Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Dogs. No one knows where they come from but they're here and they're here to stay.

For the most part this has been a good thing! Dogs are cool. They can run and jump and sit! They can eat and be your friend. But then some clown decided to transform them into something horrible and now I'm personally stuck having to see an occasional bichon frise. Yuck!

How is it an animal can elicit such range of emotion? If I see a St. Bernard, a Bernese mountain dog, a Samoyed, a retriever etc, I am filled with joy but when I see a dog like a bichon frise I actually feel repulsed? I'm the kind of idiot who isn't bothered by critters like maggots, house centipedes, wasps or parasitic liver flukes but then someone's beloved pet makes me all grossed out.

seriously their eyes get all crusty and stained and I've never met one that wasn't a complete annoying growling twit. I know it's not their fault and they only exist because people decided to smash increasingly ugly dogs together. Maybe a goon owns one that isn't a complete sack of crust? Can dogism be overcome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Dogs are cool OP

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
i would argue that 90-95% of dogs are cool. :colbert: the dog in your avatar, for example, is cool.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

pit bulls

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
:dogcited:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i'll grant that this one may have been cleaned up for the photo, but it's equally likely the owners you've met just all suck at taking care of their dogs

cats are better anyway

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Only a cocker spaniel who is mostly matted fur and eyeboogers, but loves you unconditionally can overcome your dogism OP.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

borzoi look like some silent hill poo poo and i refuse to be near one

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

i'll grant that this one may have been cleaned up for the photo, but it's equally likely the owners you've met just all suck at taking care of their dogs

cats are better anyway

They're definitely more acceptable when they let the fur grow out and they just end up looking like a funny person but yeah, I've known a family that had just the worst bichon frise ever. Visually and behaviorally.

It'd pee on anything brought into the house. Was very yappy and growled when approached. It would get pissed off if you went into the hallway to go to the bathroom. It shat all over their basement. His stupid wiener would always be out and he'd try to hump you. It was not a pleasant creature to be around.

They gave it away to someone who seemed like they knew what they were doing and ended up with a cat who was way way way way way way more pleasant.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

borzoi look like some silent hill poo poo and i refuse to be near one

wow, thought that might be shopped or intentionally distorted somehow but even still...

definitely would make a rad silent hill dog though

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

my dog died im sad posted:

Only a cocker spaniel who is mostly matted fur and eyeboogers, but loves you unconditionally can overcome your dogism OP.

Good lord no. Please. Anything but that. :(

That's like when a cat that's mostly sores and testicles that wants to be really really nice to you.

v: yeah, small white curly dogs are gross. I'm imagining a grey one and it's not so bad. Haha I'm giving him a treat!

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 1, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Little white dogs suck

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Op is right

Dogs are great but what we've done to them is poo poo

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Op is right

Dogs are great but what we've done to them is poo poo

I wish aliens would do to us what we have done to dogs.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I think the only other animals we may have hosed around so much with very little regard for the actual offspring are pigeons and goldfish. People have basically bred them to have incredibly malformed skeletons.

Pugs are funny because they can't breathe. :downs:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

ouf, well. There's definitely speculative fiction out there if you really have to scratch that itch. It's definitely a freaky thought experiment.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

They have. Not even they selectively bred you though

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Look up "All Tomorrows" by C. M. Kosemen for a great illustrated book about exactly this.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

deadwing posted:

pit bulls

Paging lowtax and his wrong opinion.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I think the only other animals we may have hosed around so much with very little regard for the actual offspring are pigeons and goldfish. People have basically bred them to have incredibly malformed skeletons.

Pugs are funny because they can't breathe. :downs:

ouf, well. There's definitely speculative fiction out there if you really have to scratch that itch. It's definitely a freaky thought experiment.
dogs have extremely unusual genetic variance within the species
if you tried to breed subspecies of rats that have as much difference from each other as a chow-chow does from a chihuahua you could not do it

it kind of seems like historically we breed dogs for traits and their skeletons and fur just morph insanely in the process for no reason

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

maybe they already have :tinfoil:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

PinheadSlim posted:

Look up "All Tomorrows" by C. M. Kosemen for a great illustrated book about exactly this.

