Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

L'Rell is basically one of those Arab minority dictators put in charge by the British because they're largely hated by the rest of the population and can be relied upon to remember who put them there and carry out their interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is what happens when you steal your plot points from Wing Commander III.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Alchenar posted:

Evaluation: total loss.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TheCenturion posted:

Evaluation: total loss.jpg.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TheCenturion posted:

Evaluation: total loss.

I never did forgive them for having the Concordia go out like that. She deserved better than to get blown up as part of the exposition for the next game.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It occurs to me as we get closer to Disco S3 that the Temporal Cold War is probably going to be a plot device.

And Crewman Daniels.

And then I shout “Oh No!” weakly inside my head.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Powered Descent posted:

I never did forgive them for having the Concordia go out like that. She deserved better than to get blown up as part of the exposition for the next game.

I still have my original box and stuff for WC3. Every time Hammill comes to a con in Toronto, I think about standing in line for the day to get him to sign it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Gonz posted:

And Crewman Daniels.

Recast and killed by temporally displacing vertical half of his body right in the beginning of episode 3 :hawaaaafap:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's a modern, more mature Trek, he'll be slowly dissolved by a radiation field throughout the entire episode, loudly and repeatedly begging for the release of death, but it's ok because people have died on Trek before and there was that one episode of TNG with a sold three quarters of a second of gore and then never again for the next two decades.

Also an awkward f-bomb and a some alien tiddy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Matt Winston (Daniels) still looks really good. Though Disco’s trajectory puts it about a solid 100 years after Daniels’s time.

Then again, that’s never stopped him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gonz posted:

It occurs to me as we get closer to Disco S3 that the Temporal Cold War is probably going to be a plot device.

And Crewman Daniels.

And then I shout “Oh No!” weakly inside my head.
If my recollection is correct, Daniels was from the 30th century and Disco is showing up in the 32nd

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

If my recollection is correct, Daniels was from the 30th century and Disco is showing up in the 32nd

Too bad he can't time travel then

:v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My bigger point is that they need to forget that the TCW happened

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

My bigger point is that they need to forget that the TCW happened

Yes, this please. It was an incredibly stupid and pointless plot line.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Im still mad about the nazi aliens

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mythicknight posted:

Im still mad about the nazi aliens
I think i read that someone came up with that idea at random and they just ran with it?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Berman and Braga came up with it as a hail mary to force UPN into giving them a fourth season, since someone would have had to take the heat for cancelling Star Trek on a Nazi alien cliffhanger.

UPN was itching to cancel the show by mid-season 3.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was itching to cancel it by the end of the first episode.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Boy, poo poo really turned bad in those 200 years huh. Wasn’t the enterprise-j or whatever from the 30th century a while flying metropolis?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The E-J was during the 26th century, IIRC.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Boy, poo poo really turned bad in those 200 years huh. Wasn’t the enterprise-j or whatever from the 30th century a while flying metropolis?

26th century, so halfway between now and when Discovery is going.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

- Daniels was from ~3064 and seemed to work for a multinational agency enforcing the Temporal Accords. The Federation and Earth are apparently doing fine at this point.
- Enterprise discovered a damaged and broken Federation timepod from the 31st century that was bigger on the inside.
- Timeship Relativity was the 29th Century and worked for a Starfleet/Federation section called the Temporal Integrity Commission.
- The Nah'kul, an anti-accord faction, were from the mid-29th century.
- The Cabal, the anti-accord faction supporting the suliban in the Temporal Cold War, were from the mid-28th century.
- We know the Temporal Accord has been signed by the mid-28th and the Federation had time-archeologists from this era who would use time travel to observe things while following the temporal prime directrive.
- Enterprise-J was the 26th Century. Doesn't seem to have been a timeship.

