sigh:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Some awesome people have been putting up blu ray rips of the older batsus (Matsumoto Hotel, High School, Hospital, and Police Station so far) on the gakinotsukai reddit there are links to go get em.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Lol Terrace House: Opening New Doors's model boy Shion got caught with weed

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

KingShiro posted:

Some awesome people have been putting up blu ray rips of the older batsus (Matsumoto Hotel, High School, Hospital, and Police Station so far) on the gakinotsukai reddit there are links to go get em.

This rules. Thanks for the heads up.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I got the American Police one and sudden blackface was unexpected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I got the American Police one and sudden blackface was unexpected
Blackface is disgusting in America because of the racist connotations, The Gaki skit was harpooned because of the same reason and Hamada actually apologized iirc but I think the idea was Hamada earnestly trying to pay tribute to one of his favorite comedians. Blackface is still offensive, don't get me wrong, but Japan didn't have the years of cartoons/shows/stage plays that actually carried racism for them to have thought much of it.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 6, 2020