Cool, well this is a bit of a rabbit hole:

https://aliens.fandom.com/wiki/Category:All_Tomorrows_Universe

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Chihuahuas fuckin suck and are bad dogs

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Only humans could breed an animal that is allergic to it's own soul

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

Hey gently caress you #notallchihuahuas are bad, mine is super chill and friendly

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Cubone posted:

dogs have extremely unusual genetic variance within the species
if you tried to breed subspecies of rats that have as much difference from each other as a chow-chow does from a chihuahua you could not do it

it kind of seems like historically we breed dogs for traits and their skeletons and fur just morph insanely in the process for no reason

Ah, that's incredibly interesting. Makes sense, canines can do a lot of interspecific breeding.

Like roses!

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

cats are better anyway

Yeah I've thought about those at some length, it's the stupid domed hemisphere at the top of the skull that was the big mistake. The other parts are just standard dog stuff.

edit: the name is dumb as gently caress too, come to think of it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

While I feel chihuahuas are fairly well known as nippy little psychos; Dachshunds can also be aggressive little shits. They tend to attract the same sort of owner who thinks they are cute, and wants a "small dog" because they equate small with "easy to care for".

They don't realize these lil suckers are energetic, stubborn, scent hounds that were developed to drive badgers out of their burrows. Just the other day on the elevator I had one frothing to take a chunk out of my calf muscle while its bejeweled phone, canary yellow track suit wearing, giant sunglasses, knock off fendi bag carrying owner feebly attempted to control it while on a phone call. I was essentially pinned to the corner of the lift and she just made the white person smile face at me:

and mouthed "sorry" while I contemplated what my future would be like if I ended up on twitter as "guy who kicks cute wiener dog on elevator".

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bernese mountain dogs are objectively the cutest

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Longhair Afghan Hounds(Saruman dogs) are hideous.

97% of dalmatians are unredeemable beasts of discourtesy.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
not a fan of people forcing their dogs to learn elaborate tricks for nothing but the owners entertainment

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

more than anything i wanted to be proven wrong...not be surrounded by other dogists! :negative:

you should check out my dog, he's green

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8xLnStoNC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-p747h4HKw

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Brachycephalic breeds like pugs and shih tzus are revolting and should be allowed to go extinct. Dogs that can't breathe properly aren't cute.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's because you're a moron.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

gary oldmans diary posted:

not a fan of people forcing their dogs to learn elaborate tricks for nothing but the owners entertainment

Most dogs enjoy the training process because the most effective way to train is through positive reinforcement. Its one of the best ways for an owner to bond with their dog.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

vyst posted:

Bernese mountain dogs are objectively the cutest

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

smoobles posted:

Hey gently caress you #notallchihuahuas are bad, mine is super chill and friendly

Chihuahuas generally have good temperaments, so do Bichons (which is one of the most well mannered breeds). There's just an odd stereotype against them because, as usual, chihuahuas were (and still are) a popular breed, and when a breed is popular the amount of incompetent owners increases proportionally. I've known as many heinously poorly trained Pirs, Labs, Retrievers, Shibas, etc. as any other breed. If the breed is popular it will have tons of examples of irresponsible owners. People buy and adopt dogs on a whim.

People just project weird personal poo poo onto animals. From all the vet tech work I've done I've known a staggering amount of people with animus against small breeds because they consider them "gay" or effete. People who treat dogs as status symbols are uniformly garbage. So do people who instinctually loathe breeds because of the owner's stupidity.

At least have some awareness of your own brainless bias before getting bizarrely mad at small dogs.

Honestly if most people realized that they can't have a loving Pit in their tiny rear end apartment and just got a small breed the world would be a much better place with way less Pits in shelters because people just always want the hot-ticket status breed instead of something that actually suits their circumstances.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

bichon brisé

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Chihuahuas generally have good temperaments, so do Bichons (which is one of the most well mannered breeds). There's just an odd stereotype against them because, as usual, chihuahuas were (and still are) a popular breed, and when a breed is popular the amount of incompetent owners increases proportionally. I've known as many heinously poorly trained Pirs, Labs, Retrievers, Shibas, etc. as any other breed. If the breed is popular it will have tons of examples of irresponsible owners. People buy and adopt dogs on a whim.

People just project weird personal poo poo onto animals. From all the vet tech work I've done I've known a staggering amount of people with animus against small breeds because they consider them "gay" or effete. People who treat dogs as status symbols are uniformly garbage. So do people who instinctually loathe breeds because of the owner's stupidity.

At least have some awareness of your own brainless bias before getting bizarrely mad at small dogs.

Honestly if most people realized that they can't have a loving Pit in their tiny rear end apartment and just got a small breed the world would be a much better place with way less Pits in shelters because people just always want the hot-ticket status breed instead of something that actually suits their circumstances.

Little white dogs DO suck rear end, tho