Discovery is travelling to ~3205.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 1, 2020

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Given references Michael makes in the trailers about finding what went wrong with the federation, it seemed like she was going to try and find out the event that put them down the wrong path and then use time travel to undo it. But that would mean they'd be priming themselves to reboot the setting of the show again

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lister posted:

Given references Michael makes in the trailers about finding what went wrong with the federation, it seemed like she was going to try and find out the event that put them down the wrong path and then use time travel to undo it. But that would mean they'd be priming themselves to reboot the setting of the show again

Oh man she's going to be pissed off when Nero shows up.

e: "What went wrong? Well best as we can tell from the archaeological record some guy called 'Picard' triggered an AI apocalypse. We spent the next 600 years crawling out of the rubble".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They shat on Kirk and Spock canon to shoehorn in Burnham, they can definitely shoehorn Daniels and time travel out and replace it so Burnham (and Disco) being the only ones who ever did it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think they care enough about continuity not to use Daniels

I just don't think they care about Enterprise enough to use Daniels

Maybe a time traveling Robert Duncan McNeil but he's playing federation badboy Nicholas Parris (original character do not pay royalties)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

I don't think they care enough about continuity not to use Daniels

I just don't think they care about Enterprise enough to use Daniels

Maybe a time traveling Robert Duncan McNeil but he's playing federation badboy Nicholas Parris (original character do not pay royalties)

They mentioned the Defiant crossing to the mirror universe from Enterprise, an event they could have ignored.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And they did mention Archer when they were about to install a puppet government on Qo’noS.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't think they need to reference or show Daniels, but it would be a major miss to not acknowledge the fact that Starfleet had timeships and time travel was a part of it's mission recently.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

- Daniels was from ~3064 and seemed to work for a multinational agency enforcing the Temporal Accords. The Federation and Earth are apparently doing fine at this point.
- Enterprise discovered a damaged and broken Federation timepod from the 31st century that was bigger on the inside.
- Timeship Relativity was the 29th Century and worked for a Starfleet/Federation section called the Temporal Integrity Commission.
- The Nah'kul, an anti-accord faction, were from the mid-29th century.
- The Cabal, the anti-accord faction supporting the suliban in the Temporal Cold War, were from the mid-28th century.
- We know the Temporal Accord has been signed by the mid-28th and the Federation had time-archeologists from this era who would use time travel to observe things while following the temporal prime directrive.
- Enterprise-J was the 26th Century. Doesn't seem to have been a timeship.

Discovery is travelling to ~3205.
Right so I guess some poo poo goes down after Daniels' time?

I just hope to God that they don't bring back the TCW poo poo

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I mean, I don't know what they're going to use as background or not, but from Daniels to when Voyager is going is 200 years, and things can change a lot in 200 years. Look at the state of the world today as compared to the state of the world in 1820. Society has changed, technology has changed, values have changed. Places that were global powers then don't exist anymore. Meanwhile, a whole lot of new countries have arisen,It's even more dramatic if you look at the time that's past since the latest we've seen the Federation....the TNG/DS9/Voyager time period. That's 8 centuries, and if you compare the world today to the 1220s, that's even a bigger difference.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Have they said if they are using any of the stuff from the Short Trek set in the future? It's just weird that they made that one which has Disco in the future with no crew and a very advanced AI without much explanation but that may be separate from what Season 3 is doing.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have they said if they are using any of the stuff from the Short Trek set in the future? It's just weird that they made that one which has Disco in the future with no crew and a very advanced AI without much explanation but that may be separate from what Season 3 is doing.

I mean, it would make sense for that Short Trek to be related to the season, I'd think, because otherwise you just have Discovery abandoned in the future with no relation to a season set in the future.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In Calypso, Discovery had been sitting there for around 1000 years though, right? So that means that takes place even further than the current time jump - so like, the 42nd century.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It also seemed like maybe the AI from that episode had some relation to Control but i guess not

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It also seemed like maybe the AI from that episode had some relation to Control but i guess not

I still say that Zora is an evolved form of the sphere data in the ship's computer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alchenar posted:

It's really uncomfortable how Blair (the loving player character) is super racist about Hobbes in WC2 and then in WC3 it turns out he was absolutely right to be racist and it was wrong of him to grow and trust.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’re just going 1000 years in the future to prove Edison/Krall right that unity is a weakness. :ohdear:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Epicurius posted:

I mean, it would make sense for that Short Trek to be related to the season, I'd think, because otherwise you just have Discovery abandoned in the future with no relation to a season set in the future.

I think it could go either way. If it does end up being relevant to the season that would be fantastic, but it also feels a little like they had an idea of where they wanted to take the plot, made that Short Trek, and then veered off in a different direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Senor Tron posted:

I think it could go either way. If it does end up being relevant to the season that would be fantastic, but it also feels a little like they had an idea of where they wanted to take the plot, made that Short Trek, and then veered off in a different direction.

That is sadly plausible. The new showrunner is very unlikely to consider themselves bound by that piece.