Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Ignis is definitely gay and I won't hear anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I just started Shadowbringers and lmao goddamn what an insane lead-in and concept for an xpac, this rules. not sure why I spoilered this

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy really isn't gay enough. It's basically this and the Honeybee Inn, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of poo poo. I'd guess FF14 would have solid gay representation at this point too.

Also Fang really should've gotten a lot more screen time, she really doesn't get to do a lot of cool poo poo.
I feel like Sabin from 6 was coded as gay but it's been a while since I played so it's very possible that's headcanon

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Sabin is volcel

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sabin's true love is punching poo poo and suplexing trains.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Vichan posted:

You're right, I should at least see it all through before passing judgement.

How is the DLC compared to the base game?

Well, finished the game so I can finally give my verdict.

It's poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pyrus Malus posted:

I just started Shadowbringers and lmao goddamn what an insane lead-in and concept for an xpac, this rules. not sure why I spoilered this

Enjoy the best Final Fantasy!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

I feel like Sabin from 6 was coded as gay but it's been a while since I played so it's very possible that's headcanon

I could see that.

I think we all decided that Faris in non-binary too.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Faris and Fang are some of my favorite characters.

Basically characters that start with Fa is what I'm saying.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFV’s characters were great. The lamest of the bunch was Lenna but considering there has to be a boring protagonist I guess she’s fine. Faris and her pirate crew ruled, they all just pretended she was a dude because they respected her enough and she wanted to be a dude. Very cool game, very cool characters, ExDeath rules.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes I just want to loving beat up a tree with my two girlfriends and adopted little sister while dressed as a ninja.

This is why FFV is great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or just throw money at literally every single problem and have it actually work out just fine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy really isn't gay enough. It's basically this and the Honeybee Inn, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of poo poo. I'd guess FF14 would have solid gay representation at this point too.

Also Fang really should've gotten a lot more screen time, she really doesn't get to do a lot of cool poo poo.

FF14 has a wide array of characters both male and female who are totally into the WoL so no matter which gender your character is it ends up being gay as hell.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

jokes posted:

Enjoy the best Final Fantasy!

I have decided that despite my previous post about the concept/premise being wild as hell it's also the most final fantasy either of the mmorpgs have final fantasy'd

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It definitely has elements of like... FF9, FF10. It’s by far the best part of FF14 imo and I have been thinking a lot about what it says that the one time they just gently caress off and leave all the interconnected plot behind they end up making the best one

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It definitely has elements of like... FF9, FF10. It’s by far the best part of FF14 imo and I have been thinking a lot about what it says that the one time they just gently caress off and leave all the interconnected plot behind they end up making the best one

Lol this expac is explicitly the MOST bout that interconnected plot poo poo.

Half of it is about the backstory and details and persona stories of the interconnected plot bullshit villain guys. To the point the top dog of them is rolling around with you the whole time (ANd also he's the founder of the evil empire this is all connected to)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yes but it also is disconnected in a way that allows it to be imo the most interesting world so far

And they had to leave the world to do it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Eorzea is like the best constructed and interesting worlds in the series though?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

And Tyler Too! posted:

I haven't tried the DLC yet, my Regalia can fly so I'm enjoying that.

I like how we all just steamrolled past this insane opinion. Are you even human? I don't know anybody who likes how they implemented FF15's version of the airship in that game. Are you sure you aren't talking about the monster truck option?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Norvrandt is also very cool though and it's fun to see a "disconnected" world done well in an MMO when WoW's Warlords of Draenor did a similar thing but is regarded as one of the worst expansions.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally finished XIII-2 after spending way too long doing all the good and fun fragment quests. I was waay overlevelled for the end but I didn't mind, I already had my fill of boss fights taking down the superbosses on Archie's Steppeppe.

I did intend to 100% it but I already put 45 hours in and I don't even wanna think how long it could take to fill the pokedex, so I ended up watching all the extra endings on youtube. Time Cop Snow was pretty great and actually filled in a major plot point which I wasn't expecting from joke ending.

The actual ending though, god drat. I should have seen that coming, all the cards were on the table and Ayanami Rei even warned me specifically but I just wanted to believe :smith:

Overall it was a pretty good game, definitely better than XIII if perhaps a bit easy. Looking forward to playing Lightning Returns now, if only to get some closure.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I was ready to write off FF15 as a terrible game when I completed it. That was a bit weird for me, as I'm generally a fan of the newer installments and I've never felt anything close to that negativity for any of the other games in the series.

I thought I'd try to give it a fair shake and tried going back to do all the different side content, and I felt a lot more positively toward it afterwards. The worst parts of XV are the big setpiece fights and story driven sections, and the best part is the gameplay loop of open world optional content.

