Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who's the mustachioed dork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

feedmyleg posted:

Who's the mustachioed dork?

Turn on your monitor.
Clint Gage from IGN, it's in the description

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I shaved my mustache last week, thank you very much.

Also, Natasia mentioned that Jeff is still alive with his unfinished business. I really hope he comes back next season just to get his rear end ghost-busted.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hope they write up a longer than typical season so when we do get a season 3 they'll be able to make up some lost time

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Senor Tron posted:

I've now fallen down a hole of watching the messages he's recorded on his Cameo. Some cameos are clearly lazy cash grabs, but it seems like he puts real effort into them.

https://www.cameo.com/kayvan_novak
that website is possibly the saddest thing i've ever seen and i used to work in a kitten crushing factory

edit: lol jackie dayton somehow confuses a borat impression for henry VIII, what an odd thing for a regular human bartender to do

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 9, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

InsertPotPun posted:

that website is possibly the saddest thing i've ever seen and i used to work in a kitten crushing factory

edit: lol jackie dayton somehow confuses a borat impression for henry VIII, what an odd thing for a regular human bartender to do

That's just the way they it in Ar-i-zone-i-aaaaaaa.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We need a Jackie Daytona/Mickey Guillermo spin-off.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Good interview with Matt Berry, on his career in general and What We Do in the Shadows specifically:

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/bullseye-with-jesse-thorn/matt-berry-on-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-toast-of-london-and-more/

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Good interview with Matt Berry, on his career in general and What We Do in the Shadows specifically:

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/bullseye-with-jesse-thorn/matt-berry-on-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-toast-of-london-and-more/

He’s delightful to listen to thank you for sharing.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

2019: https://www.reddit.com/r/GreatBriti...tm_source=share

2020: https://www.reddit.com/r/bakeoff/comments/gw9vh8/look_who_showed_up_last_night_on_what_we_do_in/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

:aaaaa:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

woah

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1288212856958119936?s=20

https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/1288153380318089217?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 29, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I got to the episode with Laszlo's musical talents.

"Stroke, stroke, stroke your cock". God drat this show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait, did they bring in a big name actor to play Jackie Daytona? Who was it? I was concentrating too much on Mark Hamill I guess.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm also super glad Nadja's actress was able to convince the show runners to not make her the straight character. It would've been so much worse if she'd been the stereotypical sitcom woman who exists only to make frowny faces and disapprove of her fat and stupid husband's antics.

Instead she gets to be just as stupid and crazy as Laszlo and Nandor, albeit in her own ways. For instance in the music episode she was genuinely impressed by Laszlo's surprising rhyming of "cream" with "cream".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Der Shovel posted:

I'm also super glad Nadja's actress was able to convince the show runners to not make her the straight character. It would've been so much worse if she'd been the stereotypical sitcom woman who exists only to make frowny faces and disapprove of her fat and stupid husband's antics.

Instead she gets to be just as stupid and crazy as Laszlo and Nandor, albeit in her own ways. For instance in the music episode she was genuinely impressed by Laszlo's surprising rhyming of "cream" with "cream".

I remember reading that Kaitlin Olson did the same thing with Always Sunny. The 'Straight Woman' cliche definitely needs to be done away with

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe it is AMC that currently has a show in development with the working title "Kevin can go gently caress himself" which is about a woman stuck in sitcom wife hell.

The name comes from the fact that the Kevin James CBS show "Kevin Can Wait" decided between seasons to unceremoniously kill off the wife character to bring in Leah Remini in order to try and get some of that King of Queens nostalgia.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, Nadja is one of the best in the cast and the entire Gregor storyline was hysterical. They did a great job of finding someone who could deliver as strong of a performance as Matt Berry gives. Her line readings are less bombastic (usually) but just as funny.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I really hope they lean into it and next season there's a Nadja episode where she runs aways and hides under the assumed name Jackie Daytona

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I love them all but I think Nadja makes me laugh the hardest.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Colin is probably my favorite. The whole emotional vampire concept makes me chuckle just thinking about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On a lesser show, Colin would be a one-note gag. But here he ends up elevating the show more than any other single element.

I love them all, but Matt Berry is just impossible to beat in my book. I just think pompous assholes are the funniest drat thing.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

I believe you mean Colinrobinson, friend.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

On a lesser show, Colin would be a one-note gag. But here he ends up elevating the show more than any other single element.

I love them all, but Matt Berry is just impossible to beat in my book. I just think pompous assholes are the funniest drat thing.

Yeah Matt Berry is just firing on all cylinders constantly. Speaks volumes though that literally everyone else is almost coming up to his level. Not a weak link in the whole bunch.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Yeah Matt Berry is just firing on all cylinders constantly. Speaks volumes though that literally everyone else is almost coming up to his level. Not a weak link in the whole bunch.

Matt Berry is what got me onboard, loved the dude since Dark Place. But you're right, the rest of the cast nails it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think every character takes turns at being the "straight character"--they always have moments where they shake their heads at the stupidity or ridiculousness of the others or turning to the camera and rolling their eyes then seguing back into their own over the top traits.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

"fah-king guy"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The name comes from the fact that the Kevin James CBS show "Kevin Can Wait" decided between seasons to unceremoniously kill off the wife character to bring in Leah Remini in order to try and get some of that King of Queens nostalgia.

Erinn Hayes was on Comedy Bang Bang a few months ago and she talked a bit about people trying to analyze the clues to determine how her character died. That one bit was probably funnier than the cumulative work of Kevin James.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

empty baggie posted:

"fah-king guy"

*Cough* *cough* "a-no-ya-loving-didnt"

Might be my favorite 3 seconds of any tv ever

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Matt Berry has done really well for himself in his niche, and I've got nothing but respect for him for that.

But here in the UK he is the voiceover on what feels like half of all commercials, especially if they're on the radio, plus people that are being soundalikes for him.

So he's my least favourite of the 3, for no other reason that I am personally sick of his schtick. Nothing against the guy.

Nadja is the funniest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Der Shovel posted:

Good lord, is that what happened? How is that still happening? Can you imagine Always Sunny or this show as originally conceived with the woman being an obnoxious nag? Holy poo poo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

a lovely king posted:

Matt Berry has done really well for himself in his niche, and I've got nothing but respect for him for that.

But here in the UK he is the voiceover on what feels like half of all commercials, especially if they're on the radio, plus people that are being soundalikes for him.

Like that one dwarf?

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

a lovely king posted:

So he's my least favourite of the 3, for no other reason that I am personally sick of his schtick. Nothing against the guy.

Nadja is the funniest.

I get how being around his schtick 24/7 would do that, but I'm now walking around my place chuckling to myself that his life is mirroring Toast in any way.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PoultryHammock posted:

I get how being around his schtick 24/7 would do that, but I'm now walking around my place chuckling to myself that his life is mirroring Toast in any way.

Matt Berry actually based Toast of London on his experiences doing voice over work. He was just starting out at the time and happy to get any work he could get, but a some of the other older actors who had been in the business longer were a lot more impatient, unhappy to be there, and ruder to the production staff and that's what he based the character of Toast on.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Actually now that I think about the one character that is almost entirely a "straight man" may be the Nadja Doll.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Good lord, is that what happened? How is that still happening? Can you imagine Always Sunny or this show as originally conceived with the woman being an obnoxious nag? Holy poo poo.

You framing it as "obnoxious nag" isn't quite the intent these pitches were going for in the first place. "Actually well put together, reasoned and intelligent," is how it's typically framed. You know, the idea that the woman would have some clarity on the situation. It's only when you look at it from the perspective people cheering on the idiots (doing idiotic stuff, and worse) that the perceived framing of the character changes. But the way it's typically presented in the first instance is the-woman=smart=successful over the-men=thick-as-poo poo=failures.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
This is going to sound like bullshit but my partner and I have somehow managed to find energy vampires in each of our lives over the last few months, which is making the rewatch of the show both difficult and even more hilarious.

Hers: a friend of a friend who is a classic emotional vampire - does weird things for attention, constantly embroiled in some form of self-created drama, to the chagrin of everyone else in their mutual friends group. "Accidentally" taking soccer player type dives in public places so she's the center of attention for a while.

Mine: a new coworker who is an absolute master punisher - starting long, long conversations about irrelevant topics, giving way too much backstory about something, actively forgetting things during conversations and making you watch him remember them in realtime. The type of guy who asks you a question and immediately follows with "I'll tell you why I ask.." and boring the living poo poo out of you for the next 20 minutes. It's honestly made my working week more stressful because he sits across from me and I can't avoid him; I keep my headphones on most of the time now to avoid interacting with him.

The freaky kicker? I am genuinely, genuinely not making this up, but their names are Colin and Evie.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Is your bartender named Jackie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Concatenation posted:

The freaky kicker? I am genuinely, genuinely not making this up, but their names are Colin and Evie.

THAT CAN'T BE TRUE