Also the flying regalia is cool and good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Flying Regalia is fine. Getting it back on the ground was the bad part.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

jokes posted:

FFV’s characters were great. The lamest of the bunch was Lenna but considering there has to be a boring protagonist I guess she’s fine. Faris and her pirate crew ruled, they all just pretended she was a dude because they respected her enough and she wanted to be a dude. Very cool game, very cool characters, ExDeath rules.

Lenna recognized this and sought out poison at every opportunity to spice it up a bit.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Mustached Demon posted:

Lenna recognized this and sought out poison at every opportunity to spice it up a bit.

Lenna's chronic death wish is one of the funniest reoccurring parts of FF5.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

RillAkBea posted:

I think this pretty much explains some of this fairly well. Keep in mind the first localized FF games were localized under Nintendo when they were at their most zealous in terms of content censoring. The series still hadn't reached widespread popularity in the west before FF7 so Sony probably went with a low bidder and let it roll, then started vetting scripts once the series proved it had selling power in the west.

A while back there was an interview with Richard Honeywell about translating for Square during the psx era (I wanna say on 1up.com?). What I remember is deadline hell, lack of editors, higher ups that didn't think quality translations mattered, and struggling with the games using a jp font's English characters. It was really interesting and I'd Google for it, but I'm phone posting.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I remember that interview, and IIRC a lot of VII’s translation was done via spreadsheets of text with like...little to no context. And also a general lack of time and editing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HD DAD posted:

I remember that interview, and IIRC a lot of VII’s translation was done via spreadsheets of text with like...little to no context. And also a general lack of time and editing.

this is how many translations are still done

Also speaking of which this was a wild revelation

https://twitter.com/perchbird_/status/1261412634621915136

https://twitter.com/perchbird_/status/1283255785645105153

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
oh my god

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gologle posted:

I like how we all just steamrolled past this insane opinion. Are you even human? I don't know anybody who likes how they implemented FF15's version of the airship in that game. Are you sure you aren't talking about the monster truck option?

There are way too many 'reset zones' and I have been cockblocked out of a lot of sweet jumps. Now I can extend a middle finger to all the vague areas I wanted to ramp over from the skies.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Considering the history of 1.0 it should not come as great surprise that FF14 is basically an enterprise application from 2004.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/perchbird_/status/1283250315018604544?s=19

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

this is how many translations are still done

Also speaking of which this was a wild revelation

https://twitter.com/perchbird_/status/1261412634621915136

https://twitter.com/perchbird_/status/1283255785645105153

This is beautiful and I love it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I figured out which fight it was that made me originally think FFXV was a hard game: the end of chapter 3 boss Mindflayer. I got to him this time after putting it off a bit, doing quests and levelling up and he was super easy. I know I also did chapter 4 for sure before (my save was deleted when I got a replacement ps4) but I haven't got a hell of a lot further than that I think.

I just saw the fishing guy all the way in the west side of the map and he challenged me to get a particular fish at dawn. My 1.5k line broke when the fish was about half-health so I need a better line, it seems. I also need to do some fishing levelling somewhere I suppose, but I never know which lures to use where.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

redreader posted:

I figured out which fight it was that made me originally think FFXV was a hard game: the end of chapter 3 boss Mindflayer. I got to him this time after putting it off a bit, doing quests and levelling up and he was super easy. I know I also did chapter 4 for sure before (my save was deleted when I got a replacement ps4) but I haven't got a hell of a lot further than that I think.

I just saw the fishing guy all the way in the west side of the map and he challenged me to get a particular fish at dawn. My 1.5k line broke when the fish was about half-health so I need a better line, it seems. I also need to do some fishing levelling somewhere I suppose, but I never know which lures to use where.

Make sure to actually upgrade your rod & reel too. Those will influence how quickly you wear down a fish and how much the fish wears down your line. As soon as you see the white tension meter, stop reeling until it goes away.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Polderjoch posted:

Lenna's chronic death wish is one of the funniest reoccurring parts of FF5.

FFV really just rules. Lenna’s death wish is just an extra absurdity in a game filled to the brim with absurdities and it’s just a great time.

I personally guarantee you Faris will never in this life smell poison then have a heart attack out of fear, dying. Oh poor ol’ Lenna, thought about dragon grass and died.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

Make sure to actually upgrade your rod & reel too. Those will influence how quickly you wear down a fish and how much the fish wears down your line. As soon as you see the white tension meter, stop reeling until it goes away.

I forget what the ultimate fish is called but I remember it legit took 20-30 minutes to land it after I got it on the line. way harder than the adamantoise

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FFV illustrates the value of a good localization almost as much as VI does. That original Japanese script is dry, but the GBA translation? Just charming.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't think rod and reel upgrades were available, I'll look them up, thanks! I'm on chapter 5 now and I don't remember getting much further than this before.

Edit: what's the dlc tier list? I don't think any dlc existed when I last played this game. Anything worth getting?

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

If memory serves "hate" is the primary word used for enemy aggro in Japanese so that only makes sense.